The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion

Notices

Old 10-19-2021, 10:21 PM   #21
lonewarrior20
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
Yeah, Universal did do a famous version of Victor Hugo's, though I've never really considered Quasimodo a "Universal Monster." I guess that will be interesting to see.
actually igor's been a staple since the first Frankenstein movie.

"If the sun comes up tomorrow, it is only because of men of good will. That is all there is between us and the devil."
Kenny O'Donnell

https://www.deviantart.com/lonewarrior20 my fan comic/episodes of the lost season, weird ideas and my collection pics
lonewarrior20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 10:58 PM   #22
Zulithe
Ninjutsu Master

I like it, has a Playmates (at their height) vibe, and thank goodness they are a WIDE release.

So Target systems had these for 29.99 earlier, but that was a placeholder. I really don't want to pay the price BBTS is asking. Hope other retailers list them soon.
Zulithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 04:58 AM   #23
I Crave Pizza No More
Mad Scientist

I loved the original line, but I'm not sure this Raph does much for me. It's well done, but enough is enough. We're well past the point of oversaturation.
I Crave Pizza No More is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 07:20 AM   #24
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewarrior20 View Post
actually igor's been a staple since the first Frankenstein movie.
The original hunchback lab assistant was named "Fritz," right? It's been decades since I read Mary Shelley, but that was the guy in the 1931 Universal film.

Ygor/Igor was Bela Lugosi's character in Son of Frankenstein, who was sort of the main evil mastermind behind the Monster's revival. It was something of a retcon, suggesting Ygor had been around a while and knew the original Dr. Franky. And I think Lugosi's character wasn't even a traditional hunchback but had a busted neck (hence why most of the town had thought him dead).

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 07:27 AM   #25
lonewarrior20
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
The original hunchback lab assistant was named "Fritz," right? It's been decades since I read Mary Shelley, but that was the guy in the 1931 Universal film.

Ygor/Igor was Bela Lugosi's character in Son of Frankenstein, who was sort of the main evil mastermind behind the Monster's revival. It was something of a retcon, suggesting Ygor had been around a while and knew the original Dr. Franky. And I think Lugosi's character wasn't even a traditional hunchback but had a busted neck (hence why most of the town had thought him dead).
True, i'm just saying there's almost always some person with a deformity hanging around the mad scientists castle.
lonewarrior20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 07:27 AM   #26
AquaParade
Banned

I'll probably be sold on one of these, but it's not this one.

I loved the werewolf Leonardo back in the day. If they can nail that or a vampire one, I'll probably get it.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 08:30 AM   #27
Diorm
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewarrior20 View Post
True, i'm just saying there's almost always some person with a deformity hanging around the mad scientists castle.
That's just popular misknowledge (maybe because of the Young Frankenstein movie?). Fritz was only in the first movie.
It's the same as everybody calling the monster "Frankenstein".
Diorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 08:58 AM   #28
inaheap
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by italianice388 View Post
wow, always loved the original playmates tmnt x universal line. for some reason, though, the design here isn't thrilling me. i'll pass, personally.

i hope super 7 still gets to do the original playmates designs. i imagine this is the final nail in the coffin of their 'gentleman's agreement' with neca.
I like this but would also really like to see Super7 do the monster turtles. Can we get a glow-in-the-dark Mummy Raph please? I don't know if they will really care about this. It definitely is not the toy we grew up with. So not really what they are going for.

We do not stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing

When I became an adult I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.
inaheap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 09:58 AM   #29
mikey see
Mad Scientist

I dig it, but I do think a more cartoony approach would be my preference. I thought both the vintage and 2k12 figures were fantastic.

I'm still getting these though!
mikey see is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 11:46 AM   #30
Tuxedo Moroboshi
Mad Scientist

Definitely a neat idea, but I've always liked it more when the shells were inside the clothing (I think that's something I always liked about the vintage Playmates figures the most), since it just makes more sense. I know this is probably a really silly thing to get hung up about, though.

