The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Current Events

Notices

Old 09-13-2019, 07:11 AM   #1
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

The Last Day of The Dinosaurs New Breakdown and Details Uncovered

The dinosaur extinction has been covered over the last two hundred years, but new information has given us a better idea of how it all happened. Like most theorized it was a giant meteor that hit modern day Mexico that caused rippled effects. It seems that while the meteor killed off the immediate area with the force of several atomic bombs, it was sulfur that had taken to the atmosphere and cooled the planet off significantly and blotted out the sun from the must more hotter average temperature and humidity that the reptilian dinosaurs thrived in. The sulfur effects could have lasted for up to a quarter century and the temperature drop longer. So a sudden temperature change caused a gradual extinction over a few decades?
https://www.nationalgeographic.com/s...unning-detail/
Old 09-13-2019, 09:44 AM   #2
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
So a sudden temperature change caused a gradual extinction over a few decades?
https://www.nationalgeographic.com/s...unning-detail/
That lines up with what I learned from the "Land Before Time" series.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 10:08 AM   #3
frank_one
Mad Scientist

While we are talking about dinosaurs, I'm reading The lost world by Michael Crichton. It is quite good, very different from the movie.
frank_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 01:07 PM   #4
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
This gas could have formed a haze of sulfuric acid that blotted out sunlight and triggered years of global cooling.
Well, if there's any truth in that theory, then it could be that a haze lessened the amount of sunlight, rather than blocking it all, and paired with a decrease in light and the effects of increased sulfur in the air... I suppose, if you factor in the amount of adaptability (or lack of) of various creatures and plants world over, a gradual extinction of some and then those who depend on them for food could make sense.

Interesting article either way and cool to hear of what they're finding in core samples of that crater. Was intrigued years ago when I read about this big one that's right there under water here in the Americas.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 03:48 AM   #5
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
That lines up with what I learned from the "Land Before Time" series.
Dinosaurs (combined with environmentalism) were extrmeley popular right before the TMNT craze. You also had Denver, the Last Dinosaur, Dino-Riders and Dinosaurces.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 06:09 AM   #6
DarkFell
A Crusty Bob Fan

^ And, there was Jurassic Park, We're Back: A Dinosaur Story, ect. during the TMNT craze..

But anyhoo... I doubt that one big space rock caused mass genocide of every species of dinosaur on Earth.

Diseases, changes in climate, starvation, severe weather / flooding, earthquakes.. those are plenty of adversities that could have gradually drove the dinosaurs towards extinction.

Meteorite deaths are less common compared to what was previously mentioned above.
DarkFell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 06:58 AM   #7
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkFell View Post
^ And, there was Jurassic Park, We're Back: A Dinosaur Story, ect. during the TMNT craze..

But anyhoo... I doubt that one big space rock caused mass genocide of every species of dinosaur on Earth.

Diseases, changes in climate, starvation, severe weather / flooding, earthquakes.. those are plenty of adversities that could have gradually drove the dinosaurs towards extinction.

Meteorite deaths are less common compared to what was previously mentioned above.
I believe the meteor that hit the Yucatan Peninsula was the start of a gradual extinction. It created the conditions that would cause climate change and starvation and trigger other natural events. Not an instant thing. Even if the dinosaurs were not killed off by this gradual event the last Ice Age would have got them anyway because of the need for a hotter climate for the reptilian-like species to thrive.