The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Everything Else

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2007, 05:22 PM   #121
OA
Scatter the nuns!!
 
OA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 3,901
Yea, the lions have been hurting alot these last few years...Im hoping the Bucs are able to snag Calvin...he looks like such a tremendous wideout...And Gruden NEEDS to have a great draft if he wants to keep his job beyond this year...

And WOOHOO!! Wisconsin loss!! Nothing againsst the badgers but Ii'm still kinda peeved that Gators dropped so far...
__________________
OA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 05:28 PM   #122
Mr. Snackpants
Keep cool my babies!
 
Mr. Snackpants's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Mount Pleasant
Posts: 2,239
Because Ford is an idiot. But to be fair Millen isnt as bad as some make him out to be. His overall drafts arent that bad, but it's his 1st round picks that have everyone breathing down his neck. To be honest I would not be upset if he took a WR. I know that sounds crazy, but I really feel that way. THe only options at #2 are Quinn, Thomas, and Peterson (assuming Oakland take Russell). Or trading down of course. But because of Millens past mistakes with drafting WRs, CJ wont happen even though CJ will be better than all 3 of our 1st round picks. The reason I wouldnt mind picking another WR is because Rogers is gone and Mike Williams is on his way out of town. I mean, the Lions have SO many holes to fill so they should take the best talent available. BUt it will never happen because people would hunt him down and murder him for taking 4 WRs in the 1st round.
Mr. Snackpants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 05:57 PM   #123
JetsAndHeels
Stone Warrior
 
JetsAndHeels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: NC
Posts: 596
I think the Lions could use a good tackle or guard on offense. I remember Joey Harrington getting murdered behind that line a few seasons ago. Seems like that would be a good way to go.

As far as the Jets go, I'm not really used to seeing them pick so late in the 1st round. Currently they hold the #25 pick. I would like to see them go with some defense, prefferably a good nose tackle and a corner.
__________________
JetsAndHeels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 06:05 PM   #124
OA
Scatter the nuns!!
 
OA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 3,901
yea, there's NO WAY the Lions could go with yet another WR...im still baffled they havent been able to make it work with the studs you already have (and with all the smack they talk...)...but I guess the o-line will do you in everytime...the o-line in the sport in general, IMO, is soo underrated...many people don't realize just how important it is to have guys up front who can hold off those beasts on defense...
__________________
OA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 06:13 PM   #125
JetsAndHeels
Stone Warrior
 
JetsAndHeels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: NC
Posts: 596
That is why I am so glad the Jets have a good coach in Mangini. Last year instead of going with the "sexy" pick in Matt Leinart at #4, they took D'brick (which was great bc they desperately needed the OL help). Then they got the great center Mangold from Ohio State and then Eric Smith the WR/QB from Missouri.

I hope they have another good draft this year that helps fill needs, not get flashy players.
And I am sure they will...coach Mangini comes from the Belicheck tree of coaching where you get the right guys for the right roles, you don't go for the big names.
__________________
JetsAndHeels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 06:37 PM   #126
Mr. Snackpants
Keep cool my babies!
 
Mr. Snackpants's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Mount Pleasant
Posts: 2,239
I agree with needing a good oline(Dline too), I was an Olineman in high school. But we slapped a franchise tag on Jeff Backus(LT) and now we wanna draft another LT #2 overall. I don't believe in drafting Olinemen that high. And then one of them will have to move to RT. It doesnt really matter theyll be top 5 again next year
Mr. Snackpants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 06:34 AM   #127
Dinny
Stone Warrior
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 783
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinny View Post
Unfortunately my team's in the UEFA cup this year so the Champions League has been boring so far for me. Looking forward to Inter - Valencia tonight though, should be excellent. I expect Inter to go through to the quarters but it'll be close.
I can only see Barcelona - Liverpool going one way but Liverpool have the luck of the draw on their side as if they can get a descent result tonight, Barca will need to play well at Anfield which has become a fortress in the Premiership this season.
As much as I want Porto to win tonight, they'd need more than luck to get anything out of tonight's game with Chelsea, and I can see Chelsea winning in Portugal too. Expect to see some dramatic display from Mourinho once Chelsea go through, like mooning the Chelsea supporters for no good reason.
As for Roma - Lyon, I think Roma could squeeze a victory tonight, but realistically Lyon will march on through.
Boy was I wrong. Chelsea drew 1-1 with Porto in Porto, Inter drew 2-2 with Valencia in Milan and LIVERPOOL BEAT BARCELONA 1-2 IN THE CAMP NOU! Oh and Roma - Lyon finished 0-0.
Dinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 07:05 PM   #128
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Emperor
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Sweden
Posts: 7,754
UEFA Champion's League

Once upon a time, there was the UEFA Champion's Cup and from the early 1990's, the UEFA Champion's League. A Champion's League shall be for champion's clubs, not those who finished 2nd and behind. I think it's all about money. I don't care about how good some soccer leagues are ranked. I would like to see one team from each country again in the Champion's League.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 08:15 PM   #129
Dinny
Stone Warrior
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 783
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johan Sweden 1982 View Post
Once upon a time, there was the UEFA Champion's Cup and from the early 1990's, the UEFA Champion's League. A Champion's League shall be for champion's clubs, not those who finished 2nd and behind. I think it's all about money. I don't care about how good some soccer leagues are ranked. I would like to see one team from each country again in the Champion's League.
Presumably because you're Swedish. I think that the method of team selection used currently is as good as it can get. Why should the champions of Albania get to play when Chelsea, Real Madrid and AC Milan cannot? I agree with the fact that the name is misleading, as it is not just champions who take part in the Champions' League, but the idea of the Champions' League is to have the best teams from all of Europe compete for the ultimate club prize in any sport in the world, and as such UEFA have got it right. I would rather see Chelsea - Real Madrid (neither of whom are currently 1st in their respective leagues) play than Tirana FC - Sofia FC, or even Barcelona - Tirana FC for that matter.
Dinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 02:02 AM   #130
Sewer Bull
Devil's Advocate
 
Sewer Bull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 4,768
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinny View Post
Why should the champions of Albania get to play when Chelsea, Real Madrid and AC Milan cannot?
Because there are also some people loving football in Albania, you know. Just like in the country I live in, that hasn't had a team in Champions League since... forever.

There's that certain magic in football that allows potentially weaker teams to defeat the ultimate giants, win the trophies and cheer the masses. Just like Greece winning Euro in 2004.

Champions League kills this magic. Only surprises that you can get there is the "weak" Liverpool winning the trophy in 2005.
__________________

Soooo... THIS is how you spend your free time now?!

Last edited by Sewer Bull; 02-23-2007 at 05:40 AM.
Sewer Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 02:18 AM   #131
Barkworm
Time for business!
 
Barkworm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Germany
Posts: 5,313
I totally agree. CL has lost all its charm.
__________________
Barkworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 06:40 AM   #132
Dinny
Stone Warrior
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 783
If you were to have a tournament like the old Champions' Cup it would be impossible to run now. There are 53 countries registered with UEFA! How can you hold a tournament for 53 countries? I agree with Johan when he says that money is a factor, it is very likely that England, Spain, Italy, France and Germany would be very unhappy with going back to the old system because the new one accomodates their teams so well and could threaten to pull out of UEFA if that happens. I also feel that having four teams represent England, Spain (and is it still Italy?) is too much. Perhaps if all teams had to qualify even if they were champions of Spain, we could see more upsets with more of the super powers getting knocked out.

Anyway, I see your point and it is definitely true that the Champions' League no longer has the romance that was once associated with it.

By the way Sewer Bull, which Polish team do you support? I ask because Panathinaikos has crossed paths with Legia Warsaw and Wisla Krakow in the past.
Dinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 09:04 AM   #133
jeff the cheff
Mad Scientist
 
jeff the cheff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: 122 and an eighth
Posts: 2,129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sewer Bull View Post
There's that certain magic in football that allows potentially weaker teams to defeat the ultimate giants, win the trophies and cheer the masses. Just like Greece winning Euro in 2004.
Is it the fact that you can win the game by only scoring once?
jeff the cheff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 09:19 AM   #134
Dinny
Stone Warrior
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 783
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff the cheff View Post
Is it the fact that you can win the game by only scoring once?
That certainly has a lot to do it. One of the things that makes football so exciting is that it takes less than 10 seconds to score a goal, meaning that there's always a tension around the ground when it's a close scoring game. As such, upsets are always on the cards. Do you only enjoy sports when people score?

