The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 05-13-2014, 06:52 AM   #1
Icebot
Foot Elite

Music that makes you think on ninja turtles?

Is there any music that whenever you hear it, it makes you think of ninja turtles? Such as songs that you heard all the time in the period when a new episode of any TMNT cartoon aired?
Icebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 08:53 AM   #2
CowabungaMikey
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icebot View Post
Is there any music that whenever you hear it, it makes you think of ninja turtles? Such as songs that you heard all the time in the period when a new episode of any TMNT cartoon aired?

The intro.

Cowabunga says it all!
CowabungaMikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 09:45 AM   #3
Kanon
Stone Warrior

I was watching 2k3 season 3 episode 20 "Across the Universe" and my father
suddenly turned ACDCs "Highway to hell" on.

Thanks to him, everytime Raphael drives a bike this song appear in my mind.
Old 05-13-2014, 12:40 PM   #4
Anton Chigurh
Hench Mutant

Not a song but I love that dam little league Pizza Hut commercial that was on the VHS, god such simpler times.... I miss it

"you have meddeled with the primal forces of nature Mr. Beale"
Anton Chigurh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 01:09 PM   #5
Type 97 Chi-ha
Mad Scientist

"The Riddle" (both song and album) by Nik Kershaw. Reason: I bought a tape of the album while I was an arcade game repairman, and guess which was the most popular one at the time? I did investigate the show and Mirage comic series at the time, and two sort of melded.
Type 97 Chi-ha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 03:52 PM   #6
Cipher
Foot Elite

Oh, man. You really asked the right question for me. Get ready for some free-associative answers. I usually read things with music, including comics, so I've ended up with some albums pretty firmly rooted in my memory as being paired with certain books.

I don't even know how to explain this one, but for around six years now, Radiohead's "15 Step" has always made me think of "City at War" from the comics:

And "Bodysnatchers" from the same album of its climactic fight against the Foot Elite:

Really, most of that album. Again, no real connection other than thinking it fits tonally, I suppose. (Actually, maybe a little lyrical connection on the first one.)

Oh, also "Weird Fishes" for the entire Mirage series:

Finally, Animal Collective's "I Think I Can" evokes Turles for me, particularly Turtles Forever, as well. Maybe because they came out around the same time? And, again, I think they're a weirdly nice tonal fit:

Death in Vegas' The Contino Sessions album is my go-to reading soundtrack for Vol. 4. Particularly the track "Dirge," which has a beat almost reminiscent of the 1987 theme song, but obviously far more downbeat and strange.

Battles' Mirrored album is similarly my reading soundtrack for the early TMNT Adventures material.

Last edited by Cipher; 05-13-2014 at 03:58 PM.
Cipher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 03:59 PM   #7
electric_sheep
Banned

Has this one been posted yet? It's kinda obvious...
electric_sheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 05:15 PM   #8
Jephael
That whack job behind you

Basically any songs by Ya Kid K or similar sounding bands make me think of TMNT.

www.jephael.com
Jephael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 05:18 PM   #9
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowabungaMikey View Post
The intro.
You win
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 03:46 PM   #10
Cipher
Foot Elite

So ... no other takers or people with interesting associations for this?

This could've been a fun thread. Do other people not listen to music when they read?

Last edited by Cipher; 05-14-2014 at 08:52 PM.
Old 05-14-2014, 04:42 PM   #11
Matches Malone
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cipher View Post
Oh, man. You really asked the right question for me. Get ready for some free-associative answers. I usually read things with music, including comics, so I've ended up with some albums pretty firmly rooted in my memory as being paired with certain books.
I totally get this. I often associate early 80's punk/hardcore stuff like Misfits or Suicidal Tendencies because I know some of the Mirage guys were into it and would sneak in references, like Eric Talbot. Plus the rough gritty art totally fits with punk, though I'm probably biased. I always see interesting parallels between the origin and explosion of the independent Mirage comics and the punk music, DIY labels, distros, zines, etc going on around the same time.

However, for some reason Gin Blossoms' album "Dusted" (before they slowed all their songs down and got super famous for like, a minute) currently reminds me the most of TMNT. I think it's because it sounds so representative of that time (late 80's/early 90's) and while it has some punky roots (think Replacements "Tim" era), it's also has some cheesy sentimentality shamelessly worn on its sleeve, which Mirage has for sure. After all, life is at best bittersweet, right? So whenever I happen to be listening to this while reading some Volume 1 comics, there is some serious cognitive consonance going on.

