The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 07-28-2023, 02:09 AM   #1
Looney Turtles
Random Punk

Why were Seasons 3 and 4 of the 1987 series so long anyway?

Season 3 was a whopping 47 episodes, and Season 4 wasn't much shorter, with 41 episodes. However, if you count the Vacation in Europe episodes as part of Season 4 (which I do, since they don't fit in with Season 7's tone), then it's even longer than Season 3, with 54 episodes. Why were these seasons so long? Is there a specific reason for this?
Looney Turtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2023, 02:48 AM   #2
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looney Turtles View Post
Season 3 was a whopping 47 episodes, and Season 4 wasn't much shorter, with 41 episodes. However, if you count the Vacation in Europe episodes as part of Season 4 (which I do, since they don't fit in with Season 7's tone), then it's even longer than Season 3, with 54 episodes. Why were these seasons so long? Is there a specific reason for this?
Extreme popularity of the brand, which led to basically two TMNT series running in parallel - in syndication and on cable channels, I think.

Maybe I have confused some things, since I still don't understand how this stuff works, because, we don't have anything like that in Russia.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2023, 03:21 AM   #3
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post
Maybe I have confused some things, since I still don't understand how this stuff works, because, we don't have anything like that in Russia.
That's a very interesting topic, how radio and television works in different countries. I think it's worh a thead at the General Discussion.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2023, 04:31 AM   #4
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looney Turtles View Post
Season 3 brought the total episode count to 65 episodes, which was the standard length for cartoons back then. Most shows ended around 65 eps which is why the last 3 eps of Season 3 feel like they could have been a series finale. The whole show was probably originally intended to end right there but since it was so popular at the time they kept renewing it.

Season 4 having so many eps is a mystery, but the first half of the season was still syndication while the second half after the theme song change went to CBS. It's basically two seasons in one.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2023, 05:02 AM   #5
Icebot
Foot Elite

It might be because of the movie that came out in 1990. Also a sequel was on the way when season 4 happened. They were probably trying to promote the show based on the movies.

Also this was before Power Rangers came out, I think more people got into that and started losing interest in ninja turtles.
Icebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2023, 05:46 AM   #6
MrPliggins
Foot Elite

It was the height of “Turtlemania”. In the case of season 3, it was aired in syndication, which meant new episodes 5 days a week. Season 4 was when the show moved to CBS, so there were two new episodes a week, usually a Shredder episode followed by a Turtle-focused “villain of the week” episode. They also aired occasional new syndication episodes during season 4. You can tell which ones because they used the original opening sequence, but the CBS end credits.
MrPliggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2023, 05:47 AM   #7
Overlord

Cbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Most shows ended around 65 eps
Most American cartoons wanted reach 65 episodes as quick as possible, before entering syndication. But TMNT started in syndication, before moving to CBS during mid season 4.
Old 07-28-2023, 07:39 AM   #8
sdp
Megan Fox = April

S3&S4 are such a drag to watch because of that. I remember waiting for the DVD releases of S3 and it was tough to get through filler after filler in the volume releases and then wait many many months before another release. Then s4 dumped them all at once and it was also tough since it was too many fillers at once in one release.

I mean they have some good classic episodes but they're dragged by so many generic ones. They really needed some shirt 3 eps story arc in the middle to break the monotony a bit. At least S3 had a finale as a reward s4 gypped us out of one.

I actually think seasons after 4 are in many ways worse however since they are short and do have some sort of gimmick (European vacation, mutant of the day, lord dregg etc). It's easy to get through them since it's at least different than just another shredded /krang get energy for the technodrome episode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Dog McMutt View Post
I might be in the minority, but I liked almost every episode in season 3 and season 4.
I agree that many S3/S4 episodes are better than others after but that was actually my point. For some reason seeing a better written Shredder/Krang need energy or random mobster/mad scientist episode is more boring than a poorly written episode of the TMNT in Paris. Just the change in scenario makes it interesting.

