The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 04-05-2017, 09:26 PM   #1
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

IDW Comics Re-read

For anybody interested in discussing the IDW TMNT comics (the ongoing, one-shots, mini-series, annuals, TMNTU, everything), I'm starting a re-read of the series now and will post my notes and thoughts here. Anyone that's interested is more than welcome to join me, I look forward to reading others' thoughts on the series as a whole now that the story has had so much time to grow and evolve.

I'm finishing Infestation #2 now and that's probably all I'll read for tonight, so here are my notes so far (also I'm making a note of all of the swear words the Turtles use because I feel like they actually started to swear less as the series went on)

Spoiler:
Change is Constant:

- the Turtles all have such blank expression in this first arc

- Casey pretty much did the exact opposite of his mom's final wish. She asked him to take care of his dad and not fight with him, which probably meant something more along the lines of "don't let your father succumb to alcoholism and don't get into petty arguments with him" not "ignore your father's well-being and let him wail on you whenever he's drunk" *eyeroll* Casey never was the brightest

- there's a lot of story potential for the year+ where Raph was separated from his family. nothing really big, since most of the big plot points where still being set up, but still. we could see Raph making it on the streets and getting into brawls (because he had to have had some type of fighting experience before stepping in to save Casey from his dad). Spliner and the other Turtles were just training like mad and there's a lot of story potential there, too. and definitely with Old Hob. like, did he come up with that name himself? there's an interesting tale behind it, I'm sure

- issue #3 Mikey says "ass"

- issue #4 Hob says "hell", "damn" x3, "ass". Casey says "hell", Raph says "hell"

Enemies Old, Enemies New

- issue #5 Mikey "damn" Leo "heck" random thug "damn"

- Raph one-shot, slight inconsistency: Bebop and Rocksteady tell a Foot ninja who is implied to be the Shredder that they are ready to be mutated; however we know that B&R were mutated as part of Karai's plan, not Shredder's. No biggie though. also, Alopex is so different. what was up with those claws???

- Mikey one-shot: Brian Lynch, great writer. Kuhn's art is still in my top 3 favorites. great story and I'm glad Detective Kara reappears later in the series

- issue #6: Raph says "damn", Arnie Jones says "butt" and "ass" in the same breath... Casey says "hell", Donnie says "heck", Stockman and Hob both say "hell". haha there's a letter from CyberCubed in the Ninja Notes section

- Donnie one-shot: Donnie says "butt". RETCON: Lillja's ex-partner is referred to as a he when we later see that his partner was also his ex-lover, his special lady-friend

- Infestation 1 & 2: Mikey says "hell". Very underrated issues! Great writing and superb art. (The Infestation team-up is awesome too, very funny commentary on the diminishing-returns that come from over-using big event comic stories). The Infestation arc gives off a very strong Mike Mignola vibe, which I love, partly from the art and partly from the story dealing with giant Lovecraftian monsters. Leo "hell" Mikey "damn"
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 09:29 PM   #2
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

In fairness, Casey wasn't exactly the brightest lightbulb in the building during that time, especially while he was struggling in school, which he only got into because of his proficiency in hockey (what happened to that part of him, anyway?).
Old 04-05-2017, 09:47 PM   #3
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utrommaniac View Post
In fairness, Casey wasn't exactly the brightest lightbulb in the building during that time, especially while he was struggling in school, which he only got into because of his proficiency in hockey (what happened to that part of him, anyway?).
I think Casey has definitely suffered a fair number of concussions, from both hockey and street-fighting and getting the sh!t beat out of him by his deadbeat dad. So yeah, that's not gonna do him any favors if he ever tries to go back to school But based on what we saw in the Northampton arc, maybe he'd be better off learning a trade like auto repair? I'm sure Donnie would help him learn more
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 09:54 PM   #4
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

Raphael probably would also have not been any help to him there.
If anyone, it would probably be April (and possibly Splinter) who would be the one with sense enough to say, "Heeeey, you may have misinterpreted your mother's last request just a little bit"
Old 04-05-2017, 10:20 PM   #5
CyberCubed
Overlord

Back in 2016 or so I re-read the first 50 issues of the series (plus all the specials and micros that took place with it), because it was basically the end of the first segment of the series before issue #51.

