The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Video Game Discussion

Notices

Old 02-11-2017, 06:11 AM   #1
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Will the ever get TMNT videogames at the same level at the originals?

While there are different opinion which series or comic is the best, most people think the original videogames, released between 1989–1994, as the greatest. Is there any chance we'll get TMNT videogames that popular in the future?

Last edited by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan; 02-11-2017 at 07:28 AM.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 06:47 AM   #2
slingtheory
Stone Warrior

it's possible. Alot of the recent games have had potential just kind of lacked polish which I've come to blame on activision. Looking back on all the games that come out on their watch it's my opinion they never really gave the developers the time or resources to really make something great which is a shame because it seems like the hype was there for alot of these projects. Maybe next time around we'll get a publisher whow really wants to go all in on quality.
Old 02-11-2017, 07:02 AM   #3
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by slingtheory View Post
it's possible. Alot of the recent games have had potential just kind of lacked polish which I've come to blame on activision. Looking back on all the games that come out on their watch it's my opinion they never really gave the developers the time or resources to really make something great which is a shame because it seems like the hype was there for alot of these projects. Maybe next time around we'll get a publisher whow really wants to go all in on quality.
Its usually a hit or mess when trying to make a new game feel like an old one, Most recently Double Dragon 4 came out and its all done in the style of the old games, and its gotten a lot of bad reviews.
Old 02-11-2017, 07:32 AM   #4
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

They musn't feel like the original to be good.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 02:18 PM   #5
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
Its usually a hit or mess when trying to make a new game feel like an old one, Most recently Double Dragon 4 came out and its all done in the style of the old games, and its gotten a lot of bad reviews.
Yeah but they went with the NES route... i know a lot of people loved the 8bit wannabe version but this should have been a part 4 of thr actual arcade games.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 02:39 PM   #6
CyberCubed
Overlord

Or maybe stop having expectations out of low budget garbage downloadable games.

When there are big budget remakes of older games, like REmake on Gamecube compared to Resident Evil 1, they're amazing.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 05:27 PM   #7
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
Yeah but they went with the NES route... i know a lot of people loved the 8bit wannabe version but this should have been a part 4 of thr actual arcade games.
There been games that went the NES route and they were successful, Mega Man 9 was done in 8 bit and that game did well.
Old 02-12-2017, 07:37 PM   #8
DestronMirage22
Yukipedia

Not on the same level as the first NES game. That game was epic, although difficult. But it was a trip getting through it.
DestronMirage22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 07:48 PM   #9
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
There been games that went the NES route and they were successful, Mega Man 9 was done in 8 bit and that game did well.
Megaman mostly had 8bit games. He had one 16bit game and one 32bit game but it was mostly an 8bit series so it made more sense to make psuedo 8bit sequels.

Double Dragon was an arcade game first. Its weird for them to ignore the originals and make a sequel based on the 8bit games.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 07:55 AM   #10
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Or maybe stop having expectations out of low budget garbage downloadable games.
The point was that it's supposed to be seen as a proper sequel.

Quote:
Megaman mostly had 8bit games. He had one 16bit game and one 32bit game
Not even close:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mega_Man

Quote:
Double Dragon was an arcade game first. Its weird for them to ignore the originals and make a sequel based on the 8bit games.
Double Dragon is most well remembered on Nes due to the Nes Master Race so they focused on making a sequel to those versions.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 01:04 PM   #11
retr0pia75
Foot Soldier

I think Mutants in Manhatten would've gotten a better reception if it was released during the sixth-generation. Of course, the IDW series wasn't a thing at the time and wouldn't be for several more years.
retr0pia75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 08:12 PM   #12
sdp
-

The main problem for TMNT is what made the original games classics is that Beat-em=ups were a new thing and loved by everyone but when developers make beat em ups now they're considered "boring" and "repetitive" or "too short" so they get bad reviews.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 08:08 AM   #13
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
The main problem for TMNT is what made the original games classics is that Beat-em=ups were a new thing and loved by everyone but when developers make beat em ups now they're considered "boring" and "repetitive" or "too short" so they get bad reviews.
No kidding. GamesMaster gave the 2003 Turtles game 42%. Just so you understand that would imply the game is broken and unplayable, terrible, unfinished or completely boring which if you've played the game couldn't be further from the truth.

The media tends to latch onto trends although people seem to like side scrolling beat'em ups again now.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 09:57 AM   #14
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

We did get our Arkham clone game (sort of) with OotS, so I'm waiting for a TMNT Dark Souls rip
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 10:20 AM   #15
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
While there are different opinion which series or comic is the best, most people think the original videogames, released between 1989–1994, as the greatest. Is there any chance we'll get TMNT videogames that popular in the future?
What do you mean? One halfway creative game, then a never-ending slew of cheap Final Fight clones? They would do well to veer far, far away from that level of "quality."
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 03:41 PM   #16
Konchadunga
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
The problem with that statement is plenty reviewers also said the only good thing about the 2003 game was you could unlock the original arcade game, and then the 2-D GBA game based on the 2007 film got a better score than the 3-D games based on that film. You can't solely blame a genre not aging well for why people don't like a it anymore, when they still like old and old-fashioned games in that genre whenever they play them again.

