The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Everything Else

Notices

Old 02-11-2018, 01:08 AM   #301
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

It goes both ways.

On the one hand there's the people who ask who created God if he exists, while on the other hand, some people ask non-believers where the Universe came from as if all Atheists believe that the Universe had a beginning.

They are both FAKE assumptions.

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 01:11 AM   #302
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie View Post
Back to jaded cynicism and sarcasm, I see. It never fails. A very nihilistic worldview, with no room for mystey or the unexplained to expand said view. A pity. Life IS mystery- it is beyond the simple mechanics of atom and cell and sinew, it is also pure energy contained and harnessed to create thought and emotion- something science ALONE still cannot explain nor understand fully- and likely never will. What makes one mind different from any other? It's not the physical neurons. They are simply conduits. They direct the impulses along paths through the brain, nothing more. So what IS thought and memory, then? I'll tell you; it is the essence of Spirit. Spirit is what truly makes us who we are as individuals, not just our genes. Those genes are the building blocks, to be sure, but without our minds, we are still just a collection of parts cobbled together.

You seem to dismiss anything you can't explain or understand as childish, but the truth is you have only just scratched the surface of what IS. You are right about one thing- everything IS connected, and all of the power of creation exists within a seed, or an egg, or an unborn child. Each has within it all that it will ever need to become what it is meant to be, whether that be bird, human, or rosebush. Each grows and changes in so many ways, yet still is exactly what it was intended to be by its genes. And you don't see the wonder inherent in the system? I just can't even imagine what it must be like to live in your head. Rather dull and depressing, I'm sure. You've lost all the joy and mystery in life, and replaced it with hollow and empty mechanical processes. How sad. You seem about as close to an emotionless shell as a person can get, dependant entirely on the empty box of logic and cold reason without dreams or hope. Pandora wants her box back, friend.
I see. You just a religious zealot. You substitute fictional deities with "magics" and "spirits". How utterly boring and unoriginal.
There is nothing "cynical" and "jaded" about seeing the world without rose-tinted lenses with flying unicorns farting rainbows and "magic weaves".

You call me just a "shell of person, incapable of feeling joy and dreaming", which is very typical of generic religious zealot, who can't comprehend views of others. And just like any religious zealot, you are smugly trying to convince me, that I don't understand this world and can't comprehend it properly without believing in your ridicolous nonsense.

But the truth is, seeing this world from the logical point of view, appreciating its inner mechanics and seeing reason and consequences, doesn't make me appreciate it less. If anything, I can appreciate it much more than so called "believers", because, I don't need "magics" to see how beautiful and wonderful this world.

I see flower, and I think how many things led to its appearance, how many things, purely logical, purely mechanical, beautiful in its simplicity, yet, complex, when combined into system, led to its existence. This is much more beautiful and interesting, rather than ridiculous "magics".

I dream and I feel. And I don't need infantile nonsense to do that. I think, when it comes to reality I am much more in tune with it, because, I can understand, see the inner logistics of the world, see how futile and chaotic everything, yet organized, limited, but endless, where others see only fictional monsters and "magic weaves".

Using logic doesn't mean being emotionless. It doesn't mean being incapable of dreams. You trying to convince me in this because you feel that I do not submit to your smug arrogance and it makes you angry and afraid. Sorry, my dear, I didn't submitted to many other religions and ideologies throughout my life. And your nonsense won't be exception.

It doesn't make me less of a person and it doesn't make incapable of being human. Only someone deeply afraid of being a liar (to themselves) would suggest something like this. But people like you NEED to be right at any cost. You can not just allow someone else to exist without submitting to you nonsense. You need to justify your views by making others believe in it too, otherwise you feel lonely and almost lost.

I am not of your kind. Never was and never will be.

Quote:
Here's a thought for you to chew on- those without something to give their lives meaning and purpose are more likely to become suicidal and chronically depressed. Seems that when life is pointless, people tend not to feel inclined to continue it. But that's just an observation.
But where I have said that life is not worth living?

Yes, every life is ultimately pointless, because, all of us will die, all what we have done will be lost to time.

However, all of those doesn't mean that life is not worth living.
Admire the beauty of nature. Admire the beauty of people. Live your life for those you love or just for yourself. For tasty cakes, good movies and the like, if you want.

I admit that in grand scheme of things my life is absolutely meaningless, but, if anything, it makes me more inclined to appreciate what I have here and now, rather than dreaming of "oneness" and other non-existing nonsense. If anything, your proclamations about "oneness", "living through your children", sounds more like an inept attempts to calm yourself, in the face of an eternal abyss.

Quote:
You say you have accepted a meaningless existance? Well, I hope you have something worth living for. I certainly do, and it has nothing to do with whether or not my mind will continue as part of the universe as a conscious being. When I die, my body will return to its components, and will thus continue the cycle of all matter and energy. Nothing lost or destroyed, only the form changes. Natural and simple. What the form(s) will be, I neither know, nor care. That part is unimportant. Could be in a cat, or a stormcloud, or a tree. Or even the person who becomes President after I am gone. I'd like to think some part of DaVinci or Socrates is in ALL of us, which is actually kind of comforting to think that they are still with us in some way. Atomic immortality!
Ah, another futile attempt to calm yourself.

Quote:
For the record, you throw words like "magic" around without any idea what they truly mean. Magic(k- this not the same thing as David Copperfield's stage tricks) is just another word for what we do not yet understand about nature and physics. It is both real and tangible, and opperates under the same rules as the rest of the universe. It is causality by design. One thing begets another, through chain of effect. Like a stone creating ripples in water. The exact end result might be unknown, but the path is clear if one knows what to look for. The pattern changes, but the rules of it remain constant. You of all people should be able to appreciate that.
Ah, yes, yes. Soon you will start saying that we have fairies living in the forests or elves hiding in the mountains.

As I have said, already, I appreciate the world, I just don't need to express my appreciation through such uncouth and childish termin like "magic".
Instead, I prefer to call it for what it is - reason and consequences, mechanics and chaos.
You won't comprehend it. And I deeply sorry for you because of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
One of the many things that drove me away from the Catholic church was the concept of a capricious monotheistic god.
That the divine fell victim to human emotional states always seemed far better suited to polytheistic religions.

If there's only one Supreme Being what does that Supreme Being have to be envious about?
What would it have an ego in need of stroking?

I could more easily get behind the concept of an indifferent creator, or even just slapping the name god onto the laws of physics.

But that's me.
It must be soon start raining donuts! I and PC are agree on something!

This point was actually one of those that have driven me from religions. That and books on Astronomy and Zoology, which I was reading since I was 6 year old.

If such creature who is capable of creating galaxies with a mere snap of a fingers, than why it would care about people? Why it would have any human-like logic or emotions? Such creature should operate on completely different level of consciousness, of understanding of the world than any creature of flesh and mortal desires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Like the concept of infinity itself, it's pretty hard for people to wrap their heads around. "But... what came BEFORE it? How did it BEGIN?"

Maybe nothing came before it. Maybe it never began. Maybe it's just always been and will always be.
Yep.
Infinity is too big for many minds to comprehend. So their opt to believe that there was definite beginning. It makes me laugh very very much.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 02:30 AM   #303
Leonardo_thebest
Banned

If I were a believer, I'd want more proof than what's on offer, backed up with hard evidence. So far there's nothing.

I will say there's a sort of hypnotic tone people take when they believe and are reciting their beliefs to non-believers. It's very uncomfortable.
Leonardo_thebest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 12:03 PM   #304
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post
I see. You just a religious zealot. You substitute fictional deities with "magics" and "spirits". How utterly boring and unoriginal.
There is nothing "cynical" and "jaded" about seeing the world without rose-tinted lenses with flying unicorns farting rainbows and "magic weaves".

