The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Everything Else

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you have kids?
Yes I have kids and am a parent 11 35.48%
No, I do not have kids but I'd like to have some and be a parent in the future 9 29.03%
No, I do not have kids and never want kids. No plans to ever be a parent 11 35.48%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-07-2018, 09:49 PM   #121
CyberCubed
Overlord

Most people these days look younger than they are, unlike the old days. My mother is 59, she can be mistaken for her mid 40's.

Back in the day people would let their hair go gray and wear "old people clothes" like seen in those old movies/pictures or how your grandparents did, but these days people don't do that anymore. That's why tons of women in their 50's don't look as old as women in their 50's did back in the 1970's-1990's. It's a different time.

I think these days almost everyone looks 5-10 years younger than they really are, assuming you take care of yourself.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 10:05 PM   #122
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Perhaps, but with cancer and other diseases at such high rates even for relatively young people now, why take the added risk of having kids later in life when those are more likely to be fatal? People dying of cancer or heart disease in their 50's and 60's is such a common thing that is seems almost foolish to wait and possibly deprive a child of a parent while the child is still young. Especially women who choose to have a child as a single mother later in life once she has gone into a career. There is a reason people have historically had children at younger ages, and it is for security for the child's growing years, with healthy, physically able parents.

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 03:54 AM   #123
newfan
Mad Scientist

This is just something that's personal to individuals and can be a very sensitive issue for some.

So far as problems go in pregnancy, though risks go up with age you can still find young people having a terrible time and older people not. I was 32 when I had my first and had no problems with any of it, in either pregnancy. (which was lucky given I had other things to deal with during the 2nd)
I also agree on having to consider how old you will be when your child is a teen, for some, it isn't a problem. My gap isn't too big but one of my fears has been coming into bad health before my children are grown up, i think a lot of parents have that concern though.

As for looking like grandma, I'd think that would be more the further end of the scale than 30s. With it being more common to start late as well as some still being young some young grandmothers can be mistaken for mom

Last edited by newfan; 01-08-2018 at 05:10 AM.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 06:12 AM   #124
TheBlueTurtle1
Foot Elite

This is an interesting topic. I guess it really is a matter of opinion, I personally still do not want children, and I am well in to my 30s, but still will not rule it out in the future.

I also don't understand why anyone in their teens/early 20s wants to get married and/or have children. You are still a kid yourself and getting to know who you are, and what you want from life. Can anyone say at 20 they found the person they want to spend the next 60-70 years with??? I think by your 30s you have a better judgment of your wants and needs.

28-35 is in my opinion, is a much better age to settle down. So many generations have had families young and now trends seem to be changing and I think that is a good thing. An older person has more wisdom, to bestow upon their children.

http://jandmdev.deviantart.com/ (My Brother and I have a dev page, I am J, brother is M)
TheBlueTurtle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 07:30 AM   #125
Sumac
Banned

In my country it's considered "normal" to have children right after finishing school or about that time.
Which most of the time leads to horrible divorces, single-mothers and bunch of traumatized young people, because, their relatives and society at large, pressure them to start families and have kids as early as possible.

Considering economical situation, most of the time it's really stupid idea and those young families live by loaning money from banks or mooching of their old parents, because, they don't really have a good job to support family on their own.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 07:40 AM   #126
TheBlueTurtle1
Foot Elite

I guess financial security, another reason to wait longer to have children. Get a good job and some savings behind you before you start.

http://jandmdev.deviantart.com/ (My Brother and I have a dev page, I am J, brother is M)
Old 01-08-2018, 08:04 AM   #127
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
It's a mixed bag. On one hand, an older person might have more financial security, but a younger parent has more energy to keep up with a growing child. Wisdom? That really depends on how mentally mature and responsible the person is, which is more of an individual thing than strictly an age ussue. I know of some early 20-somethings who were more mature than many people 10 or 15 years older. My uncle is a case of someone who had kids a bit older, but was not equipped to deal with the responsibilities of parenthood, given his own bad life-decisions. (ie, getting into drugs long before he ever even had kids, and then being in and out of jail through most of their early lives.)

