The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion

Notices

Old 01-20-2019, 03:21 PM   #181
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Crave Pizza No More View Post
Just because they weren't as popular does not mean they weren't popular. Toy aisles were still dominated by the TMNT at the time.
I searched the Youtube for 1991, 1992 and 1993 toy advertisements (just for fun) and found, except for TMNT (not all included):

=1991=
Bucky O' Hare

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9u86y33LeqA

Captain Planet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QNcmKTPS9E

GI Joe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfeZ84926PY

Sonic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rXkWiR_vhg

=1992=
Alien films

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpYMfflioJE

Monster Face

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33jqJcYFf5c

=1993=
Crash Dummies

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYE-TfK6ET8

Jurassic Park

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfue-clAuyc

Mighty Max

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkrLWjNxYbY

Power Rangers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9FOiVZxE7U

One thing I think was interesting was how many of the others actually looked like their cartoon, comic or live-action counterparts.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 05:03 PM   #182
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
I searched the Youtube for 1991, 1992 and 1993 toy advertisements (just for fun) and found, except for TMNT (not all included):

=1991=
Bucky O' Hare

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9u86y33LeqA

Captain Planet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QNcmKTPS9E

GI Joe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfeZ84926PY

Sonic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rXkWiR_vhg

=1992=
Alien films

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpYMfflioJE

Monster Face

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33jqJcYFf5c
The Turtles were important to the Bush 41 years, but Barbie’s new-found popularity after the 30th anniversary of the successful Mattel doll line and the Nintendo versus Sega Genesis wars were also.

I did not comment on the boys action figure and toy lines of 1993 because 1993 felt like a different time for me. Those were the Clinton days. The Clinton years were not as fun to adult collectors and observers as the years 1978 to 1992 were. Of course, the toys made from 1990 to 1992 were not all enticing to look at as the ones made before that point in history. Some action figure lines and select figures were neat like the 1991 Kenner Bill and Ted Excellent Adventure line, 1990 Kenner The Real Ghostbusters Slimed Heroes, 1991 Kenner The Real Ghostbusters Ecto Glow Heroes, the early Toy Biz The Uncanny X-Men figures, and 1992 Kenner Batman Returns Catwoman figure to name a few.

Quote:
And in which way is 1990 a 1980's year?
People who look back on the 1990s in hindsight see the year 1991 as the first time in the 1990s when the 90s were closer to the 2000s. Technically, the release of the Super Nintendo was not much different from the Nintendo GameCube being sold for the first time in the US in the 2000s. The anticipation was there from most children and teenagers in 1991 like it was in 2001. Mid 1991 was still a part of the Bush 41 era as a whole and closer to the late 80s than 2001 was. So, as you might have imagined, there were quite a few teenagers who were upset at the sound of a new Nintendo Entertainment System coming to the US in the summer of 1991 because people did not start owning them until the years 1988 to 1990. Believe it or not, there were a large number of consumers (including those aforementioned teenagers) ready to move on to the future and pick up a new Super Nintendo console.

Last edited by mikey0; 01-20-2019 at 06:55 PM.
mikey0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 08:36 PM   #183
I Crave Pizza No More
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey0 View Post
People who look back on the 1990s in hindsight see the year 1991 as the first time in the 1990s when the 90s were closer to the 2000s. Technically, the release of the Super Nintendo was not much different from the Nintendo GameCube being sold for the first time in the US in the 2000s.
I have no idea what you're getting at here with the chronology. What are you basing your 1991 claim on--is it just by virtue that it was the start of the decade? As a kid, and in hindsight, I don't associate 1991 with 2000.

Furthermore, while I have a soft spot for the GameCube, its release and subsequent lack of success is not comparable to the popularity the SNES enjoyed--and the nostalgia people still have for it.

Also, as an aside, talking about eras in terms of presidential terms seems really strange, as if who was president had a direct impact on the types of toys being made and their quality. It's not as if Clinton won in '92 and then toy manufacturers rolled out new designs on account of it in '93.

Anyway, I've enjoyed this conversation as a whole but feel as though it's become awfully dogmatic. You clearly have your preferences and enjoyed the TMNT figures in their first couple of years. For me, and for my two best friends growing up, most of our favorite figures were released in 1991 or later. By 1993 TMNT's popularity was suffering but certainly not collapsed, and that wasn't because of subpar figures. The Fred Wolf cartoon might have been cool when a kid was 10 in 1989. When he was 14 in 1993? Maybe not so much. But again, take care--thanks for the conversation.
I Crave Pizza No More is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 11:54 PM   #184
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
I have no idea what you're getting at here with the chronology. What are you basing your 1991 claim on--is it just by virtue that it was the start of the decade? As a kid, and in hindsight, I don't associate 1991 with 2000.

