The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion

Notices

Old 07-21-2020, 06:25 PM   #1
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Neca's Response to Scalpers

necaofficial
Verified
In case you missed our story from yesterday, we want to reiterate that we hear you. We have read your feedback and criticism.

It?s become very obvious that recently a number of scalpers are using sophisticated bots to capture our exclusives with the intent of selling them. We are in the process of installing features to slow down and stop the bots including limiting shipments to the same address, putting up CAPTCHA systems, along with other remedies. These features may not be immediate, but we are looking to implement them in the near future.

Do not support the scalpers. If you can?t get them now, please be aware that we are placing additional orders for popular items such as Casey Jones & Disguised Raphael and Bebop & Rocksteady. Additionally, we have a nice surprise for you in the coming weeks with an online exclusive that fans will be able to get 1 of.

Stay tuned for details.
Old 07-21-2020, 06:39 PM   #2
wpugh2424
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autbot_Benz View Post
necaofficial
Verified
In case you missed our story from yesterday, we want to reiterate that we hear you. We have read your feedback and criticism.

It?s become very obvious that recently a number of scalpers are using sophisticated bots to capture our exclusives with the intent of selling them. We are in the process of installing features to slow down and stop the bots including limiting shipments to the same address, putting up CAPTCHA systems, along with other remedies. These features may not be immediate, but we are looking to implement them in the near future.

Do not support the scalpers. If you can?t get them now, please be aware that we are placing additional orders for popular items such as Casey Jones & Disguised Raphael and Bebop & Rocksteady. Additionally, we have a nice surprise for you in the coming weeks with an online exclusive that fans will be able to get 1 of.

Stay tuned for details.
Good I hope this will work
Maybe it?ll be enough incentive for people not to go to secondary market, in effect screwing the scalpers who have been screwing us
Old 07-21-2020, 06:42 PM   #3
funksk8er
Random Punk

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpugh2424 View Post
Good I hope this will work
Maybe it?ll be enough incentive for people not to go to secondary market, in effect screwing the scalpers who have been screwing us
I agree. I am glad they finally made a public statement about it.
funksk8er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 06:48 PM   #4
xZAOx
Stone Warrior

This is good for their store - but it won't do much to help stuff that is exclusive to Target or Walmart only. I know they've also said that some of the upcoming stuff has different deals, so they hope to be able to sell it to US customers on their site too, but we'll see.

Really, until we're able to pre-order them on NECA's site and things are made to order, the issue will continue. That or they finally find the magic number to produce to meet demand, without having a bunch of stock leftover.
xZAOx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 07:00 PM   #5
teemu
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by xZAOx View Post
Really, until we're able to pre-order them on NECA's site and things are made to order, the issue will continue.
This is the bottom line. Made to order is the only way it will work.
teemu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 02:19 AM   #6
Discogod
Resolutely Analogue.

This is one of the few times that being a collector in the UK is advantageous - we get the NECA stuff at retail, so it's just a matter of pre ordering. Sure, it's more expensive, but so easy.
Discogod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 02:47 AM   #7
Turnstone
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discogod View Post
This is one of the few times that being a collector in the UK is advantageous - we get the NECA stuff at retail, so it's just a matter of pre ordering. Sure, it's more expensive, but so easy.
Happy for you guys for a change. However, sounds like it might be more difficult for you guys in the future.
Turnstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 03:38 AM   #8
Chris
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnstone View Post
Happy for you guys for a change. However, sounds like it might be more difficult for you guys in the future.
What makes you say that? I've not seen anything to say the UK/European distribution is changing.

Only thing I can think of is them hinting that Tokka & Rahzar might be an online exclusive, but those details aren't confirmed (could be NECA Store exclusive for worldwide or just exclusive for US with some for international but also available via online stores like the Casey and Raph set)
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 08:15 AM   #9
Redrumh2o
Mad Scientist

LootCrate seemed to be the easiest way in the US at least, but much more expensive per figure.

I still remember a big bin of the NECA Mirage figs on clearance at a Suncoast video and walking past it lol....