You call me just a "shell of person, incapable of feeling joy and dreaming", which is very typical of generic religious zealot, who can't comprehend views of others. And just like any religious zealot, you are smugly trying to convince me, that I don't understand this world and can't comprehend it properly without believing in your ridicolous nonsense.

But the truth is, seeing this world from the logical point of view, appreciating its inner mechanics and seeing reason and consequences, doesn't make me appreciate it less. If anything, I can appreciate it much more than so called "believers", because, I don't need "magics" to see how beautiful and wonderful this world.

I see flower, and I think how many things led to its appearance, how many things, purely logical, purely mechanical, beautiful in its simplicity, yet, complex, when combined into system, led to its existence. This is much more beautiful and interesting, rather than ridiculous "magics".

I dream and I feel. And I don't need infantile nonsense to do that. I think, when it comes to reality I am much more in tune with it, because, I can understand, see the inner logistics of the world, see how futile and chaotic everything, yet organized, limited, but endless, where others see only fictional monsters and "magic weaves".

Using logic doesn't mean being emotionless. It doesn't mean being incapable of dreams. You trying to convince me in this because you feel that I do not submit to your smug arrogance and it makes you angry and afraid. Sorry, my dear, I didn't submitted to many other religions and ideologies throughout my life. And your nonsense won't be exception.

It doesn't make me less of a person and it doesn't make incapable of being human. Only someone deeply afraid of being a liar (to themselves) would suggest something like this. But people like you NEED to be right at any cost. You can not just allow someone else to exist without submitting to you nonsense. You need to justify your views by making others believe in it too, otherwise you feel lonely and almost lost.

I am not of your kind. Never was and never will be.

But where I have said that life is not worth living?

Yes, every life is ultimately pointless, because, all of us will die, all what we have done will be lost to time.

However, all of those doesn't mean that life is not worth living.
Admire the beauty of nature. Admire the beauty of people. Live your life for those you love or just for yourself. For tasty cakes, good movies and the like, if you want.

I admit that in grand scheme of things my life is absolutely meaningless, but, if anything, it makes me more inclined to appreciate what I have here and now, rather than dreaming of "oneness" and other non-existing nonsense. If anything, your proclamations about "oneness", "living through your children", sounds more like an inept attempts to calm yourself, in the face of an eternal abyss.

Ah, another futile attempt to calm yourself.

Ah, yes, yes. Soon you will start saying that we have fairies living in the forests or elves hiding in the mountains.

As I have said, already, I appreciate the world, I just don't need to express my appreciation through such uncouth and childish termin like "magic".
Instead, I prefer to call it for what it is - reason and consequences, mechanics and chaos.
You won't comprehend it. And I deeply sorry for you because of that.

It must be soon start raining donuts! I and PC are agree on something!

This point was actually one of those that have driven me from religions. That and books on Astronomy and Zoology, which I was reading since I was 6 year old.

If such creature who is capable of creating galaxies with a mere snap of a fingers, than why it would care about people? Why it would have any human-like logic or emotions? Such creature should operate on completely different level of consciousness, of understanding of the world than any creature of flesh and mortal desires.

Yep.
Infinity is too big for many minds to comprehend. So their opt to believe that there was definite beginning. It makes me laugh very very much.

Well, I wasn't going to put up a detailed reply to all this, because frankly I'm disgusted by the continued insistence that yours is the only "right" view- which I have never stated, unlike you- but it is clear that you simply can't grasp any point of view that doesn't agree with yours. Not only do you have NO CLUE about what my faith actually entails, but you insist on jumping to ridiculous conclusions and mocking said faith based only on- what? Hollywood interpretations of it? Just laughable to assume you know ANYTHING about what it IS or is not. There are no unicorns farting rainbows (thanks, Deadpool), or whatever you seem to think. It is the reverence and respect for nature and the divinity inherent within ALL life through one's connection to the Web of Life, and the Weave is simply the intricate workings of nature and the universe in harmony with will and intent. Nothing more or less.

