The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 03-23-2020, 01:56 PM   #521
Egon1982
Hench Mutant

Who agrees this franchise is dead and should remain dead as it's been nothing but diminishing returns after T2 and that T2 was the true end of the story?
Egon1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 03:46 PM   #522
frank_one
Mad Scientist

It's dead and in the coffin. Until someone decides it's not.
frank_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 04:45 AM   #523
Wildcat
Foot Elite

I really don't like bumping topics especially this far back but I finally saw this and since it was a big discussion I wanted to give my review I guess.

I thought it was very entertaining but like I've said before I've enjoyed all them. They could make 100 and I'd probably enjoy them. I just don't get tired of the whole "unbeatable robot thing".

As for the movie itself I think it's as good as any of the others. The only real problem of course is it's basically the same as T2 and the first T3.

Most of us agree it needs to get on with the war but aside from that, just in the context of this its weird that Miller/Cameron were against the other sequels but pretty much copied everything they did.

I know people were upset about John being killed off but I said before it DOES make sense a Terminator could easily complete the mission. The only reason it does not is for the sake of a movie but that's off topic.

I absolutely loved the T800/Carl. He was hilarious. Don't keep your phone in a bag of chips and explaining how to decorate a room. His delivery was great

The other thing though is they actually used the idea I posted awhile back...about a terminator killing the hero but then grows to appreciate humans when it moves on. Same exact idea I posted somewhere here.

I don't care what anyone says I loved everything they did with the T800. This was the only really creative thing they did with the movie.

Linda Hamilton was good but at the same time felt like Sarah was too sarcastic. Her let me show you how it's done demeanor. I know it fits considering what the character has been through but it was kind of poured on.

A better connection would have been if Dani was a distant relative in the same bloodline or something. So even though Skynet changed Legion was still linked to the Connors in some weird way. Like it was their fate too.
Old 10-02-2020, 05:20 AM   #524
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat View Post
I really don't like bumping topics especially this far back but I finally saw this and since it was a big discussion I wanted to give my review I guess.
I see no need to create a new T6 thread. Especially... given the movie. You did good.

Quote:
I thought it was very entertaining but like I've said before I've enjoyed all them. They could make 100 and I'd probably enjoy them. I just don't get tired of the whole "unbeatable robot thing".
I do. It worked in T1 and against the T-800. As in, we know "they have a chance." After that, they've been obsessed with god-like robots that there's no way in hell people can defend against.

Quote:
As for the movie itself I think it's as good as any of the others. The only real problem of course is it's basically the same as T2 and the first T3.
Not as good as the others. At best, it's below T3 in what it tried to do.

Quote:
Most of us agree it needs to get on with the war but aside from that, just in the context of this its weird that Miller/Cameron were against the other sequels but pretty much copied everything they did.
Yes. It was a greatest hits from all of them while also... oddly, nullifying them. Making all of them not matter. Even the two they were trying to idolize.

Quote:
I know people were upset about John being killed off but I said before it DOES make sense a Terminator could easily complete the mission. The only reason it does not is for the sake of a movie but that's off topic.
Sure. It just doesn't make for a good Terminator series movie watching experience.

Quote:
The other thing though is they actually used the idea I posted awhile back...about a terminator killing the hero
Which they already did back in T3. With the T-850 killing John in the future. Recycled garbage.

Quote:
So even though Skynet changed Legion was still linked to the Connors in some weird way. Like it was their fate too.
We'll never know. They went too woke and got too broke.

And it's such a weird choice. Like, "What if... we completely make everything that happened in not only the first two films that everyone loves, but all 5 completely not matter? And just make like this mystery box new future judgement day thing where we have no idea about anything?" Like, who would care about such a thing? Were they banking on non-Terminator fans tuning in or something, yet beg Linda Hamilton to come back? Weird. So weird, on all fronts.

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 10-05-2020 at 12:08 AM.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 05:59 AM   #525
Wildcat
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
I do. It worked in T1 and against the T-800 in T2. As in, we know "they have a chance." After that, they've been obsessed with god-like robots that there's no way in hell people can defend against.
Well ya but I still get excited when a terminator reveals itself, seemingly nothing can stop it and the guardian is only one that can really challenge it. I’m just a sucker for it I guess.

Quote:
Which they already did back in T3. With the T-850 killing John in the future. Recycled garbage.
I was talking about a terminator learning to appreciate humans after moving on. Even becoming a family figure...now I want more T800 daily conversation though haha.

Quote:
We'll never know. They went too woke and got too broke.

And it's such a weird choice. Like, "What if... we completely make everything that happened in not only the first two films that everyone loves, but all 5 completely not matter? And just make like this mystery box new future judgement day thing where we have no idea about anything?" Like, who would care about such a thing? Were they banking on non-Terminator fans tuning in or something, yet beg Linda Hamilton to come back? Weird. So weird, on all fronts.
I don’t wanna get into the woke thing.

