The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Current Events

Notices

Old 01-18-2018, 08:12 PM   #1
Katie
Just...way too serious.

California Parents Arrested for Extreme Child Abuse

I didn’t see this being discussed....

13 kids. Disgusting situation. I can’t even imagine what drives people to fo these horrible things.

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...found-shackled
Old 01-18-2018, 08:23 PM   #2
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Saw that on the news while I was out to eat for dinner earlier tonight. Absolutely horrifying. I can't imagine the hell those kids went through. And then, on a more superficial level, I felt sorry for the social workers and case managers who are going to work that case because those kids are going to need sooo much help and it's going to be emotionally draining trying to help them get over what they've been through. It's just a mess for everyone involved. I don't understand how people can be so dementedly cruel.
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 08:25 PM   #3
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

This is very bad.

Up there with the worst cases of child abuse like Joseph Fritzil.

It is an unfortunate reality that people like this exist, and as we speak, are doing things unheard of to their children. It is best we always keep an eye out, we never know what could be behind closed doors.

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 08:28 PM   #4
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

One other thing to think about this is that a lot of the "kids" were over 18, with the oldest being 29.

So there should basically be kidnapping charges on top of everything else.
Old 01-18-2018, 08:36 PM   #5
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utrommaniac View Post
One other thing to think about this is that a lot of the "kids" were over 18, with the oldest being 29.

So there should basically be kidnapping charges on top of everything else.
I think that due to some legal mumbo-jumbo that aspect of the case is being construed as charges of "abuse of a dependent adult". I don't think semantics are terribly important in this regard, as long as these people answer for their crimes
Old 01-18-2018, 09:39 PM   #6
Spike Spiegel
See You Next Mission

Those "parents" should experience firsthand what they did to their kids...I'd imagine that neither of them would survive very long in prison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomancer View Post
Mirage [is]...a comic about life and how life and the people closest to you just absolutely suck sometimes. It's "adult" in a very real sense, in that it deals with heavy themes that resonate more with adults, not that it's full of blood and titties or whatever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_osborn View Post
[TMNT 1990 director Steve] Barron recognized the early Mirage issues as perfect storyboards. It's a shame no other filmmaker has.
Spike Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 09:57 PM   #7
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike Spiegel View Post
Those "parents" should experience firsthand what they did to their kids...I'd imagine that neither of them would survive very long in prison.
I understand the sentiment but that would only serve to propagate a system of violence, we gotta break the cycle man

These parents were obviously seriously mentally ill and clearly deserve to spend the rest of their lives behind bars; I just wish they had been given the care and support they needed as adolescents to prevent this from happening. Love and kindness is always the key to creating healthy human beings. But then again sometimes I think people are born incapable of understanding love
Old 01-18-2018, 10:43 PM   #8
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

I don't even really know if it's love so much as basic empathy.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 11:01 AM   #9
triplexxx
Mad Scientist

To think, this may have been going on for almost all the years I've been around, and no one ever stumbled on to it, really strange how things like this can go on for this long without anyone knowing.
Please don't shoot me Mr. Big Mike. I'm too young and good-looking to die, well too young. I got a father, I got a mother, I got a grandmother, I got a little sister...and a little brother this high (raises hand), and a little brother this high (lowers hand), and little brother this high (lowers hand), and a little brother this high (lowers hand), and a little brother this high (lowers hand) and then I got a great big brother this high (slaps gun and runs).
"Fright Night" - Three Stooges
triplexxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 02:25 PM   #10
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Saw something about this the other day, so horrible. I especially feel bad for the eldest ones who have no doubt lived that situation for so frigging long and no doubt been so damaged physically and emotionally. The younger ones might be able to go to fosters, maybe even end up adopted, and recover to some extent with lots of love and therapy, but I hope there are kind people that will take the young adult kids (and any almost grown) under their wing so they can get some kind of footing in life if they're capable of being independent eventually. They're gonna need a heck of a lot of help.

That 2-year-old is lucky that he or she may later not remember too much.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 03:00 AM   #11
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Shouldn't the neighbours hear the children screaming?
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 02:46 PM   #12
Katie
Just...way too serious.

I don’t think these kids screamed. Seems like there’s a cultish level of brainwashing going on here. Plus apparently they slept all day and were awake at night.

There were two dogs which were well fed and cared for.... but they tortured their kids. Nice folks.
Old 01-20-2018, 03:04 PM   #13
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie View Post
I don’t think these kids screamed. Seems like there’s a cultish level of brainwashing going on here. Plus apparently they slept all day and were awake at night.

There were two dogs which were well fed and cared for.... but they tortured their kids. Nice folks.
Yeah, the level of insanity apparent in the two adults is mind-boggling.

The nocturnal schedule, the claims of anything beyond hand-washing as water-wasting, the toys left in the packaging to be used as motivation/psychological torture, all signs of mental illness. Very sad.
Old 01-21-2018, 07:08 AM   #14
Katie
Just...way too serious.

Those in the package toys were mistly Disney collectibles. They were apparently heavy worshipers at the alter of The Mouse.

The more I read about them the weirder it gets.