The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Nick TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

View Poll Results: Which one do you prefer?
Northampton Arc 19 40.43%
Space Arc 28 59.57%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-26-2017, 07:43 PM   #21
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Neither though I guess you can count Transdimensional Turtles as part of the space arc... then space arc.

I get the horror parody thing with Northampton, but making EVERY. SINGLE. EPISODE like that was stupid and monotonous.
Both arcs dragged on larger than they should.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 08:39 PM   #22
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
I get the horror parody thing with Northampton, but making EVERY. SINGLE. EPISODE like that was stupid and monotonous.
Both arcs dragged on larger than they should.
It wasn't every single episode. The Bigfoot ep, Punk Frogs, giant bird, the training ep with the visions of the villains, and the one with the car weren't horror oriented.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 08:51 PM   #23
GoldMutant
Control Your Narrative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
It wasn't every single episode. The Bigfoot ep, Punk Frogs, giant bird, the training ep with the visions of the villains, and the one with the car weren't horror oriented.
You both are right and also are wrong. The car one, Race with the Demon has a premise similar to that of the horror movie/book Christine with the name similar to Race with the Devil.

The giant bird, Eyes of the Chimera, resembles the monster called The Giant Claw and can appear as a total monster depending on what a chimera is made of in mythology.

The Bigfoot episode, Foot Too Big, wasn't horror but did have a reference with Finger talking to his dead mother like Norman Bates from Psycho.

Vision Quest and The Croaking weren't horror at all to my knowledge.

That's still a majority of episodes with horror elements with five in total, but four of the eight which were full on tributes (Within the Woods, Buried Secrets, In Dreams, and Race with the Demon) and the other four either had a reference depending on mileage (Eyes of the Chimera) or did not (the remaining three episodes).

It's not every episode Coola, but Cubed it's still a half to a majority.
Old 02-26-2017, 08:55 PM   #24
CyberCubed
Overlord

Well the arc overall was definitely horror themed of course, but not every episode was horror.

The space arc was all sci-fi, for the obvious reason that they were in space.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 08:59 PM   #25
GoldMutant
Control Your Narrative

Quote:
Well the arc overall was definitely horror themed of course, but not every episode was horror.
Still, it's a large percentage and can turn some people off. Then again, I am more of a horror enthusiast than a sci-fi nut.
Old 03-04-2017, 10:38 AM   #26
Turtle-X
Foot Soldier

Northampton was an absolute waste of time. The series slowed down to an absolute crawl.
Turtle-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 02:13 PM   #27
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldMutant View Post
You both are right and also are wrong. The car one, Race with the Demon has a premise similar to that of the horror movie/book Christine with the name similar to Race with the Devil.

The giant bird, Eyes of the Chimera, resembles the monster called The Giant Claw and can appear as a total monster depending on what a chimera is made of in mythology.

The Bigfoot episode, Foot Too Big, wasn't horror but did have a reference with Finger talking to his dead mother like Norman Bates from Psycho.

Vision Quest and The Croaking weren't horror at all to my knowledge.

That's still a majority of episodes with horror elements with five in total, but four of the eight which were full on tributes (Within the Woods, Buried Secrets, In Dreams, and Race with the Demon) and the other four either had a reference depending on mileage (Eyes of the Chimera) or did not (the remaining three episodes).

It's not every episode Coola, but Cubed it's still a half to a majority.
I don't count vision quest. For me that's the 'they finally stopped all the horror **** and are finally moving on with the story' episode. It does have too much of a horror theme in one way or another. The April mom episode was a reference to The Thing and even though the frogs wasn't exactly horror the title itself is still a Shining parody.

Horror is fine and all, but not back to back to back. The Northampton arc felt more like the horror in the woods arc which ruined the point. Imagine a season where half was back to back time travel or back to back 80s crossover or back to back 'Mikey does something stupid and must fix it' episodes.

