The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 09-04-2012, 11:28 PM   #61
TMNT is cooler than MOTU
Stone Warrior

Really digging these redesigns, Ross! I wouldn't be opposed to seeing something similar used for the movie.

Thank you for getting rid of Hamato Yoshi, Michael Bay and Co.! He was suuuuuper unnecessary.
TMNT is cooler than MOTU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 02:18 PM   #62
Sophie Campbell
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMNT is cooler than MOTU View Post
Really digging these redesigns, Ross! I wouldn't be opposed to seeing something similar used for the movie.
thanks so much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by n-zero View Post
I read somewhere that the character of Dr. Perry was originally supposed to be an Utrom, but that plot twist was nixed...
i read this too, it seems legit. the movie also makes way more sense if you watch it with Perry being an alien in mind. there are narrative threads that point to it, not to mention narrative closure for Donatello's crisis of faith/identity crisis which would have been buttoned up nicely, and dialogue that makes more sense with the alien element taken into account (Perry: "sometimes the best place to hide is right out in public," etc.). that was also the secret of the ooze if you think about it, because as it is now in the movie there IS no secret! they cut out the secret from the Secret Of The Ooze! XD
Sophie Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 03:14 PM   #63
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross Campbell View Post
i read this too, it seems legit. the movie also makes way more sense if you watch it with Perry being an alien in mind. there are narrative threads that point to it, not to mention narrative closure for Donatello's crisis of faith/identity crisis which would have been buttoned up nicely, and dialogue that makes more sense with the alien element taken into account (Perry: "sometimes the best place to hide is right out in public," etc.). that was also the secret of the ooze if you think about it, because as it is now in the movie there IS no secret! they cut out the secret from the Secret Of The Ooze! XD
Agreed!

I don't think it's quite fair to say "there is no secret" because you've at least got the TMNT and Splinter finding out where the Ooze came from, but I agree that such a reveal isn't quite as big a payoff as the title of the film would indicate. With the TCRI reveal out of the way early on, the film was pretty much all about Keno, Tokka, and Rahzar from that point on; i.e., more of a Monster Movie than a mystery.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 06:34 PM   #64
Sophie Campbell
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
Agreed!

I don't think it's quite fair to say "there is no secret" because you've at least got the TMNT and Splinter finding out where the Ooze came from, but I agree that such a reveal isn't quite as big a payoff as the title of the film would indicate. With the TCRI reveal out of the way early on, the film was pretty much all about Keno, Tokka, and Rahzar from that point on; i.e., more of a Monster Movie than a mystery.
yeah, that's true, but it's a pretty dull, obvious secret. it still felt like they titled the movie the Secret of the Ooze with the alien element in mind, but then during the script stage or whatever cut out the alien portion but kept the title!
Old 09-06-2012, 06:46 PM   #65
Cowabunga Carl
Mad Scientist

So are we going to see Perry as an Utrom in your version? I just think that weaving that particular tale back into the narrative could be really well done under your guidance.
Cowabunga Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 06:19 AM   #66
The Purple Dragon
Stone Warrior

i like it and i dont mind a 5 turtle i think ross is the right person to do it .but i must say i dont like it if they got colord skin color instead of the bandana. war paint is fine and a new twist i will like. but not if they got red,blue etc skin color then ross shoued go fore the old bandanas instead. that said and done i must say i cant wait fore ross to finish this i think he will pull this off and make a good book
The Purple Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 05:45 PM   #67
Sophie Campbell
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Hob View Post
So are we going to see Perry as an Utrom in your version? I just think that weaving that particular tale back into the narrative could be really well done under your guidance.
yeah, Perry will be a Utrom, but i've got my own spin on the alien angle...

