The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Music

Notices

Old 01-29-2017, 09:16 AM   #1
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Is it harder to know which artists and groups are popular today?

25 years or so, it was in general easy to know which artists and groups were the most popular in popular music. There were radio charts, countries had their record charts and later also MTV. TV appearances were also important.

But today, is it so easy to know who are the most popular? People stream their music over the Internet, but it seems they discover so much and listen to so much different and anonymous artists score hit songs with home recordings (which is good), that it feels there'll be no more superstars anymore.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 10:00 AM   #2
Wesley
Mad Scientist

I'd say it is harder to know nowadays, as there is so much music out there today via streaming. The days when people could only discover new music from listening to the radio are long gone.
Wesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 10:06 AM   #3
sdp
Megan Fox = April

I think it's two things, the first you are right the days of the "superstar" are gone thanks to the internet, I wrote a little about it on my site, basically we have now more artists that are popular but none are superstars like in the past since we're not bogged down by a few tv channels or radio stations. The second is most of us are not teenagers anymore and as much as we try to know what's it, it just isn't possible as we age unless you already have teenager kids.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 12:22 PM   #4
Overlord

But where are music videos streamed over the Internet? MTV still exists, but seems to have died out, together with traditional TV in general.
Old 01-29-2017, 12:26 PM   #5
CyberCubed
Overlord

Most people have no idea who the big music artists are today, outside of the very popular pop artists like Katy Perry or Taylor Swift.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 12:39 PM   #6
Overlord

Beatles, Queen, ABBA, Donna Summer, Michael Jackson, Madonna, Whitney Houston, Roxette. Those were megastars for long-lasting period.

Last edited by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan; 01-29-2017 at 02:10 PM.
Old 01-30-2017, 04:48 PM   #7
CyberCubed
Overlord

Yep, if you asked me who the big name stars were today, I barely know any of them outside of the pop artists. And not because I listen to them, but because I see people post about them all the time online and in ads.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 04:54 PM   #8
Powder
So tired of this place

Lotta charts & numbers & stuff like that are fake anyway, so yeah, definitely tough.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 08:41 AM   #9
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
I think it's two things, the first you are right the days of the "superstar" are gone thanks to the internet, I wrote a little about it on my site, basically we have now more artists that are popular but none are superstars like in the past since we're not bogged down by a few tv channels or radio stations. The second is most of us are not teenagers anymore and as much as we try to know what's it, it just isn't possible as we age unless you already have teenager kids.
Where is that article on your website?