The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 12-31-2021, 06:44 PM   #1
Allio
Foot Elite

Ultraman creators vow not to make changes for Western Audiences.

https://boundingintocomics.com/2021/...-identity/amp/

With all this stuff of how foreign products are changed for a western market, I thought would be good to post about.
Old 01-02-2022, 04:49 AM   #2
Stephen
Hench Mutant

Were they unhappy with how Ultraman was handled by 4kids back in the early 2000s?
Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 07:45 AM   #3
Allio
Foot Elite

The 4kids dub just never gets acknowledged. Probably doesn’t help that Tiga has bigger issues thanks to the company “Johnny’s and associates” that keeps it and Ultraman Dyna from getting streamed.
Old 01-02-2022, 07:57 AM   #4
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Well it's most likely because ultraman has never been able to get "big" around the world outside the original show which ironically would be the most Japanese one. They're probably frustrated that they've tried to make it more appealing to the west in various incarnations that they resent it and said "**** it" we'll do what we want without thinking of them, which is likely the best decision but still seems silly the way they said it.

I love tokusatsu but Ultraman always felt that it had too high of a level of entry for me, the concept seems really silly, I don't like the suits and I feel overwhelmed by the dozens and dozens of shows/content already out there so I just avoid it. I do feel compelled to watch some Ultraman when people recommend it so highly for me and I also felt similarly with Kamen Rider and now I'm a huge fan.

I'm most likely going to be watching Shin Ultraman as my first Ultraman thing ever so hopefully it's good and I'll see from there if I decide to check out other Ultraman stuff.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 10:29 AM   #5
Bahamut810
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allio View Post
https://boundingintocomics.com/2021/...-identity/amp/

With all this stuff of how foreign products are changed for a western market, I thought would be good to post about.
Good. I want Japan to stand up to cultural imperialism every day of the week.
Bahamut810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 11:21 AM   #6
Allio
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
Well it's most likely because ultraman has never been able to get "big" around the world outside the original show which ironically would be the most Japanese one. They're probably frustrated that they've tried to make it more appealing to the west in various incarnations that they resent it and said "**** it" we'll do what we want without thinking of them, which is likely the best decision but still seems silly the way they said it.

I love tokusatsu but Ultraman always felt that it had too high of a level of entry for me, the concept seems really silly, I don't like the suits and I feel overwhelmed by the dozens and dozens of shows/content already out there so I just avoid it. I do feel compelled to watch some Ultraman when people recommend it so highly for me and I also felt similarly with Kamen Rider and now I'm a huge fan.

I'm most likely going to be watching Shin Ultraman as my first Ultraman thing ever so hopefully it's good and I'll see from there if I decide to check out other Ultraman stuff.
Have you tried any of the Ultra Q stuff? Those might work. And there are only like 3 of those (the original, Dark fantasy and Neo Ultra Q) and they don’t use Ultraman at all (considering Ultraman came out after the original Ultra Q)

Last edited by Allio; 01-04-2022 at 11:28 AM.
Allio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 06:43 PM   #7
Powder
So tired of this place

Tsubaraya still rules.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 09:38 AM   #8
Allio
Foot Elite

I do wish we would get more Tsuburaya heroes outside of the Ultra franchise. Outside of Gridman, largely thanks to the Gridman Universe anime, none of them are really relevant.