The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 12-08-2018, 08:22 AM   #41
RaphaelinSTL
Mad Scientist

Personally, I'm more interested in this than Aquabro and I hope that this ends up doing pretty good business over DC ... but I guess we'll see how it plays out.
Old 12-08-2018, 10:26 PM   #42
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Everyone who has gone to these early screenings are saying this is the best live action transformers movie to date.
Old 12-09-2018, 05:27 PM   #44
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Live stream from the World Premiere.

Old 12-20-2018, 10:52 AM   #45
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Just got back from Bumblebee. Very entertained, it's a breezy heartfelt story, the G1 nods don't dominate the entire film, and those first few minutes on Cybetron are great. Cena's acting is kind of atrocious but in a fun way, the playlist weirded me out a bit because I've used some of the same songs in music videos lately. Maybe God has my playlist or something.

Spoiler:
About the only negatives I would give it is the plot progression completely depends on Bumblebee being dumb enough to explore/wreck the house, as the jolt he gets from the appliances sparks off an energon jolt that lures Cena and the triple changers to the neighbourhood. The other is when the girl's step-dad creates a distraction with his own car. It's very much a kids flick so the resulting traffic skirmish ends with noone being killed and all the cars narrowly avoid hitting each other, this is followed by the only real bit of bathroom humour as the little brother throws up

Thee's not that much of a body count in it, the two Decepticons, Cliffjumper, a redneck, and the military Professor. The humans are liquidated by the Decepticon weapons . Cliffjumper is skewered in half.
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 07:50 AM   #46
RaphaelinSTL
Mad Scientist

Didn't have any free time to see it this weekend, but hoping to catch it next weekend to give it a little more legs box office wise. Glad to see reports that are saying it may continue to do well over the next few weeks.
Old 12-24-2018, 09:27 AM   #47
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Do we get anything about why the main character wouldn't still be the main character in, say, any of the main Transformers movies?
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 09:35 AM   #48
Leo656
The Franchise

Based on what I was reading about it, the ending generally reboots the whole thing. Everything strongly contradicts what was explained in the original movies, without much explanation that could link them.

Spoiler:
Apparently all the Cybertron stuff is completely different, and no mention whatsoever of the All Spark. And everyone has G1-inspired designs instead of the Bay ones. And the story about When and Why the Autobots came to Earth is completely different than what the earlier movies explained.

I'm guessing it's just a brand new continuity going forward. Which is a good idea, and one that could've gotten me excited.

However, this new Transformers/G.I. Joe/M.A.S.K. (really? ) shared universe is supposedly going to revolve around John Cena's character, so... yeah, I'm out. I don't watch that joker for free, ain't no way I'm paying to watch him.

Too bad. Could'a had me. Ah well.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 09:37 AM   #49
ranger_scout
Foot Elite

Honestly, why couldn't Paramount have gotten the team for Bumblebee to do the Transformers films from the start? This was actually a very good film. The script was well-written; I liked the human characters; and the backstory of Bumblebee was interesting. I wouldn't lose a wink of sleep if I never saw the second through fifth movies again, but I would gladly go back and see this in theaters if I find the time.
ranger_scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 09:43 AM   #50
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger_scout View Post
Honestly, why couldn't Paramount have gotten the team for Bumblebee to do the Transformers films from the start?
Well, I can't speak to that directly, but I do have quite a few entertainment magazines from back then in which everyone states the general consensus that Bay was, supposedly, the only one who could possibly do the concept any justice, given his special effects-heavy films and action movie experience. Any concerns about plot or characters was dismissed with the notion that "It's just a silly toy movie anyway, all the Big Action will surely compensate for any shortcomings in the script."

If only we knew. But yeah, short answer being "Back then everybody really wanted Bay to do it, except the hardcore toy fans, who nobody listens to because they're nerds."

Old 12-24-2018, 09:49 AM   #51
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
I'm guessing it's just a brand new continuity going forward. Which is a good idea, and one that could've gotten me excited.
We already know that's not the case.

Quote:
However, this new Transformers/G.I. Joe/M.A.S.K. (really? ) shared universe is supposedly going to revolve around John Cena's character
Is this for real? So what, they're going to keep all subsequent Transformers/GI Joe/MASK movies in the 80s? Because if they return to "now" then Cena would need to play 40 years older.
Old 12-24-2018, 09:56 AM   #52
Leo656
The Franchise

I don't think anyone working on these is gonna pay the same kind of attention as you or I. They might try and keep things "loosely" connected to the originals but I doubt they'll ever be directly referenced again.

