The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Video Games

Notices

Old 10-25-2011, 02:27 PM   #1
Turo602
The King of Kings

Grand Theft Auto V

That's right guys, Grand Theft Auto V has been confirmed. Watch out for the first trailer November 2nd.

This is really great news.
Old 10-25-2011, 02:30 PM   #2
The Stryker
Stupid Rich

Why?

GTA4 was a borefest.

@~<3 Mom~@
The Stryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 02:35 PM   #3
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker View Post
Why?

GTA4 was a borefest.
In many technical ways it was a step down from GTA San Andreas but I wouldn't call it a borefest at all.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 02:42 PM   #4
Spitfire
Writer • Director

Saint's Row 2 blew GTA 4 out of the water so I'll be interested in what they learned. Probably nothing because everyone still bought 4 despite them removing everything from the previous games that made them fun. SR seems like the spiritual successor to that. Why you'd take out all the customization options, weapons, gang recruiting, and stat building is beyond me. When a PS2 game has a bigger map and more content to offer then a next gen game there's something of a problem there.
Old 10-25-2011, 02:49 PM   #5
Turo602
The King of Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Saint's Row 2 blew GTA 4 out of the water so I'll be interested in what they learned. Probably nothing because everyone still bought 4 despite them removing everything from the previous games that made them fun. SR seems like the spiritual successor to that. Why you'd take out all the customization options, weapons, gang recruiting, and stat building is beyond me. When a PS2 game has a bigger map and more content to offer then a next gen game there's something of a problem there.
I wouldn't say that it blew it out of the water. Both games were really great IMO. They both did two different things. Saint's Row went for a more exaggerated and over the top approach while GTA IV went for a more realistic approach. The game did a great job of doing what it was going for. Can you seriously picture Nico Bellic customizing cars, recruiting gangs, etc. etc. I can't, it's just not his character. That fit San Andreas' atmosphere a whole lot more. I'm not trying to say the game was perfect, just trying to say that it's not a big deal.

Last edited by Turo602; 10-25-2011 at 03:03 PM.
Turo602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 03:26 PM   #6
The Stryker
Stupid Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
In many technical ways it was a step down from GTA San Andreas but I wouldn't call it a borefest at all.
Virtual hanging out with your cousin. EXCITEMENT.

The best thing about GTA4 was the sections where you're drunk.

@~<3 Mom~@
The Stryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 03:35 PM   #7
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
I never hung out with him once, too busy keeping the 4 girlfriends happy.
Old 10-25-2011, 05:40 PM   #8
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

I hope they'll make the driving less realistic... I had to take the Taxi more then once.

I think I wrecked more cars in GTA IV then I did in Saint's Row 2
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 07:02 PM   #9
rav4ge
Foot Soldier

Quote:

The best thing about GTA4 was the sections where you're drunk.
Hanging out with Roman was totally optional past a few missions, but if that's what you found the most exhilarating, great. Whatever floats your boat.

I loved GTA IV on the PC. It's probably my favorite PC gaming experience next to what TF2 originally was. The city is just so well done, and I found the story so compelling that I would just do mission after mission and never much of anything else. It's actually something I hope they do improve upon for GTAV. When I wasn't doing missions I didn't see anything else worth doing aside from screwing around, social activities, and just driving around to marvel at the city. The gunplay also got pretty stale towards the end.

If they took a few notes from Saint's Row (which I'm sure they will) and beefed up the customization, added more non-mission activities, this game would be something of my dreams. I'm a sucker for Rockstar's storytelling and game design.
Old 10-25-2011, 07:28 PM   #10
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choppy View Post
If they took a few notes from Saint's Row (which I'm sure they will) and beefed up the customization, added more non-mission activities, this game would be something of my dreams. I'm a sucker for Rockstar's storytelling and game design.
All they need to do is bring back all the stuff they took out that San Andreas had and package it in a GTA4 quality (or higher) engine and I'd be perfectly happy.
Old 10-26-2011, 01:26 AM   #11
XERO
Hybrid Theorist

San Andreas will always be my favorite. I'm not too big on the other GTAs.

"Travel at the speed of light... then hit the nitro!"
XERO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 07:48 AM   #12
Peanut
Second Gear

The series peaked with Vice City. San Andreas was so overblown with half-baked ideas that at a certain point it folded in on itself. Also, it's f*cking awful as soon as you're in the country side and need to drive 20 minutes to get anywhere.

GTAIV had the best gunplay and overall control of all the games, but that's not saying much. As far as the story is concerned, it becomes immediately worthless the moment Nico starts to do sh*t for drug dealers and corrupt politicians for no reason at all. "Oh, I hate dee killing" "Will you kill this person for me?" "Yes."

The story had a chance to be great, but as Rockstar has a tendency to do, it collapses part way through. You start out taking interesting missions from interesting characters, then move on to take on boring missions from cardboard cutouts. Also, how can you take any of the social interactions seriously when you show up to a date in a half destroyed semi with blood splattered all over the hood? It's always great that you can simply run someone over I get in a 10 car pileup and your casual flirty conversation will continue unabated. I know that penalizing you for something that's completely unavoidable in an open world game would be awful, but that doesn't stop their attempts at storytelling in that setting from falling apart entirely.

Also, the ending was awful. I spent time hanging with Roman, but due to an arbitrary choice, they killed that girl who I spent 0 time with. Net result? Who gives a f*ck?
Peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 02:41 PM   #13
Spitfire
Writer • Director

That's why GTA games should spend less time taking themselves seriously and more time about being off the wall and fun. The funny radio stations seem like odd leftovers in GTA 4 when most of the game is trying to be more realistic and "dark".
Old 10-26-2011, 06:46 PM   #14
Peanut
Second Gear

That's what Saint's Row is for. GTA needs to continue down the path it started on with IV, it can't suddenly make a u-turn and try and become what Saint's Row has become - the clear continuation of San Andreas.

I've honestly come to terms with the kinds of games Rockstar puts out and my expectations are firmly in place where GTAV is concerned. It's guaranteed to start with a bang and be immediately captivating, lose some of its potency as they begin to introduce boring character and missions that require you to start over several times due to pure jank, then drag its feet for about 10 hours towards an extremely unsatisfying conclusion.
Old 11-02-2011, 11:35 AM   #15
Peanut
Second Gear

Trailer looks boring. GTAIV in LA. Yippee...
Old 11-03-2011, 06:23 PM   #16
Redeemer
Technodrome Technician

O wow I could have guessed that......IDK my fav gran theft auto was san adreas
Redeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 12:58 PM   #17
The Deadman
Foot Elite

Take-Two Has Shipped 65 Million Copies Of Grand Theft Auto V

Last Movie Watched: Leprechaun Origins (2014).
Last TV Show Watched: Adventures of Sonic The Hedgehog (S1:E11).
The Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 02:10 PM   #18
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Finally finished it. Pretty great! Some of the missions where all 3 characters have to work together to pull off big jobs is pretty pretty. Also, I don't normally sign the praises of voice actors but this game was definitely elevated by the 3 different leads' voices.

Like in GTA4 I missed things that were in San Andreas, in GTA5 I missed things that were in GTA4. Little things. The comedy clubs, for one. But man, so immersive.