Furthermore, while I have a soft spot for the GameCube, its release and subsequent lack of success is not comparable to the popularity the SNES enjoyed--and the nostalgia people still have for it.

Also, as an aside, talking about eras in terms of presidential terms seems really strange, as if who was president had a direct impact on the types of toys being made and their quality. It's not as if Clinton won in '92 and then toy manufacturers rolled out new designs on account of it in '93.

Anyway, I've enjoyed this conversation as a whole but feel as though it's become awfully dogmatic. You clearly have your preferences and enjoyed the TMNT figures in their first couple of years. For me, and for my two best friends growing up, most of our favorite figures were released in 1991 or later. By 1993 TMNT's popularity was suffering but certainly not collapsed, and that wasn't because of subpar figures. The Fred Wolf cartoon might have been cool when a kid was 10 in 1989. When he was 14 in 1993? Maybe not so much. But again, take care--thanks for the conversation.
I don’t necessarily associate 1991 to 2000 either, but Millennials who grew up in the 1990s tend to group the 1990s with the early 2000s. As you already know, the 1990s were sandwiched in between the 1980s and 2000s. The 1990s were a completely different day and age from the 1980s. With the 1980s, toy buyers were taken by surprise. Entering the 1990s, in the year 1990, was the most interesting part of the 1990s to the generations before Millennials. Everything changed once we started living within the rest of the 1990s, beginning in 1991.

The comparison between the Super Nintendo and GameCube was not necessary. The 1990s were closer in feeling to the early 2000s by the end of 1991 (we did not know that then), but the GameCube never took off like the Super Nintendo did in 1991. Bratz dolls outsold the GameCube in the year of its release.

You are very correct. The presidents did not have any impact on the types of toys being made and their quality whatsoever. For some odd reason, it is easier for me to make presidential administration and toy mashups like the website Vox did with TV shows and the past ten presidencies in 2017. It’s hard for me not to picture the original Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles toys, the Tim Burton Batman movies, American sitcom Roseanne, and Paula Abdul when the late former president George HW Bush comes up in a discussion. Toy designers were pitching ideas for 1993 in 1992 regardless of who was elected president in that year. The memories of the first few batches of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles toys, Michael Keaton as Batman, seasons 2 to 5 of Roseanne, and music of Paula Abdul are ingrained in the minds of just about everyone who was alive from 1989 to 1992 into the first month of 1993.

I did not mean to make any TMNT fans annoyed or upset with my comments on here. I recall coming across quite a few wave six and Sewer Sports All Stars Turtles toys in my travels earlier this decade. While Playmates Toys definitely lost some Mirage Comics fans with toys like Super Shredder, I must admit all of those 1991 basic wave and Sewer Sports All Stars toys were better than the action figures of the early 2010s. The first wave turtles are the most iconic TMNT toys to adult collectors, sellers, and photographers of toys nonetheless. I wish Playmates Toys had used the head, arm, leg, and torso molds of the 1988 turtles toys for the variants of 1991 to 1997.

I am going to be completely honest here. I liked how Playmates Toys handled most of the turtles variants in the 2k12 line. Also, I prefer the 2k12 versions of Muckman, Mondo Gecko, and Slash to the 1990 toys of those characters. The wide spread arms on the 1990 Mondo Gecko, cartoonish head sculpt for the 1990 Muckman, and short and bulky appearance to the 1990 Slash all would have discouraged me from buying them if I were a child in the early 1990s. It’s really too bad a 2k12 Wyrm toy was not produced for the first Nickelodeon line either. The 1990 to 1992 basic wave mutant allies and foes were akin to the 1984 to 1986 heroic and evil warriors in the 1981 Mattel Masters of the Universe line. Some original MOTU toy collectors can do with them or without them.