As far as Cena's character's age, nobody cared how badly MacAvoy's Professor X screwed up that series's timeline, by appearing the exact same age decades apart, so I doubt anyone will care here, either. Give Cena a pair of glasses in the "present day" films, and he's magically decades older! Easy.

I mean, I don't KNOW they're gonna revolve everything around him, but that was the rumor as of a few days ago, that he's gonna be the main cog in this big government agency that runs through the TF/G.I. Joe/M.A.S.K. universe, like Nick Fury I guess. There's strong evidence to that, such as, him saying he's definitely going to be too busy with movies to ever wrestle full-time again, the fact that this movie's getting good buzz, and that he's one of the things people are praising the most.

He's insanely popular, so putting aside the fact that I can't sand the guy, if I were running this ship I'd put him front-and-center, too.

Old 12-24-2018, 10:58 AM   #53
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
However, this new Transformers/G.I. Joe/M.A.S.K. (really? ) shared universe is supposedly going to revolve around John Cena's character, so...
It won't revolve around Cena, only future Bumblebee/transformers movies if this spin-off does well.

I doubt M.A.S.K. will ever come out unless their cinematic universe actually gets set up. GI Joe will likely have another chance to shine but most importantly the biggest piece after Transformers they'll use to build their shared universe will be Power Rangers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
We already know that's not the case.

Is this for real? So what, they're going to keep all subsequent Transformers/GI Joe/MASK movies in the 80s? Because if they return to "now" then Cena would need to play 40 years older.
They're playing it loose in continuity so it can be a reboot but at the same time a prequel depending on how the film does. If it bombs then some of those changes are retcons if it does well then it's a reboot. Similar to Hulk/The Incredible Hulk, it had contradictions but it worked as a loose sequel but once the MCU was established of course it was never in continuity. They're likely deciding themselves right now on how they want to approach it
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 11:02 AM   #54
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
It won't revolve around Cena, only future Bumblebee/transformers movies if this spin-off does well.

I doubt M.A.S.K. will ever come out unless their cinematic universe actually gets set up. GI Joe will likely have another chance to shine but most importantly the biggest piece after Transformers they'll use to build their shared universe will be Power Rangers.

They're playing it loose in continuity so it can be a reboot but at the same time a prequel depending on how the film does. If it bombs then some of those changes are retcons if it does well then it's a reboot. Similar to Hulk/The Incredible Hulk, it had contradictions but it worked as a loose sequel but once the MCU was established of course it was never in continuity. They're likely deciding themselves right now on how they want to approach it
Well they are planning on rebooting Transformers after Bumblebee. And it managed to make the Top 3 at the box office placing 3rd. I don't know how the studio would see these results. But whatever the case. The whole Transformers franchise is up for a reboot.

Bumblebee could have placed 1st if it wasn't going up against Mary Poppins Returns and Aquaman. This weeks releases was crowded.
Old 12-24-2018, 11:14 AM   #55
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Bumblebee so far has taken $21 million, making it one of the weaker openings in the history of the TF movie franchise.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottme.../#6c385ef32dbe
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 11:16 AM   #56
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
Bumblebee so far has taken $21 million, making it one of the weaker openings in the history of the TF movie franchise.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottme.../#6c385ef32dbe
That movie could've done better. If it didn't open at the same time with Aquaman and Mary Poppins. Its a risky move.
Old 12-24-2018, 11:16 AM   #57
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Yeah, yikes. It may have had half the budget of the last Transformers movie... but it also opened at literally half of the box office.
Old 12-24-2018, 11:17 AM   #58
sdp
Megan Fox = April

If they really wanted a reboot the Gen1 aesthetics were not going to be enough, they needed to give people time to breath, they could've still released movies and make money off the franchise but doing something entirely different with Beast Wars, it's what they did in the 90s to revitalize the franchise and it worked.

sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 11:52 AM   #59
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
If they really wanted a reboot
But they didn't. And given it's simultaneous pre-production next to The Last Knight, they didn't even know The Last Knight was going to be a flop yet.

If Bumblee bombs, following The Last Knight's bombing, though... that might be all she wrote for Transformers movies for a good while.
Old 12-26-2018, 02:57 PM   #60
AquaParade
Banned

I'm glad most people enjoyed this so much. I found it disappointing, overall.
It definitely feels less "slimy" than the previous Transformers, if that makes sense. It actually feels like a genuine, humanized film, but I still found the script to be pretty weak.

Hailee Steinfeld sure is charming though. I thought she did a great job with the script she was given. Generally, all the characters are likeable.

So I'd definitely say this film has its merits, but it didn't *speak* to me. I found myself wishing I had seen Spider-Verse again, about 20 minutes in, and that feeling never went away.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
youcantseebee