Funny, I also have studied astronomy and biology since I was very young, and in fact I've done a great deal of personal research and regularly read articles on both. Nat Geo and Discovery are two of my favorite publications, along with Scientific American, Smithsonian, and a few others of repute. I also pick up books on animal behavior, genetics, and other subjects whenever our local library has a book sale. People donate all sorts of interesting subjects, and I can usually pick up a dozen or so reference books for less than five bucks. My personal home library looks like a science and history reference department in a university....

More psycho-babble deflection. Thanks. Good to see nothing has changed there. No, I do not need to "calm myself" with visions of elves or unicorns or whatever other fantasy you've concocted here. More snide condescension. Basically exactly what I expect from you at this point. Predictable. Please take your intellectual snobbishness elsewhere, please- it's getting old.

Your incredibly self-aggrandizing and sneering attitude toward something you do not understand or respect as a valid interpretation of reality has been abundantly evident for a while now. You use nothing but mockery and misdirection, or psuedo-science to argue points when you clearly have no real understanding of the subject- in this case, you know absolutely NOTHING of what faith or spirituality truly means. So sure of yourself, are you? Good for you, sweetie, but don't go calling the rest of us "insecure children", because we believe that there just MIGHT be something more to the universe than what science is capable of understanding at present. To quote Shakespeare, "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio...." But of course, that just doesn't compute, for you. Because you CAN'T comprehend it, for whatever reason. You've made cold logic (and flawed logic at that) your "god". I get it. Scientology might be a good match for you, you'd probably fit right in.

I'm ending this here, because I'm getting tired of that smug and superior attitude you accuse ME of having, when in fact you are the one who is sneering and mocking the validity of beliefs and faith of everyone else in this thread. You clearly have NO place in a discussion on religious beliefs, so why not just go elsewhere and let us discuss points in peace? Or did you come here JUST to stir up more dung, as you seem to enjoy doing? I do not claim to have all the answers to everything in the universe, but you certainly seem to think YOU do! Hope that works out for you, dearie. Because you have done nothing but step on other people's beliefs and treat everyone who professes any sort of faith as "children" who "need calming" whatever the heck that means. It's insulting and demeaning to everyone in the discussion. Please stop. If you don't like the views expressed or have anything positive to contribute to the discussion beyond "I don't believe in any of that, it's all stupid fairy tales!"- well, there are plenty of other threads to participate in.

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 12:22 PM   #305
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Everyone who is religious and spiritual here, lets agree not to take the belief of others personally because it comes down to their free will and we are not responsible for them.

Everyone who is Atheist, lets agree to not get take the beliefs of religious people personally since it is all hardwired into their brain chemistry and we are not responsible for them.

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
Old 02-11-2018, 12:39 PM   #306
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Sumac and MsMarvelDuckie, I think you two are just going around and around in a version of the glass half-full/half-empty debate. I don't know that people change their fundamental world view so readily, it's something that's largely ingrained in us by the time we reach adulthood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemer View Post
As far as macro evolution, yes essentially I don't believe in species evolving into an entirely new species like Apes to Humans and the primary reason is from a lack of evidence. Basically I believe there should be some in-between species living today instead of just apes and humans.
But I do understand why that sounds weird, believing in macro, but not micro. lol

And as far as Bacteria they are far to different from mammals to be ancestors or mammals or any complex organism imo.
May I ask how many different kinds of dogs do you think there are? I find that looking at dogs and selective breeding is a useful way to help understand how evolution works and can lead to one species diverging into two or more species over time and many generations.

Last edited by ProphetofGanja; 02-11-2018 at 01:07 PM.
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 12:56 PM   #307
sdp
Megan Fox = April

I'm very spiritual and also very much into science, but these things are not different. If you want to categorize me I'd likely fall under agnostic. I believe our minds are too small to comprehend the universe we live in. but also that science is extremely limited and cannot account for all the things we can sense and feel. I don't have any answers but neither does any religion or science.

