The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion > Platinum Dunes TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Old 10-30-2016, 08:08 PM   #21
Panda_Kahn_fan
Mad Scientist

Also, I can't see TMNT staying dormant for long. If superhero movies stay strong, I think we'll see a new take in just a few short years.

IDW is the best version of TMNT

If they make a TMNT reboot movie retelling the shredder battle/origin, I won't buy a ticket.
Panda_Kahn_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 09:11 PM   #22
Powder
So tired of this place

Definitely no later than 3-4 years. I imagine there's already talk of how to approach it being had behind closed doors.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 09:55 PM   #23
CyberCubed
Overlord

I'm surprised people expect another reboot so soon.

The gap between TMNT III and TMNT 2007 was 14 years. The gap between TMNT 2007 and TMNT 2014 was 7 years.

We could be waiting a long time.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 10:06 PM   #24
Bry
So Long, Stinktown!

Oh man! I just picked up my NECA Foot Clan set and I thought today could get no better for me TMNT-wise.

I mean, condolences to those who enjoyed this series, but I think it's pretty obvious they botched this from jump street. Though BayFormers keeps chugging along with idiotic garbage, I'm glad the audience rejected this one, and hopefully they find filmmakers/producers who understand how to make a good Turtles movie with the next attempt.

This says it all:

Quote:
When it came to what went wrong, Form offered, “We talk about it all the time, and we tried to figure it out, but we cannot put our finger on what happened. We really can’t. It’s just one of those things where we feel like we made a really great movie; we thought at the time that our release date was great, and we added all these new characters with Bebop and Rocksteady and Baxter Stockwell had a big role in the movie and Casey Jones and for some reason when it came to opening weekend … Even before the movie came out, we were feeling great. And you wake up two days before the movie opens and you go, ‘Wow, I don’t know if this movie is tracking as well as it should.'”
These guys never understood the property. Never ever. They never even tried. Nothing about their take felt really "right" -- at best it was just really shallow, cynical lip service to what they assumed the fans wanted, that didn't capture the characters, the tone, or the spirit of what those fans actually love. These producers are little more than brand monetizers -- they thought "put Bebop and Rocksteady in it" was a surefire recipe for success, and that was the beginning and the end of their thought process. They didn't care one bit. It was an empty cash-grab with no heart, and it deserved to fail. With luck, Form and Fuller will be kept far, far away from whatever comes next.
Old 10-30-2016, 10:17 PM   #25
Galactus
Foot Elite

While there is an argument to made that the 2014 movie soured people on the sequel it should not be the go-to explanation/excuse for why Out of the Shadows failed so spectacularly.

Out of the Shadows had a big marketing campaign that successfully conveyed a sense that they were taking a different approach from the previous movie, one that played up all the aspects it was largely believed fans wanted and people largely turned their noses up at it. The question we should be asking is why were so many more people willing to give a "wrong" version of TMNT a shot and not one that was looked like it was doing a lot "right"?

Personally I found no problem getting friends to go see the 2014 movie with me. They cared less about the controversies and changes to the canon, they were open to see it because it looked like in many ways they were giving the property the same kind of treatment a lot of modern comic book movies are given (the end result wasn't really like that but that's what it kinda looked like) whereas trying to find friends to go with me to see the sequel was met with apathy or variations of "I don't know...looks kinda dumb".

TMNT may be a well known property but it's not at a level where it can solely rely on fans. People that were not really fans and may have been put off by the first where not going to be swayed back by overcrowding it up with 80s series characters and concepts, they were not going to get bums on seats by making it seem so dumb they might be embarrassed to see it without accompanying a child.

Another big problem I have with blaming the 2014 movie for the sequels failure is that should there be a reboot down the line it may it breeds the idea that Out of the Shadows unfairly flopped because of it rather than it being a sub par movie itself (in many ways it was worse than it's predecessor) and the lesson someone studio executives will learn is to go for something like Out of the Shadows straight away. That should not happen.

Regardless of where you stand on the issue of whether the movies should be Mirage or Fred Wolf inspired we cannot load it with so many characters and concepts and expect people to come just because. It may be an overused example but look at the Marvel movies, they were working to a goal but took it one movie at a time. TMNT cannot afford to skip the origin or cut straight to "fan favourites". It needs to establish itself with good stories and characters before it even vaguely considers putting in off kilter concepts.

Last edited by Galactus; 10-30-2016 at 10:30 PM.
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 10:23 PM   #26
Bry
So Long, Stinktown!

I have to imagine/hope they'll go a very different direction for the next attempt. I'm not holding out hope for a Mirage movie, mind you... but Daredevil on Netflix is a massive current hit, and they've got a property that was literally built on parodying the Daredevil comics that are at the heart of that series. It's a better idea than anything else they've tried.
Old 10-30-2016, 10:27 PM   #27
Panda_Kahn_fan
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactus View Post
While there is an argument to made the 2014 movie soured people on the sequel it should not be the go-to explanation/excuse for why Out of the Shadows failed so spectacularly.

Out of the Shadows had a big marketing campaign that successfully conveyed a sense that they were taking a different approach from the previous movie, one that played up all the aspects it was largely believed fans wanted and people largely turned their noses up at it. The question we should be asking is why were so many more people willing to give a "wrong" version of TMNT a shot and not one that was looked like it was doing a lot "right"?

Personally I found no problem getting friends to go see the 2014 movie with me. They cared less It looked like in many ways they were giving the property the same kind of treatment a lot of modern comic book movies are given (the end result wasn't really like that but that's what it kinda looked like) whereas trying to find friends to go with me to see the sequel was met with apathy or variations of "I don't know...looks kinda dumb".

TMNT may be a well known property but it's not at a level where it can solely rely on fans. People that were not really fans and may have been put off by the first where not going to be swayed back by overcrowding it up with 80s series characters and concepts, they were not going to get bums on seats by making it seem so dumb they might be embarrassed to see it without accompanying a child.

Another big problem I have with blaming the 2014 movie for the sequels failure is that should there be a reboot down the line it may it breeds the idea that Out of the Shadows unfairly flopped because of it rather than it being a sub par movie itself (in many ways it was worse than it's predecessor) and the lesson someone studio executives will learn is to go for something like Out of the Shadows straight away. That should not happen.

Regardless of where you stand on the issue of whether the movies should be Mirage or Fred Wolf inspired we cannot load it with so many characters and concepts and expect people to come just because. It may be an overused example but look at the Marvel movies, they were working to a goal but took it one movie at a time. TMNT cannot afford to skip the origin or cut straight to "fan favourites". It needs to establish itself with good stories and characters before it even vaguely considers putting off kilter concepts.

You know what? If people want that origin film so badly, follow the lead of the 2k3 series. Adapt mirage issue 2+3 with Baxter and the mousers, intro April as Baxter's assistant, have Splinter tell her the origin in flashback like in 2k3 and the 1990 film (preferably with Yoshi reincarnation splinter instead of pet rat splinter) throw in a small part with the rat king (the destruction of his subjects by the mousers will draw him in) and tease Shredder at the end of the film. Then do a big, bloody 'return to new York' film as a sequel with april already in place, and introducing Casey the way he was meant to be. Then finish the trilogy off with 'city at war'.

That would at least give us a fresh spin on things, a little. :/

IDW is the best version of TMNT

If they make a TMNT reboot movie retelling the shredder battle/origin, I won't buy a ticket.

Last edited by Panda_Kahn_fan; 10-30-2016 at 10:32 PM.
Panda_Kahn_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 10:38 PM   #28
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Shame, I would've loved a batshit insane third movie full of OT mutants since this is the only live action interpretation that could've let it happen. While both movies are flaws from their changes to the mythos and some design choices overall they aren't that bad and have plenty of elements that I liked.

What this means though is no more movies for who knows how long, less incentive for Nick to keep the CG show going and all the dominos keep falling for things to be just like when 4K!ds show ended and stay like that for a decade or more. By the time Wave 4 of TMNT movies/show comes around I'll likely have a kid who is old enough to watch.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 12:41 AM   #29
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autbot_Benz View Post
“We loved the movie. We loved making the movie,” producer Andrew Form told Collider. “From our first Super Bowl teaser to everything we launched, we felt so good about our material, and for some reason it did not find the audience that the first movie found.”
Gee, some inexplicable reason, huh?