is it AN Utrom, like you said? i always pronounced it like yoo-trom but seems like most people say oo-trom...? i heard Kevin Eastman say ULTrom a bunch of times so who knows. XD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzythebulldog View Post
i like it and i dont mind a 5 turtle i think ross is the right person to do it .but i must say i dont like it if they got colord skin color instead of the bandana. war paint is fine and a new twist i will like. but not if they got red,blue etc skin color then ross shoued go fore the old bandanas instead. that said and done i must say i cant wait fore ross to finish this i think he will pull this off and make a good book
thanks for the vote of confidence about the 5th Turtle! i'm going to try my best. my version of the Turtles do have natural colored-skin markings on their face, it's not war paint. i know it's a leap from the traditional masks/bandanas that have been there since day 1, but i don't think it's a huge stretch, either; mutation is weird and fraught with abnormalities and regular/real turtles do have colored markings and stripes and stuff already, like the red-eared sliders have red stripes on their heads in addition to varying shades of green, black, and yellow. so the Turtles having unusual markings like that, even in strange colors like purple and blue, seems believable enough to me given the context. maybe once you read the actual comic i can convince you!!
Old 09-09-2012, 09:32 PM   #68
Heather Breckel
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

I like the face markings quite a bit, it adds a unique spin on their design. I think I like Raph and Mike's markings best there.
Heather Breckel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 05:14 AM   #69
ToTheNines
[sic]

Quote:
is it AN Utrom, like you said? i always pronounced it like yoo-trom but seems like most people say oo-trom...? i heard Kevin Eastman say ULTrom a bunch of times so who knows. XD
Funny stuff. I used to pronounce it as uh-trum, until the 2k3 cartoon corrected me.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:21 AM   #70
FoxZerro
Stone Warrior

Quote:

Thank you for bringing up this question I have always pronounced it "yoo-trom" as well and I didn't even consider it might be the other way until I saw Utrom written with an "an" before.

Also very happy to hear that you are going to be bringing back the whole Perry is a Utrom lost storyline from the movie. I had tracked down both releases of the Comic Book adaptation of the movie, hoping that like the first Movie adaptation it would include scenes that had been omitted from the movie. I was very disappointed when this was not the case.

Perry being a Utrom makes so much sense when you consider his mannerisms, dialogue, and overall character (just that sheer delight on his face when he first meets the Turtles). I'm sure your way of incorporating it into the story will be great and even if its not how the script initially intended I'm very excited at the prospect of having that extra layer as part of the Secret of the Ooze storyline
FoxZerro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 05:39 PM   #71
The Purple Dragon
Stone Warrior

Quote:

thanks for the vote of confidence about the 5th Turtle! i'm going to try my best.

you welcome i think it will be fun to have a 5th turtle and afther wath i have read you will do a good backstory. not just throw in a 5th turtle fore the fun of it

my version of the Turtles do have natural colored-skin markings on their face, it's not war paint. i know it's a leap from the traditional masks/bandanas that have been there since day 1, but i don't think it's a huge stretch, either; mutation is weird and fraught with abnormalities and regular/real turtles do have colored markings and stripes and stuff already, like the red-eared sliders have red stripes on their heads in addition to varying shades of green, black, and yellow. so the Turtles having unusual markings like that, even in strange colors like purple and blue, seems believable enough to me given the context. maybe once you read the actual comic i can convince you!!
well whene you said it like that i guess i am sold .hehe like whene i did read about the 3 toe figures i was not that happy about it. but whene i did see the figures.i did like it and more than the old 2 toe tmnt
The Purple Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 04:41 PM   #72
natecm
Hench Mutant

The markings actually make a lot of sense. Great idea, I'm intrigued.
natecm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 11:52 PM   #73
psyrusly
Foot Soldier

Or they could be from different species of fresh water turtles, for example: Raph remained a red ear slider while Mike's a yellow bellied turtle or Don could be a painted turtle. So they'll have similar physical features with distinctive markings and skin colors, something like that, just an idea tho.
psyrusly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 02:34 AM   #74
frank_one
Mad Scientist