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 08:08 AM   #128
newfan
Mad Scientist

As said, people will have different views and also people's circumstances are different. What is right for one young person or one older person isn't for another.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 08:34 AM   #129
CyberCubed
Overlord

I can’t imagine early 20 year olds with kids. As said they’re barely adults themselves, feels like you’re not mature enough or have enough money to raise a kid. Granted some of this is unplanned pregnancies, but for those who plan it, it is odd to me. I think some people are also just in a rush to grow up. They are in College or leaving and want a kid already.
Old 01-08-2018, 08:35 AM   #130
biganimefan
Foot Soldier

I'm turning 34 at the end of next month, but I'd say that I can keep up with my boy just fine. Hoping that remains the same with another boy thrown in. Don't see why not though. As far as being healthy is concerned, I haven't made the best choices exactly but I don't have any issue with my health.

Now, on the financial side of things, I do understand wanting to make sure you're in a good place to support a family. My wife and I are in a pretty good position now, but we weren't necessarily when we were expecting our first and several months into his life. We were living with my parents while waiting for my wife's Masters Degree to mean something(getting offered a job). We had expected a job offer after having a job interview in Minnesota before moving in with them(didn't happen, they chose someone local). Getting a job took a lot longer than we were expecting and we got pregnant right away after starting to try.
biganimefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 09:10 AM   #131
TheBlueTurtle1
Foot Elite

This is just my opinion, so don't jump at me on this, but I think being older means people are less likely to have loads of kids, I think people only need 1 or 2. I am one of 4, your parents can't spread themselves so thinly across so many children. The less you have, the more time and devotion a parent can give a child.

I also don't think it's good to have all these great grandparents around, where so many generations have had children so young. My parents are in their 60s and they are still looking after their parents who are in their late 80s and early 90s. i want my parents to be able to enjoy the last of their best years, before they get too old, and they struggle at times. It just seems so wrong.

Old 01-08-2018, 12:29 PM   #132
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

My mother had 11 siblings. 3 brothers and 8 sisters.

These days people find 2 kids stressful, imagine 12

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 12:35 PM   #133
Shiro Kame
Foot Clan Mutant Renegade

I don't have kids. I might consider it if I find a suitable life partner.

Shiro Kame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 01:00 PM   #134
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
My mother had 11 siblings. 3 brothers and 8 sisters.

These days people find 2 kids stressful, imagine 12
Out of curiosity what country is this in? I believe you said, Pakistan, right? Is it common over there for huge families? As you said I seriously can't imagine that many kids, how do you feel them all especially with people being so poor?
Old 01-08-2018, 01:01 PM   #135
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Out of curiosity what country is this in? I believe you said, Pakistan, right? Is it common over there for huge families? As you said I seriously can't imagine that many kids, how do you feel them all especially with people being so poor?
Yeah, thats the correct one.

I don't even know how they were all fed, but somehow they all made it into adulthood.

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
Old 01-08-2018, 01:03 PM   #136
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
Yeah, thats the correct one.

I don't even know how they were all fed, but somehow they all made it into adulthood.
Why do people in the middle east have so many kids? Especially with the knowledge that most people are quite poor? I can't even imagine having enough food to feed yourself, your husband/wife, or more than 2 kids...let alone 10+

It's just mind boggling to think about.
Old 01-08-2018, 01:07 PM   #137
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

No one tell Cubed about the Quiverfull movement.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 01:16 PM   #138
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
No one tell Cubed about the Quiverfull movement.
A wondrous movement that never harmed or hindered anyone. A true gift to the ages!
Old 01-08-2018, 01:18 PM   #139
CyberCubed
Overlord

I literally have no idea what that is, it's the first time I'm hearing about it.

I'm a sweet summer child, I don't know about this stuff.
Old 01-08-2018, 01:20 PM   #140
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

I've also never heard of the term "The Quiverfull movement" before but I always knew there were religious people who believe that having lots of kids is divinely sanctioned.

In the case of the Abrahamic faiths, many take their cue from God's command to be "Be Fruitful and Multiply" as per the book of Genesis.

Tags
a day inside may, andrew likes tags, cubed monkeys around, plastron comes back, plastron goes quiet