The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion

Notices

Old 05-15-2014, 09:27 PM   #161
psychturtle
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boston Ninja Turtle View Post
they could..but at the same time we shouldn't expect it

when these where first announced people treated it like a regular toyline, wanting a full figure line up

and thats just not the case...look at figuarts i think they have maybe 2 full ranger teams out of the 35 or so

figures like this are made in limited numbers for the collectors

it will depend how well they sell and what they are allowed to do past the turtles
very true. Those thinking this Revoltech tmnt series will be made into full lines just haven't been collecting high end figures for very long. There will probably be just the four turtles and maybe splinter/shredder/April but that's pushing it. These are going to be pretty pricey after release. I'm probably not going to be able to afford two sets and just have to settle on one set.

Blame Playmates toys for these not being sold in the US.
psychturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 10:23 PM   #162
The Boston Ninja Turtle
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by okstpsy View Post

exactly

and even figuarts is a bad example since bandai distributes both figuarts and power rangers

https://www.facebook.com/TheBostonNinjaTurtle
The Boston Ninja Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 12:26 AM   #163
Spidergreg
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatMarvelousGuy View Post
OMG I must have more info on these they look amazing!!!!!!
Some more info in case you didn't already know...

- Articulated fingers.
- Waist rotation (rumour!!)
Spidergreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 01:41 AM   #164
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

The articulated fingers are perfectly displayed on the released pictures...
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 01:54 AM   #165
Spidergreg
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Kappa View Post
The articulated fingers are perfectly displayed on the released pictures...
yeah, hence the "in case u didn't already know".
Spidergreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 04:24 AM   #166
Wherenoturtlehasgoneb4
Random Punk

Quote:
very true. Those thinking this Revoltech tmnt series will be made into full lines just haven't been collecting high end figures for very long. There will probably be just the four turtles and maybe splinter/shredder/April but that's pushing it. These are going to be pretty pricey after release. I'm probably not going to be able to afford two sets and just have to settle on one set.

Yes, Revoltech usually makes only the main character/s from each license they have. I'm pretty sure the four turtles will be all we´ll see.
Old 05-18-2014, 04:06 PM   #167
cloud
Stone Warrior

Quote:

I don't think this has anything to do with Playmates. More like it's a Japanese company and their main target audience are people in Asia.
cloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 05:10 PM   #168
psychturtle
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloud View Post
I don't think this has anything to do with Playmates. More like it's a Japanese company and their main target audience are people in Asia.
Yeah keep telling that. Why aren't these going to be sold in the US? Obvious answer. See what happened with NECA tmnt to get an idea of what Playmates Toys does to competition.
psychturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 05:19 PM   #169
tmntman
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Yeah keep telling that. Why aren't these going to be sold in the US? Obvious answer. See what happened with NECA tmnt to get an idea of what Playmates Toys does to competition.
Playmates has nothing to do with it. In fact that same opportunity in the contract that allowed the NECA TMNT items to be produced could also be applied here. These are not being sold in the US because Kaiyodo doesn't sell any of their lines in the US. Importers buy them in Japan and ship them over here. And the same thing will happen with the TMNT Revoltech figures.

Check out my site at http://www.tmnttoys.com/
or follow me on Twitter, @TMNTtoys
tmntman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 05:45 PM   #170
The Boston Ninja Turtle
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmntman View Post
These are not being sold in the US because Kaiyodo doesn't sell any of their lines in the US.
thats not entirely true...alot of the high end figures under the Kaiyodo are are infact sold in the Us

it really just comes down to playmates and what the hold over here as a market line

Old 05-18-2014, 08:33 PM   #171
tmntman
Mad Scientist

Quote:
thats not entirely true...alot of the high end figures under the Kaiyodo are are infact sold in the Us

it really just comes down to playmates and what the hold over here as a market line
Are they sold in the US by Kaiyodo or sold in Japan and then brought here by importers? I'm certainly not an expert. But I have never heard of Revoltech having any US distribution.

Old 05-19-2014, 09:42 AM   #172
rickwj324
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Are they sold in the US by Kaiyodo or sold in Japan and then brought here by importers? I'm certainly not an expert. But I have never heard of Revoltech having any US distribution.
I believe you are correct. I don't believe any US retailers carry these. The only exceptions maybe are specialty stores (like those Asian stores located in malls that sell questionable dvd products and Asian figures/statues). The only real US chains that I can think of that may carry something like this is a store like Gamestop perhaps? I know I've seen Asian figures in there from time-to-time.

