The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Video Game Discussion

Notices

Old 02-12-2021, 10:06 AM   #21
slashpieturtlemix
Mad Scientist

I still hate the original NES game I also didn't like the smash up game on wii but that was mainly because I felt like they tried to make something good then quit. They could have added so much more to it but all we got was a tmnt game with a ton of raving rabbit characters.
slashpieturtlemix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 12:18 PM   #22
Leo656
The Franchise

Hah! Yeah, that's exactly what "Smash-Up" feels like.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 10:34 AM   #23
CyberCubed
Overlord

All the "classic" games are good, meaning everything from the NES/SNES/Genesis and original Gameboy. Yeah TMNT 1 on NES has some awful difficulty curves, but its plenty playable. The rest are great beat 'em ups and the Tournament Fighters are great.

Obviously once you move on to the PS2/Gamecube/Xbox era and beyond, the games suffer from what most licensed games do, in which they're rushed to the market and the games themselves aren't great. Still they are enjoyable, I had them all in the early 2000's when I was a teen. Although I'd probably get really bored of them quick if I were to play them now.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 10:57 AM   #24
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

The NES game is a classic. The weird thing about it once you beat it, Splinter magically turns back into a human all of a sudden. No explanation why.
Old 02-14-2021, 04:53 PM   #25
Prowler
Emperor

Keep in mind I haven't played every single TMNT game.

I'm going with the Genesis/Mega Drive version of Tournament Fighters. TMNT 2 BattleNexus was also quite a mess.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 05:05 PM   #26
Mad Dog McMutt
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
All the "classic" games are good, meaning everything from the NES/SNES/Genesis and original Gameboy. Yeah TMNT 1 on NES has some awful difficulty curves, but its plenty playable. The rest are great beat 'em ups and the Tournament Fighters are great.

Obviously once you move on to the PS2/Gamecube/Xbox era and beyond, the games suffer from what most licensed games do, in which they're rushed to the market and the games themselves aren't great. Still they are enjoyable, I had them all in the early 2000's when I was a teen. Although I'd probably get really bored of them quick if I were to play them now.
There were a couple of worthy turtle games after the classics like you said. For anyone who doesn't want to dig through the crap to find the good ones I will recommend a few. The 1st and 3rd games of the console versions of the 2003 series are pretty good. The 2nd one is alright but ruined by some difficult parts. I think all 3 of the gameboy advanced games are good. However,the 1st one based off the 2003 series is very short. I had a lot of fun playing danger of the ooze for the 3ds. Even though it is short it reminded me of radical rescue for the gameboy due to the metroidvania style. The other 3ds game based off the 2012 series isn't that bad either but it is kind of bland. Totally worth the 7 bucks I paid for it though. Mutant nightmare for the ds could have been great but there are some super difficult parts that just ruin everything. Maybe somebody looking for a challenge could appreciate it. All the other games I have played aren't worth mentioning. I have yet to play out of the shadows or the remake of turtles in time. I also refuse to play any game involving the hideous Michael Bay turtles.
Mad Dog McMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 05:24 PM   #27
shihe
Hench Mutant

My least favorite is either:

Arcade Attack:
It was a bit bland, and enemies took a LOT and I mean A LOT of hits to defeat. Making the game drag for no reason. Had this award camera angle as well.

Battle Nexus (GBA)
The whole forced crystal finding gimmick was a deal breaker for me, tbh. Also, I think you had to find your weapons first? Awful.

Back from the Sewers (GB)
Turtles have terrible hitboxes, weapons are so short, might as well lose their weapons and just punch. The turtles themselves look pretty derpy, and the bosses have huge heads for some reason.

But taking a step back, I don't think I've played a BAD TMNT game.
Some are clearly much better than others though.
Also completely ignored Bay Turtles games.
shihe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 07:07 PM   #28
DragonSoul
Random Punk

In my opinion the worst TMNT game has to be TMNT Battle Nexus. The Battle Nexus only accounts for a small fraction of the game! The whole story is mainly about snippets of the 4kids cartoon with a small dash of Battle Nexus sprinkled in at the last second. The game's combat, sound design, character design, and animations are poor quality as well. TMNT Battle Nexus is a terrible game because its content has nothing to do with its title and its gameplay is overall just bad.