@cipher, as an aside, Radiohead's "The Bends" will always remind me of reading Gaiman's Sandman, for most of the time period/atmospheric moodiness reasons stated above. "In Rainbows" as well to a lesser extent. "Weird Fishes" is the best song in the history of songs that are known as good, as the Kraang would say. I would add "You Forgot It In People" by Broken Social Scene as well, mostly because I was listening to that a lot when I read it the first time.

Last edited by Matches Malone; 05-14-2014 at 04:51 PM.
Matches Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 08:57 PM   #12
Cipher
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matches Malone View Post
I totally get this. I often associate early 80's punk/hardcore stuff like Misfits or Suicidal Tendencies because I know some of the Mirage guys were into it and would sneak in references, like Eric Talbot. Plus the rough gritty art totally fits with punk, though I'm probably biased. I always see interesting parallels between the origin and explosion of the independent Mirage comics and the punk music, DIY labels, distros, zines, etc going on around the same time.
I can totally see '80s punk fitting the series, especially the earlier Mirage in-house issues, which have that aesthetic all over them. I guess when I think of music to fit the Mirage comics (or with what I've listened to for them), I'm thinking more late Vol. 1 and beyond, but those are two very different tones.

In the same way as that particular era of punk fitting the early Mirage books, I also, to a lesser but more literal extent, associate early '90s hip-hop with the broader, non-Mirage TMNT franchise, which owes doubly to the way the grungy aesthetic had carried over into the movies, toyline, merchandise, etc. by the '90s, as well as, obviously, the first movie's soundtrack.
Old 05-14-2014, 08:59 PM   #13
electric_sheep
Banned

This can work, i think...
electric_sheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 01:13 PM   #14
DonatelloDomeHead31
Stone Warrior

Partners in Kryme "Turtle Power"

When I heard that song playing during the 1990 movie, I wanted to hear it more than once.

I now have it on my Ipod...and if I ever need a plot "recap" of the movie, I listen to this song.

Donatello: Pork rind.
Donatello: Yeah, a few inquiries.
Donatello: Turtles don't migrate, Raph. Birds do!
Donatello: Have you seen the way this guy drives?
Donatello: 0.00000003%!
Donatello: I don't know, but it doesn't look good...
DonatelloDomeHead31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 08:16 AM   #15
Icebot
Foot Elite

Captain Jack by Billy Joel makes me think of the episode Welcome Back Polarisoids.

Jealous Guy by John Lennon makes me think of the end of the Fred Wolf show. I heard the song on November 9, 1996 which is a week after the series finale first aired. I was walking on the beach after hearing the song so it also makes me think of the episode Shredder Triumphant.

All the Air Supply songs make me think of seasons 2 and 3 of the 4kids cartoon.
Icebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 10:56 AM   #16
Matches Malone
Stone Warrior

"True Stories" by Talking Heads always reminds me of Vol. 1 #11 ever since Eastman revealed that that issue is named after that album.
Old 05-16-2014, 01:15 PM   #17
Prowler
Emperor

No songs in particular make me think of the TMNT, other than the intro, that is.

But I can tell you that Heavy Metal and Thrash Metal songs from the 80s give me a vibe of that decade and what it was all about, as do NES games and their OSTs, especially Mega Man 2's. Naturally, one of the first things that pops into my mind when I think of the 80s are the Turtles.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 08:49 PM   #18
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Queensryche's "Walk In the Shadows" comes to mind. As well as "From Out of Nowhere" by Five Finger Death Punch, the track "Brothers in Arms" from the Halo OST, and Tom Petty's "Won't Back Down.

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 01:19 AM   #19
Pock63
Mouser

I have all of the tmnt theme songs exceot for the nick one on my ipod, does that count?
Pock63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 10:30 PM   #20
JonesyKitty
Mad Scientist

Hate to revive a dead thread for a simple question but I'd hate to start a new one more. Wondering if anyone can help find a music video that was posted on the Drome a year or two back. It was a song by a punk band titled something close to "Mother Effin Casey Jones" or something like that. The video was done almost in the style of a Troma movie and had a dude dressed as Casey beating up a bunch of thugs, saving a baby and then in the end there's a fake April news report where she calls him Cassie Jones. It was totally badass and I cannot find it for the life of me. I've searched google, youtube and the drome with no luck. Thanks for the help