The one thing many adult toy collectors can agree on is the 1987 Mattel He-Man movie MOTU figures fit in better with the whole 1981 Mattel MOTU set better than the sixth wave Super Shredder, Tokka, and Rhazar toys do with every 1988 Playmates TMNT toy. As a toy observer with a preference for the Turtles toys in mainly the first three waves, I’m not going to dwell on the details of what I felt was right and wrong with the original toy line in the 90s. Toy sculptors of the 1980s had class. Then again, those were the 1980s. Thank you for this conversation also. Take good care of yourself, too.
Old 01-21-2019, 06:54 AM   #185
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

These were at the Toy and Hobby Show this past Saturday. Aside from that there was a set of 8 WWE crossover figures and Secret of the Ozze Classic set. Those were 20 dollars each. I picked up the Michelangelo of the SotO set.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190119_102309.jpg (97.1 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg 20190119_102332.jpg (98.8 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 20190119_102337.jpg (97.0 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 20190119_104147.jpg (97.2 KB, 14 views)
Old 01-21-2019, 07:35 AM   #186
Bill
Stone Warrior

Well, as a turtle fan, I loved the cardboard style from 1988 till 1992
but I must say I was really shock in 1990/1991 when instead of new characters the line was filled with variants.

Furthermore, I couldn´t get many 1989 releases (only Ace Duck
and General Tragg), back them. It wasn´t until 1994 that I found a 1994 re-release of Casey Jones and Baxter Stockman.

Finally in 1999 I found a 1999 Krang (Bubble walker and Android) in a Kay bee Toys, after that my passion seemed to decline buy never died.

It was in 2007 when my love for the Tmnt resurface, not because of the movie of that because a toystore named Spasticoverplastic was shutting down so I get many moc figures there.

It was only them I realized that the variants from 1989 (wacky action) till 1992 were amazing,the cardboard art, the molds, was briliant, therefore I collected many of them. All star sports, military, wild west, birthday, sewer spitting. Not only that, I loved 1993 and 1994 Farmer Mike and Don. The Universal monsters and warrior of the forgotten sewer were also amazing and in my opinion the line should have closed with the 1994 Undercover Turtles (in homage to the first episode"Turtle Tracks" when they started to use the fedoras and coats.

As a fan of both TMNT (the original toyline only) and Batman the Animated series I realized there is like a pattern, when the line is a success they started to make goofy variants like "pijama batman" lol.

Therefore I was angry them, but in the case of the tmnt the value that they added to each figure (new molds, details, accesories and cardboard art) make up for it.

In my opinion, there is no other line that create such a good "universe" of variants that (mostly) never existed in the 1987 show but with imagination you could play with them as well.
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 07:49 AM   #187
Overlord

Ronald Reagan

Quote:
The presidents did not have any impact on the types of toys being made and their quality whatsoever.
One of them did: Ronald Reagan

https://www.awn.com/animationworld/d...-optimus-prime
Old 01-21-2019, 07:56 AM   #188
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Those are always fun due to variety of items available from baseball cards to comics to action figures in or out of the package. I go for the Silver Age/Bronze Age comics three times a year, but you never know what TMNT merchandise is to be found. There was also the playset asking $200. Some wear on the box, but it had never been opened and had the original K.B. Toys price sticker on it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190119_120932.jpg (93.1 KB, 16 views)
Old 01-21-2019, 08:18 AM   #189
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
These were at the Toy and Hobby Show this past Saturday. Aside from that there was a set of 8 WWE crossover figures and Secret of the Ozze Classic set. Those were 20 dollars each. I picked up the Michelangelo of the SotO set.
Was a Rock ‘N Roll Mondo Gecko really necessary when boys in the latter part of the early 1990s already had Napoleon Bonafrog? From 1992 to 1995, there were a little over a couple of variants to characters in the 1990 and 1991 basic waves. Each one of those variants made me a bit appreciative of the original versions of those characters, especially Warrior Chromedome.

For a while there, I thought I liked the red “V” variant of Ray Fillet, but I do not.
Out of all of the characters on the table, I would have stuck with Fugitoid. The red weapons were always awful though. Thanks for sharing those photos of the Toy and Hobby Show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
Well, as a turtle fan, I loved the cardboard style from 1988 till 1992
but I must say I was really shock in 1990/1991 when instead of new characters the line was filled with variants.

Furthermore, I couldn´t get many 1989 releases (only Ace Duck
and General Tragg), back them. It wasn´t until 1994 that I found a 1994 re-release of Casey Jones and Baxter Stockman.

Finally in 1999 I found a 1999 Krang (Bubble walker and Android) in a Kay bee Toys, after that my passion seemed to decline buy never died.

