The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Old 07-02-2017, 07:29 AM   #1
Panda_Kahn_fan
Mad Scientist

this would be the time...

It's ironic, Micheal Bay's TMNT sank like a stone last year, and now the big Paramount cash-cow just burst into flames. You know, somebody should tell paramount, that a low-budget martial arts flick, with old-school puppetry from the Jim Henson company (soon to be made relevant again thanks to the upcoming dark crystal series), based on a property they already own, might click with audiences, start returning audience's good graces, and even make them a decent-sized profit....

...but they're probably too busy making brain rot with explosions and no plot to even listen what the audience who actually pays for there movies wants, so what do any of us know? I mean, come on! A ninja turtles movie made like the one that is the most liked out of all of them? How insane in that?

Seriously though, does anyone else have hope that this recent will act as a wake up call to paramount, and we might at least see them TRY some kind of faithful, low-budget TMNT project now?

Last edited by Panda_Kahn_fan; 07-02-2017 at 07:42 AM.
Panda_Kahn_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 08:08 AM   #2
FearlessLeader
Mad Scientist

I always hope for the Turtles to be represented on all fronts in well written media that actually treats the characters with respect. Especially with the popularity of superhero films now as a somewhat more serious genre it seems very stupid to me someone at Paramount has not had any thoughts about this.

Then I remember it's Hollywood and they have slowly become incapable of creative thinking (how many remakes are currently being produced for film and television versus original content? )

I wish Paramount or Nick would contract with Netflix or Hulu or something along those lines to make a more Defenders level live action series which I actually feel would probably be amazing for the franchise as whole.

Oh well

Artwork by Jim Lawson
FearlessLeader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 01:55 PM   #3
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda_Kahn_fan View Post
It's ironic, Micheal Bay's TMNT sank like a stone last year, and now the big Paramount cash-cow just burst into flames. You know, somebody should tell paramount, that a low-budget martial arts flick, with old-school puppetry from the Jim Henson company (soon to be made relevant again thanks to the upcoming dark crystal series), based on a property they already own, might click with audiences, start returning audience's good graces, and even make them a decent-sized profit....
Paramount don't care. No film studio today cares about practical effects, good colour saturation or old-school puppetry. Kids today are brought up flashy CGI superhero movies with desaturated Alexa camera image quality. Most kids today probably find the animatronic TMNT costumes hilarious as well as primitive.

The whole industry would have to change to do what you ask. I'd personally love it but we are in a minority sadly.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 04:32 PM   #4
sgtfbomb
Stone Warrior

It's not what they use to make a TMNT movie. It's how they do it in terms of things that are actually important, such as acting, directing, tone, editing, structure, etc.
sgtfbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 05:18 PM   #5
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtfbomb View Post
It's not what they use to make a TMNT movie. It's how they do it in terms of things that are actually important, such as acting, directing, tone, editing, structure, etc.
It also needs good writing, and writing from somebody that knows the TMNT really well.
Old 07-08-2017, 07:03 PM   #6
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

While I love the old school stuff, I don't mind the mocap at all. And actually, the Bay films despite themselves, I kinda love that the mocap can pick up and translate really subtle stuff.

Case in point - saw the clip again the other day where Mikey is introducing the brothers to Casey, and not only can you visually read that Leo's patience for it is clearly very thin, but also the subtle change on his eyes and face when the "silent but deadly" joke at his expense suddenly clicks in his head. So funny.

But when the writing fails, it can fail in whatever format they choose to use... And honestly? Take the PD scripts and use them with the old school Turtle suits and it would probably have fallen even flatter since those more subtle elements don't translate well. Even if we ever get old school stuff again, god only knows if everything supporting it would even work out like it should.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote