The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Video Game Discussion

Notices

Old 07-11-2016, 08:10 AM   #1
retr0pia75
Foot Soldier

Worst OT game?

Many agree that the franchise's gaming endeavors were at their peak during the late 80's to the early-to-mid 90's, back when the OT was still going strong and when Konami held the rights to develop video games based off of it. Of course, even back then our favorite Heroes in a Half-Shell weren't completely safe from the cheap, slapdash practices that continue to plague licensed games to this day. So, what's your pick for the worst OT game?
retr0pia75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 05:16 PM   #2
Powder
So tired of this place

Barring hand-held toy aisle joints, I'd go with Tournament Fighters for Genesis. I find it unplayable.

Kamehameha.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 05:26 PM   #3
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
Barring hand-held toy aisle joints, I'd go with Tournament Fighters for Genesis. I find it unplayable.

Kamehameha.
Though the SNES version was better.
Old 07-11-2016, 05:32 PM   #4
retr0pia75
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
Though the SNES version was better.
The SNES version surpasses the Genesis version by 100x. Better graphics, better variety of characters, better controls, better music, better sound effects...better everything, really.
The Genesis version is a complete and utter trainwreck.
Old 07-11-2016, 05:32 PM   #5
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

By the time it came out it was difficult to find any buddy that wanted to play a poor man's Street Fighter 2 with Ninja Turtles in it. But it looks nice. The SNES one anyway.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 06:12 PM   #6
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Tournament Fighter NES. It has the four turtles, Shredder, and Hothead. It was not a novelty to fight as Shredder because he was also included in the SNES version which also included The Rat King and Armaggon.
Old 07-11-2016, 07:14 PM   #7
Coola Yagami
Overlord

The SNES Tournament Fighters was awesome. Unlike the other console-only fighting games like Eternal Champions, Double Dragon 5, Ballz and whatever else, this game played like Street Fighter with actual combos and quick gameplay, and they threw in SNK style super moves. The game was friggin awesome.

The Genesis version was.... horrible. To be fair, I was at least able to beat it. But yeah, the worst OT game thus far was Genesis Tournament Fighters.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 07:24 PM   #8
oldmanwinters
Overlord

I've always thought Genesis TF controls better than SNES TF. Doesn't look anywhere near as good, but I find it easier to play. The AI is brutally cheap, even though the SNES AI abuses the block feature ad nauseum.

As for worst classic Turtles game... I'll go with TMNT II on the original Game Boy. It's a decent game with good sprite art, but it's also my least favorite of the GB trilogy.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 07:27 PM   #9
retr0pia75
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
I've always thought Genesis TF controls better than SNES TF. Doesn't look anywhere near as good, but I find it easier to play. The AI is brutally cheap, even though the SNES AI abuses the block feature ad nauseum.

As for worst classic Turtles game... I'll go with TMNT II on the original Game Boy. It's a decent game with good sprite art, but it's also my least favorite of the GB trilogy.
To be fair, Fall of the Foot Clan and Back from the Sewers were equally mediocre in their own right. Radical Rescue on the other hand was a really solid Metroidvania-style game.
Old 07-11-2016, 07:58 PM   #10
Powder
So tired of this place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
it looks nice. The SNES one anyway.
Plays just as well as a polished SF title, but yeah, the visuals are definitely it's biggest charm point. Amazing OST too, though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by retr0pia75 View Post
The Genesis version is a complete and utter trainwreck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
The Genesis version was.... horrible. To be fair, I was at least able to beat it. But yeah, the worst OT game thus far was Genesis Tournament Fighters.
Glad I'm not the only one to feel this way. I mean, I suck at it, so I figured it could be my fault in part, but it does seem to have brutally cheap AI, as OMW puts it.

Quote:
the SNES AI abuses the block feature ad nauseum.
Which isn't an issue if you know their weak spot. There's a trick to getting through the defense of each character. Like Shredder, for example. Keep a distance & always sweep the legs.