Are there any other stores known to carry them in the US?
rickwj324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 10:42 AM   #173
Scavenger
Random Punk

Quote:
Diamond was definitely one of Kaiyodo's official distributors in the past, but nowadays it doesn't seem like Kaiyodo is represented outside of Asia by any official distributor. Diamond still distributes Kaiyodo products, but no idea if they are still an official distributor.
Scavenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 12:23 PM   #174
The Boston Ninja Turtle
Mad Scientist

no these wont be found in any us stores...but it has happened in the past

toys r us tried to carry Figuarts toys yes both power rangers and figuarts are owned by bandai but still the effort was made

if playmates wanted to cut some sort of deal to have these at least be sold through a US online distributor it would make all sides happy instead of those of us needing to import

Old 05-19-2014, 12:52 PM   #175
arkangel
Hench Mutant

I was thinking of asking my local comic / collectibles shop if he would be willing to special order these, as his distributor obviously wouldn't carry them.
If I could convince him of how well they'd sell, it might be cheaper if he ordered multiple sets rather than doing a one-off individual customer order myself.

Is my logic sound?
arkangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 01:03 PM   #176
The Boston Ninja Turtle
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkangel View Post
Is my logic sound?
i don't see why not...my local comic shop sorta does it but not really...they claim to import anything you ask but most goes on uncaring ears

give it a shot

Old 05-19-2014, 01:23 PM   #177
arkangel
Hench Mutant

Quote:
i don't see why not...my local comic shop sorta does it but not really...they claim to import anything you ask but most goes on uncaring ears
He must be the brother of MY comic guy.
"Hey could you put both covers of the next comic in my file"
"Ya, no problem man"

As in ya whatever...
arkangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 06:25 PM   #178
tmntman
Mad Scientist

Quote:
if playmates wanted to cut some sort of deal to have these at least be sold through a US online distributor it would make all sides happy instead of those of us needing to import
I still don't understand why you keep putting it on Playmates to "allow" US distribution to happen. Clearly there are other companies licensing the rights to produce other TMNT figures including articulated figures. And the NECA line demonstrates that there is room in the contract language, or at least there was under the contract with Mirage, for other action figures to be produced if they don't directly compete with Playmates in the mass market. So why do you continue to insist that it is Playmates blocking this product from being made available in the US and not the case that Kaiyodo simply hasn't sought US distribution? Is there something you know which the rest of us don't or do you just assume that Playmates is the obstacle?

Old 05-19-2014, 07:42 PM   #179
Redrumh2o
Mad Scientist

^correct, it has nothing to do with Playmates...Funko has a TMNT toy license as well.
Redrumh2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 06:16 AM   #180
rickwj324
Mad Scientist

Yeah, Playmates has no control over who else can sell turtles figures. They hold a specific license and I'm sure that license entitles them to certain rights from Viacom. Such a license probably entitles them to strict distribution of certain lines (such as the Nick toon) in the US. It probably has strict guidelines as to the scales of the figures, etc, etc. Something like the NECA figures was a specific set of figures (Mirage characters) and was not something that Playmates was making, so they weren't in direct competition with NECA. Same holds true for things such as bobbleheads, mini figures, etc.

Revoltech is an Asian company that doesn't produce toys for the USA and Playmates probably doesn't have much say so in other regions. However, IF the revoltech figures were widely available in the US at retailers such as Walmart, Target, Toys R Us, etc, then Playmates probably could put a halt to them by saying that the Nick figures directly compete with their Nick figures. BUT, it would really depend on the wording of their license with Viacom. An argument could be made that these figures are in different scale, are super-articulated, etc, and are premium priced figures so they aren't in direct competition. It really would depend on their Viacom contract.

I am not privy to the contract details so I can't speak for either side (Revoltech or Playmates). But the TMNT brand is NOT owned by Playmates nor is it something they have control of. However, they do have a very lucrative deal with Viacom for producing lots of TMNT merchandise and I'm sure there are many clauses in that contract which prohibits OTHER companies from directly competing with Playmates for the same type of toy. Funko's "mystery mini's" do not compete directly with Playmates Nick toys as they are different types of figures. Revoltech's toyline though may be too close to what Playmates produces though and would probably infringe upon their contract rights with Viacom.

Rick

PS: WHEN ARE THESE THINGS GOING TO GO UP FOR PRE-ORDER!!!!!????? I WANT THEM NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
rickwj324 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
japan