The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Rise of the TMNT Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 02-01-2018, 02:29 AM   #2701
Papenbrook
*The King of Nothing*

Michelangelo's weapon looks like a burger on a string ... that's attached to a baton.

Last edited by Papenbrook; 02-01-2018 at 02:35 AM.
Old 02-01-2018, 02:30 AM   #2702
CyberCubed
Overlord

I can see how these designs are Samurai Jack inspired, I can easily picture them moving around in animation in the same manner.
Old 02-01-2018, 02:32 AM   #2703
shredder orokusaki
Mad Scientist

But Master Saki you should be glad. If the turtles and especially your enemy Splinter look this bad just think what they would have done to you. By not being on this show you've actually won.[/QUOTE]
I will look much bettter than the turtles especialy if you see me on a high end pc with 4k tv and gtx 1080ti or better! Are you suprised that the turtles look so bad? They are mutants animals. What did you expect? But i will look awesome because i am THE SHREDDER!
Old 02-01-2018, 02:41 AM   #2704
CyberCubed
Overlord

So we had this leaked pic from last year's expo:

And now this official pic:

Definitely seems like the designs were tweaked. Leonardo looks a hell of a lot better now, thank god. Raph's plastron is also much better, and Mike and Don look a bit better too.

Overall seems like they took the criticism of the first reveal to insiders to heart even if the designs are still similar.
Old 02-01-2018, 02:58 AM   #2705
Vicky82
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papenbrook View Post
... And we got our first official photo!

https://ewedit.files.wordpress.com/2...inal.jpg?w=669

(I would like to give my thanks to utromx for linking the article.)
Designs look ok, except for Splinter, I don’t like his design.

I’m on my IPad but is April riding Donnie on some sort of drone.

Old 02-01-2018, 03:00 AM   #2706
Powder
So tired of this place

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Definitely seems like the designs were tweaked. Leonardo looks a hell of a lot better now, thank god. Raph's plastron is also much better, and Mike and Don look a bit better too.

Overall seems like they took the criticism of the first reveal to insiders to heart even if the designs are still similar.
The designs are almost exactly the same, really it's just that they took a lot of Suriano's style out of it in favor of something more sleek. Probably for the best they made those changes, though the original has a certain charm to it that I'm very keen on (because I love Andy's flavor). It went from literally looking like his drawings come to life, to a show whose visual style is based on his concepts. His aesthetic definitely still comes through, in Mikey's face especially, but I almost mourn the original...

Doubt we'll ever see that test footage, but I wish we could!

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy

Last edited by Powder; 02-01-2018 at 03:05 AM.
Old 02-01-2018, 03:05 AM   #2707
CyberCubed
Overlord

Yeah. Another thing to notice is it seems like the mystic powers actually come from their weapons rather than the Turtles themselves. I kind of like that, it makes it seem like the Turtles themselves won't have any powers which I like.

I'm actually kind of surprised how quickly I've warmed up to these designs. They're stylized but its something I can see working especially in motion.
Old 02-01-2018, 03:06 AM   #2708
Raptor86
Stone Warrior

Mind you the turtles are from different species this time:

Donnie: softshell turtle
Mike: box turtle
Leo: red eared slider
Raph: snapping turtle

Weapons
Donnie: High tech Bo
Mike: Kusari-fundo
Leo: Odachi sword
Raph: tonfas (like in the mirage pre-teen phase!)
Old 02-01-2018, 03:09 AM   #2709
Galactus
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
They actually don't look anything like the Bayturtles. For all the talk of the Turtles wearing clothing, they're actually barely wearing anything.
I'd say they are very influenced by the Bay designs. Don's goggles and wrist communicator and tech covering his shell. Over-sized Raph has a do-rag instead of the traditional bandanna.

The turtles are missing their traditional pads and straps in favor of color coded arm and knee length coverings and their all wearing shorts. I mean I can see why the Bay turtles wore them, it seemed to hide that the shape of their plastrons perhaps would have looked a bit weird but here that not only isn't a problem but they are wearing shorts underneath their plastron.

Also while he's not a turtle Splinter's robe and top knot is a clear nod to the Platinum Dunes Splinter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chabrendeki View Post
I wonder if the new show will have an impact on the IDWverse. The Turtle-designs after a while seemed to resemble the 2k12-Turtles, I can imagine Nick gives an order for IDW to follow suit with the new designs...
Well some IDW artists draw Don with an collapsible electric bo staff and give the turtles nostril slits so the Bay movies had some influence which is relatively minor but the precedent is there that their designs can be altered to create synergy with other current versions of the turtles.

My personal feeling is that this is a bit too far removed from the IDW's style for them to go with designs based on these unless Nickelodeon pushes for it. More likely that if Tom Waltz watches the show and likes it (or parts of it) he will introduce elements from the show into the book like he did with Pigeon Pete.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
You know who you have to thank for that? Casual fans who made their own popular re-designs. Deviantart & the like have been overflowing with that sorta thing long before the buyout even took place. Giant Raphs, Donnie covered in tech, etc. I've never been a big on it, though sometimes it can be endearing, I guess. But yeah, you can be sure those fan-works were not only influential but reflected a certain degree of support across several large platforms.
Sure, I remember Leibesman saying that various fan art was a huge influence in the design of the turtles.