I don't care what religion you are either, but only as long as you're not affecting other people which sadly isn't the case for the most part and I do think the world would be better without having "personal" gods but the trend is that those are dying down. I am annoyed by the average atheist who spouts things he doesn't even understand but zealots just cause so much harm to the world.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 06:03 PM   #308
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProphetofGanja View Post

This quote is actually in large part exactly my point. Another one that I feel fits is this: "We are disconnected from nature. We are wounded from the spirit outward and that has caused the largest majority of the problems that plague the world today."- Diane Sylvan

Or this: "Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of Spirituality. When we recognize our place in the immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. So are our emotions in the presence of great art or music or literature, or acts of exemplary selfless courage such as those of Mohandas Ghandi or Martin Luther King Jr. The notion that science and spirituality are somehow mutially exclusive does a disservice to both."- Carl Sagan

Or this: "Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world."- Albert Einstein

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
I'm very spiritual and also very much into science, but these things are not different. If you want to categorize me I'd likely fall under agnostic. I believe our minds are too small to comprehend the universe we live in. but also that science is extremely limited and cannot account for all the things we can sense and feel. I don't have any answers but neither does any religion or science.

I don't care what religion you are either, but only as long as you're not affecting other people which sadly isn't the case for the most part and I do think the world would be better without having "personal" gods but the trend is that those are dying down. I am annoyed by the average atheist who spouts things he doesn't even understand but zealots just cause so much harm to the world.

Bingo! He gets it. No religion has all the answers, though some claim to. But neither does science alone. But when one can see the two as seperate sides of the same coin and understand that science and spirituality go hand in hand to give us a more complete understanding of life, we grow as individuals and gain a greater sense of our place in the cosmos. And it truly IS wonderous.

Old 02-12-2018, 07:09 AM   #309
newfan
Mad Scientist

I also think SDP makes a valid point so far as what we know is concerned and that pushing from either end of the scale can be annoying, to be fair I have experienced that with only very few people (on both sides), otherwise I find discussion on various views interesting.
I don't know how far the term agnostic stretches so far as using it to describe myself goes. I can appreciate the non-religious view and that there could be no more for us outside of this life but also I do have an interest in Spirituality and am open to the existence of 'something'.

Last edited by newfan; 02-12-2018 at 10:20 AM.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 08:12 PM   #310
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Well, I wasn't going to put up a detailed reply to all this, because frankly I'm disgusted by the continued insistence that yours is the only "right" view- which I have never stated, unlike you- but it is clear that you simply can't grasp any point of view that doesn't agree with yours. Not only do you have NO CLUE about what my faith actually entails, but you insist on jumping to ridiculous conclusions and mocking said faith based only on- what? Hollywood interpretations of it? Just laughable to assume you know ANYTHING about what it IS or is not. There are no unicorns farting rainbows (thanks, Deadpool), or whatever you seem to think. It is the reverence and respect for nature and the divinity inherent within ALL life through one's connection to the Web of Life, and the Weave is simply the intricate workings of nature and the universe in harmony with will and intent. Nothing more or less.
You disrespect and insult me and my views, by constantly implying that I some kind of "damaged goods" that "can't properly feel, dream and live" just because I have different views from yours. Unlike you, I have nowhere implied that you are some kind of "emotinally damaged sucidal depressed person", because of your opinions. If you don't see how this might sound as an insult you'd better think again. Especially if you want to start blaming someone for arrogance and smugness.

As for your "views" - as I see them as a romanticized nonsense. "Magic weaves", "divinity" - it sounds like glamorous books from XIX century from Victorian England.

I do respect nature, just don't see it necessary to ascribe to it some kind of "divinity". For me mechanics behind it are more than enough to respect it and find it infinitely curious and interesting.
Also, there is another thing - unlike superstitious nonsense, understanding of those mechanics can be put to use by humans. In fact, that what humanity did throughout all its history.

