The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 12-11-2018, 12:55 AM   #1
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Netflix Carmen Sandeigo is coming in January

A new animated Carmen Sandiego series, starring Gina Roderiguez (“Jane the Virgin”), is set to premiere Jan. 18 on Netflix. Based on the educational computer franchise of the same name, the series will feature 20 22-minute episodes with fellow star Finn Wolfhard and executive producers Duane Capizzi and CJ Kettler while exploring why the super thief became a criminal in the first place.

https://variety.com/2018/tv/news/net...te-1203086151/
Old 12-11-2018, 09:17 AM   #2
sdp
Megan Fox = April

There was another thread about this IIRC. She looks too young but I guess it works since it's an origin story. Netflix doesn't have the best track record on animated shows but I'm excited, carmen sandiego is cool, i always liked the game show, computer game and cartoon. I just hope they don't make Carmen too relatable, she's supposed to be a thief at the end of the day. Maybe we can get a new computer or mobile game out of it.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 10:08 PM   #3
ProactiveMan
Spooky ghost

Exploring why people from Latin America cannot be trusted, and the secrete origins of tude-face.
Old 01-20-2019, 07:09 PM   #4
Shark_Blade
Emperor

Finally got to see this on Netflix. The first episode, at first I thought it's kinda slow, but 10 minutes in I was hooked. The animation is beautiful, the choice of colors is grand and contemporary modern. I was used to womanly voice for Carmen, but this young adult Carmen works too.

This new Carmen show is entertaining and engaging. The protagonist is not a whiny brat - she's calm and collected, calculative and intelligent in her conversations, there's no shoved-in stupid clingy lesbian scenes like in the new awful She-Ra and the males look like males (boo female looking males in She-Ra).

I think what's truly lacking is a catchy intro song. The old show was so catchy and epic but the new one is too relaxy and slow.

Overall, Carmen is a must-watch and is on my marathon list. Lovely reboot.
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 11:45 PM   #5
Storm Eagle
Saved by

I've seen the first five episodes so far, and I've noticed a couple of Easter eggs. In the first episode, Julia says "I'm not really much of a math detective" when this math problem was presented to her by Chase Devineaux. Then in the second episode, in the scene where Carmen is on the elevator with Cookie Booker, the tune of the Where on Earth theme song is playing as elevator music.
Storm Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 11:59 PM   #6
newfan
Mad Scientist

I only just came across this show, seen about 4 eps. I don't know much about the character prior so can't compare on how they've done it. I like her design.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 12:08 AM   #7
Voltron
Handsomest Boy in School

This is why we need The Wall.
Old 01-21-2019, 01:36 AM   #8
Shark_Blade
Emperor

It has tonnes of references to the old show. Here’s what I picked up on:

1. Player (who acts as intel now) was a ref to the Player in the old show who previously play the game “Where on Earth is Carmen Sandiego” to catch Carmen.

2. Zack and Ivy were ACME detectives previously but now they’re sidekicks for Carmen. Both are still brother and sister but Zack has red hair instead of blonde.

3. (Mentioned previously in this thread) When Carmen was trying to steal the VILE hard drive, the elevator scene plays the tune from previous Carmen Sandiego theme song.

Ah, I love this show so much. The twist at the end was so good, very good storytelling throughout the series. I can see there’s a lot of thoughts and love put into making this. Gonna rewatch all over again.

Can’t wait for season 2.
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 07:55 PM   #9
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Netflix Carmen Sandieog is not bad, here are my full thoughts on the show. But basically the show is surprisingly decent despite that Carmen is Robin Hood here and feels more like a Lara Croft Tomb Raider cartoon with martial arts for whatever reason. It's not an amazing show either, but pretty decent that makes you forget that they totally got Carmen Sandiego's character wrong.

The show is full of SJW character designs but for the most part they work and no big complains from me except for maybe Zack and Ivy who I never expected to come back, my problems isn't even that they're now pudgy teenagers for diversity but that they used to be child geniuses and now just do whatever Carmen tells them to do and don't seem very skilled at what they do either. The theme song seems like it tried to imitate 007 intro songs more than anything but I like it a lot even if they don't copy mozart this time.
Old 01-21-2019, 10:54 PM   #10
Storm Eagle
Saved by

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post

The show is full of SJW character designs
What would those be?