I personally like alternate turtle designs, there are some interesting ones out there and even dabbled in doing that myself but I'm not sure anyone would actually want that as the main look of an official version of the TMNT. For every person that goes "that's a cool redesign" you get two that will hate it. That's why the original design is the best in the sense that's it's impossible to screw up something so simple. That's not to say you can't tweak or add a little but the more you do that they more chance you can screw it up for people.

That's why I'm surprised that they've not only done a big redesign but one that uses the Bay aesthetic. Hardly anyone liked it and it's from a movie series which was unceremoniously cancelled.

Last edited by Galactus; 02-01-2018 at 03:15 AM.
Old 02-01-2018, 03:14 AM   #2710
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactus View Post
The turtles are missing their traditional pads and straps in favor of color coded arm and knee length coverings and their all wearing shorts..
Where do you see shorts? Those black things look like shadows, they have the same shadows on their arms, look at Mike to the right. Raph's leg bandana's are the only ones right under his plastron.
Old 02-01-2018, 03:18 AM   #2711
newfan
Mad Scientist

Still not keen on Raph and also leo to a lesser degree. from the new pics they look mproved from the first we saw. Their shells match the bandana colour, a cover over it maybe? Splinter, not liking that so far.

Last edited by newfan; 02-01-2018 at 03:36 AM.
Old 02-01-2018, 03:19 AM   #2712
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Designs are out and they do look a lot better then the leaks we where fed. But, still... Just okay.
Spoiler:

Overall they look much cleaner and sharper, less cluttered plastrons although the lack of lower scutes do look a bit too minimalist, but that's probably fine for the animators.

Raph looks more like someone gave Slash red as the primary color instead of black. He's huge, hulking with jagged plastron and carapace, spikes on his shoulders and spiky elbow pads and snaggle teeth. Which is really sticking out as a sore thumb as the other Turtles are more subtle in their individuality and share mostly a similar body type. Maybe he's a different turtle then the others all together.

I don't mind the change from sai to tonfa, both are defensive weapons so that's nice. And we rarely see proper depiction of sai anyway, Fred Wolf Cartoon was too dumb to research and just made them into weird knives, 4Kids had then look like ridiculous stabby three-pronged ice pick and NIck 2012 while they looked accurate (finally) they where often used as a stabbing and slashing weapon like a dagger or short sword, so why not just drop the sai cause it's clearly too much work for the animation/research team.

Why does Mikey have a yo-yo attached to a baton as a weapon... That's just dumb. When I hoped they went completely away from the eye-to-hand coordination exercise tool that is the nunchaku, I was hoping for something that's less lame. But besides that he's alright, some stickers on his plastron, funny smileys on his kneepads it's fine.

Leo looks preddy good, I like the red markings, a nice callback to them being Red-Eared Sliders, too bad he's the only one (unless the other's have different markings that don't stick out of the masks). Having gloves is a bit neat, do like it that he no longer dual wield two longswords, would have preferred to continue the positive 2012 did and give him a Daisho, but no second sword is a okay alternative too, he is a ninja turtle not a samurai turtle after all. But maybe he'll have a second blade later on and we'll see some Niten-Ryu. The sword looks a bit funky, but at least it is curved and a long enough handle for both hands.

Donnie sure looks techie... Headphone/goggles combo looks weird, I hope there's an actual shell under that drone backpack and why do they ave to gimmick up the bo, does he have a spear now? It looks annoyingly stupid. At least the wrist-com isn't a cluttered mess, a positive with the artstyle is that the kibble isn't as bay-ismy compared to the PD movies. His VA have grown on me, so I hope that'll make up for the design.

Spoiler:

Splinter sure looks like PD Splinter done in Samurai Jack style, nothing else to add.
Spoiler:

April looks good, a fusion of April and Irma.

Overall, I'm in for at least 5 episodes to get a proper feel of the show.
Old 02-01-2018, 03:29 AM   #2713
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Kappa View Post
Why does Mikey have a yo-yo attached to a baton as a weapon... That's just dumb.
Weirdly enough, I've imagined Mikey being something of a yo-yo hobbyist...which somehow launched my mind straight to this

Didn't even notice Raphael's change of weaponry.

I'm pretty sure these are the same leaks, since Raphael looks pretty similar. Even with the shorts/leg sleeves. I think they might just have been slightly earlier designs.
Old 02-01-2018, 03:31 AM   #2714
Raptor86
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Kappa View Post
Designs are out and they do look a lot better then the leaks we where fed. But, still... Just okay.

Overall they look much cleaner and sharper, less cluttered plastrons although the lack of lower scutes do look a bit too minimalist, but that's probably fine for the animators.

Raph looks more like someone gave Slash red as the primary color instead of black. He's huge, hulking with jagged plastron and carapace, spikes on his shoulders and spiky elbow pads and snaggle teeth. Which is really sticking out as a sore thumb as the other Turtles are more subtle in their individuality and share mostly a similar body type. Maybe he's a different turtle then the others all together.

