The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

View Poll Results: Have you read the Archie series?
Yes, I've read most/all of it and still own the series 40 67.80%
I read it as a kid, but don't remember most of it 6 10.17%
I only read a handful of issues here and there 5 8.47%
I've never read any of it 8 13.56%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-12-2011, 10:53 PM   #1
CyberCubed
Overlord

Have you read the Archie TMNT Adventure series?

Just curious. As popular as this series is with fans, its very old now and some people here have probably never read it.

I sometimes wish they made a cartoon adaption of TMNT Adventures, it was really good. We got some of the best villains in TMNT history out of this series, such as Null, Armaggon, Malinga, Verminator-X and a few others. As well as some of the best storylines.

I recently re-visited the series to see if the stories still hold up, and aside from the eco-preaching and some one-off bad issues, this series is actually still a fun read.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 10:55 PM   #2
Powder
So tired of this place

I missed a few issues (I think like, mid fifties up until FST, and the seventies) but I have read most of it. Love it.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 11:31 PM   #3
gobo
Wacky Action

I'm starting to wonder if there are some issues that I just never read. I honestly can't remember anything about the end of the run.

gobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 11:34 PM   #4
DrSpengler
Foot Elite

Own it all but I still haven't read the Specials. Working my way toward them, though.
DrSpengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 11:34 PM   #5
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobo View Post
I'm starting to wonder if there are some issues that I just never read. I honestly can't remember anything about the end of the run.
The last couple of arcs were the Cyber Turtles in the future dealing with Verminator X, the Mooneyes saga where Ninjara and Raphael break-up, a couple of Turtle toddler stories, and then Year of the Turtle where Shredder tries to become immortal and Splinter and Mike de-mutate.
Old 12-12-2011, 11:43 PM   #6
Matches Malone
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
The last couple of arcs were the Cyber Turtles in the future dealing with Verminator X, the Mooneyes saga where Ninjara and Raphael break-up, a couple of Turtle toddler stories, and then Year of the Turtle where Shredder tries to become immortal and Splinter and Mike de-mutate.
I found it slightly ironic that Dean Clarrain was kicked off the Archie series for injecting a mature tone when what immediately followed with Year of the Turtle certainly felt like a more mature tone. Surprisingly I actually did enjoy Year of the Turtle, despite the very 90's superheroey feel to it.
Matches Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 11:47 PM   #7
LeoNerdo
Stone Warrior

I own almost all of it and have read it all except for a few of the side mini-series'. When it was good, it was very good. It really hit it's stride, and that lasted for a good number of issues.
LeoNerdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 11:49 PM   #8
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matches Malone View Post
I found it slightly ironic that Dean Clarrain was kicked off the Archie series for injecting a mature tone when what immediately followed with Year of the Turtle certainly felt like a more mature tone. Surprisingly I actually did enjoy Year of the Turtle, despite the very 90's superheroey feel to it.
Speaking of that, has Murphy officially given up on the "Forever War?"

I remember hearing something was supposed to be done with it after the Nick buy-out...even if it was only fan-made.
Old 12-13-2011, 07:23 AM   #9
marcelangelo
Mad Scientist

I have never read any of this...after finding out about it I was a little afraid the stories may be better suited for a younger audience...but from what I have read all over this forum here it might be worth checking them out(maybe even very much so)...anyone knows if the future tense book can be read without any knowledge fo the rest of the series?....I understand it collects later issues....
a thing comes to my mind now, I have read teenage mutant hero turtles comics of course when the ot was around and still have three issues of that one at home...any chance that these were part of the archie series in original form?....
marcelangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 08:01 AM   #10
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Read a decent chuck of it from the Norwegian print, which I think had some of the UK hero stories as well.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 08:09 AM   #11
CrazySquirrel
Foot Soldier

It is an awesome read. Great characters other than the Turtles!
CrazySquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 08:53 AM   #12
Master Splinter
幸 - 愛 - 思う

I haven't read all of the specials and some of the other mini-series from Archie... I am waiting on the last 10 comics to come in to finish off my reading of the main series...

