The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 10-27-2012, 10:44 AM   #1201
The Fifth Turtle
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich View Post
That depends. You can get this book pretty cheap and in decent condition if you're willing to hunt around at second-hand book stores and flea markets.

Those that know the first printing contains the "Insanity" section listing sexual deviations that was later taken out in future printings will charge much more (I've seen upwards of $100 in comic shops). However, those that don't know this typically put it up for under $10.
Awesome thanks for the info!
The Fifth Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 11:03 AM   #1202
rich
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaMan View Post
Insanity section? First I've heard of this. Why was that in there?
This was a book for the TMNT role playing game (like D&D) and it was in the early days of the TMNT which was more adult-oriented than the Turtles are today.

On page 16 in the 1st through 4th printings there's an "Insanity" section (left hand side) that lists a bunch of crazy stuff for sexual deviations.

Due to rising popularity of the TMNT among younger fans, by the 5th printing -1987- Palladium covered this list with a white sticker.

In the 6th printing -1988- that section was removed altogether.

rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 07:28 PM   #1203
NinjaMan
Mad Scientist

Quote:
This was a book for the TMNT role playing game (like D&D) and it was in the early days of the TMNT which was more adult-oriented than the Turtles are today.

On page 16 in the 1st through 4th printings there's an "Insanity" section (left hand side) that lists a bunch of crazy stuff for sexual deviations.

Due to rising popularity of the TMNT among younger fans, by the 5th printing -1987- Palladium covered this list with a white sticker.

In the 6th printing -1988- that section was removed altogether.
Thanks for the info, never heard of any this before.
NinjaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 10:35 AM   #1204
frank_one
Mad Scientist

Why is Leonardo always said to be a master of the Katana while being drawn holding a Ninjatō? We see him with Katanas only in the very first issues of vol. 1.
frank_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 04:16 PM   #1205
The Fifth Turtle
Mad Scientist

Whats the deal w/ the flyer in this auction for a first printing:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/140877113068...84.m1423.l2649

Did it really accompany the first issue like the seller describes? I have a 1st printing myself and was wondering what the deal is.
Old 10-30-2012, 05:22 PM   #1206
rich
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fifth Turtle View Post
Whats the deal w/ the flyer in this auction for a first printing:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/140877113068...84.m1423.l2649

Did it really accompany the first issue like the seller describes? I have a 1st printing myself and was wondering what the deal is.
Interesting...that's the first I've heard of such a flyer. Subsequent printings of #1 had the Gobbledygook ad on the back page replaced by the iron-on ad but I've never seen the full page ad "insert" before.

Old 10-30-2012, 05:29 PM   #1207
Coro
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Interesting...that's the first I've heard of such a flyer. Subsequent printings of #1 had the Gobbledygook ad on the back page replaced by the iron-on ad but I've never seen the full page ad "insert" before.
Is this an auction of a legit 1st print? Seems to be in too good of condition.
Coro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 05:31 PM   #1208
rich
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coro View Post
Is this an auction of a legit 1st print? Seems to be in too good of condition.
Sure looks to be legit...has the Gobbledygook ad on the inside back cover and the back cover looks very black. The inside pages look a bit yellowed though.

Old 10-30-2012, 07:25 PM   #1209
Venom
Space Knight

Quote:
Sure looks to be legit...has the Gobbledygook ad on the inside back cover and the back cover looks very black. The inside pages look a bit yellowed though.
Oh my GOD I wish someone loved me enough to help me get that thing! That and a 2nd print is ALL I need to complete my Volume 1 collection (excluding Turtlemania silver/gold, of course)
Old 10-30-2012, 07:57 PM   #1210
Coro
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Saw all those things...the address on the inside cover the text inside cover and the gobbledygook stuff, but it seemed too good to be true since the auction was at a $71 mark. I know it will go up but thought this might be in too good of a condition
Old 10-30-2012, 07:59 PM   #1211
Roseangelo
Emperor

