The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 11-16-2019, 07:58 PM   #21
CyberCubed
Overlord

Also surprised to learn Peter was already 31 when he created the Turtles. I mean damn when you think about that, PL already lived a large chunk of his adult life before he even became a millionaire. It's like one of those "later in life" type successes.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 09:04 PM   #22
TommyT
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Also surprised to learn Peter was already 31 when he created the Turtles. I mean damn when you think about that, PL already lived a large chunk of his adult life before he even became a millionaire. It's like one of those "later in life" type successes.
Most people don't hit their stride until 40. Don't be fooled.
TommyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 09:53 PM   #23
shawnoen
Mouser

Just watched the episode! Brought back so many memories of my teenage years going to Midway Book and Comic in St Paul, MN with my dad looking for new issues. Started collecting at issue #2 and never stopped. Sometimes it would be 3-4 weeks between issues, sometimes it would be many, many months.

Already knew the whole backstory but it was fun to see it all put together in a single episode.

Still have all my old Mirage issues too! Never did buy #1 1st print though. Just 2nd printing onward....should have purchased when it was "cheap" but there are just too many fakes out there. Even in the 90s there were many fakes with white paper pages. Almost bought one at a comic convention many years ago for $600 but that was steep at the time!

When I see CGC graded copies if #1, 1st printing selling on ebay for over $10,000 and it says "WHITE PAGES" I just cringe.

Last edited by shawnoen; 11-16-2019 at 09:58 PM.
shawnoen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 05:48 AM   #24
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Emperor

Peter Laird

Quote:
Born in January 1954, Peter Laird was 29 years old when creating the TMNT back in November 1983.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Laird
Because of continuity and timeline errors, I've given up writing fanfiction based on the 1987-1996 animated television series. Instead, I'm trying to reboot the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles story, something many other fanfiction writers already do:

Hopefully, stories will later appear at

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/968367/O...NT-Cartoon-Fan
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 01:40 PM   #25
CyberCubed
Overlord

It's so weird to think that a bunch of 30 year olds from the late 80's getting together at the right time along with all these toy execs is the only reason the TMNT franchise even exists in the first place. Like if one little thing was different or never happened, the entire TMNT franchise wouldn't exist.

I mean I know all franchises are based around executive meddling, but it's so weird that, "everything happened at the right time."
Old 11-17-2019, 03:15 PM   #26
Zulithe
Ninjutsu Master

I wish their format focused a little more on interesting facts and details and less on humor. Give us more of a deep dive on this stuff.

Not sure how Kevin Smith was in any way relevant to TMNT, he was already a man grown when it hit big, nor has he been any significant part of TMNT history over the years. No insight from his comments. The guy just wants to be in everything to line his pockets. And I'm still perplexed as hell at him working on Masters.

I'm glad they acknowledged what an enormous force TMNT was for the toy industry by spotlighting them in an episode. But most of this felt like retreat ground after the Turtle Power documentary hit a while back.
Zulithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 07:41 AM   #27
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Who were the two evil mutant molds that had nose gimmicks? They were no named. I did not know a character did not make the cut in the original line.

I found it funny how the toy designer hated April's look because it was not sexualized enough. What about how off The Shredder was from the character as depicted in Turtle Tracks?

Check out the best DC Comics site on the net:
http://new.dcuwiki.net/forums/index.php
Now featuring Ethan Van Sciver!

MikeandRaph87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 04:04 PM   #28
Panther10
Hench Mutant

I feel like this episode served as an abbreviated version of the Turtle Power documentary that came out a few years ago. In fact I think I prefer that one more.

I was able to buy this figure from Lunar Toys. They ended up getting a few more of the Special editions in stock so I grabbed one. So I'm no longer in the market for a First Gokin NT-01
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Crave Pizza No More View Post
Congrats! Did you get the special edition with the chrome parts, or just the standard version?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
Says right there he got the special edition, mane.
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Crave Pizza No More View Post
You're right! D'oh!
Panther10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 04:20 PM   #29
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Watched it last night and enjoyed it a lot. Had never watched an episode of this series before, so I really didn't know what to expect. That ending though...

I'd kind of assumed Laird had largely moved on from the TMNT, what with selling and Eastman being the one still actively involved (though I guess he is the one who moved on for a bit temporarily?), but it's nice to know he didn't really and that he kept rights to self publish anything should he ever decide to. Would be awesome if they both put out something together again, even if just a mini series to kind of bookend the careers they started together.