I don't know, I think I prefer them to be the same species.
frank_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 12:54 PM   #75
Sophie Campbell
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxZerro View Post
Perry being a Utrom makes so much sense when you consider his mannerisms, dialogue, and overall character (just that sheer delight on his face when he first meets the Turtles). I'm sure your way of incorporating it into the story will be great and even if its not how the script initially intended I'm very excited at the prospect of having that extra layer as part of the Secret of the Ooze storyline
yeah, Perry as a character makes more sense if you think of him as an alien, and the movie itself makes so much more sense thematically and narratively if he's secretly an alien. i hope i can do it justice in my fan-comic!
Old 09-12-2012, 01:03 PM   #76
Sophie Campbell
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyrusly View Post
Or they could be from different species of fresh water turtles, for example: Raph remained a red ear slider while Mike's a yellow bellied turtle or Don could be a painted turtle. So they'll have similar physical features with distinctive markings and skin colors, something like that, just an idea tho.
that's an interesting idea! especially since most pond-type turtles seem to all be similar in build and size, it could work and not miss a beat. i'll likely have the Turtles some kind of non-descript pond turtle and leave it at that, though, since the artwork isn't going to be super-realistic, it'll be like in the old Mirage comics where the baby turtles are drawn cartoony enough that their species is unclear.

in the comic i probably won't get that detailed into the Turtles' species, anyway, and also because i like the idea that the colored markings are the result of a turtle's natural stripes being amplified by the mutation process or something. i like the idea that the process can cause abnormalities; not only something like the colored markings but something like the Turtles having 3 fingers/2 toes and that sort of thing, traits that regular turtles don't have but which the mutation gives rise to.
Old 09-12-2012, 03:25 PM   #77
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
yeah, Perry as a character makes more sense if you think of him as an alien, and the movie itself makes so much more sense thematically and narratively if he's secretly an alien. i hope i can do it justice in my fan-comic!
Hey, Ross, did you read Peter Laird's ideas for the Secret of the Ooze movie a while back?
http://peterlairdstmntblog.blogspot....on-second.html
I also started a thread on it a while back.

He wanted to adapt the TCRI stuff and include Utroms, Baxter Stockman, and Mousers. A potential big twist would have been the reveal of Baxter as an Utrom! It could have been pretty awesome, and it would have set up a third movie to feature Triceratons and the Shredder's ultimate return.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 07:00 PM   #78
Sophie Campbell
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
Hey, Ross, did you read Peter Laird's ideas for the Secret of the Ooze movie a while back?
http://peterlairdstmntblog.blogspot....on-second.html
I also started a thread on it a while back.

He wanted to adapt the TCRI stuff and include Utroms, Baxter Stockman, and Mousers. A potential big twist would have been the reveal of Baxter as an Utrom! It could have been pretty awesome, and it would have set up a third movie to feature Triceratons and the Shredder's ultimate return.
i did read that! very cool. would've been a pretty sweet movie, i would've loved to see the Mousers. i wonder how they would've done them back then, maybe as puppets? and then for big movement scenes i suppose stop motion or green-screening it would work, like some of the creatures from Labyrinth.

the only thing i wasn't crazy about in Laird's note is the April/Casey/Charles love triangle idea. and i love love triangles, but i feel like people continually make April's main function to be a love interest since she's the only woman character. April and Casey together is cool, exploring their relationship as-is is interesting enough to me, it doesn't need a second guy for some "omg will he steal April away?!" baloney.

i really dig that Laird wanted to bring back Danny and have him involved. i'm still mulling over bringing him into my fan-comic but i probably won't, too many characters already. maybe a little cameo.

hopefully someday we'll get a TMNT movie with Triceratons. SIGH.
Old 09-12-2012, 09:04 PM   #79
n-zero
Foot Soldier

I've just got this image in my head now- after Dr. Perry and the Turtles part ways, Perry is in the lab with a canister of mutagen in his hands, then he glances over at a terrarium with a baby alligator in it and smiles.
n-zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 04:03 PM   #80
TurtleTitan97
Space Cowboy

Ross just posted these for the fan comic:

http://my.deviantart.com/messages/#/d5fd1p4

http://my.deviantart.com/messages/#/d5fd289

These are so awesome!

TurtleTitan97 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fan comic, fan project