It was in 2007 when my love for the Tmnt resurface, not because of the movie of that because a toystore named Spasticoverplastic was shutting down so I get many moc figures there.

It was only them I realized that the variants from 1989 (wacky action) till 1992 were amazing,the cardboard art, the molds, was briliant, therefore I collected many of them. All star sports, military, wild west, birthday, sewer spitting. Not only that, I loved 1993 and 1994 Farmer Mike and Don. The Universal monsters and warrior of the forgotten sewer were also amazing and in my opinion the line should have closed with the 1994 Undercover Turtles (in homage to the first episode"Turtle Tracks" when they started to use the fedoras and coats.

As a fan of both TMNT (the original toyline only) and Batman the Animated series I realized there is like a pattern, when the line is a success they started to make goofy variants like "pijama batman" lol.

Therefore I was angry them, but in the case of the tmnt the value that they added to each figure (new molds, details, accesories and cardboard art) make up for it.

In my opinion, there is no other line that create such a good "universe" of variants that (mostly) never existed in the 1987 show but with imagination you could play with them as well.
I wish toy online magazines, action figure news sites, or online vintage toy stores would show pictures of complete 1988 Playmates Toys Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles line collections. I imagine some of the basic wave toy variants are difficult to get and the enthusiasm for the original 1988 Playmates toy line from toy completists, who are not shellheads, isn’t there. Still, it would be great to see every 1988 to early 1991 toy (including the pop-up displays) in all of its glory against a white backdrop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
Those are always fun due to variety of items available from baseball cards to comics to action figures in or out of the package. I go for the Silver Age/Bronze Age comics three times a year, but you never know what TMNT merchandise is to be found. There was also the playset asking $200. Some wear on the box, but it had never been opened and had the original K.B. Toys price sticker on it.
The 1988 Playmates TMNT toy line should have been more like the 1984 Kenner Super Powers Collection or at least the 1990 Toy Biz Marvel Superheroes and 1991 Toy Biz The Uncanny X-Men action figure lines.

Last edited by mikey0; 01-21-2019 at 08:25 AM.
Old 01-21-2019, 08:29 AM   #190
Overlord

Quote:
Was a Rock ‘N Roll Mondo Gecko really necessary when boys in the latter part of the early 1990s already had Napoleon Bonafrog?
Or the original Mondo Gecko? Archie Mondo Gecko himself is already a former rock musican. Just equipping the original figure with an electric guitar would work fine.
Old 01-21-2019, 12:13 PM   #191
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
The Fred Wolf cartoon might have been cool when a kid was 10 in 1989.
The 1987 Fred Wolf TMNT cartoon was cool to generation Xers, XYers, and Millennials from 1989 to 1991 (especially 1989). Then, to the best of my understanding, The Ren and Stimpy Show on Nickelodeon became a cartoon hit in 1992 and lost relevance after 1994. Both Mighty Morphin’ Power Rangers and Power Rangers Zeo were the shows that children of the 1990s just could not ignore from 1994 to 1996.

Quote:
Or the original Mondo Gecko? Archie Mondo Gecko himself is already a former rock musican. Just equipping the original figure with an electric guitar would work fine.
Good point.

I would have liked to see more JcPenney and Sears toy sets for the original Playmates toy line as well. ‘The Bad-Guy Turtle set’ from the 1989 Sears Wishbook was impressive to me. Just imagine a 1990 or 1991 ‘Good-Guy Turtle set’ that consisted of Ray Fillet, Mike, The Sewer Surfer, and Napoleon Bonafrog. The 1990 ‘Bad-Guy Turtle set’ equivalent could have been Baxter Stockman, Rat King, and Scumbug with the 1991 set having Muckman and Joe Eyeball, Mutagen Man, and Pizzaface. A fusion of the ‘Action Turtle’ set with the ‘Good-Guy Turtle’ set would have been even better! A Ray Fillet, Mike, The Sewer Surfer, and Sewer Swimmin’ Donatello would have been the best for shellheads and adult toy collectors who only purchase the 1988 to 1990 toys from the original 1988 Playmates line. The JCPenney 1990 Toy Biz Batman action figure set mint in the sealed white box is rare on eBay. As a matter of fact, only a sealed bagged 1989 Toy Biz Joker and Batman from the JCPenney set are on the bay now.
Old 01-23-2019, 03:46 PM   #192
Overlord

Quote:
Did you like the 1987 Fred Wolf cartoon or the original Playmates toyline better in the late ‘80s and ‘90s?
I prefered the Fred Wolf cartoon for watching, the Archie comics for reading and the action figures for playing. I think that's what most of us did.
Old 01-24-2019, 02:01 PM   #193
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
I prefered the Fred Wolf cartoon for watching, the Archie comics for reading and the action figures for playing. I think that's what most of us did.
I remember seeing the first issues of Eastman and Laird’s TMNT Adventures all of the time on the comic book (especially the second one) and VHS rack at Kay Bee Toys in the very late 80s into the 90s. The Archie comics do not belong to the pop culture world like the Fred Wolf cartoon and original Playmates toy line do though. Seeing how Playmates Toys used clips from the Fred Wolf cartoon to sell the toys, I surmised that a large number of children in the very late 80s and Bush 41 90s favored the cartoon over the toys. I think more references to the Fred Wolf series are made in this time than action figure companies paying tribute to the Turtles toys of old. So, my vote is for the Fred Wolf cartoon.

Last edited by mikey0; 01-24-2019 at 03:53 PM.
Old 01-24-2019, 02:59 PM   #194
Overlord

Quote:
The Archie comics do not belong to the pop culture world.
In many countries, television access was very limited in pre-boradband years and there, the Archie comics became many children's main source for TMNT entertainment.
Old 01-24-2019, 03:49 PM   #195
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
In many countries, television access was very limited in pre-boradband years and there, the Archie comics became many children's main source for TMNT entertainment.
In this country, the Archie Adventures comics were quite popular from 1989 to 1991 or mid ‘92. Sadly, the Archie comics were never on the level of the 1987 syndicated Fred Wolf cartoon. But the Archie Adventures comics were perfect for fans of the original Playmates toy line. The Archie comics worked as a much greater toy commercial for the original Playmates line than both versions of the Fred Wolf cartoon from 1990 to 1995.
Old 01-24-2019, 06:17 PM   #196
TheMasterTurtle
Mad Scientist

Quote:
The Archie comics worked as a much greater toy commercial for the original Playmates line than both versions of the Fred Wolf cartoon from 1990 to 1995.
...Source?

Do you have any Dinosaucers or a lead on where to get anything related to the show? PM Me Please!

Check out my collection!
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=39766
TheMasterTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 07:00 PM   #197
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMasterTurtle View Post
...Source?
That was an opinion. I was going by the covers I’ve seen over the years.

Last edited by mikey0; 01-24-2019 at 09:52 PM.
Old 01-27-2019, 05:56 AM   #198
Overlord

The Archie and Fleetway comics could at least market TMNT toys on their back pages with much less parents complaining, compared to television.
Old 01-27-2019, 07:41 AM   #199
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
The Archie and Fleetway comics could at least market TMNT toys on their back pages with much less parents complaining, compared to television.
Still, the 1987 Fred Wolf syndicated animated series was the ultimate 30 minute toy commercial to come out of the 1980s. It was the only 30 minute toy commercial to outlive the better cartoons that were made to sell toys. I think the problem was the Fred Wolf cartoon was based of the Mirage Comics comic book and not a franchise that was made to be the answer to Star Wars or Shogun Warriors. Children and teenagers of the very late 80s and Bush 41 90s (early 90s) alike were blown away so much by the visuals of the 1987 Fred Wolf cartoon that many of them did not care that the turtles started out as comic book spoofs of the heros and anti-heroes before them.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles toys were the angriest looking toys of the late 80s and early 1990s. The card art of TMNT toys in the first to third waves perfectly matched the gritty, underground side to the late 80s and early 1990s (the period when the crime rate in America was rising sharply). Children of the early 1990s were mimicking the Jim Henson turtles around each other in the months following the release of the first movie in theaters. It was difficult for parents not to complain.

Last edited by mikey0; 01-27-2019 at 08:43 AM.
Old 01-27-2019, 08:41 AM   #200
Overlord

Quote:
Still, the 1987 Fred Wolf syndicated animated series was the ultimate 30 minute toy commercial to come out of the 1980s.
In Sweden, advertising to children under 12 is illegal. TV 3 Sweden aired from London to avoid these laws enacted by the Parliament of Sweden. So I still saw a lot of toy commercials, but for some reasons, not many for TMNT toys. I guess they were afraid of parents complaining.