The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 03-17-2019, 11:45 AM   #1
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Why Did The Show Never Enter Syndication?

I was an elementary school student with not much knowledge of when the show was airing. It just suddenly stopped. All I remember was it was to transition into a live action show and knew to tape as many episodes as I could. However as of Labor Day 1996 it stopped airing on USA Cartoon Express and CBS Saturday Morning. Why did another network not buy out CBS's rights to air from that time? Quite a few shows are syndicated by networks owned by different companies. It would seem like in the pass 22 plus years that someone who have tried to have bought syndication rights of a television show that had such success. Is there any clear answer as to why for 22 years TMNT(1987) has not aired in the United States? Its always been mind boggling to me.
Old 03-17-2019, 11:56 AM   #2
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
Is there any clear answer as to why for 22 years TMNT(1987) has not aired in the United States? Its always been mind boggling to me.
Season 10 aired between September and November 1996. By that point the franchise was dead since around 1992–1993 (in the USA).

Also, I guess it would take time to air reruns of all 193 episodes so it's better releasing them to DVD.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 11:57 AM   #3
neatoman
Emperor

Allegedly, Fred Wolf has an absurdly high demand for airing the show. I remember something about Nickelodeon wanting to air it but backed out when they saw what it would cost.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 12:00 PM   #4
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
Season 10 aired between September and November 1996. By that point the franchise was dead since around 1992–1993 (in the USA).

Also, I guess it would take time to air reruns of all 193 episodes so it's better releasing them to DVD.
I remained a huge fan,able to have other interest alongside it( MLB,MMPR, Baseball),but I would have thought during the 2003 show or 2012 show interest in airing it would have happened.

Remember we only got two episodes per official VHS release. DVDs were still a couple of years from wide distribution, let alone season sets.
Old 03-17-2019, 12:02 PM   #5
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
Allegedly, Fred Wolf has an absurdly high demand for airing the show. I remember something about Nickelodeon wanting to air it but backed out when they saw what it would cost.
I also recall, by 2003–2004, there were calls for TV 3 Sweden to air reruns of the series (and James Bond Junior).
Old 03-17-2019, 12:02 PM   #6
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
I always thought CBS owned syndication rights? So Fred Wolf does? He has not had a hit before it or after it and his studio is pretty much dead. So this is the reason we have never seen it air again after September 1996? Sure, Turtlemainia was over,but why hold out for a price that does not work?
Old 03-17-2019, 12:09 PM   #7
CyberCubed
Overlord

Because TMNT was never owned by a major company.

Cartoon Network only mostly aired Time Warner/WB/Hanna-Barbera shows back then because it's what they owned. Nickelodeon aired Nick shows, and Disney aired their shows.

The original TMNT cartoon was not owned by any major network so none of them bought it.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 12:36 PM   #8
The Deadman
Foot Elite

Quote:
I always thought CBS owned syndication rights? So Fred Wolf does? He has not had a hit before it or after it and his studio is pretty much dead. So this is the reason we have never seen it air again after September 1996? Sure, Turtlemainia was over,but why hold out for a price that does not work?
It was already in syndication when it first aired.

Last Movie Watched: Leprechaun Origins (2014).
Last TV Show Watched: Adventures of Sonic The Hedgehog (S1:E11).
The Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 01:11 PM   #9
Overlord

Vhs

Quote:
I remained a huge fan,able to have other interest alongside it( MLB,MMPR, Baseball),but I would have thought during the 2003 show or 2012 show interest in airing it would have happened.

Remember we only got two episodes per official VHS release. DVDs were still a couple of years from wide distribution, let alone season sets.
Couldn't the VHS tapes have more episodes? I used to hometape and recall tapes running up to two or three hours.
Old 03-17-2019, 02:37 PM   #10
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Deadman View Post
It was already in syndication when it first aired.
You know what I mean, it did air during the time it aired new episodes,but once the first television season without new episodes begin it was pulled. Since September 1997 it was pulled from the air altogether never to be shown by any network at all despite its mega success and further cartoons.
Old 03-17-2019, 02:38 PM   #11
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Couldn't the VHS tapes have more episodes? I used to hometape and recall tapes running up to two or three hours.
I am referring to storebought and sold with TMNT episodes on them. Aside from the Eye of Sanrath which had four and a different case opposed to the usual slip cover it was just two episodes. The Burger King Kids's Club and the one from TV Teddy was just one episode!
Old 03-17-2019, 02:41 PM   #12
Leo656
The Franchise

It actually was syndicated at a few brief points both during and after its run.

In my area, the weekday afternoon show was mostly on Fox Channel 5, but usually another channel like channel 11 would show older re-runs an hour later in the day. Eventually that stopped.