I too also ignored the odd Bay turtles, that is the obvious first choice for anyone lol.
DragonSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 12:51 PM   #29
Mad Dog McMutt
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonSoul View Post
In my opinion the worst TMNT game has to be TMNT Battle Nexus. The Battle Nexus only accounts for a small fraction of the game! The whole story is mainly about snippets of the 4kids cartoon with a small dash of Battle Nexus sprinkled in at the last second. The game's combat, sound design, character design, and animations are poor quality as well. TMNT Battle Nexus is a terrible game because its content has nothing to do with its title and its gameplay is overall just bad.

I too also ignored the odd Bay turtles, that is the obvious first choice for anyone lol.
Are you talking about the main console version of battle nexus or the gba version?
Mad Dog McMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 08:26 PM   #30
sdp
Megan Fox = April

sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 07:14 PM   #31
Prowler
Emperor

The best thing about TMNT Battle Nexus was having the original TMNT arcade as an unlockable in it. First time you could do play that game outside of an arcade. A shame they removed the voice overs and just used the same two tunes throughout the whole game. But oh well, Konami just didn't have the rights to the OST, I guess.

Slashuur was also an interesting OC as were a few cutscenes created in purpose for the game. I was actually a bit disappointed Slashuur turned out to not exist outside of the game.
Old 02-27-2021, 11:10 AM   #32
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
The best thing about TMNT Battle Nexus was having the original TMNT arcade as an unlockable in it. First time you could do play that game outside of an arcade. A shame they removed the voice overs and just used the same two tunes throughout the whole game. But oh well, Konami just didn't have the rights to the OST, I guess.

Slashuur was also an interesting OC as were a few cutscenes created in purpose for the game. I was actually a bit disappointed Slashuur turned out to not exist outside of the game.

I know some cutscenes have stuff that didn't happen in the show but were animated exclusively for the games. How much original stuff do the 3 2k3 games Konami released have?

I had no idea about slashuur, any other characters even if not main villains?
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 09:28 AM   #33
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
I know some cutscenes have stuff that didn't happen in the show but were animated exclusively for the games. How much original stuff do the 3 2k3 games Konami released have?

I remember the turtlebot had all new cutscenes cause that was before he was in the actual show. The new scenes were drawn kinda simplistic and didn't animate as well as the scenes cut right out of the show.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 09:54 AM   #34
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

I only played 1987 era and 2003 era games aside from Mutants in Manhattan and played them all. The worst was easily the first Nintendo game. The enemies were random and generic instead of foot soldiers of different weapons and I never could get past the second level until I was an adult.

Also, TMNT:Smash Up was so poorly advertised it is the product I cite as the one that let me down the most. I was expecting TMNT characters of all incarnations and all we got was Fugitoid and Utrominator, a made up character with the 2007 film designs. Then there is the Rabbid insertion that was unnecessary. The game mode was so easy I beat it in an hour and the only fun was beating up rabbids at the site of the Technodrome. If it was not teasing reveals of any potential character and the way Ubisoft handled it was upsetting.

I cannot speak for the 2012 related games since I did not play them.
Old 03-02-2021, 01:36 PM   #35
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:

F*ck I remember. I haven't played that game since 2005.

Slashuur was an OG character for the game. He was an utrom in an exosuit who had some backstory with Chrell. He also told the turtles about the Battle Nexus tournament. Which is different from how they found out about it in the 2k3 series.
Old 03-02-2021, 09:21 PM   #36
CyberCubed
Overlord

All the cutscenes for the games are on youtube if you want to see the story again.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 08:06 PM   #37
Prowler
Emperor

Battle Nexus is the best example I can think of of a bad game with a pretty good OST.

I did have fun with the game when I was 14 however. But it had very frustrating parts. And I've never been able to beat every single category in the Battle Nexus tournaments.

Be honest, guys, how many of you used the cheat codes to get through the game at times?
Old 03-05-2021, 02:42 PM   #38
D-ray
Foot Soldier

Mmmmh, very likely the first 2003 game on PS2/Gamecube/Xbox.
It's just like Turtles in Time, but is as long as a Easter church morning (I remember being extremely long when I was a kid). Also, the VS mode is kind of messed up.

Battle Nexus had it's flaws but was a good solid game; and Mutant Nightmare was the best among all of them in my opinion.

I tried the Nes game recently and it's not bad either (except the controls; they are clumsy as hell).
Never played Tournament Fighters, so I can't say if they are bad or not, but I guess they are fine since they are very basic BeatEmUps.
Turtle's in Time and the majority of the arcade TMNT titles are ok. They definitely didn't age well, but they are not bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler
Battle Nexus is the best example I can think of of a bad game with a pretty good OST.

I did have fun with the game when I was 14 however. But it had very frustrating parts. And I've never been able to beat every single category in the Battle Nexus tournaments.

Be honest, guys, how many of you used the cheat codes to get through the game at times?
Omg, Battle Nexus had an insanely great ost. Thanks for noticing it comrade.
About the frustrating part: yes, it is kind of frustrating.
But just because some game mechanics are TERRIBLY explained.
Like, did you actually know that Michelangelo can DEFLECT arrows by guarding?

And don't get me started on my 10 years research on how to get S+ as rank. The game, for whatever reason, counts your Attack and Aerial on which combo you use (???), and the Defence rank is based on how much blows you parry (????????????).

But whatever it ain't that of a bad game tho. The boss fights are probably one of the reasons why I still play it to this very day!

VICTORY!"
D-ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 04:56 PM   #39
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:

Dude. The chick in your signature doing that repeating GIF motion is like the tease of an adult scene that will never pay off.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 05:43 PM   #40
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-ray View Post
Mmmmh, very likely the first 2003 game on PS2/Gamecube/Xbox.
It's just like Turtles in Time, but is as long as a Easter church morning (I remember being extremely long when I was a kid). Also, the VS mode is kind of messed up.

Battle Nexus had it's flaws but was a good solid game; and Mutant Nightmare was the best among all of them in my opinion.

I tried the Nes game recently and it's not bad either (except the controls; they are clumsy as hell).
Never played Tournament Fighters, so I can't say if they are bad or not, but I guess they are fine since they are very basic BeatEmUps.
Turtle's in Time and the majority of the arcade TMNT titles are ok. They definitely didn't age well, but they are not bad.

Omg, Battle Nexus had an insanely great ost. Thanks for noticing it comrade.
About the frustrating part: yes, it is kind of frustrating.
But just because some game mechanics are TERRIBLY explained.
Like, did you actually know that Michelangelo can DEFLECT arrows by guarding?

And don't get me started on my 10 years research on how to get S+ as rank. The game, for whatever reason, counts your Attack and Aerial on which combo you use (???), and the Defence rank is based on how much blows you parry (????????????).

But whatever it ain't that of a bad game tho. The boss fights are probably one of the reasons why I still play it to this very day!
I can't sign off on any of this. When's the last time you played it? I know, I know... 'pinions. I just... I cannot find a single redeeming thing about "Battle Nexus". It was, by far, one of the all-time worst and least-fun experiences I have EVER had in playing video games. If that game was the only game I owned, I'd start collecting stamps. It is so completely goddamn broken.

"Mutant Nightmare" was definitely the best overall of that trilogy, though. But the first one is way better than Battle Nexus. If it weren't for "Spider-Man: Return of the Sinister Six" for NES I think it would be the most hated game in my collection.

I'm sorry, I just can't find anything redeeming or even tolerable about it, and I'm completely baffled as to how anyone could actually enjoy it. I've had bouts of food poisoning that I'd rather revisit before I'd ever play that thing again.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote