Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Rise of the TMNT Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 04-19-2018, 06:42 PM   #4041
Donatello19
Merchandise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleWA View Post
I don’t think the line was “basically dead.” Karai was released before the Super Shredder wave. Before the Out Of The Shadows movie. Before either of the WWE waves. Before Muckman. Before tons and tons of other figures. Karai was released more in the middle of the line in my opinion. The line had a lot of life left after Karai was released.
Fair enough. But I know that, around me at least, the toys weren't selling nearly as well as they used to at the time she came out...which only made stores stock them less, which made Karai even harder to find.

Again, just speaking for my area/local stores that I bought the figures at. I don't know if it was the same for everyone.
Old 04-19-2018, 08:37 PM   #4042
sdp
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
I'm sure some of it has to do with my political inclinations, but I'd say a good chunk of that disparagement comes from marketing mishaps that I've seen happen in the marketplace.

We've heard from both Paul dini and Giancarlo Volpe about the role that toy companies play in the life of an animated series.

Marketing companies consider a large female fan presence as detrimental to the selling potential of what they deem to be a primarily male property.

Disney, who makes most of their money off of their princess lines, changed the name s of their Rapunzel and Snow Queen movies try to win over a male Market.
Dini and Volpe don't work in marketing, any thing they heard is not from a direct source. I don't think it'd be as detrimental as it is that it doesn't matter.

So in the case of say Young Justice, ratings were good because of female viewership but the toyline failed and the CN wasn't making their money back with advertising on the show so it didn't help. I have no idea, this is what I remember reading online, obviously I don't know what really happened but I also doubt this was the only reason if not why did every other DC action show at that time fail?

And I'm just trying to show the other side of the coin, it's not a "evil corporation doesn't want girls to like product", more of a it doesn't work at best and "why bother if it tends to not work" at worst. Of course there's going to be exceptions with idiotic decisions like the Avatar The Last Airbender toyline that had no Katara but I"d say that's an exception.

I think the general consensus of all toy fans is we need more figures of females, the problem is kids still buy the majority of them and a few adult nerds won't do it. And yes you can list exceptions but it doesn't usually work if your name is not Star Wars for example.

The more female TMNT figures/mutants the better I say, but we'll see. Rise being such a different take might be the best bet to hope for it. For figures? I wouldn't count on it in a world where even Donatello struggles to get figures released.
Old 04-19-2018, 08:50 PM   #4043
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donatello19 View Post
Fair enough. But I know that, around me at least, the toys weren't selling nearly as well as they used to at the time she came out...which only made stores stock them less, which made Karai even harder to find.

Again, just speaking for my area/local stores that I bought the figures at. I don't know if it was the same for everyone.
Yeah I agree. It definitely depends on location. And I’m not just talking about a state having more or less than another state. I’ve seen a big difference in store stock in neighboring cities. Walmart’s only like 15 minuets apart and one usually has better inventory.
Old 04-21-2018, 12:02 AM   #4044
Papenbrook
*The King of Nothing*

Will Donatello still have his (technically) "pacifistic" side?
Old 04-21-2018, 12:11 AM   #4045
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papenbrook View Post
Will Donatello still have his (technically) "pacifistic" side?
Possibly. This Donatello looks pretty chill to me just like the 2003 one, and I have doubt he will have a high temper like his 1987 and 2012 counterparts.

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
Old 04-22-2018, 06:58 AM   #4046
Papenbrook
*The King of Nothing*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
Possibly. This Donatello looks pretty chill to me just like the 2003 one, and I have doubt he will have a high temper like his 1987 and 2012 counterparts.

Um ...

Spoiler:

He doesn't seem chill, at least to me ...

He also seems to be adverse to nature ...

Spoiler:

Was Donatello ever like this?

On another note, I hope that we'll get to witness "Leonerdo".

Last edited by Papenbrook; 04-23-2018 at 05:29 AM.
Old 04-22-2018, 07:11 AM   #4047
Metalwolf
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
So in the case of say Young Justice, ratings were good because of female viewership but the toyline failed and the CN wasn't making their money back with advertising on the show so it didn't help. I have no idea, this is what I remember reading online, obviously I don't know what really happened but I also doubt this was the only reason if not why did every other DC action show at that time fail?
Isn't it a lot more risky trying to depend on toy sales nowadays when it seems kids' addiction to cellphones appears to be this big force that can kill a franchise's toyline in a matter of months?