If they did plan on Dani being somehow connected to John they should have implied a little just to let audiences know it was not a random replacement. That everything was still linked in some grand way. It included everyone’s fate.

If they get to do a direct follow up to this that’s what I’d like to see.
Old 10-02-2020, 06:05 AM   #526
newfan
Mad Scientist

Slower getting to this one, just caught it last week. I'm going to assume we don't need spoilers this long after a movie is out?

I felt the same as you Andrew with the godlike unbeatable robots, I mean okay they tried a new look and a new ability to split but then I also asked myself if that was necessary, always old robot arnie (also enhanced human in this case) facing an even better robot.

I didn't like that John was killed off, I get that they changed the future which opened the door for a change and John dying was part of Sarah's story but no, when I think of T2 I just think..... after that win he was killed shortly after by an older robot that had been there all that time too.

I found myself feeling the two protectors were having kinda co*k fight, sorry for the description, that was just what came to mind when watching but I suppose they would clash a little before ultimately getting along.

Not sure what I think of Arnie's robot just deciding to settle down with a wife and raise a kid after it had no mission.

Feeling like I am being a bit harsh, if this was the first terminator movie I had seen then I wouldn't have some of the things bugging me obviously, it wasn't boring anyway.

Last edited by newfan; 10-02-2020 at 11:41 AM.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 11:10 AM   #527
Sumac
Banned

I've probably put my opinion on T6 here before, but just in case my 2 cents again: TDF was garbage.

It had recycled everything possible and impossible from the whole franchise, adding very little new and fun and engaging ideas of its own.

It's not even the case of it being "woke": it was a tiny drop of vomit into diarrhea pile, so to speak.
It was basically everything for me, which made me dislike it: story, special effects (in some moments), over the top action scenes, which belong to the Fast & Furious and not a Terminator movie, dumb dialogues and miscast of the main heroine, Dani.

It took all potentially interesting and fun ideas from the past movies, copied them and turned them to ****. It is a rare skill, to have so many good stuff to choose from and turn everything you chose into pile of trash, but somehow Miller and Cam managed to do that.

It is the only awe-worthy thing about this movie.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 02:52 PM   #528
Leo656
The Franchise

Just another experiment in misandrist social conditioning with ultimately no inherent value whatsoever.

It's a two-movie franchise. That's it, that's all.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 12:11 AM   #529
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Well ya but I still get excited when a terminator reveals itself, seemingly nothing can stop it and the guardian is only one that can really challenge it. I’m just a sucker for it I guess.
It was old in T3, and felt only fresh in T2 because the dynamic was flipped (now the robot is the protector).

Quote:
I was talking about a terminator learning to appreciate humans after moving on. Even becoming a family figure...now I want more T800 daily conversation though haha.
They pretty much already did that in T5 with "Pops." He fulfilled his mission then raised Sarah Connor for years. Later on, he took a construction job for years while waiting for Sarah and Kyle to return.

Quote:
If they get to do a direct follow up to this
They won't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post
It's not even the case of it being "woke": it was a tiny drop of vomit into diarrhea pile, so to speak.
Oh, it was woke alright. Filled with angry feminism designed to deconstruct everything these enlightened people decided was "problematic" with the franchise (white male savior, not enough strong womyn, etc.) while at the same time going after modern day stuff, like literally having Border Patrol agents getting ripped apart and blown away on-screen with illegal immigrants in cages in the background.
Old 10-05-2020, 03:08 AM   #530
Wildcat
Foot Elite

Quote:
They pretty much already did that in T5 with "Pops." He fulfilled his mission then raised Sarah Connor for years. Later on, he took a construction job for years while waiting for Sarah and Kyle to return.
Wait, Pops was always good though. He saved her as a kid in the opening right?. Here the Terminator that killed John learned compassion and changed alliance.
Old 10-05-2020, 03:13 AM   #531
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Wait, Pops was always good though. He saved her as a kid in the opening right?. Here the Terminator that killed John learned compassion and changed alliance.
Well, yeah. But the point is, "what does a Terminator do after they fulfill their mission?" In the case of T5, that mission was to save Sarah Connor at a specific point in time, possibly even her parents. Parents died so he decided to become her dad. T6, same thing. Only difference is he was sent to kill John Connor, not protect anybody. When that mission was over... same thing.
Old 10-05-2020, 03:21 AM   #532
Wildcat
Foot Elite