Quote:
To be fair, Fall of the Foot Clan and Back from the Sewers were equally mediocre in their own right. Radical Rescue on the other hand was a really solid Metroidvania-style game.
I like RR least of the three, personally. It's got some cool concepts & visuals but the gameplay itself is tiresome & a bit difficult, IMO. I have the same problem with similarly styled games though, in fairness. & Megaman, too.

Old 07-11-2016, 08:18 PM   #11
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:

Which isn't an issue if you know their weak spot. There's a trick to getting through the defense of each character. Like Shredder, for example. Keep a distance & always sweep the legs.
Hmm... the Turtles always did have a penchant for referencing 80s movies!

View my sketch work!
Old 07-11-2016, 08:20 PM   #12
retr0pia75
Foot Soldier

The names of the stages in the Genesis version of TF are pretty unimaginative, too. I mean, "Futuristic City Planet"? "Bio Planet"? "Water Planet"?
Old 07-11-2016, 09:20 PM   #13
TurtleGuy
Foot Soldier

I like the music in the Genesis version of Tournament Fighters.

That's probably about the only thing I like about it, though.

I just realized that a true contender would be the non-NES ports of the first game. Some were so bad, that you legitimately cannot get past a certain point without cheating due to piss-poor programming.

Last edited by TurtleGuy; 07-12-2016 at 12:23 AM.
TurtleGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 10:54 AM   #14
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleGuy View Post

I just realized that a true contender would be the non-NES ports of the first game. Some were so bad, that you legitimately cannot get past a certain point without cheating due to piss-poor programming.
Yeah, if we open it up to the home computer market, that's a certainty!
http://www.scary-crayon.com/games/tmnt12pc/

View my sketch work!
Old 07-12-2016, 01:38 PM   #15
CyberCubed
Overlord

Is it fair to call them, "OT" games? The classic games seemed like they were based on the cartoon, Playmates toyline, and Archie comics all rolled into one.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 05:06 PM   #16
retr0pia75
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Is it fair to call them, "OT" games? The classic games seemed like they were based on the cartoon, Playmates toyline, and Archie comics all rolled into one.
Well, some of the games felt like that. Games like Fall of the Foot Clan and the original arcade game were solely based on the OT.
Old 07-13-2016, 11:40 AM   #17
Spike Spiegel
See You Next Mission

Quote:
I think Back from the Sewers improved on Fall of the Foot Clan. The Game Boy controls felt a little cramped but it wasn't bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomancer View Post
Mirage [is]...a comic about life and how life and the people closest to you just absolutely suck sometimes. It's "adult" in a very real sense, in that it deals with heavy themes that resonate more with adults, not that it's full of blood and titties or whatever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_osborn View Post
[TMNT 1990 director Steve] Barron recognized the early Mirage issues as perfect storyboards. It's a shame no other filmmaker has.
Spike Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 07:59 AM   #18
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
Yeah, if we open it up to the home computer market, that's a certainty!
The UK Amiga version looks and plays a bit better but suffers a similar issue. I love the game but I normally cheat through the game because of it's difficulty.

For all of the talk of how great Radical Rescue is I found it more of a chore to play than actual fun. Then again I'm not a big Metroid fan.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 05:14 PM   #19
Powder
So tired of this place

Having beaten Hyperstone Heist this morning, I feel compelled to say how much that game sucks too. Turtles In Time rules, obviously, but HH is such a cheap imitation.

Old 07-14-2016, 05:41 PM   #20
retr0pia75
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Having beaten Hyperstone Heist this morning, I feel compelled to say how much that game sucks too. Turtles In Time rules, obviously, but HH is such a cheap imitation.
Sometimes, I wonder if HH was initially supposed to be a Genesis port of TiT, but some random circumstance forced Konami to re-tool the entire thing into something different. It would explain the recycling of music and level themes from TiT (Aside from the ghost ship and Japanese town levels, which I thought were pretty cool. It's a shame the game didn't have more stages like them).

Last edited by retr0pia75; 07-14-2016 at 05:53 PM.

Tags
ot game