Also, USA Cartoon Express added the show to its lineup between 1994 and some time in late 1996 or early 1997. They even included poorly-drawn versions of them during the "Cartoon Express" intro that showcased all the shows and characters like Real Ghostbusters, G.I. Joe, etc., but as I recall they didn't air it as often as those shows. I can't remember 100% but I think they replaced it with Sonic SatAM, or at the very least, stopped airing it around the same time they started airing Sonic. Shortly after they abandoned the "Cartoon Express" concept completely and dropped most of the shows altogether.

I'm not aware of TMNT being syndicated anywhere else after that, but those are the two instances I'm aware of in which they were. It's very possible it was a regional thing and they may not have aired in syndication elsewhere. Hope that helps.

Quote:
That's generally if you switched the Record setting to "SLP" or something, in which case you could hold up to 6 hours sometimes, but the more stuff you put on the tape, the sh*ttier the picture quality. Different tapes each had their own limit for what would fit on them.

If you look at the commercially-available TMNT VHS tapes, there's very little tape on the spool to begin with, which means that they purposely chose a cassette that would only hold a short amount of footage but would play back at the highest possible picture and sound quality.

By contrast, I used to own at least one commercially-bought tape of 6-hours worth of classic cartoons from the 40s and whatnot, and it looked and felt like a bootleg despite being store-bought. So the reason the TMNT tapes that were sold did not fit more than one or two episodes was primarily a quality control factor.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/

Last edited by Leo656; 03-17-2019 at 02:46 PM.
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 02:47 PM   #13
Overlord

Quote:
I am referring to storebought and sold with TMNT episodes on them.
I know, but I said they should be sold with more episodes (compare to how much a videotape could fit).
Old 03-18-2019, 11:02 AM   #14
pferreira
Foot Elite

The only answer I can give to this is that by the mid-90s TMNT wasn't a big thing any more and with bigger then current properties being shown the networks guesses those shows would bring in more ratings. Having said that it did take a long while for the US to get Season 2 of TMNT after Season 1 on DVD.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 11:11 AM   #15
cammy85
Stone Warrior

Our CBS affiliate in the early 90s was WTOL in Toledo. They were already famous for mixing in the Saturday morning lineup with their own local E/I shows. in 1994, they dropped TMNT altogether which left me to believe they did indeed end on Shredder Triumphant.

Two years later, we permanently switched to WCCO just as the summer reruns were winding down so I did discover that I had missed two years of TMNT. However... a few minutes into Get Shredder, it was very clear why that happened and I made sure to include my thoughts on that in an English essay I wrote that year regarding violence in the media.

Edit: now as to the main topic: despite being a national phenomenon, maybe it was too violent for some affiliate managers to want to carry? Look what eventually happened to Power Rangers.
cammy85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 11:12 AM   #16
Overlord

Season 2 DVD

Quote:
Originally Posted by pferreira View Post
The only answer I can give to this is that by the mid-90s TMNT wasn't a big thing any more and with bigger then current properties being shown the networks guesses those shows would bring in more ratings. Having said that it did take a long while for the US to get Season 2 of TMNT after Season 1 on DVD.
Season 2 was released to DVD in April 2005, one year after Season 1

http://mutantooze.org/ninjaturtles/h...ssictoons.html
Old 03-18-2019, 11:19 AM   #17
cammy85
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by pferreira View Post
Quote:
Season 2 was released to DVD in April 2005, one year after Season 1

http://mutantooze.org/ninjaturtles/h...ssictoons.html
The reason for the long delay was because they released Season 1 to test the waters. That's also why they included four episodes from Season 10 as "never before seen episodes". They could see the demand was high so again they tested the waters with Season 2. That's also why they were so silly with their Season 3 releases as well. Finally, they switched suppliers and the rest is history.
Old 03-18-2019, 11:35 AM   #18
Overlord

April 2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by cammy85 View Post
The reason for the long delay was because they released Season 1 to test the waters. That's also why they included four episodes from Season 10 as "never before seen episodes". They could see the demand was high so again they tested the waters with Season 2. That's also why they were so silly with their Season 3 releases as well. Finally, they switched suppliers and the rest is history.
With no Youtube, it must have been awsome just to get your hands on the Season 1 DVD back in April 2004.
Old 03-18-2019, 12:21 PM   #19
cammy85
Stone Warrior

I'll bet it was!! No complaining here. I was stuck with the aneurysm encodes for years until the Turtle Van set came out. I do notice difference with Season 1 quality compared to the later releases.
Old 03-18-2019, 12:45 PM   #20
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by cammy85 View Post
I remember there being quite a gap between one of the seasons. Maybe it was between Season 2 and 3 then?

Quote:
With no Youtube, it must have been awsome just to get your hands on the Season 1 DVD back in April 2004.
Well it wasn't until 2009 I believe we got the first two seasons in the UK.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote