The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 06-13-2018, 08:36 PM   #481
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
I know, right? Well, to be fair, the name Semour was already taken by Mutagen Man, so.... but they could have at least referred to it as Audry, one would think.

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 09:15 AM   #482
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

When will these guys be able to be given the same kind of respect that other hero characters get... Makes me sad for them that they don't.

Being as how I work for a card company now and have started this job while the graduation and Father's Day cards are stocked (plus certain birthday cards), I've seen a bunch of really awesome Batman, Superman, Captain America, and even one Hulk, themed cards. Cool ones for adults.

What, the Turtles can't get that kind of respect because they aren't human? They're human enough. >.> They can do serious.

A couple examples of those I've seen in person, there are a number of others for adults and even more I've seen online while just now looking for those I've seen in person.

Captain America seems to be common right now (this one is for Father's Day but I've seen Grad cards too), and okay there's a recent film so I guess it's with good reason, but still.

The Batman one is a birthday card I really like. (Just simply says "Do it justice" on the inside.) The Turtles could very easily (and we all know they very well have) pull off a cool, dignified silhouette image and other awesome artwork...

Give me a card kinda like that Batman one (maybe less distance) but make it Leo up there looking all regal looking out over the city...I'd end up framing it. Dammit I want this for my boy and his bros.

We seriously need some good TMNT minded artists who can do that sort of thing among the designers for these card companies! I wish some of those with the talent and skills would consider that avenue for their artwork as well. Cards might be expensive but I'd end up with a whole new thing to collect. lol
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 10:06 AM   #483
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfan View Post
Now PD had PG13 but for some reason I think people tend to still see it as 'kids only' do they? (non turtle fans I mean) or am I wrong?
Yeah, there's still a pretty strong sigma against them.

It's a major shame that these last films were not handled more seriously. If they had had the level of writing and producing that garnered them a whole series of films it could very well have helped people, outside the basic fandom, take them more seriously.

2016 did so much better on the interactions of the brothers and family drama among them, upping the relatableness by a lot, giving people more reason and opportunity to care about them this time, but then tanked the whole film with weak, anticlimactic storytelling and trying to add in a touch of unnecessary goofiness inspired by the first cartoon (though I'm glad it was limited and not all of them were even involved in that aspect).

I mean...just play them off as a bunch of misfit brothers and accidental heroes that just happen to be mutants. They don't really have to focus on the fact that they're Turtles... they just are. No more than the details of "Rise" should be focusing on the fact that the new April is black... she just is. Let characters be green, black or what have you without having to point at it and make a spectacle of it to make sure that we know.

If they don't have to point it out SO MUCH -- yes, yes, we KNOW they're Turtles, everyone knows -- then maybe people could start to get over the sigma that they're just "talking animals" and therefor a "kid's thing." I mean... it's the Turtles, they can do serious. We know they can. It's not like we're asking someone to turn, say, Roger Rabbit serious. It shouldn't be that hard.

2016 at the very least allowed them to be PEOPLE enough that my mom ended up deciding she has a favorite Turtle now. Too bad the film makers screwed the chances to go further.
Old 06-16-2018, 10:15 AM   #484
newfan
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
Yeah, there's still a pretty strong sigma

2016 at the very least allowed them to be PEOPLE enough that my mom ended up deciding she has a favorite Turtle now. Too bad the film makers screwed the chances to go further.
Yeah, I'd deleted my prev post as I wasn't sure I was right in what I was saying but yes with PG13 movies there's that chance to grab that 'all ages' recognition that the superhero movies get.

so who's your mom's fav? just curious?
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 10:26 AM   #485
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Oops, sorry. I take way too long in writing my posts. lol Didn't realized you deleted it.

Mikey is her fave. As of 2016; we saw both films but 2014 didn't hold enough appeal to choose. (His design tweaks probably also helped.) The funny little brother, and then pulling at the heartstrings at one point...I probably should have been able to guess it would be him.
Old 06-16-2018, 10:36 AM   #486
newfan
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
Oops, sorry. I take way too long in writing my posts. lol Didn't realized you deleted it.

Mikey is her fave. As of 2016; we saw both films but 2014 didn't hold enough appeal to choose. (His design tweaks probably also helped.) The funny little brother, and then pulling at the heartstrings at one point...I probably should have been able to guess it would be him.
It's strange, I mentioned this in conversation the other day I liked his face the least out of all of them, even though it wasn't like overly done or anything, just the face itself, for some reason I didn't like it.

Last edited by newfan; 06-16-2018 at 11:02 AM.
Old 06-16-2018, 11:20 AM   #487
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

It's basically all the same mindset that makes parents think Watership Down is an appropriate movie to babysit show their kids on Easter unattended. Or at least related to it if "the same" is too much of a broad stroke.

I would think about giving the turtles a Guardians of the Galaxy treatment that leans more on the Rocket Raccoon side of the story. To put it on a MCU perspective.
Old 06-16-2018, 11:46 AM   #488
neatoman
Emperor

I wonder what Peter Laird was thinking when he drew that initial sketch of the Mutagen Man? Between this and the 4Kids version of Baxter, did he just have a thing for organs in glass tubes?
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 04:04 PM   #489
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfan View Post
It's strange, I mentioned this in conversation the other day I liked his face the least out of all of them, even though it wasn't like overly done or anything, just the face itself, for some reason I didn't like it.
Yeah, he's last on the list for me too, but too each their own I guess. Maybe it's just personality for the most part, but at least he comparatively looks a little better in the second than the first. The first one... egads. (Although I quite enjoyed all the "it's just a mask" parody videos. )

Was roaming around looking for weird bootlegs and whatnot for the heck of it and saw...this giant inflatable Mikey.

I'm disappointed that they don't make all four. Putting a 2+ story tall Turtle in your yard just isn't the same without the whole set.

Last edited by IndigoErth; 06-16-2018 at 07:45 PM.
Old 06-18-2018, 12:17 PM   #490
Papenbrook
*The King of Nothing*

Unpopular Opinion:
I hope Joss Whedon never, EVER works on any TMNT-related property. He would just make it too humor-orientated. He would also try to add in misogynistic/sexist elements that reinforce gender stereotypes.

No. Just ... no. Stay away, Joss.

Last edited by Papenbrook; 06-18-2018 at 12:25 PM.
Papenbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 05:30 PM   #491
Powder
So tired of this place

Further unpopular opinion (I think?):

It's too humor oriented already.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 06:09 PM   #492
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Not so unpopular I don't think... Leave the Turtle comedy to cartoons, film needs to be more serious for the most part and they deserve films that take them seriously. Not that there can't be anything funny, but leave any funny moments to just light things among the brothers where it feels natural. Serious professional badasses on the job, and in some moments, silly, lovable brothers at home. Let them by funny there. At home.

I've seen enough of Raph's tongue in an effort for comedy. Thanks Oots. *cringe*

Quote via Lion King 2 (which I've come across on tv a couple times lately):

TIMON: We thought a nice pelt for the den, some throw pillows...

Me:...a tv news reporter...

Just me?
Old 06-18-2018, 06:37 PM   #493
Prowler
Emperor

Is it just me or does NYC seem to be kind of a ghost town in the 2k3 series, especially at night?
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 10:29 PM   #494
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
No, it really kind of was. And this is the "city that never sleeps".....

This is really something that needs to be touched on more often, even in the cartoons. They are literally surrounded by people at all times, unless safely hidden at home. They are always in danger of being seen and therefore hunted down. So why do we almost never see the "close calls" or inevitable encounters?

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 11:09 PM   #495
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie View Post
No, it really kind of was. And this is the "city that never sleeps".....

This is really something that needs to be touched on more often, even in the cartoons. They are literally surrounded by people at all times, unless safely hidden at home. They are always in danger of being seen and therefore hunted down. So why do we almost never see the "close calls" or inevitable encounters?
I mean, I get it that their closest manhole lead to a residential area, and those don't tend to have a lot of movement at night, but they hopped on buildings across the whole city and rarely saw people. Where is NYC's nightlife, man?
Old 06-18-2018, 11:09 PM   #496
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

It usually is on a regular basis, except in the live action as far as am aware.

Which makes me wonder what the point is, other than being in an iconic location.
Old 06-18-2018, 11:14 PM   #497
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utrommaniac View Post
It usually is on a regular basis, except in the live action as far as am aware.

Which makes me wonder what the point is, other than being in an iconic location.
Yeah. They're always afraid of getting caught but the streets often are empty. Well in the FW series NYC wasn't a ghost town at all, tbh and the Turtles mostly went outside in broad daylight.

Well it's easier for bad guys to pop out and to hide in a large city. Also, how can bad guys take over the world or something if the setting was a rural area or a small village? Makes more sense for them to live in NYC or other city as big as that one.

Were either Eastman or Laird from NYC? Why that city and not Los Angeles or Chicago? Would the property make less money if it was set in that city? Or also, why not a fictional city instead like in Batman?
Old 06-18-2018, 11:21 PM   #498
newfan
Mad Scientist

Yeah I mean as discussed before, the turtles really would have a hard time not being seen however so far as the ghost town, I think someone previously mentioned the animation cost of extra people? Also, imagine eps being taken up with them constantly dodging people?

Last edited by newfan; 06-18-2018 at 11:28 PM.
Old 06-18-2018, 11:24 PM   #499
Prowler
Emperor

Occasionally they run into some humans and I wonder if they ever tell anyone they saw talking turtles. Like those cops who looked like Eastman and Laird in the first episode of the 2k3 series. That was a big risk the Turtles ran. Those cops could have attempted to chase them or investigate them.
Old 06-18-2018, 11:26 PM   #500
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

LA makes way more sense with Silicon Valley in mind; it would be a more ideal location for TCRI and Stockgen.

I could see the Bad Guys working in isolation. Heck, Krang was operating out of a freaking tiny spit of an island far from civilization and only visited New York to drag Stockman to said island.

And, if we want to be pedantic with following ninja culture accurately...even the bad guys totally would be operating far from any major cities.