Last edited by sdp; 08-03-2023 at 09:16 AM.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2023, 08:16 AM   #9
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
It's easy to get through them since it's at least different than just another shredded /krang get energy for the technodrome episode.
All I wanted during Season 3 was the Technodrome to repower and return. I didn't care much during Season 4 and Vacation in Europe, since the Volcanic Asteroid was the greatest Technodrome location ever.
Old 07-28-2023, 08:20 AM   #10
Mad Dog McMutt
Hench Mutant

I might be in the minority, but I liked almost every episode in season 3 and season 4.
Mad Dog McMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2023, 08:23 AM   #11
cammy85
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Season 3 brought the total episode count to 65 episodes, which was the standard length for cartoons back then. Most shows ended around 65 eps which is why the last 3 eps of Season 3 feel like they could have been a series finale. The whole show was probably originally intended to end right there but since it was so popular at the time they kept renewing it.

Season 4 having so many eps is a mystery, but the first half of the season was still syndication while the second half after the theme song change went to CBS. It's basically two seasons in one.
Season 3 is right on the money.

Season 4 on CBS was an hour long, so two episodes a week for a total of 26 episodes. Those ones that aired in syndication in 1991 were a nice surprise and I guess due to popularity; though they did have their problems like Michelangelo Toys Around and the fact that they aired when Season 5 was on and the Technodrome had indeed left Dimension X so the writers could make simpler plots and episodes where half took place in Dimension X.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
All I wanted during Season 3 was the Technodrome to repower and return. I didn't care much during Season 4 and Vacation in Europe, since the Volcanic Asteroid was the greatest Technodrome location ever.
YES!! And definitely the repowering plot dragged on too long.
cammy85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2023, 10:42 AM   #12
neatoman
Emperor

The producers wanted syndication, that's really about it. 65 episodes is the minimum to qualify for syndication and 100 virtually guarantees it. There is also the matter of the show being the only commercial success for its particular studio, which partially explains why they bothered to make more than 100 episodes, it wasn't safe to just end the show with nothing to replace it with. Had they made other shows that lasted 65 episodes, TMNT may very well had ended with 65 episodes.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2023, 10:52 AM   #13
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by cammy85 View Post
Season 5 was on and the Technodrome had indeed left Dimension X.
That gave me a thoguth.

Who decided when the Technodrome should move around, and where it should end up? I know it usually happened at the end or beginning of seasons, but were writers free to move the Technodrome as they wanted?
Old 07-28-2023, 03:31 PM   #14
CyberCubed
Overlord

The original TMNT cartoon should of hit over 200 episodes.
Old 07-28-2023, 03:44 PM   #15
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
S3&S4 are such a drag to watch because of that. I remember waiting for the DVD releases of S3 and it was tough to get through filler after filler in the volume releases and then wait many many months before another release. Then s4 dumped them all at once and it was also tough since it was too many fillers at once in one release.

I mean they have some good classic episodes but they're dragged by so many generic ones. They really needed some shirt 3 eps story arc in the middle to break the monotony a bit. At least S3 had a finale as a reward s4 gypped us out of one.
Season 3 only had 3-4 bad episodes. The clip show episode and maybe 3 others. Most eps back then were still fresh and unique since the show hadn't quite yet recycled plots or explored all its ideas yet.
Old 07-29-2023, 11:40 PM   #16
Looney Turtles
Random Punk

Quote:
I agree that many S3/S4 episodes are better than others after but that was actually my point. For some reason seeing a better written Shredder/Krang need energy or random mobster/mad scientist episode is more boring than a poorly written episode of the TMNT in Paris. Just the change in scenario makes it interesting.
Despite being the shortest season with only 5 episodes, Season 1 is my favorite. But Seasons 2 and 3 aren't far behind. The earlier, the better, pretty much.
Looney Turtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2023, 07:59 AM   #17
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icebot View Post
Also this was before Power Rangers came out, I think more people got into that and started losing interest in ninja turtles.
The Power Rangers definately hurt the Turtles. Another reason is children becoming teenagers, and feeling ashemed for enjoying cartoons and comics.