Quote:
Saw all those things...the address on the inside cover the text inside cover and the gobbledygook stuff, but it seemed too good to be true since the auction was at a $71 mark. I know it will go up but thought this might be in too good of a condition
It's got 6 days left. It's going to go up A LOT. And all the really serious bids will be on the last day.
Roseangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 08:12 PM   #1212
Coro
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roseangelo View Post
It's got 6 days left. It's going to go up A LOT. And all the really serious bids will be on the last day.
I have it on my watch list and I am willing to throw a serious bid at it, but I have a number that I am willing to go and something tells me it will go over that. Its already up to 202.50 and thats all of 30 minutes after I said it was at 70.

Out of curiosity what would a good price be for this thing? I see some fair markets placing it as low as 600 and as high as 10k. That's a huge difference.
Old 10-30-2012, 09:47 PM   #1213
rich
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Out of curiosity what would a good price be for this thing? I see some fair markets placing it as low as 600 and as high as 10k. That's a huge difference.
Well, now is not a great time to be buying because the TMNT are a hot commodity with the new cartoon, figures, comics, etc. Recent sales for #1 1st and 2nd printings have been WAY up from what they were just a year ago.

Looking at the pictures I'd say this would grade somewhere between 6.0 and 7.0. A slabbed 5.5 just sold recently for $1,500 and a 7.5 for $2,300. If you factor in this flyer that no one has seen before...I'd be surprised to see this go for less than $2,500.

Old 10-31-2012, 05:41 AM   #1214
The Fifth Turtle
Mad Scientist

I kind of have a feeling the flyer was handed out at a convention or something. The person who owns/owned the comic (obviously a fan) grabbed and held on to the flyer. I kind of doubt this was actually inserted into the comic itself.....but who knows? Perhaps this was inserted into the last couple of 1st printings that remained in stock so that they could advertise for the iron ons that were (at the time) first being offered.
Old 10-31-2012, 09:44 AM   #1215
frank_one
Mad Scientist

I've always seen those iron ons ads in the comics and I was thinking.. did someone actually buy some back then?? Never seen a picture of the actual item.

Last edited by frank_one; 10-31-2012 at 12:27 PM.
Old 10-31-2012, 10:52 AM   #1216
rich
Mad Scientist

Quote:
I kind of have a feeling the flyer was handed out at a convention or something.
That was my thinking as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_one View Post
I've always seen those iron ons ads in the comics and I was thinking.. did someone actually buy some back than?? Never seen a picture of the actual item.
You don't see them very often and they are nearly impossible to find anymore. However, I know there are some fellow Dromers that have one or more of them in their collection.

Old 11-01-2012, 05:35 AM   #1217
The Fifth Turtle
Mad Scientist

Quote:

You don't see them very often and they are nearly impossible to find anymore. However, I know there are some fellow Dromers that have one or more of them in their collection.

I have one thats unused. Its the cover of number one.
Old 11-01-2012, 11:48 AM   #1218
frank_one
Mad Scientist

Quote:
I have one thats unused. Its the cover of number one.
I would love to see a picture of it!
Old 11-05-2012, 06:56 PM   #1219
Coro
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Well, now is not a great time to be buying because the TMNT are a hot commodity with the new cartoon, figures, comics, etc. Recent sales for #1 1st and 2nd printings have been WAY up from what they were just a year ago.

Looking at the pictures I'd say this would grade somewhere between 6.0 and 7.0. A slabbed 5.5 just sold recently for $1,500 and a 7.5 for $2,300. If you factor in this flyer that no one has seen before...I'd be surprised to see this go for less than $2,500.
Looks like its closing in on the 1500 range with only a few hours to go. Looks like I am out of the running as I was going to count myself lucky at a 1200-1300 range, but we are past that
Old 11-05-2012, 07:06 PM   #1220
HotJuicyBurgers
Mad Scientist

Quote:

Doesn't archon or tmnt terminator own the original art for one?

http://bootd.wordpress.com/
HotJuicyBurgers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ask a question, ban etsyturtle2, comic discussion, questions