-ms
Old 12-13-2011, 09:45 AM   #13
Donnie
Something from the Past

Yes, have most of it and have read most of it. Missing a few issues. My favorite arc was by far the Future stories with Donnie and Raph, although my favorite issues were #49 and #52. Michelangelo: Blind Sight was pretty cool, too.
Donnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 10:23 AM   #14
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcelangelo View Post
I have never read any of this...after finding out about it I was a little afraid the stories may be better suited for a younger audience...but from what I have read all over this forum here it might be worth checking them out(maybe even very much so)...anyone knows if the future tense book can be read without any knowledge fo the rest of the series?....I understand it collects later issues....
a thing comes to my mind now, I have read teenage mutant hero turtles comics of course when the ot was around and still have three issues of that one at home...any chance that these were part of the archie series in original form?....
Its not really aimed at younger audiences. While it isn't "adult" its pretty much aimed at something everyone can enjoy.

There's also lots of action, and even some violence and deaths.
Old 12-13-2011, 10:52 AM   #15
DrSpengler
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcelangelo View Post
The best way to describe TMNTA is that it aged with the audience. It started out as cartoon episode adaptations and when it began new material it was good stuff but nothing shocking or controversial and there are a few early arcs that I cannot stand.

But the series gets very cerebral and even dark toward the end and it has the most solid ongoing narrative of any TMNT comic; it flows very well.

It isn't blood and nudity and cursing; not that kind of "mature". But the stories are very smartly written, the characterization is strong and the arcs are suitably epic. It's a very well-rounded series suitable for all ages, but that doesn't mean it is insipidly kiddy, either.

I dunno if I can recommend the "Future Tense" trade. It was a very poorly put together book, collecting random issues around a "theme", but the arcs lose their strength without any of the build up or context from the preceding issues. Its also in black and white, but more importantly, it's missing a page of content. Again, a very poorly put together trade. The missing page was posted on TMNT.com for a while, but when Viacom took the site over they removed it. So yeah.

It's vertainly better than nothing, and it collects some of the later issues that can be hard/expensive to track down. So if there's no other alternative, then go for it. But I honestly think TMNTA is a series best read from beginning to end to get the full impact.

Quote:
The Technodrome's own Demon Alucard made This very hand guide to the Fleetway series, detailing which issues contained reprints and which contained original material.

So if you can recall the covers, that should tell you what you got.
DrSpengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 10:56 AM   #16
Hermano Dyvas
Hench Mutant

I've read all of it and it only got better as it went on. A great series.
Now release the forever war!
Hermano Dyvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 11:04 AM   #17
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSpengler View Post
But the stories are very smartly written, the characterization is strong and the arcs are suitably epic. It's a very well-rounded series suitable for all ages, but that doesn't mean it is insipidly kiddy, either.
And don't forget, the sense of continuity is amazing. Nothing is forgotten, old characters and arcs are constantly brought back and expanded on. It really was an amazing universe and Muprhy kept digging back to old things thought to be forgotten.

Funnily enough, the only character who never made a return or got any follow-up is Vid Vicious, who just flies off after Shredder releases him from the computer when he captures Donatello and is never seen again.

My guess is Muprhy realized what a terrible character Vid Vicious was and decided to just forget about him. LOL.
Old 12-13-2011, 11:10 AM   #18
Hermano Dyvas
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Funnily enough, the only character who never made a return or got any follow-up is Vid Vicious, who just flies off after Shredder releases him from the computer when he captures Donatello and is never seen again.

My guess is Muprhy realized what a terrible character Vid Vicious was and decided to just forget about him. LOL.
And don't forget about those three mutants that took over Innsmouth, Massachussets in #26! They were still alive at the end of their issue though never heard from again.
Hermano Dyvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 11:40 AM   #19
wilddiverse
Stone Warrior

Quote:
I dunno if I can recommend the "Future Tense" trade. It was a very poorly put together book, collecting random issues around a "theme", but the arcs lose their strength without any of the build up or context from the preceding issues. Its also in black and white, but more importantly, it's missing a page of content. Again, a very poorly put together trade. The missing page was posted on TMNT.com for a while, but when Viacom took the site over they removed it. So yeah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermano Dyvas View Post
And don't forget about those three mutants that took over Innsmouth, Massachussets in #26! They were still alive at the end of their issue though never heard from again.
Never heard from again in an issue that was printed-- as seen in Coney Island Days (paid for/unpublished Archie story by Milton Knight): http://www.miltonknight.net/cid.html
wilddiverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 11:42 AM   #20
Master Splinter
幸 - 愛 - 思う

Quote:
The missing page was posted on TMNT.com for a while, but when Viacom took the site over they removed it. So yeah.
Do you (or anyone for that matter) have that page? I have the Future Tense trade and I don't remember ever saving that page.

-ms

Tags
archie comics