The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Video Games

Notices

Old 03-30-2020, 10:42 AM   #1
The Deadman
Foot Elite

Super Mario 35th Anniversary Games Announced

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...es-old-and-new

Nintendo Switch's first-party line-up for the rest of 2020 will be dominated by Mario games old and new, to coincide with the original Super Mario Bros.' 35th anniversary.

That's according to Eurogamer sources with knowledge of Nintendo's upcoming plans, who have corroborated a report posted by VGC.

First, the report states Nintendo will release "most of Super Mario's 35-year back catalogue this year, remastered for Nintendo Switch".

There's no detail on which games this includes, but the article includes a banner image of Mario Galaxy, perhaps intended to suggest the Wii classic as one of these games.

Eurogamer sources have indicated that Mario Galaxy is indeed one of the games being readied for a remaster, alongside a couple of other 3D Mario favourites. [UPDATE: Gematsu has now confirmed these as Mario 64 and Mario Sunshine, which Eurogamer can corroborate.]

Many earlier Mario games are already available on Switch via the console's Switch Online NES and SNES apps.

Second, the report states "several other Mario titles" will release in 2020, including a new Paper Mario.

Eurogamer sources have confirmed a new Paper Mario is in the works, along with a Deluxe version of Super Mario 3D World, which will include an array of new levels. This long-rumoured Wii U port is one of a couple of first-party games from Nintendo's previous console currently due for a new lease of life in 2020.

When contacted for this story, Nintendo gave Eurogamer its traditional response that it did not comment on rumour or speculation.

Last Movie Watched: Hell House LLC (2015).
Last TV Show Watched: Adventures of Sonic The Hedgehog (S1:E29).

Last edited by The Deadman; 09-03-2020 at 09:56 AM.
The Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 10:43 AM   #2
The Deadman
Foot Elite

If this is legit, Im gonna need a bigger SD card....

Old 03-30-2020, 10:46 AM   #3
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Hmm, I never really saw 35th as a big enough anniversary to celebrate. Once you pass 25th, seems like you're only supposed to commemorate the anniversaries that end in 0.

Of course, I'm not complaining about more Mario.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 05:00 PM   #4
Galactus
Foot Elite

If true I'd be a complete sucker for this.
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 05:19 PM   #5
neatoman
Emperor

Mario collection? One that includes most games? Let me guess:
  • Donkey Kong
  • Mario Bros
  • Super Mario Bros
  • SMB2/Lost Levels
  • SM USA/SMB2
  • SMB3
  • Land
  • Land 2
  • World
  • Sunshine
  • New Super Mario Bros
  • NSMB2
  • NSMBU
  • Galaxy
  • Galaxy 2
  • 3D Land
  • 3D world
Hahahaha!
neatoman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 10:36 PM   #6
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

I'd love to see a Mario Sunshine HD.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 07:13 AM   #7
The Deadman
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
Mario collection? One that includes most games? Let me guess:
  • Donkey Kong
  • Mario Bros
  • Super Mario Bros
  • SMB2/Lost Levels
  • SM USA/SMB2
  • SMB3
  • Land
  • Land 2
  • World
  • Sunshine
  • New Super Mario Bros
  • NSMB2
  • NSMBU
  • Galaxy
  • Galaxy 2
  • 3D Land
  • 3D world
Half of these games are on the Switch already, with the NES/SNES games on the online service and New Super Mario Bros U having a Wii U port. Theyre saying Mario 64, Sunshine, the first Galaxy and 3D World are the ones being re-released.

Old 03-31-2020, 06:21 PM   #8
Galactus
Foot Elite

^^^

People would shell out for a physical copy of the nes/snes games as a compilation.

Also at least for the 3D games they'll be given HD remasters if not a graphical overhaul and even some minor changes to the gameplay.
Old 09-03-2020, 09:55 AM   #9
The Deadman
Foot Elite

Old 09-03-2020, 10:49 AM   #10
Vegita-San
Emperor

SM64 at LEAST needs a graphical overhaul.

the controls and gameplay have not aged well.

'Wrong, April. We've Been upgraded to Women hating TROLLS'

?The force is not female, the force is not male, the force is for everyone?
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 11:25 AM   #11
CyberCubed
Overlord

Mario 64 is actually one of the oldest 3D games that still looks good to this day, must be because of how cartoony it looks.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 12:31 PM   #12
Galactus
Foot Elite

OMG, OMG, OMG

Although I kinda wish 3D All Stars did a graphical overhaul of 64 and Sunshine. Seems likely the former will still have the clunky camera and the latter will have the same problems that keep it from being a 10/10 game.

It's good to see 3D World getting a lot of love these days for a while it seemed that it's reputation was that of a lesser Mario game but it's been one of my favourites since it was first released. Looking forward to the new mode whatever it is.
Old 09-03-2020, 02:12 PM   #13
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Mario 64 is actually one of the oldest 3D games that still looks good to this day, must be because of how cartoony it looks.
Eeeeeeehhhh....

... Let's be honest here, even at the time SM64 was a weird looking game. I'm not sure why you think it still looks good when a good chunk of it looks really strange. Like what the hell is wet-dry world even meant to be? A sunken city or a bunker?
Hahahaha!
neatoman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 04:44 PM   #14
Galactus
Foot Elite

Quote:
Games with cartoon-like aesthetics generally age better than games who strive for realism. That being said the blocky-ness of Super Mario 64 is still jarring.

A graphical upgrade similar to Ocarina of Time 3D wouldn't have been too difficult.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
Eeeeeeehhhh....

... Let's be honest here, even at the time SM64 was a weird looking game. I'm not sure why you think it still looks good when a good chunk of it looks really strange. Like what the hell is wet-dry world even meant to be? A sunken city or a bunker?
It looks like a Mario level. Plus it had the cool background city which I always tried to get to when I was a kid.
Old 09-03-2020, 07:01 PM   #15
sdp
-

Nintendo's out of touchness is both their greatest weakness and strength. Here we have a barebones collection, not even Galaxy 2? jeeze. Just a few more bells and whistles would've made it better, and maybe it has them but show them.
sdp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 07:25 PM   #16
Galactus
Foot Elite

Some places are getting 3D All Stars in less than two weeks so if there was any new surprises they'd have shown us.

Yeah it's disappointing. A graphical upgrade would have been in keeping with the original All Stars which gave the NES games a 16 bit makeover. I know for me when I think of the original Super Mario Bros games I always think of the All Stars version.

While I appreciate that the original basic Sprite work for Super Mario Bros sprites have a certain retro charm I don't think many people feel the same about the polygons of Super Mario 64. They really should have done something with the graphics if nothing else.
Old 09-03-2020, 07:45 PM   #17
Turo602
The King of Kings

From what they showed, Mario Sunshine and Mario Galaxy both look great in HD. Especially Galaxy, which was already a good looking game on the Wii but just needed an HD resolution to really show off what it was selling, and well, now we got it.

The lack of Galaxy 2 is quite strange though. I always thought it was the better of the two and the fact that they even deliberately snubbed it from their Mario montage is very shady. Like they didn't want to remind anyone about it so they wouldn't question its absence in the collection.

They honestly could have gotten away with selling both Galaxy games in a separate collection, but I really can't see them trying to release Galaxy 2 by itself at full price or even at a discounted one. At this point, the only way they could implement it is through DLC. I doubt this game will be limited forever, so I can definitely see something along the lines of "we brought the game back due to popular demand and also, Galaxy 2 is now available as DLC" just to score them bonus points with us later and give the game that second wind.
Old 09-03-2020, 07:53 PM   #18
CyberCubed
Overlord

The reason this is a limited run is they're probably going to sell all the games seperately later. Galaxy 2 will probably come out later.

Mario 3D Land is still a 3DS exclusive though, it's probably not going to have its levels brought over to 3D World.
Old 09-03-2020, 08:26 PM   #19
sdp
-

Quote:
The reason this is a limited run is they're probably going to sell all the games seperately later. Galaxy 2 will probably come out later.

Mario 3D Land is still a 3DS exclusive though, it's probably not going to have its levels brought over to 3D World.
That's what I'm thinking, N64 Switch Online will include Mario 64 and they'll sell Wii and Gamecube games for $30 a pop. There's no other reason to not include it in the collection or make this limited time. Also explains why they didn't do much of anything to make it special

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactus View Post
While I appreciate that the original basic Sprite work for Super Mario Bros sprites have a certain retro charm I don't think many people feel the same about the polygons of Super Mario 64. They really should have done something with the graphics if nothing else.
I think they should've done something with the graphics, look at what the PC port of Mario 64 has done as a fan project or even Mario 64 DS. But I do love the blocky N64 graphics, they have a certain charm as well but I can play those in an emulator for a release like this I would want a better version even if in the end it's "inferior" to the original.
sdp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 04:04 PM   #20
CyberCubed
Overlord

Yeah, no way are they going to not HD all past mario games.