That being said, that is a pretty beautiful looking figure, nonetheless.
Tuxedo Moroboshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 11:57 AM   #31
tmntman
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by italianice388 View Post
i hope super 7 still gets to do the original playmates designs. i imagine this is the final nail in the coffin of their 'gentleman's agreement' with neca.
I wouldn't count on it. Not unless Super 7 is also willing to pay for the licensing rights to Universal. NECA was already doing licenses with Nickelodeon for the Turtles and Universal for the monsters, so I have to imagine it was far easier to then negotiate the cross over as well.

Of course, Super 7 is doing so many other lines that adding a series of Universal Monsters wouldn't be surprising in the least.

Check out my site at http://www.tmnttoys.com/
or follow me on Twitter, @TMNTtoys
tmntman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 02:28 PM   #32
italianice388
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmntman View Post
I wouldn't count on it. Not unless Super 7 is also willing to pay for the licensing rights to Universal. NECA was already doing licenses with Nickelodeon for the Turtles and Universal for the monsters, so I have to imagine it was far easier to then negotiate the cross over as well.

Of course, Super 7 is doing so many other lines that adding a series of Universal Monsters wouldn't be surprising in the least.
super 7 already has the universal monster license
italianice388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 02:35 PM   #33
italianice388
Stone Warrior

i think what's bugging me about this design, as beautifully sculpted and painted as it is, is that it doesn't feel like a ninja turtle to me. we've seen cartoon turtles, comic turtles, and movie turtles from neca so far, but this is the first turtle that just feels like a completely original neca turtle.

he doesn't have much of a nose bump (which to me is a defining characteristic of pretty much every iteration of the turtles), his mouth is pretty wide, and there's a lot of space around his eyes within the mask. that of course doesn't even take into consideration the changes that the frankenstein design requires, such as hair, huge forehead, huge eyebrow ridge, cut-up lips, etc.
italianice388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 04:40 PM   #34
Filespit
Hench Mutant

This is certainly interesting, but I'm probably gonna pass on this line. I have no interest in Universal Monsters so I see no reason to buy a figure where I only like half the thing, so to speak. Perhaps this opens the door for other crossovers though.

I am intrigued though by Neca doing their own unique take on TMNT this time around, although its not completely TMNT in this case. Would be cool to see them do their own take on actual TMNT figures instead of crossovers.
Filespit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 09:28 PM   #35
mikey0
Foot Elite

1990 Leonardo and Raph as Frankenstein: https://mobile.twitter.com/BlainerTh...72498183528450
mikey0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 04:26 AM   #36
Meow
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by inaheap View Post
Can we get a glow-in-the-dark Mummy Raph please?
That was actually my assumption when I read the thread title, but after looking into it I see there is nothing of value for me. Glow in the dark mummy raph is my fav universal monster turtles turtle. Surprisingly I also find the Leo wolfman quite impressive - and they still look like turtles, not universal monsters.
Old 10-21-2021, 07:38 AM   #37
lilmotto
Stone Warrior

Anyone order from these guys before?

https://crispcollectibles.com/produc...40400956129488

Seems to be cheapest price around for Raph Pre-Order
Old 10-21-2021, 08:31 AM   #38
tmntman
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmotto View Post
Anyone order from these guys before?

https://crispcollectibles.com/produc...40400956129488

Seems to be cheapest price around for Raph Pre-Order
Keep in mind that while this site may be $5 cheaper than BBTS, but what is the price with shipping? BBTS offers flat rate $4 shipping and everything is packaged quite well.

Check out my site at http://www.tmnttoys.com/
or follow me on Twitter, @TMNTtoys
tmntman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 09:37 AM   #39
DonnieLaForge
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Keep in mind that while this site may be $5 cheaper than BBTS, but what is the price with shipping? BBTS offers flat rate $4 shipping and everything is packaged quite well.
BBTS is my go to to lock in a pre-order but lately they are losing most of my pre-orders when I find things in stores faster (by weeks or months) than they get it in stock. They are always the last place to process NECA product it seems. But for now they have my order.

And that is ironically one of the perks to using them over others...they make it easy to cancel whatever you want whereas other places make you jump through hoops.
DonnieLaForge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 10:05 AM   #40
lilmotto
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Shipping is free if you get 2. Orders over $50 get free shipping. I had it with BBTS as well but figure I'll give this guy a shot. Ends up being a decent amount cheaper at that point. $70 for 2 shipped versus $86. That includes shipping and tax for me
lilmotto is offline   Reply With Quote