The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Everything Else

Notices

Old 06-04-2017, 02:00 AM   #1
Prowler
Emperor

Stuff you didn't like/have any interest in but ended up enjoying later in life

I think it's safe to say most of us have claimed/sworn "I'll NEVER do this/that/wtv" at least once in our lifetimes. But people change their opinions/views at times.

When I was a kid I've never expected to like pro wrestling, WWE in particular, because I didn't exactly know what it was. Older people just kept referring to it as "fake fighting", so I just assumed it was simply roided up dudes being paid to fake fight in the ring and that was it. But then watched a few Raw episodes and was suddenly hooked.

I also never expected to get into anime/manga. I was one of the very few people alongside my brother that didn't care for DBZ or the Pokémon anime back in the 90s, thinking Japanese animation and art looked weird and ugly. Then, as we enter the 21st century I start seeing more anime popping up on TV, mainly cable channels and end up watching some, eventually becoming a fan of the medium. OK, I watched Speed Racer back in the 90s... but it was the English dub that aired here, and it was so old that I had not noticed it was originally Japanese. Silly me.

But the biggest example is reading. And by that I don't mean comics and such. I mean reading prose/novels. I was once one of those people who disliked reading and found it boring, because school kept forcing me to read books I didn't want to read. It killed every enjoyment of it. Especially the essays I had to write after reading them and having to interpret things such as "the curtains were blue..." as if they had any deep meaning behind it. Plus, many of the big readers I've met, and also many of my teachers were pretty snobbish about comics, and almost called you an illiterate dumbass for
reading them, which is absurd since they're also a part of literature and comics such as Tintin, Astérix, Spirou, Corto Maltese and the likes are suitable for people of all age brackets and they're big parts of European culture. Good luck telling a 12 year old kid to stop reading that and read 500 page novels. It wasn't until I finished HS that I began to enjoy reading novels.

What about you?
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 05:35 AM   #2
BubblyShell22
Leo-holic

Interesting thread.

I also wasn't a fna of pro wrestling and only got into it when I was in junior high. I had never had much interest in it, but then my brother turned it on and I found myself getting hooked and the rest is history.

I also never thought I would like drama shows as I never really had an interest in them. Then when I was in college, I began to watch House and got hooked on it and now watch quite a few dramas.

The same can be said for sci-fi shows because I was never really one to watch them and now I watch Doctor Who whenever I can because I love it.

"Embrace your inner a**holiness."-Mr. Anderson.
BubblyShell22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 08:34 AM   #3
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

Broccoli
- No seriously. I hated the stuff when I was a kid. Green bell peppers too. And then one day I realized it wasn't certain vegetables I disliked, but rather how they'd been prepared in the past. I found a way to make them that more aligned with my palate, and now I can't get enough of them.

The same thing kind of goes with beer.

- Non X-Men Big Two Comic Characters.
Didn't care a lick for any of them, either side of the aisle.
Thanks to the MCU, and various DC animated stuff that opinion has shifted.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 08:54 AM   #4
DestronMirage22
Yukipedia

Drawing: I've never been good at it, so for years I didn't even bother trying to improve or draw anything. But now I've been trying to get better even though I'm still pretty bad, and I've kinda come to like my art style (if you could even call it that). Weird. But nonetheless, drawing is now a big hobby of mine, something I really enjoy and strive to get better at.

Action figure stands: I used to think they were pointless, but after buying some figures that really needed them, I'm happy to have 'em.
DestronMirage22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 10:17 AM   #5
snake
Disgusting

Exploring music, as in listening to full albums that weren't hip hop. /mu/ got me hooked with In The Court of the Crimson King.
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 10:33 AM   #6
Wesley
Mad Scientist

Music. I didn't pay much attention to it when I was younger but started having a greater interest in it a few years ago. Still not a big fan of music, but I at least have some favourite bands/artists nowadays anyway.
Wesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 11:24 AM   #7
CyberCubed
Overlord

The only major thing is I started watching a whole bunch of 80's and 90's action movies I either never saw before or only saw once as a kid and I barely remember. Over the last 5 months since January, I'd watched every major "good" movie from:

Arnold Schwarzeneggar
Sylvester Stallone
Harrison Ford
Bruce Willis
Mel Gibson
Jean Claude Van-Damme
Eddie Murphy
Jim Carrey
Keanu Reeves
Tom Cruise
Samuel L. Jackson
Kurt Russel
Bruce Lee
Jackie Chan
John Travolta
Nicolas Cage

etc.

And I'm telling you this comes out to nearly 150-200 movies overall. I honestly lost count at 100. I try to watch one movie a night.

After this I might go back and watch "classic" movie actors from the 50's, 60's and 70's.....but that won't be for a while.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 03:55 PM   #8
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
For some real classics, try Humphrey Bogart, Gene Kelly, the old Bing Crosby/Bob Hope "Road to..." movies, Gone With The Wind(if you can sit through all of it) or any Clark Gable films.

Things I didn't like before but do now- mushrooms. Love them. And didn't get into comic heroes until in high school. Read a few X-Men and New Mutants issues and was intrigued but didn't really pursue it until I got bored one night during a lull in the weekly D&D game I played at the time and discovered how great they could be after reading the Spider-Man 9-11 tribute TPB.

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end

Last edited by MsMarvelDuckie; 06-04-2017 at 04:02 PM.
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 03:26 AM   #9
ProactiveMan
Spooky ghost

I didn't like coffee until I was in my mid twenties. I though it was gross, but I needed to stay awake a lot, so I trained myself to like it. Now I love it.
Old 07-04-2017, 01:52 PM   #10
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProactiveMan View Post
I didn't like coffee until I was in my mid twenties. I though it was gross, but I needed to stay awake a lot, so I trained myself to like it. Now I love it.
Oh, this reminds me: drinking.

It took me about 7-8 tries to finally enjoy a beer. If you had told me after the first couple of beers I've had in my life that I'd end up enjoying beer a lot I'd not have believed you.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 10:22 AM   #11
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

Well, TMNT obviously

The Bone comics I kind of skipped over in elementary and middle school because I thought I thought it would be rife with juvenile humor (ala Captain Underpants...which I've realized through Tumblr takes no prisoners in satire), until I read it in high school and now it's my favorite comic series.

Same thing happened with Doctor Who later on in high school.

I'm considering testing out the waters on the Play Station games of yore, since I was a Nintendo kid. but that would mean being around my bf a lot more since he has a PS4. Which isn't a bad thing in the slightest...it's just that he lives a while away from me. And since the Crash Bandicoot remaster, that might have to be it. I'll probably get him that for his birthday...he's been considering getting it.