The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 11-05-2017, 06:27 PM   #21
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Did anyone catch the limited showings this weekend?

I did, too tempting, limited release yet 10 minutes from my house, nostalgia to watch Pokemon on the big screen which I haven't since Pokemon 2000, and a free card and Movie Ash hat Pikachu download?

Sadly the Pikachu download ended up being for UltraSun/UltraMoon and not normal Sun/Moon and I wasn't planning on getting those games anytime soon but now I feel forced into getting them

So how was the movie? I had heard bad stuff but also some good stuff but int he end I agree with a lot that It was crap.

The dub was awful, the music was horrible including the season 1 theme ugh, the animation actually seemed inferior to the ones I've seen from the XYZ or SunMoon anime.

The story is a condensed yet more boring version of a few episodes, the re-telling of the first episode/byebyebutterfree/charmander are all lamer versions and yet spend more time in some key parts which just didn't work. One example is the first battle, both the original anime and even Origins did a different take but good job while here it was a long drawnout fight (at least it featured a cameo of the movie1 trainer) The few original mini-stories in the movie are boring and without emotion so not even worth talking about.

The Ho-Oh plot which we have been waiting for 20 years to see ends up being really dumb, pointless and unfulfilling not to mention random. Adding Marshadow for no apparent reasona s there's no real reason for him to be there he seems so forced and no prupose.

As far as the new characters they're also boring though I guess they could've worked in the actual show but in this mess of a movie they're lame. The ideas for them are cool, one is the daughter of a famous trainer, the other wants to be a professor and the rival is like the Gen2 rival. Team Rocket's appearances are so lame, just blasting off but not even in a funny way.

This movie had so much potential and it's all wasted away, especially since it's an alternate universe not related to the original show, the worse is that the way the movie is now it doesn't work for anyone, new fans nor old fans. The new version lacks anything from the newer games really outside of marshadow cameos so there goes the new fans, and it also lacks any fan service for the older fans while giving us a boring story that neither demographic will care about.

Have I mentioned that Pikachu canonically talked in the movie? It's as horrible as you can imagine, and yet it the most memorable part because of that while anything else was just boring, at least this got some emotion out of me.

How this movie could've gone? Here are some ideas:

- Re-make the first episode and just add little subplots here and there, maybe even borrowing from other episodes but keep it as his "first day" adventure. This is what I thought it was going to be originally.

-Re-Make the whole indigo league, and while this would've been quick and already kind of done with Pokemon origins, they did a lousy job so here it could've been done how it should've been done. We kind of see something like this was going to happen as we see Ash get his third badge but then it plays out differently, hell that didn't even make sense since it means he got three badges with only one Pokemon.

-Make it in continuity and have Marshadow play with Ash's dreams and he "dreams" this remake of his original adventure but with Ho-Oh actually being a big part of the whole movie and there you tie it in to the first episode, make it relevant to newer fans of the show and it's both a re-telling and continuation

-Since it's an AU go all crazy and take real chances, like have Ash actually die in the end, don't just do the same stuff that is normally done, in fact it played it safer than the average movie. Break conventions of what the Pokemon anime was, if it wasn't a remake then why is it so by the numbers?

-Have it really be a Pokemon 20 celebration and have them have a tribute to all 20 years of the anime with references and what not, there were very few and the only good ones were after the movie officialy ended and it lasted like 10 seconds going through every saga. Hell even the credits teased us as well by showing us 20 years of the anime, why couldn't the movie have been that?

So there you go, 5 different ways to make this movie better, and not all of them are by pandering to genwunners. What a waste.

Here is a more edited version of my post.

Last edited by sdp; 11-05-2017 at 09:22 PM.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 12:07 PM   #22
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Just got the DVD of this film yesterdag, surprised it came out so quick.

I guess thats the norm for films with limited theatrical releases like this one.

Anyways, I did watch this film in theatres about a month ago with friends who are also hardcore Poke Fans and absolutely loved it. It was a dream come true for me to get a movie with Ho-Oh, I've been waiting for it to happen since the 90s

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 03:46 PM   #23
sdp
Megan Fox = April

The movie was trash. Still it was cool to see a Pokemon movie in theaters again and to get a special TCG card and Pikachu for the games.

So the new movie people are saying will be another AU film, I don't think so, he clearly has the same cap of the Ash in this movie, so what does that mean? Will all future movies feature this new canon? Does that mean the Ash from the TV show won't get to meet all the new legendaries since he usually met many of them only in movies?
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 09:51 AM   #24
Allio
Foot Elite

Looks like it? We seem to be getting a Johto film redux.

At least there is a cute waifu