I have said before that they're basically the Turtles' real life dads and laughed when they did refer to themselves like that.

And I finally know why the '87 Shredder figure is positioned so oddly! Although the shirtlessness remains a mystery.

Only part I didn't like was trying to sell 'Rise' as being the "biggest one yet" or however they put it. I understand promoting it and marketers, etc hoping for a big payoff and wanting it to be big now, but from a historical standpoint of a long running franchise, for the one that throws the prior 35 years under the bus to be the "biggest yet"... Yeah, leaves a bad taste in the mouth. Either way, Turtlemania is probably impossible to repeat.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 04:53 PM   #30
wpugh2424
Mad Scientist

I think turtle mania could exist again (maybe not to the extent of the first go round ) with the right reboot.
I think focusing on the idw series with some heavy involvement with both Laird and Eastman would take off with the older fans and newcomers alike. It would have to be a good mix of targeting both demographics however.

This episode was really good imo
Old 11-19-2019, 07:24 AM   #31
***First of Two Latin Kings***
Will not be censored

I don't mind Andre but I do agree that Michele shouldn't be fan spokesperson simply due to being loud and over the top. We don't get a vote unfortunately.
I can hear it now: "I'm sorry little April, I told you that if you didn't take good care of them I'd be taking them away. Now they are going to the lab to be abused for experimentation" (You could almost rewrite this as April caused the fire to get back at her father over it...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCanadiandrome View Post
Powder I'd not defend him, that's just how he gets

International shipping assistance: DARTHCJJ@GMAIL.COM
***First of Two Latin Kings*** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 07:30 AM   #32
Raptor86
Stone Warrior

Location: Palermo, Italy (Currently in Amsterdam, the Netherlands)
Fun fact: they gave a man voice to Michele in the Italian dubbings.
Raptor86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 09:58 PM   #33
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Just watched it. I had no idea this was a thing on Netflix, yet there it was today. Pretty good encapsulation of the ups and downs of the TMNT even beyond the toys, though they really breezed by the 2009-2019 decade.

Definitely sad at the end. I've always kind of figured Kevin was the one to drift away from Kevin, but I've never heard him be as honest about it as here. He was young, single, and suddenly rich... hanging around an older dude who you talk Jack Kirby with would become a bit less appealing. And clearly the female Turtle thing, Kevin breaking that understanding is presented here as the not-so-little straw that irreparably damaged their bond.

Quote:
And Kevin was like 23? wtf?

Quote:
Originally Posted by funatic View Post
Oof that ending. I'm not crying, you're crying! Had no idea they filmed a reunion at Mirage Studios, which is literally 10 min from my house. I was probably scratching my ass down the street. That ending left a lot of hope for a comics reunion (though I'm still not counting on it). Peter seems to be transitioning into his little old man phase which is bittersweet, but so is life at best.
Their last reunion at the end of the Turtle Power doc at their old Northampton house didn't lead to anything, so I'm not too much thinking it's very likely. Plus with as much as the Venus thing is presented as a "no going back" thing here between them, I wonder how Peter feels about Kevin rolling out Jennika? I'm kind of assuming he doesn't care, but I don't think it would be anything positive either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyT View Post
Andre has a really good agent, maybe the same PR person as Kevin Smith. That guy is everywhere, and gives his two cents on everything, even when nobody’s asking.
For some reason, they brought in that He-man collector, James Eatock as well.
WTF?

Tokka, if anything, or almost anyone here. Black nerd is the shilling ist shill there is.
Yeah, Black Nerd has been trotted out to talk up everything, even telling us how great "Out of the Shadows" is.

I would've liked to hear other Mirage voices in there. Berger, Farley, Lawson. Not to be dour, but it'd have been an interesting counterpoint to hear from those who didn't quite get to take the ride all the way, but were knee deep in it for years and years nonetheless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roseangelo View Post
The only thing that made me go "Ehh..." was at the end when they were trying to pump Rise as being the next Big Thing. I think most of this was filmed last year, and now Rise is barely still in stores. Oops.
Definitely a head-scratcher. Even if it was filmed a year ago, it's really hard to believe the head of Playmates ever whooping about, "I think it's going to be the biggest show yet!"