I don't mind the change from sai to tonfa, both are defensive weapons so that's nice. And we rarely see proper depiction of sai anyway, Fred Wolf Cartoon was too dumb to research and just made them into weird knives, 4Kids had then look like ridiculous stabby three-pronged ice pick and NIck 2012 while they looked accurate (finally) they where often used as a stabbing and slashing weapon like a dagger or short sword, so why not just drop the sai cause it's clearly too much work for the animation/research team.

Why does Mikey have a yo-yo attached to a baton as a weapon... That's just dumb. When I hoped they went completely away from the eye-to-hand coordination exercise tool that is the nunchaku, I was hoping for something that's less lame. But besides that he's alright, some stickers on his plastron, funny smileys on his kneepads it's fine.

Leo looks preddy good, I like the red markings, a nice callback to them being Red-Eared Sliders, too bad he's the only one (unless the other's have different markings that don't stick out of the masks). Having gloves is a bit neat, do like it that he no longer dual wield two longswords, would have preferred to continue the positive 2012 did and give him a Daisho, but no second sword is a okay alternative too, he is a ninja turtle not a samurai turtle after all. But maybe he'll have a second blade later on and we'll see some Niten-Ryu. The sword looks a bit funky, but at least it is curved and a long enough handle for both hands.

Donnie sure looks techie... Headphone/goggles combo looks weird, I hope there's an actual shell under that drone backpack and why do they ave to gimmick up the bo, does he have a spear now? It looks annoyingly stupid. At least the wrist-com isn't a cluttered mess, a positive with the artstyle is that the kibble isn't as bay-ismy compared to the PD movies. His VA have grown on me, so I hope that'll make up for the design.

Splinter sure looks like PD Splinter done in Samurai Jack style, nothing else to add.

April looks good, a fusion of April and Irma.

Overall, I'm in for at least 5 episodes to get a proper feel of the show.

Weapons
Old 02-01-2018, 03:40 AM   #2715
newfan
Mad Scientist

If they are different species then i guess they not blood brothers this time then.
Old 02-01-2018, 03:44 AM   #2716
Ninjinister
無問題

The more I look at Splinter, the more he looks... evil... to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor86 View Post

Weapons
You said all that already o.O
Old 02-01-2018, 03:48 AM   #2717
Powder
So tired of this place

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfan View Post
If they are different species then i guess they not blood brothers this time then.
Another notch in the Next Mutation belt.

-Muscular plastrons
-Arm & leg wraps
-Over the dome bandanas
-Each has unique knee/elbow pads
-Shoulder straps on turtles who would otherwise not have them
-Not blood related
-Mysticism utilized by at least one turtle (All 4 in this case, Venus previously)
-Shredder not the main villain
-A traditional TMNT weapon is replaced with tonfa
-Bold change of group dynamics (Raph as leader Vs. the addition of a fifth turtle)

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Old 02-01-2018, 04:16 AM   #2718
Raptor86
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
Another notch in the Next Mutation belt.

-Muscular plastrons
-Arm & leg wraps
-Over the dome bandanas
-Each has unique knee/elbow pads
-Shoulder straps on turtles who would otherwise not have them
-Not blood related
-Mysticism utilized by at least one turtle (All 4 in this case, Venus previously)
-Shredder not the main villain
-A traditional TMNT weapon is replaced with tonfa
-Bold change of group dynamics (Raph as leader Vs. the addition of a fifth turtle)
Yes, it has surely a Next Mutation Vibe, but at least this time there's no Venus and it's 2D animation
Old 02-01-2018, 04:17 AM   #2719
D Piddy 1982
Stone Warrior

Interesting. Reminds me of a fusion of the Next Mutation and Samurai Jack.

As with all major TMNT variations I'll probably get the figures of the initial 4 turtles.

" 'Hero Turtle' craze leads to duck deaths" BBC News 2001
Old 02-01-2018, 04:31 AM   #2720
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Quote:

Didn't knew that. Not really a fan of it, and it's poorly executed in the designs when they are so similar sans Raph.

Mikey got a yellow spot on shoulders and thighs does not really scream Box Turtle, Leo as a RES with the red markings are more telling since it's a nudge to previous iterations and fits as a "nudge nudge wink wink". If Donnie is a softshell why is his head so square and not having the second most iconic thing about softshell that dorky weird snout-face.

This actually makes me dislike the designs a teeny tiny little bit more, cause it feels lazy.

Quote:
Weapons
Mikey's Yo-Yo flail is supposed to be a Kusari-Kundo? okay then.

Interesting that Leo's sword is referred to as a Odachi (Great Sword), okay. It doesn't look like one (doesn't look like a proper Katana either but, eh), it's not curved enough and it looks too short as the Odachi is a really long sword. Kinda weird giving a Ninja that relies on mobility a even longer weapon then a Katana, I'd expect the other way around and give him a Kodachi or a Uchigatana.

A Bo should never be high-tech, that kinda defeats the purpose of having a Bo...
Closed Thread

Tags
2018, rise of the tmnt, speculation, we're crimefighters