Quote:
Your incredibly self-aggrandizing and sneering attitude toward something you do not understand or respect as a valid interpretation of reality has been abundantly evident for a while now. You use nothing but mockery and misdirection, or psuedo-science to argue points when you clearly have no real understanding of the subject- in this case, you know absolutely NOTHING of what faith or spirituality truly means. So sure of yourself, are you? Good for you, sweetie, but don't go calling the rest of us "insecure children", because we believe that there just MIGHT be something more to the universe than what science is capable of understanding at present. To quote Shakespeare, "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio...." But of course, that just doesn't compute, for you. Because you CAN'T comprehend it, for whatever reason. You've made cold logic (and flawed logic at that) your "god". I get it. Scientology might be a good match for you, you'd probably fit right in.
Do I need to drink poison, to understand that it kills? Nope.
I have encountered so called "spirituality" and it was nothing, but fanatics with crazy ideas or cheaters using and abusing those of weak minds.

I accept idea, that we don't know everything about the world, but what we don't know sooner or later will be figured out by science and not crazy spirits and magics. Neither it will have anything to do with those.

Quote:
I'm ending this here, because I'm getting tired of that smug and superior attitude you accuse ME of having, when in fact you are the one who is sneering and mocking the validity of beliefs and faith of everyone else in this thread. You clearly have NO place in a discussion on religious beliefs, so why not just go elsewhere and let us discuss points in peace? Or did you come here JUST to stir up more dung, as you seem to enjoy doing? I do not claim to have all the answers to everything in the universe, but you certainly seem to think YOU do! Hope that works out for you, dearie. Because you have done nothing but step on other people's beliefs and treat everyone who professes any sort of faith as "children" who "need calming" whatever the heck that means. It's insulting and demeaning to everyone in the discussion. Please stop. If you don't like the views expressed or have anything positive to contribute to the discussion beyond "I don't believe in any of that, it's all stupid fairy tales!"- well, there are plenty of other threads to participate in.
I never once in a while said that I have all the answers.
Just doubted yours. Which seems you don't take kindly. Which brings me back to thinking about people who worship some other stuff...

Where is my place - it's not for you to decide. You don't like my arguments and me? Guess, what: I am not part of your fanclub either. However, I somehow can tolerate you and not to tell that you should get some psychological help or leave thread, because, you don't share my opinions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProphetofGanja View Post
picture
Logical understanding of the world on no way shape or form can hamper emotions.
Much like understanding how your favorite tea spoon is made, won't rob you of ability to dream.

Quote:
Bingo! He gets it. No religion has all the answers, though some claim to. But neither does science alone. But when one can see the two as seperate sides of the same coin and understand that science and spirituality go hand in hand to give us a more complete understanding of life, we grow as individuals and gain a greater sense of our place in the cosmos. And it truly IS wonderous.
Sounds like your typical religious advertising.

"Bored of your existence? Tired from pesky logic and science everywhere? Want (vague) answers for all questions and learn about mysteries of the Universe? Come to us!
We have magics! We have spirits! Total and absolute oneness with nature and enlightmened guaranteed! 200%!!
Call 1-100-MGC-777 now and you will receive a discount and a bonus to obtain YOUR spirituality 20% faster!! Comes with a duck plushie!"

Thanks but no thanks. I prefer to feel one with the nature and, at the same time being aware how and why it works and exists.

Also, apparently purely logical understanding of the world, from position of mechanics and logic, with no "magics and spirits", is offensive to some people. Twice as hilarious since, unlike "magics and spirits" we do know a lot about mechanics of the nature. In fact we using them for our technology day by day.

Then the obvious question: where are computers running on mysterious substance of "spirits"? Where are cars fueled by "magical divinity of nature", which move thanks to the "oneness with the universe"?
Oops, we don't have those. And something tells me, we won't.
Old 03-05-2018, 04:01 AM   #311
Refractive Reflections
Mad Scientist

Time to spice this thread up again...
Refractive Reflections is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 08:11 AM   #312
Sumac
Banned

Of course, I don't believe in this.
Old 03-05-2018, 11:18 AM   #313
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refractive Reflections View Post
Time to spice this thread up again...
Strongly disagree with point 1 about the world being unjust but I think he makes very good arguements in point 2 about non-physical reality.