My guess would be that keeping things in 2D helps constrain characters towards one another, so it feels like there's a constant pressure to fight in order to defend yourself; compared to games where you have a more open field except for invisible and/or arbitrary walls that only break when you've defeated all the enemies around currently, so the experience moves on to "fight just because we said so". Take this guess with a grain of salt, though, as I have never played any of the 3D TMNT games for long periods of time. However, I don't consider the original arcade TMNT a masterpiece or a good role-model in the slightest; not even a candidate for the best 2D beat-em-up. The Manhattan Project and Turtles in Time are much better.
Old 04-25-2017, 10:46 AM   #17
Peter Palmer
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
What do you mean? One halfway creative game, then a never-ending slew of cheap Final Fight clones? They would do well to veer far, far away from that level of "quality."
I don't know if that's really fair. When the TMNT Arcade game was released, it was a MASSIVE hit by arcade standards. At the time, the beat-em-up genre was still pretty new and TMNT was pretty well done by comparison. Then Turtles in Time was released and many feel that it improved upon the first arcade game. Both were critical successes and are often in the conversation for the best games of the genre. I'm not sure calling them "cheap clones" is really fair.

Today's gamers may think beat-em-up games are somewhat boring, but the genre can still be well-done, be true to the genre, and still feel fresh. Take a look at Castle Crashers, for example. It was released nearly 20 years after the first TMNT arcade game and received great reviews despite being nothing more than a beat-em-up at heart.

Perhaps you don't like the games or maybe even the genre (which is fine), but they were certainly successful and high-quality upon their releases by any realistic metric. I think if that success and quality could be replicated today, the fans would be in for a real treat.
Old 04-25-2017, 11:38 AM   #18
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Palmer View Post
I don't know if that's really fair. When the TMNT Arcade game was released, it was a MASSIVE hit by arcade standards. At the time, the beat-em-up genre was still pretty new and TMNT was pretty well done by comparison. Then Turtles in Time was released and many feel that it improved upon the first arcade game. Both were critical successes and are often in the conversation for the best games of the genre. I'm not sure calling them "cheap clones" is really fair.
Turtles in Time was basically TMNT: The Arcade Game 1.5. It didn't really add anything to the play mechanics or... much of anything, really, as we normally think of happens in sequels (beyond oddities like... the Mega Man games). The arcade game could have just gone on for another 6 levels or whatever into the Turtles in Time maps and no one would even know the difference.

Quote:
Perhaps you don't like the games or maybe even the genre (which is fine), but they were certainly successful and high-quality upon their releases by any realistic metric.
The arcade game and Turtles in Time were neat when I was like 6. Even then, though, I didn't think I was playing some new and innovative experience in Manhattan Project or Hyperstone Heist afterward... just new coats of paint on the same damn thing, over and over again.

Quote:
I think if that success and quality could be replicated today, the fans would be in for a real treat.
Nah. In a post-Grand Theft Auto, post-Arkham Asylum world, normal gamers expect way more than side-scrolling button mashing Final Fight clones these days. People aside from 30, 40 year-old hipsters, that is. Who want to sit in their retro 80s sofa, playing an actual NES console, adjusting their man bun while sipping their organic chai latte and feeling sophisticated.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 01:05 PM   #19
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Modeen's Law:
Quote:
The law of averages that states that sooner or later in a reason-minded discussion about the merits of TMNT: Turtles in Time, Andrew will interject that the entire game was a derivative product of its time that no self-respecting gamer would pay money to spend more than two hours on today.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 01:20 AM   #20
Turo602
The King of Kings

What made early TMNT games popular was the fact that TMNT was popular. The Arcade Game was a great beat 'em up for its time, but then we got stuff like Streets of Rage 2 down the line and like Andrew said, TMNT was doing the same exact sh*t with a new coat of paint, meanwhile better beat 'em ups were surfacing. It was the Call of Duty of beat 'em ups and because it helped fuel children's obsession with TMNT at the time, they're considered so much better than they really were. They're still a decent time with friends but in terms of quality, there always was and still is better beat 'em ups out there.

Why later games weren't as successful, is because the genre itself had trouble transitioning into 3D. Honestly, I don't think I can even think of any successful 3D beat 'em ups. The genre seems outdated and probably best works in 2D. We've since gotten much better action games with the modern day equivalent probably being hack n slash games.

The games based on the 2003 series pretty much stuck to the same formula as the arcade games, but now that it's in 3D, the empty space and repetitive combat is a lot more noticeable and a whole lot less forgivable. Then we saw a shift with the 2007 game which went the action platforming route which made the game a whole lot more playable but lacked the co-op aspect expected from a TMNT game. Now we have Mutants in Manhattan which has once again returned to the beat 'em up formula but because it was made by a competent developer, they found a way to make it work. However, just like every single game in the franchise's history, popular or not, it suffers from being tied to a series or film.

Like I mentioned before, TMNT games were only popular because TMNT got big at the right time. Today, games like Turtles in Time aren't going to fly when you have games like Batman: Arkham City. The only way for Ninja Turtles to be a popular video game franchise today, is if it's created to be a video game first and foremost and not a companion piece to something else Turtles related.

Last edited by Turo602; 04-26-2017 at 10:06 AM.
Turo602 is offline   Reply With Quote