Last edited by Dinny; 02-23-2007 at 09:25 AM.
Dinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 04:57 PM   #135
jeff the cheff
Mad Scientist
 
jeff the cheff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: 122 and an eighth
Posts: 2,129
No I don't only like sports when people score. Sometimes the most exciting parts of games are not when someone scores, like a big hit in hockey, a high yard play in football, a stolen ball in basketball, a triple play in baseball, etc.
jeff the cheff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 05:26 PM   #136
Sewer Bull
Devil's Advocate
 
Sewer Bull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 4,768
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinny View Post
If you were to have a tournament like the old Champions' Cup it would be impossible to run now. There are 53 countries registered with UEFA! How can you hold a tournament for 53 countries?
Well... I didn't say that every single national champion has to take part in CL year by year. We don't have these qualification rounds for nothing, I guess.

But now, on this level of CL, we've got four English teams, three Spanish, three Italian and two French - 12 teams from four countries and 4 teams from other four countries.... DAMN! It's just unjust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinny View Post
By the way Sewer Bull, which Polish team do you support? I ask because Panathinaikos has crossed paths with Legia Warsaw and Wisla Krakow in the past.
Formally Legia Warsaw (as I live in this city and used to like them a lot when I was younger). Yeah, I remember CL quarter-finals in 1996... I was so upset, damn Warzycha. I don't support them that much as I used to, tho'. I don't feel any grief if they lose or get knocked out. The only Polish team I really care about now is the national squad.

I don't like Wisla Krakow, so I had a good laugh when Panathinaikos knocked them out a few years ago. Damn, such losers - losing 4-1 after winning the first match 3-1.
__________________

Soooo... THIS is how you spend your free time now?!

Last edited by Sewer Bull; 02-24-2007 at 02:13 AM.
Sewer Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 06:26 PM   #137
Dinny
Stone Warrior
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 783
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sewer Bull View Post
Formally Legia Warsaw (as I live in this city and used to like them a lot when I was younger). Yeah, I remember CL quarter-finals in 1996... I was so upset, damn Warzycha. I don't support them that much as I used to, tho'. I don't feel any grief if they lose or get knocked out. The only Polish team I really care about now is the national squad.

I don't like Wisla Krakow, so I had a good laugh when Panathinaikos knocked them out a few years ago. Damn, such losers - losing 4-1 after winning the first match 3-1.
The funniest thing about those two results was that it was Polish players that put the teams out. Warzycha (or Bazexa as we call him) as you mentioned in 1996 and Olisadebe scored in the tie against Wisla. Both players are legends at Panathinaikos. Our team in 1996 though was excellent. I believe they were the only European team to ever win in the Old Amsterdam Stadium and it was against the then champions of Europe, Ajax (unfortunately after winning the first leg 0-1 in Amsterdam, we lost the second leg 0-3 in Athens ).

Most Greek fans at leased used to be the opposite to the way you feel as prior to the victory in Euro 2004, hardly any fans or even any players cared much for the national team but cared for their club more than anything. I always found that ridiculous, the rivalry between clubs got so heated that for a period certain players from opposing clubs would refuse to play together on the national team. All that seems to have changed for good now, though.

Last edited by Dinny; 02-23-2007 at 06:31 PM.
Dinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 11:08 AM   #138
Mr. Snackpants
Keep cool my babies!
 
Mr. Snackpants's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Mount Pleasant
Posts: 2,239
Well today is the day...the day i've been waiting for since last summer. Pistons vs. Bulls...at the Palace. I hope 'Sheed and C-Webb tear Ben a new one. I planned on being there today, but bad weather today and last night didn't allow me to go. I very anxious to hear the reaction of the fans when Ben steps on the floor for warmups and when he is announced. I know if I were there I'd be booing as loud as I could.
Mr. Snackpants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 02:51 PM   #139
JetsAndHeels
Stone Warrior
 
JetsAndHeels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: NC
Posts: 596
Calvin Johnson ran a 4.3 today at the combine.

This guy is so good its just absurd. He is bar none the best overall player in this year's draft. He will make an instant impact on whatever team gets him.
__________________
JetsAndHeels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 03:20 PM   #140
Mr. Snackpants
Keep cool my babies!
 
Mr. Snackpants's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Mount Pleasant
Posts: 2,239
CJ is crazy good. That's why I believe any team that passes on him is crazy...even the Lions.

Joe Thomas is impressing lots of people. But I still dont like the Lions taking him #2.
Mr. Snackpants is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:32 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.