It's really strange going back to the first year and remembering how different things were. Seeing Alopex actually work for Shredder as a assassin was the biggest one for me, I was so used to Alopex being nice and friendly with the Turtles that seeing her try to kill them in the early issues was a bit of a surprise.

Old Hob also went through a lot of character development in the series.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 06:41 PM   #6
myconius
Abby Normal

Location: the grave marked "Unknown" right beside Arch Stanton.
this is funny, i just started re-reading the series myself!

i read issues 1 through 5 of the main series, got antsy and jumped to re-reading 'Secret History of the Foot Clan'.
Old 04-08-2017, 02:30 AM   #7
CyberCubed
Overlord

Heh, I remember when the Turtles beat Shredder somewhat easily in issue #13 or whatever it was, people posted how disappointed they were about it (you can see for yourself in the original review thread for the issue). But now looking back on it I'm fine with it. After all it was an obvious homage to the Turtles beating Shredder in literally their first fight with him in Mirage #1 as well, (they even re-do Leonardo slashing his chest with his blades), and IDW's Shredder proves he's not some unbeatable fighter but not a pushover either. Krang pretty much beats the crap out of him too when they met later on.

Shredder still proved to be quite a threat when he fought them all again in Secret History of the Foot Clan, and all the fights that came after either way.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 07:25 AM   #8
myconius
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Heh, I remember when the Turtles beat Shredder somewhat easily in issue #13 or whatever it was, people posted how disappointed they were about it (you can see for yourself in the original review thread for the issue). But now looking back on it I'm fine with it. After all it was an obvious homage to the Turtles beating Shredder in literally their first fight with him in Mirage #1 as well, (they even re-do Leonardo slashing his chest with his blades), and IDW's Shredder proves he's not some unbeatable fighter but not a pushover either. Krang pretty much beats the crap out of him too when they met later on.

Shredder still proved to be quite a threat when he fought them all again in Secret History of the Foot Clan, and all the fights that came after either way.
i just fished out the issue (#12 i believe) i really enjoyed how ferocious the Turtles were fighting against Shredder, Karai and the Foot.

that fight scene was had a lot of kinetic energy and dynamism that i really enjoy when i read comics!
Dan Duncan's action sequences jumped right off the page!
the first time i originally read the issue i hadn't picked up on the call-back to the line at the end of the Leonardo micro-series, which was really cool.

when i first read the series i was thrilled that the Turtles were all back wearing red masks. couldn't help but be slightly disappointed when they adopted the multi-colored masks again.
though the way the change in masks had been done it worked very well in the story.
Old 04-17-2017, 02:36 PM   #9
Tyma
Random Punk

I think most of the short "fluff" stories printed in previews / annuals / externals at the time dealt with Raph and the time before he met his brothers? The only thing that comes to mind is the 30th Anniversary story.

At the time I was assuming / hoping that he wouldn't meet his brothers for some time, and that his world view would be heavily influenced by the things he saw and experienced, before meeting Splinter.
Tyma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 05:13 PM   #10
myconius
Abby Normal

in re-reading this series from the beginning....

i had to skip ahead and re-read #50 through #68

i then skipped through re-reading as much of the feudal Japan flashbacks as possible (Secret History of the Foot Clan, Splinter Micro-series, Turtles in Time #2)
...then re-read Tmnt #5 again.

it really feels so natural seeing Hamato Yoshi now leading the Foot Clan!!
it makes perfect sense!! Splinter has come full circle as a character in the IDW Universe.

just read the dialog Hamato Yoshi says to Oroku Saki in Tmnt #5 just after his sons are killed....

....then immediately read Splinters dialog to Leonardo at the end of Tmnt #64.

it is really amazing!!! i LOVE this incarnation of Hamato Yoshi/Splinter!

Last edited by myconius; 04-24-2017 at 05:55 PM.
myconius is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
idw