The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Nick TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

View Poll Results: Does he suck?
Yes 4 10.26%
No 31 79.49%
No opinion 4 10.26%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-21-2020, 07:25 PM   #1
neatoman
Emperor

Can we all agree Tiger Claw sucks?

So Tiger Claw sucks, right? He stinks of being an attempt to force a breakout character before anyone could have genuinely developedover the course of the show. The character is introduced as "teh greetest muhrzenary evar", with an element to offer some interest in his backstory, has some unique weaponry, he's seemingly killed off early, returns with scars to prove he's a badass, is the voice of reason around Shredder, turns out to have been a circus freak, gets a robot hand and becomes a cult leader towards the end...

... Too bad they were so focused on making him superficially cool, that they actually forgot to give him clear beliefs, actual on-screen development or even a defined personality. You know, stuff that would actually make him a decent character. Hell, what little there is doesn't even make sense, he's a hired gun who knows Shredder isn't stable and yet he's loyal to the point of trying to bring him back to life? And his backstory implies he knew about the Kraang and that people were well aware of mutants, even though all of that comes across as being unknown to everyone else until the events of the series.

With so many characters that were just brought in and dropped without a second thought, why the hell did they keep this poorly thought out garbage heap of a character around for so many episodes?
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 07:28 PM   #2
Powder
So tired of this place

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
With so many characters that were just brought in and dropped without a second thought, why the hell did they keep this poorly thought out garbage heap of a character around for so many episodes?
He was literally Ciro's childhood TMNT OC.

I liked him well enough, personally.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 07:28 PM   #3
Zulithe
Ninjutsu Master

just one of the many TMNT characters that focuses too much on how cool they look when they don't go far enough in making them cool as a character. Oh well, maybe he'll show up in a future iteration of TMNT and they can make some improvements.
Zulithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 07:35 PM   #4
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulithe View Post
just one of the many TMNT characters that focuses too much on how cool they look when they don't go far enough in making them cool as a character. Oh well, maybe he'll show up in a future iteration of TMNT and they can make some improvements.
TigerClaw would be a great edition to IDW with how half of NY turned into Mutants. I could see a version of TigerClaw showing up in the comics.
Old 08-21-2020, 07:38 PM   #5
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
TigerClaw would be a great edition to IDW with how half of NY turned into Mutants. I could see a version of TigerClaw showing up in the comics.
Yeah, he can show up for one panel where Ch'Rell crushes his head to show he means business.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 07:45 PM   #6
IMJ
Emperor

I thought he was a great addition to the mythos.

-shrugs-
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 08:08 PM   #7
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

For a second, I wasn't sure if this was a targeted attack against our fellow 'Drome member or a character critique.
Old 08-21-2020, 08:12 PM   #8
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
For a second, I wasn't sure if this was a targeted attack against our fellow 'Drome member or a character critique.
...Would it honestly change your response either way...?

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 08:42 PM   #9
Shark_Blade
Emperor

I like that grumpy furball.
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 09:01 PM   #10
victory_angel
Foot Elite

I liked him as a character and there could have been so much more they could have done with him, after all, Tigerclaw himself even begins to see the Shredder is crazy.

How about he serves the Shredder for the time, he gets defeated, fights his way back.

Over this time he starts to gain his doubts against the Shredder, but still follows. Bebop and Rocksteady accidentally reveal the turtles have created Retromutagen. Tigerclaw would see how beneficial it could be for them in their fights against the Turtle and Splinter and says they should obtain it from the Turtles and use it as a weapon against them. Or eliminate the Turtle that creates it so the Turtles themselves will no longer be able to have it as an upper hand.

Shredder being short-sighted in his desires for vengeance fails to consider the logic behind this and rejects the idea.

The last straw for him would be when Turtles stop the timeline where their world was destroyed from existing. Tigerclaw chooses to leave the Shredder's service because he saw the Shredder was all to willing to sacrifice the world itself in order to achieve his vengeance.

Then Tigerclaw still remains as an enemy of the Turtles, but he adds the Shredder to his "Beings I seek vengeance upon" list. And follows his own agenda.
Old 08-22-2020, 12:44 AM   #11
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

He was okay... I'm mostly neutral. Didn't hate him, but if he doesn't show up again...meh. He's mostly the uber cool bounty hunter for the kids, though for adults I can see that it may look like they were trying too hard.

Though if it wasn't for the missing parts and getting his ass handed to him sometimes he'd be a bit much on the Gary Stu side.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 03:08 AM   #12
newfan
Mad Scientist

I found him preferable to some other mutant villains, liked him enough.

Last edited by newfan; 08-23-2020 at 11:15 AM.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 03:36 AM   #13
Dejablue
Stone Warrior

Characters don't have to be deep to be entertaining. I liked Tigerclaw for what he was. I will agree it was stupid for anyone to want to resurrect Shredder and I think that moment subtracts alot from his character. No way a supposed self serving bounty hunter would want to resurrect some random guy he worked for. Just find a new guy to work for.

You can do alot with a character like Tigerclaw. A second go with him with more definition would certainly go over well.

^^^^
SHELLHEADS Inc.- A TMNT Discord!
Dejablue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 05:38 AM   #14
newfan
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dejablue View Post
Characters don't have to be deep to be entertaining. I liked Tigerclaw for what he was. I will agree it was stupid for anyone to want to resurrect Shredder and I think that moment subtracts alot from his character. No way a supposed self serving bounty hunter would want to resurrect some random guy he worked for. Just find a new guy to work for.

You can do alot with a character like Tigerclaw. A second go with him with more definition would certainly go over well.
Yeah I feel he could be re-usable depending on the version.

So far as bringing Shredder back, I agree that he might well have moved on at that that point ....or even just wanted to take over himself? I am guessing that they chose him to bring Shredder because he was most loyal to him, unlike other mutants who were bullied by Shredder and scared of him, even though TC questioned Shredder at times he still seemed to hold him in high regard.

Last edited by newfan; 08-22-2020 at 06:47 AM.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 08:28 AM   #15
Vicky82
Emperor

I like Tiger Claw, that fight scene in the meat factory in the episode the Wrath of Tiger Claw was great.

Vicky82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 08:44 AM   #16
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicky82 View Post
I like Tiger Claw, that fight scene in the meat factory in the episode the Wrath of Tiger Claw was great.
With NYC now having more mutants. I can see Karai bringing in TigerClaw into the ranks for the Foot in IDW.
Old 08-22-2020, 10:11 AM   #17
Shark_Blade
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicky82 View Post
The one with Bruce Lee? It’s been a while, I should rewatch it.
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 10:37 AM   #18
garsh
Foot Soldier

2012 Nick Turts was all about spoofing more pop-culture properties into the TMNT universe. It came off to me as brilliantly inline with the fundamental tradition of the material. Casey Jones was obviously a spoof on Jack Burton from Big Trouble in Little China, for example.

Right away Tiger Claw seemed like a very thinly veiled Boba Fett to me. So if you think he's presented as a superficially cool mercenary without any substantial background to justify his image, I'd say they nailed it 100%.
garsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 10:40 AM   #19
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

I would also like to point out that the 2012 series also showed his origin. How he and the 2012 version of Alopex were siblings before the mutation.
Old 08-22-2020, 12:20 PM   #20
The Great Saiyaman
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
The IDW series already has a Tiger Claw counterpart.

Down to the missing eye and I could so hear Eric Bauza recite this dialog.