All those kinds of episodes work and can add variety to the show but not if they're done 5 episodes or so in a row.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 09:18 PM   #28
Shellington
Foot Soldier

Northampton for the Dream Beavers.
"And we're teenagers." Mikey, the Teenager
Shellington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 06:59 PM   #29
billbot85
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellington View Post
Northampton for the Dream Beavers.
This. Plus I loved all of the horror movie references as well the references to the Mirage comic and 1990 film.

Nevertheless, I really loved the space arc as well.

GIFSoup
billbot85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 03:03 AM   #30
neatoman
Emperor

Let's see here...

Northampton, eight episodes.
Upsides: Homages to Elm Street, Friday 13 and Big Daddy Roth. Spirit World episode (even if done in a cheap way), flleshing out April's powers and origin.
Downsides: Punk Frogs episode kinda sucked and A Foot Too Big might be the worst episode in the entire show.

Space, 14 episodes (really? Over half the season?)
Upsides: David Tennant as the Fugitoid, Triceraton Gladiators, Full retcon of the Kraang.
Downsides: Wasting time on another damn asset recycle episode, David Wise levels of shameless writing on one episode, pointless inferior remake of Turtles Forever, nonsensical set-up, forcing drama based around Splinter we knew was going to be rendered pointless and a lot of it feels like filler (14 episodes on this? I mean really?).

So yeah, there are positives to both and both kind of overstay their welcome but one is signifigantly longer, leads in from nonsense, is full of nonsense and leads to nonsense. Northampton is better.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 03:15 AM   #31
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Quote:
All the space eps were good except for the one they delved into Mikey's mind which was just meh.
Even the "Weird World of Wyrm" sucked. The rest were either OK or great.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 06:11 AM   #32
BubblyShell22
Leo-holic

Northampton for me because I really enjoyed it and how some of the episodes focused on Leo too. Space arc wasn't too bad for me and I prefer it over 2K3's handling of it myself, but I voted for Northampton.

"Embrace your inner a**holiness."-Mr. Anderson.
BubblyShell22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 06:45 AM   #33
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubblyShell22 View Post
Space arc wasn't too bad for me and I prefer it over 2K3's handling of it myself.
That space arc was too short. The turtles could've visited some more planets, but I guess the writers wanted it to stay closer to the Mirage Comics as the series in general was intended for.
Old 05-29-2017, 09:56 AM   #34
Danetello
Stone Warrior

The Northampton arc was terrible, for me at least. I was disappointed with the "Punk" Frogs, and the mutant car thing was utterly atrocious. That car episode alone killed the entire arc for me, and is by far the worst episode of TMNT 2012, and up there as being one of the worst of any series.

Danetello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 03:35 PM   #35
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danetello View Post
The Northampton arc was terrible, for me at least. I was disappointed with the "Punk" Frogs, and the mutant car thing was utterly atrocious. That car episode alone killed the entire arc for me, and is by far the worst episode of TMNT 2012, and up there as being one of the worst of any series.
The one with a Kraang spacecraft found beneath the farmhouse was at least among the better. But I always waited for the turtles returning, and once they did, "Return to New York" became great.
Old 05-29-2017, 06:19 PM   #36
DestronMirage22
Yukipedia

I thought both were horrible.
DestronMirage22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 02:25 AM   #37
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DestronMirage22 View Post
I thought both were horrible.
Like straight up horrible? Not just overstaying their welcome or having a few bad episodes in them?
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 02:54 AM   #38
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

I voted the Space Arc but its largely due to specific episodes like TransDimensional Turtles and the Area of Carnage although I prefer the setting of the Northampton Arc and would choose Horror over Sci-Fi anyday.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 08:11 AM   #39
DestronMirage22
Yukipedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
Like straight up horrible? Not just overstaying their welcome or having a few bad episodes in them?
Yeah, straight up horrible.
DestronMirage22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 08:19 AM   #40
Overlord

Riddle of the Ancient Aeons

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
I voted the Space Arc but its largely due to specific episodes like TransDimensional Turtles and the Area of Carnage although I prefer the setting of the Northampton Arc and would choose Horror over Sci-Fi anyday.
If you like both mystic and science fiction, why not "Riddle of the Ancient Aeons"?