Quote:
When it came to what went wrong, Form offered, “We talk about it all the time, and we tried to figure it out, but we cannot put our finger on what happened. We really can’t. It’s just one of those things where we feel like we made a really great movie; we thought at the time that our release date was great, and we added all these new characters with Bebop and Rocksteady and Baxter Stockwell had a big role in the movie and Casey Jones and for some reason when it came to opening weekend … Even before the movie came out, we were feeling great. And you wake up two days before the movie opens and you go, ‘Wow, I don’t know if this movie is tracking as well as it should.'”
These guys are truly, truly lost. Hacks. Misguided hacks.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 01:05 AM   #30
ProactiveMan
Spooky ghost

Old 10-31-2016, 01:14 AM   #31
Xav
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellington View Post
Also, the Shredder was underused in both films. In the first film he was the stepfather some white businessman who wanted to use the mutagen to kill people and then make a cure to sell to people, becoming stupid rich (his own words).
No, that was the white businessman not Shredder who wanted to become stupid rich.
Xav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 01:16 AM   #32
Wildcat
Foot Elite

I don't know if everyone saw the video that was linked but they were being interviewed about Ouija and were asked about TMNT. In the clip they seem a little caught off guard? It wasn't the whole thing (and he actually said Stockman don't know why the article says Stockwell)

Obviously they know why some people don't like it or didn't go see it. They're not going to say "we know people hate the designs etc..."

Plus it has to be a little surprising when your first movie does significantly better. I still have not seen Oots. I'm not purposely avoiding it. Just have not seen it yet.
Old 10-31-2016, 02:14 AM   #33
Shark_Blade
Emperor

I'm grateful regardless, it's been a blast and a privilege!

TMNT1
TMNT 2014
TMNT OOTS
TMNT Turtles Forever
TMNT 2007
TMNT3
TMNT 2
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 11:02 AM   #34
Casey
Stone Warrior

"Baxter Stockwell"
Old 10-31-2016, 11:04 AM   #35
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey View Post
"Baxter Stockwell"
Kinda says it all right there, doesn't it?

"B-b-b-b-but we did the Beebop and the Rocksteady and th-th-th-the Baxter Stockwell and Krung and nobody c-c-came and it just doesn't m-m-make sense."
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 11:06 AM   #36
Casey
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post

"B-b-b-b-but we did the Beebop and the Rocksteady and th-th-th-the Baxter Stockwell and Krung and nobody c-c-came and it just doesn't m-m-make sense."
Haha. Pretty much.
Old 10-31-2016, 11:46 AM   #37
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:

That perfectly communicated a marketing guy curled up in the fetal position under his desk in a puddle of his own bodily fluids, sobbing pitiably.

Except there is no pity.

Kudos.
Old 10-31-2016, 11:47 AM   #38
CyberCubed
Overlord

It was the goddamn nostrils and the big Hulk-like look for the Turtles that doomed these movies from the start.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 11:49 AM   #39
Vegita-San
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bry View Post
Oh man! I just picked up my NECA Foot Clan set and I thought today could get no better for me TMNT-wise.

I mean, condolences to those who enjoyed this series, but I think it's pretty obvious they botched this from jump street. Though BayFormers keeps chugging along with idiotic garbage, I'm glad the audience rejected this one, and hopefully they find filmmakers/producers who understand how to make a good Turtles movie with the next attempt.
I don't even think they bothered to TRY to understand it in the first place. if so, they never would have even THOUGHT to make the Turtles Aliens. as soon as that leaked out, i knew it was doomed from the start.

Even when you have supposed fans working on the property, there's no garuntee it'll turn out right.

Look at the new series. it's pretty clear the people in charge want to focus on Mirage and Horror, with goofy monster designs each week like Super Shredder. Yet, Playmates and maybe nick want it more like the 80s series,throwing in everything at random and not taking time to make sure it's either developed, or fits.

I think what needs to happen is two fold. you need to groom a new peter laird and kevin eastman. someone to look after the property and handle all aspects of it. you need to reduce playmates control of the property. they only care about selling toys. they've got no real creative story input to offer. Nick should be pushing them around not the other way.

You need a creative control director. someone who knows the pulse of what's good for the property, and good for it to evolve.

And you just need a game plan. So far, IDW is the only one who devlops older properties. And i'm just amazed at how much they put out that I have ZERO complaints on. they've got their crap together. Paramount and Nick do not.
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 11:51 AM   #40
Vegita-San
Emperor

Quote:
Gee, some inexplicable reason, huh?

These guys are truly, truly lost. Hacks. Misguided hacks.
You just sent people who like to defend movies like this to their safe space.

Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tmnt 3