I have to say that I'm not sure they had diversity in body type in mind when the design of Ivy was created, and Zack isn't pudgy at all.
Storm Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 04:37 AM   #11
drgon78
Mad Scientist

So now she is a good guy Robbin Hood type character, wow did they get that wrong.
drgon78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 10:28 AM   #12
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Since it's such a short season and they're promoting it a lot with a live action movie in production I'm guessing that we're both going to get a second season in just a few months which are the episodes held back and a "movie", similar to how Stretch Armstrong and the Flex fighters did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drgon78 View Post
So now she is a good guy Robbin Hood type character, wow did they get that wrong.
Not entirely, there are plenty of times when you can see this being the real Carmen Sandiego, it's just some cringe worthy dialog here and there that messes it up. Previous interpretations had her from being outright evil who didn't care if millions died, to her being a "gray" villain, to just doing it for fun/she liked it in the tamer versions. She's just so much cooler as a mysterious person and a villain who you know ALWAYS gets away, what made her awesome and most of that is lost here. Still a decent show with all things against it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Eagle View Post
What would those be?

I have to say that I'm not sure they had diversity in body type in mind when the design of Ivy was created, and Zack isn't pudgy at all.
They're all over the place, I can't even remember most but as I said it's not a problem and they blend into the show organically, except for Ivy. Chief being a black woman for example works great unlike the previous chief from the cartoon even if she evokes too much Amanda Waller and this being a all around the world show it works perfectly, as I said no complains from me besides Ivy and Zack, all the others worked fine and fit rather well.

As far as the exception the original show had Ivy being the muscle of the team for the most part and being able to do all kinds of crazy stunts, more so than Zack and now she's fat. Zack was a genius and now he's a lanky doofus. They made them both redheads when only Ivy was I guess for consistency since they're blood brothers but they look like regular redheads you'd see in real life which makes no sense for the sidekicks of Carmen Sandiego, not that them being sidekicks of Carmen Sandiego isn't a bigger problem. I mean I never expected them to bring the characters to the new show and I'm glad they at least got this even if they entirely missed the point of them.

Zack and Ivy worked so well because it gave power to "you" since it meant you could be the one who could stop this master criminal, also the "user" was literally meant to be you who helped Zack and Ivy get to Carmen and here he's an actual character, which I actually liked but yeah doesn't work as well.
Old 01-22-2019, 03:07 PM   #13
drgon78
Mad Scientist

The designs for Ivy and Zack are terrible.
drgon78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 12:25 PM   #14
newfan
Mad Scientist

Only 9 eps, my children and I were enjoying watching that.
Liked the twist at the end.
It's easier for me to take this as it is not having seen the previous show.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 01:54 PM   #15
TurtleTitan97
Space Cowboy

I thought it was a decent show as well. Interested in what happens next.

TurtleTitan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 10:19 AM   #17
Vicky82
Emperor

Just finished watching season 2, it was great, better than season 1. It had a bit more a serious tone this season.

Spoiler:
Carmen finds out more about her parents. Her Dad, Dexter Wolfe was a former Vile faculty and decided to leave to start a new life but Shadow-San was going to kill him but Dexter ends up getting shot by police, it was actually the Chief of A.C.M.E who shot him.

Her Mother Vera Cruz faked her own death, Carmen and Shadow-San actually dug up her coffin to find it empty, so she's alive somewhere and Carmen is hoping to find her.

Vicky82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 07:57 PM   #18
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Finished watching the second season and overall it's a much better show now than before. It's more james bondy/martial artsy I guess, no stealing no nothing but at the very least Carmen doesn't have groan inducing dialog like "I'm a good thief that steals from the bad to give to the good" or whatever she was doing in the first season.

The overall arc and mystery was entertaining to see through and I'm captivated. Still, she is #notmycarmen and the show is nothing like what carmen sandiego should be, but overall better than the first season. I hope they hint at carmen becoming evil but I doubt it since they're going for the #girlpower money audience. We should've gotten more of the french detective btw.

Hope we see another season and didn't netflix announce a live action movie?

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfan View Post
It's easier for me to take this as it is not having seen the previous show.
Well Carmen Sandiego isn't a previous show, it's a computer game and she's always been a villain, or at the very least gray villain. The show was a cool adaptation of the computer game but was not a bible for what carmen san diego should be, and overall the carmen sandiego canon is very weird and open to interpretation, except one thing. Carmen is a thief and the villain and gets away no matter how smart the player is.
Old 04-24-2020, 10:35 AM   #19
ranger_scout
Foot Elite

The show has been renewed for a third season.

https://twitter.com/CarmenSandiego/s...15576209448961
ranger_scout is offline   Reply With Quote