By the end, it looks like his arguement is that not believing in afterlife would drive him insane, so he chooses to believe in one because he can't stand to see the suffering in the world. By that logic, shouldn't the idea of an afterlife drive him even crazier since hell is way more painful and brutal than anything in this world? (and eternal)

Old 03-05-2018, 12:09 PM   #314
Sumac
Banned

"World being unjust"...what a laughable argument for, like, anything.

World, objective reality, doesn't give a **** about justice or injustice. Those are entirely man-made concepts. Reality is survival of the smartest / fittest + good dose of chaos.
Old 03-05-2018, 12:12 PM   #315
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 12:51 PM   #316
Vegita-San
Emperor

All I know is, I believe in science first and for most. it has to be proven without a doubt to exist in quantifiable forms. if not, it's just a fun story.

That being said, I am open, and HOPEFUL, there is more out there. I just don't blindly believe it just because some organization tells me too.

Things like religious tradition I think are goofy and made up on the fly just to keep followers in line. I would like to think if their IS a god, he won't send you to hell just for not doing one thing the religion tells you to do. and that he'd probably agree with you that it was something stupid humans created and is best avoided.

I'm more open to the idea of spirits existing. I've had far too many un explained things happen to discount it entirely...that I don't think can be explained logically. Seeing a blue neon light float in the kitchen and dissapear in the bathroom for instance at 9PM at night. Having things move on their own and get thrown. But, I have yet to see anything visual that prove to me ghosts exist...so all I Have is hope that there is something out there after. If not ghosts, we evolve to some other plain that our reality interprets as ghosts.

I'm also open to the idea of aliens. Think about it. we have THOUSANDS of Different, exotic species living on this planet alone. Either we really ARE the only one out there, and alien life doesn't exist because we haven't spread it around yet and let it evolve.....or it's out there, and it's just tougher to get in contact than one would hope. I don't think it'll be solved in my lifetime though.

So basically, I believe in science. need things proven to me and don't believe blindly. but I AM open to a higher power. kind of nice to think about. but i'd have lots of questions for them if I ever meet them.

'Wrong, April. We've Been upgraded to Women hating TROLLS'

?The force is not female, the force is not male, the force is for everyone?
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 02:10 PM   #317
Sumac
Banned

I do believe in aliens.
Not in the grey guys, with big cute eyes, but in general idea of alien life forms existence somewhere in the universe.

Statistical probability of existence of any life in the universe is too much to be ignored.
Old 03-05-2018, 03:45 PM   #318
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post

I'm more open to the idea of spirits existing. I've had far too many un explained things happen to discount it entirely...that I don't think can be explained logically. Seeing a blue neon light float in the kitchen and dissapear in the bathroom for instance at 9PM at night. Having things move on their own and get thrown.
That's probably a sign of paranoia or your anxiety disorder making you hallucinate or imagine things that aren't happening. Most normal people don't think objects in their home get picked up and thrown on their own.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 09:00 PM   #319
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Not neccessarily, Cubed. I've seen enough weird and unexplained s**t in my life to accept the very strong possibility of paranormal activity as very real and concrete. YMMV, of course, but when SOMETHING pushes you down a flight of stairs or throws objects at you or in your presence, it's a pretty good sign that there is SOMETHING beyond what we perceive as "reality". And it has nothing to do with believing in unicorns or stupid s**t as some would claim, it is based on REAL, empirical EVIDENCE. And personal experience of several incidents with multiple witnesses.

Old 03-05-2018, 09:12 PM   #320
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Is it true that when you talk to God, its prayer but when God talks to you, its schizophrenia?

Tags
jesushtapdancingchrist