I refuse to believe anyone involved at such a level could ever have thought that. That Rise was ever intended as anything other than a palate cleanse between "real" cartoons is hysterical.

Quote:
Some other interesting things is I didn't know Kevin didn't get any of the $60 million buy-out from Nick. I remember hearing he got some money from it? I guess not.
Why would you think that? News of Kevin selling his half of the rights to Peter in 2000 was pretty hard to miss. He wouldn't receive any money from Nick because he no longer had anything to sell.

I mean, maybe Peter was like, "Hey Kevin, here's 5 million from the deal for old time's sake" after selling to Viacom in 2009 but I really doubt it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulithe View Post
I wish their format focused a little more on interesting facts and details and less on humor. Give us more of a deep dive on this stuff.

Not sure how Kevin Smith was in any way relevant to TMNT
In terms with "general geek culture spokesman" I'm OK with him in this. He's earned that, even if he hasn't made a movie I've enjoyed since Clerks II. And he did do a voice in TMNT (2007), after all.

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 11-19-2019 at 10:14 PM.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 11:45 AM   #34
IMJ
Stone Warrior

I thought it was worth watching. But I haven't seen other TMNT documentaries, and although I knew that Eastman and Laird had some kind of falling out, I never knew the details. It was nice seeing that they had a legit connection as friends though.

It was very clear seeing them get together. I know how that can be - have a few buddies in the best years of your life, then fall out although no one really wants to. When you get back together here or there years later its exactly how it was in the past yet it cant be the same ever again. Crazy.

As far as the toys go they touched on the sales and the sculpts probably as much as possible in the time they were given. But I would've liked to see a little bit more on the FW show and something regarding the Archie license. Let's face it - it's those two incarnations that truly converted the franchise into a mega-IP.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 03:54 PM   #35
inaheap
Stone Warrior

Quote:
One last thought, did PL's voice sound really frail and old to anyone else? I mean I know he IS old now, but last time I heard him speak he didn't sound like that. He sounded really, "weak" if I could describe it, like frail sounding, I hope he's healthy.
I thought so too.

We do not stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing

When I became an adult I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.
inaheap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 04:29 PM   #36
CyberCubed
Overlord

I hope PL is healthy.
Old 11-20-2019, 05:36 PM   #37
wpugh2424
Mad Scientist

I agree he seemed weak and if you watch closely as he gets up from the chair you can tell he uses some amount of upper body strength to lift himself.
Old 11-20-2019, 08:10 PM   #38
Vegeta
Hench Mutant

It is a bit fascinating that a cartoon constructed simply to sell toys in the 1980s and a film made in that toy mongering era still remains so much better than what nick has currently with its cartoon and recent two films. So many people were defending rise when it came out "iTS NoT FoR YoU" and yet they can't even keep these toys on the shelves because kids don't like that trash either. The tmnt franchise is in a rough spot now but it was interesting to hear about the turtles and their lightning in a bottle rise via so many talented game changers like the he-man guy and chuck lorre.

I just love kevin Eastman's personality. Always comes off as grateful, humble and approachable. Amazing artist, laird too but he's certainly not as lovable.
Old 11-20-2019, 09:02 PM   #39
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegeta View Post
So many people were defending rise when it came out "iTS NoT FoR YoU" and yet they can't even keep these toys on the shelves because kids don't like that trash either.
Right? I'm not trying to "bash" and I've been clear that it's not what I want, but the numbers really don't support the "It's for the kids!" argument. Maybe that was the theory behind its creation, but the data suggests that most of the people watching the show and buying the toys are simply the same fans who support anything with a TMNT sticker on it, in the hope the brand doesn't get shelved entirely. And most of those people are around my age.

It's like the defense of the new "Charlie's Angels": "It wasn't for men!" Except women didn't go see it, either. Rise may ostensibly be "For the kids, NOT us!", but... if so, then nobody told the kids they were supposed to care, because those toys collect dust.

((Shrug))

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 09:18 PM   #40
Vegeta
Hench Mutant

I'm not a mcu/Disney guy but striking that balance for adults/kids with action/humor that they've made billions on really would be nice for the tmnt. I haven't really seen it done correctly outside of the first turtle film and the comic books. The 2012 cartoon and now this, its just bleh.