And the color 4 pack being sold by Peter Laird on the Mirage site for $35....I did grab one of those signed though!!
Redrumh2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 08:40 AM   #10
Browne762
Foot Soldier

Seems like a empty gesture when a big portion of the problem is on websites they do not control.
Browne762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 09:20 AM   #11
***First of Two Latin Kings***
Will not be censored

NECA is a company full of ****** people that ironically makes a great product. I'm not in the game like I used to be but I will be sure to scalp at least a few of these
I can hear it now: "I'm sorry little April, I told you that if you didn't take good care of them I'd be taking them away. Now they are going to the lab to be abused for experimentation" (You could almost rewrite this as April caused the fire to get back at her father over it...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCanadiandrome View Post
Powder I'd not defend him, that's just how he gets

International shipping assistance: DARTHCJJ@GMAIL.COM
***First of Two Latin Kings*** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 09:22 AM   #12
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browne762 View Post
Seems like a empty gesture when a big portion of the problem is on websites they do not control.
Yeah, and like, how are they gonna stop people from abusing the system at retail, too? In the unlikely event I saw a stack of two-packs at Target or Walmart or whatever, what's stopping me from buying all of them and then flipping 'em at a mark-up? In theory, I mean; I could never afford to do that and these things don't even exist where I live, anyway, stores either don't stock 'em or they stock them once and never again.

It's nice that they're trying to address the problem, but there's a ton of holes that they can't patch.

There's only TWO ways to fix the situation, both problematic:

- Made-to-order, as some have said. Problem is, they might cost more AND the wait to get them might be longer.

- Just Make More. That's the big one, the only REAL way to cut the problem off at the knees once and for all for the consumers. If there's no artificial scarcity, then there's no problems. Consider: People were selling Nintendo Wii consoles on eBay for $1000 when they dropped, and they're worthless now (I think I have one holding up a wobbly table in the other room ); All That only happened because they purposely held back on product at launch to inflate the demand, which is 100% for PR and nothing else. Same thing with this stuff. NECA wants these toys to be "hot items", which they wouldn't be if you could just go to the store right now and buy them anytime you want. But it's stupid, because it's bad for the fans, and because they don't do that with any of their OTHER licensed products, and in the end they might even lose money because frustrated buyers like me just give up on ever owning them at all. They're trying to inflate demand by creating scarcity in the marketplace when that's not even necessary. If every single TMNT fan who wanted one of their sets could buy one without hassle, they'd STILL make tons of money. There's no REASON to tamper with the market like they're doing, trying to make it a giant Easter Egg hunt. It's incredibly shortsighted on their end, all for the sake of publicity and nothing more.

Now, I understand that there's reasons why they probably can't Just Make More. For one, Playmates probably has "rules" about how many they're allowed to make, but f*ck Playmates, they're terrible, they need to get out of the way and let better companies handle the brand once and for all. Yeah, they hold the "Master License", but their sh*t's a joke. Nobody bought the PD movie figures, and nobody bought the "Rise" figures. Sorry if that stings, Playmates, but your stuff is junk, step aside.

For another, I understand that NECA and any company is concerned about over-production and getting stuck with unsold stock. To that I say... Psssssssshhhhh. Are they paying attention? If they printed two million of these things, they'd sell two million and still have another half million people lined up with their hands out, begging. People WANT these figures, there's no risk whatsoever that NECA would ever get stuck with a huge bulk of unsold stock, that simply isn't going to happen. Even if the sets retailed for $100 and not $50, they'd STILL sell every single one of them because they're the toys most TMNT fans have been waiting 30+ years to finally get. They could say, "You have to give the guy at the register a BJ before you're allowed to complete the transaction", and some people would STILL say "That's fine", so long as they got the figures. That's Reality.

So yeah, I know why they "can't" Just Make More - Playmates won't let 'em probably being the Real Reason, because fear of unsold stock is just bogus - but that's the only way the problem can be resolved, in truth. So long as there's only one set for every 100 people who want one, The Way That It Is is The Way It's Gonna Be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ***First of Two Latin Kings*** View Post
NECA is a company full of ****** people that ironically makes a great product. I'm not in the game like I used to be but I will be sure to scalp at least a few of these
Still making friends, I see.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 09:26 AM   #13
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Supply and demand.
Old 07-22-2020, 09:32 AM   #14
Leo656
The Franchise

If I'm a smart businessman, I react to Demand by increasing Supply.