Quote:
Well, yeah. But the point is, "what does a Terminator do after they fulfill their mission?" In the case of T5, that mission was to save Sarah Connor at a specific point in time, possibly even her parents. Parents died so he decided to become her dad. T6, same thing. Only difference is he was sent to kill John Connor, not protect anybody. When that mission was over... same thing.
No the point is an evil terminator learned to like humans on its own. That was the idea I had too. Pops was programmed to protect Sarah.
Old 10-05-2020, 03:23 AM   #533
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Pops was programmed to protect Sarah.
Protect her, yeah. But I doubt the idea was that he was programmed to be her dad. Or work a construction job.
Old 10-05-2020, 03:54 AM   #534
Wildcat
Foot Elite

Quote:
Protect her, yeah. But I doubt the idea was that he was programmed to be her dad. Or work a construction job.
Well she might have taught him to get a job in order to blend into society. The point of interest is that an evil terminator turned good on its own. It regretted killing. Would have been cool to see some of Carl’s backstory instead of just quick explanations.

Anyway I was thinking maybe they could have really changed up the Rev9. I know there’s differences but it’s still very much a Terminator by design.

Since Skynet never happened it would have been cool to have the robot really look like it came from a different timeline. Not just a black skeleton.

It would have differentiated Legion and allowed for a new concept to be introduced. Whatever that might have been. I know it’s meant to match aesthetically but they had an opportunity make Legion something more than Alternate Skynet.
Old 10-05-2020, 12:58 PM   #535
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
I agree with Wildcat here: the circumstances are different.

Pops mission was to protect Sarah and in the process he had become more human. After sending Sarah and Kyle to the future, his mission was not effectively over, since he still needed to protect Sarah, after her return. Working on the job is just part of "infiltration" to better blend with humans. This is the same like in first movie, where T800 had a personal apartment, even though technically he could just hide in the sewers or wherever.

Carl learned "to be human" after his primary mission was over, which is rather different case from Pops.

But I agree, that conceptually those two ideas are the same and both derived from T2. So both are recycled, but TG was there first with terminator becoming almost human-like.

Quote:
Anyway I was thinking maybe they could have really changed up the Rev9. I know there’s differences but it’s still very much a Terminator by design.

Since Skynet never happened it would have been cool to have the robot really look like it came from a different timeline. Not just a black skeleton.

It would have differentiated Legion and allowed for a new concept to be introduced. Whatever that might have been. I know it’s meant to match aesthetically but they had an opportunity make Legion something more than Alternate Skynet.
The whole thing with Legion was a wasted opportunity.

They basically swapped one AI for another and made just another T800-based cyborg. Yeah, REV9 has some unique stuff, like having processor in his chest, ability to separate itself into liquid unit and endoskeleton unit (taken from one of the books, where liquid terminator TXA could separate itself into multiple units) and ability to control machines by "merging" with them, as opposed to injecting nanites a-la TX, but it's still a T800 derived cyborg.
Also its endoskeleton looks goofy.

REV8 was even more weird, what with canine legs and tentacles, but at least it was something "newer", I guess.

There are so many cool concepts they could use from comic books, like T-Infinity, which can travel through time on his own and can teleport. And he has a cool design to boot. Though maybe he looks a bit more like a transformer. Alternate, less buff design.

There are also T900s, terminator-dogs, terminator-kids, giant spider from liquid metal.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 08:47 PM   #536
sdp
Megan Fox = April

I think when a new Terminator movie is eventualy made many years in the future it'll actually try to bring Terminator 3-6 back into the timeline by explaining how they're all canon because of time travel shenanigans and different outcomes.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 09:04 PM   #537
Voltron
Handsomest Boy in School

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
I think when a new Terminator movie is eventualy made many years in the future it'll actually try to bring Terminator 3-6 back into the timeline by explaining how they're all canon because of time travel shenanigans and different outcomes.
I can't WAIT not to watch that.
Old 10-05-2020, 10:25 PM   #538
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
That's what they did with T5 and SkyNET there -- that it's been observing all the timelines and has become self-aware.
Old 10-05-2020, 10:30 PM   #539
Leo656
The Franchise

If it were that self-aware, it would also realize that it's a mathematical impossibility to "win" in every single timeline, and that there will always be timelines in which the machines win and others in which humanity perseveres. Thus, being an AI and therefore operating on logic and not human emotions like "revenge", it wouldn't feel any NEED to hop around between timelines trying to "ensure total victory". It would realize how nonsensical that is.

The whole thing is a stupid, bloated, overwritten mess.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 10:34 PM   #540
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

After T4, they should have just doubled down on the Future War. Do two good Future War movies, then call it quits. No time travel, no timeline dickery, no protector, no Linda Hamilton, just the war we were promised but have barely even seen.

Tags
adayinsidemillerthemovie, cuckwithmeifyouwanttolive, franchise is terminated, hasta la vista cis men, pappenbrooktriggered, terminator: woke fate, the future is female