Maybe it might be better to rely on viewership instead of toys, because you can view the show almost on anything. They could probably get even more money with games too, since there is a big enough playerbase (not just with kids) if the game is good.
Old 04-22-2018, 10:50 AM   #4048
CyberCubed
Overlord

The problem is with online streaming, ratings and viewership don't really matter much nowadays either. Kids don't watch shows on TV as much as they used to, there's a reason so many shows are streamed online instead these days.
Old 04-22-2018, 11:39 AM   #4049
sdp
-

Toys have lost more and more ground to electronics over the years, but it also isn't anything new, this began at least since the 90s. Even if most kids now have tablets or phones toy sales haven't been that different in the past few years and there's still a lot of money in that business.

The problem is not "relying" on toys but that shows are expensive and it's the toy sales that help subsidize the cost of making it. The show would need to have some big sponsors to make it viable and without toy companies they can't always do it. Viewership is not high enough to make it viable for most shows, hence cancellation.

If we had hard numbers to work with we could have an idea of what options there really are but without it I can just speculate with the above info.

It's important to remember that to a business it's an investment. Breaking even or making a small profit is not enough if they put a lot of money in it with high risk of not getting the return. It's not a charity. This is what most Armchair CEO's online who've never taken a university business class yet feel they know better than the multinational corporations forget about.
Old 04-22-2018, 01:12 PM   #4050
shredder orokusaki
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalwolf View Post
Isn't it a lot more risky trying to depend on toy sales nowadays when it seems kids' addiction to cellphones appears to be this big force that can kill a franchise's toyline in a matter of months?

Maybe it might be better to rely on viewership instead of toys, because you can view the show almost on anything. They could probably get even more money with games too, since there is a big enough playerbase (not just with kids) if the game is good.
It is not kids addiction to cellphone it is kids addiction ot faceboon and twitter. The sooner those two get destroyed the sooner kids will be saved. Facebook downfall just started with the Cambridge analytica scandal.
Old 04-23-2018, 07:10 AM   #4051
newfan
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by shredder orokusaki View Post
It is not kids addiction to cellphone it is kids addiction ot faceboon and twitter. The sooner those two get destroyed the sooner kids will be saved. Facebook downfall just started with the Cambridge analytica scandal.
Apparently 'delete' facebook has just rated a popular search over here, more London here for some reason. Younger children aren't really on these though. I'd imagine YouTube and Video games? (though as pointed out, video games aren't new)
I remember there being a good variety of toys about when I was younger but is there more to choose from now? This could cause the opposite of not being interested in them but maybe kids have so many that buying just slows down.
Obviously they can see the trend of current toy sales so would base their expectations on that, if kids like the show.

Last edited by newfan; 04-23-2018 at 07:48 AM.
Old 04-23-2018, 01:56 PM   #4052
shredder orokusaki
Mad Scientist

Video games is the most popular entertainment right now but that for all people not just kids. And youtube yes. Yes delete facebook is getting more and more popular each day on evry country of the world.
Old 04-23-2018, 05:46 PM   #4053
CyberCubed
Overlord

Young teens of today are on twitter and tumblr, facebook is for old people.
Old 04-24-2018, 03:27 PM   #4054
Papenbrook
*The King of Nothing*

Here's a new video.

Old 04-24-2018, 03:40 PM   #4055
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

These people annoy me...

And disappointed that it wasn't a character video.

But at least a +1 point for Leo's actor passing on the pineapple.

I will never understand why pineapple, a tomato based sauce, and cheese are a good flavor combination to many. Ick.
Old 04-24-2018, 03:58 PM   #4056
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

I'm kind of tickled by how 'in character' they were in their responses.
And pineapple on pizza is delicious.
Pineapple and green pepper on pizza is the best.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
Old 04-24-2018, 04:38 PM   #4057
CyberCubed
Overlord

Were they speaking with their real voices or their character voices in the show? Because if it's the latter, Michelangelo is going to sound like a typical black guy in this show.
Old 04-24-2018, 08:21 PM   #4058
BabyTurtles
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Were they speaking with their real voices or their character voices in the show? Because if it's the latter, Michelangelo is going to sound like a typical black guy in this show.
I'm sorry what's a typical black guy voice? Also are there typical white guy voices? and typical Asian guy voices? and what do those sound like?

Personally to me he sounds like a typical young guy with some high energy.
Old 04-24-2018, 09:25 PM   #4059
CyberCubed
Overlord

If you watch the video, it's just exactly the way Michelangelo's VA says his lines. That's why I didn't mention Raph's VA, because while he sounds like a "tough guy" voice, that's all it is. But that may not be their "TMNT voices" and just speaking with their real life voices, only reason I am confused is because the guy who places Leo (or is it Don on the left?) sounds like he's using his TMNT voice and not his real voice.
Old 04-25-2018, 05:34 AM   #4060
Papenbrook
*The King of Nothing*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Wow, dude.

WOW ...
Closed Thread

Tags
2018, rise of the tmnt, speculation, we're crimefighters