NECA doesn't make money on back-end deals through scalpers. This mess is of their own making.

I mean, I get it. "Dead" brand, older fanbase, no heat with little kids... "We probably don't need to make a ton of these, we probably won't sell that many."

Except "Oops", people actually do want them and can't get 'em. In turn, they look like idiots for dramatically underestimating the Demand and in turn withholding the Supply.

It's been two years. Plenty of time to adjust to what's actually going on. Either ramp up production or admit that you're not at all interested in keeping your customers happy.

Old 07-22-2020, 09:39 AM   #15
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
If I'm a smart businessman, I react to Demand by increasing Supply.

NECA doesn't make money on back-end deals through scalpers. This mess is of their own making.

I mean, I get it. "Dead" brand, older fanbase, no heat with little kids... "We probably don't need to make a ton of these, we probably won't sell that many."

Except "Oops", people actually do want them and can't get 'em. In turn, they look like idiots for dramatically underestimating the Demand and in turn withholding the Supply.

It's been two years. Plenty of time to adjust to what's actually going on. Either ramp up production or admit that you're not at all interested in keeping your customers happy.
Yes, but if can artificially inflate demand through restricting supply, you can reap the benefits. Assuming you're willing to take the hit from scalpers.

Sounds like maybe NECA is getting a bit tired of taking the hit, but isn't quite ready to loosen their own grip?
Old 07-22-2020, 09:46 AM   #16
Leo656
The Franchise

If that's their "plan", it isn't working, they're just pissing people off to the point where they don't even wanna bother with NECA anymore.

6 Months Ago: "Why would anyone want these Super7 toys when we have NECA?"

Today, Same People: "F*ck NECA, at least if I want the Super7 figures I can get 'em."

Cat's out of the bag by now. Everybody everywhere knows that you "can't find" NECA's TMNT stuff no matter how cool it looks. Thus, they're killing off their own demand.

"Oops."

They saw when they did the first 1990 Movie and FW sets that the demand was already there and much greater than they anticipated. NO need whatsoever to create artificial scarcity when they were already never going to meet demand. Maybe two years ago they didn't know how popular the sets would be, but they certainly can't claim that NOW. All they're doing NOW is leaving money on the table by irritating people like me, who would gladly buy them but can't be bothered with The Chase.

Last edited by Leo656; 07-22-2020 at 09:52 AM.
Old 07-22-2020, 12:00 PM   #17
Slime State Alumni
Hench Mutant

So Randy is just repeating the same stuff he said last year. Cool.
Old 07-22-2020, 01:09 PM   #18
mikey see
Mad Scientist

Glad they seem to think we've reached the tipping point. I watched Pixel Dan's OOTS review the other day and all the top comments were people commenting about how they were just going to get flipped anyway, so why bother trying. Then yesterday there was a bunch of new reveals that should have been exciting but again, people just didn't care because the reality has set in that these are largely ebay exclusives. I guess posting a new reveal and being met with shrugs, memes, and hate has gotten tiresome.

Still, there's no fixing the Target/Walmart problems really. They can just not announce the drop time but then a lot of us will have even worse odds of getting them. I can't be F5ing all day.
mikey see is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 01:19 PM   #19
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by teemu View Post
This is the bottom line. Made to order is the only way it will work.
Exactly. The scalper issue is a bigger issue nowadays that there aren't any mass market toy stores. There's basically fewer shopping options which means more focus on exclusive releases. It's not like these are available at Wal-Mart, Target, TRU, and Kay-Bee. They are available in one place and it's a place that allocates one or two facings on a shelf and that's it.

Basically the solution is pre-order via the NECA site. That's it. They'd be cheaper too. Cut out Target and Wal-Mart and all of the transport and setup costs.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 01:21 PM   #20
Leo656
The Franchise

It would be absolutely evil, but also pretty funny if NECA themselves "bought up" all the stock and were flipping them on eBay themselves.

I know that's not happening, but still. That'd be such a Lex Luthor type thing to do that I'd have to admire it.