The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Everything Else

Notices

Old 08-18-2016, 01:18 AM   #181
Commenter 42
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foombamaroom View Post
But if you tell someone you hate them because your religion, more specifically your parent(s), commands you to, well, then I'm talking about you.

^^ #allreligionsareguiltyofthis

Sorry about Santa.
Commenter 42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 08:30 AM   #182
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

Quote:
But I think the worst part is that there's not a scintilla of doubt in my mind that religion, more specifically someone's views on it, will never stop being a weapon. There's always going to be someone who won't accept another person's beliefs, and then take it to the next step. It's just a horrifying thought.
This is always the case, this has always been the case, this will always be the case. Even if you remove religion from the equation this will still be true. There are atheists who do this exact same thing, have the exact same level of intolerance, and are willing to have other people pay the ultimate price.

We should not Overlook the fact that much of secular culture is still flavored buy religious culture. Even if the people who live in that secular culture are not religious or are atheist. American culture, whether we want to admit it or not, is flavored Christian.

There's not a doubt in my mind that much of the violence we chalk up to being religious in nature elsewhere, is really secular violence that exists within that flavored culture.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 09:38 AM   #183
Foombamaroom
Lord of Cinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
This is always the case, this has always been the case, this will always be the case. Even if you remove religion from the equation this will still be true. There are atheists who do this exact same thing, have the exact same level of intolerance, and are willing to have other people pay the ultimate price.

We should not Overlook the fact that much of secular culture is still flavored buy religious culture. Even if the people who live in that secular culture are not religious or are atheist. American culture, whether we want to admit it or not, is flavored Christian.

There's not a doubt in my mind that much of the violence we chalk up to being religious in nature elsewhere, is really secular violence that exists within that flavored culture.
Oh, atheists do this without a doubt, too. The problem with religious debates is that usually the person who initiates a debate only wants to have their side listened to, and quite frankly doesn't give a damn about what the other side has to say.

Now, if you want to have an exchange of ideologies where you try to understand the other person's beliefs while trying to make them understand yours, more power to you. But if you're entering it with the sole purpose of making sure that they see that you're correct, and they're 100% wrong, then you shouldn't be participating in it at all.

Another problem is just how uneducated people are in these debates. If you have research and evidence to back your claims up, then you're doing something right. One of my biggest pieces of evidence in debates against religion is the Bible. Too many inconsistencies to follow. But a lot of people say, "Yeah, the Bible's inconsistent." and haven't read the Bible cover to cover.

If you're going to debate someone, make sure you actually know what you're talking about so you don't make yourself look like an idiot or an a-hole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commenter 42 View Post
^^ #allreligionsareguiltyofthis

Sorry about Santa.
Shhhhhhh. The only thing that keeps me sane is the thought of a jolly fat man delivering presents one night a year.
Foombamaroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 09:46 AM   #184
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

Quote:
Oh, atheists do this without a doubt, too. The problem with religious debates is that usually the person who initiates a debate only wants to have their side listened to, and quite frankly doesn't give a damn about what the other side has to say.

Now, if you want to have an exchange of ideologies where you try to understand the other person's beliefs while trying to make them understand yours, more power to you. But if you're entering it with the sole purpose of making sure that they see that you're correct, and they're 100% wrong, then you shouldn't be participating in it at all.

Another problem is just how uneducated people are in these debates. If you have research and evidence to back your claims up, then you're doing something right. One of my biggest pieces of evidence in debates against religion is the Bible. Too many inconsistencies to follow. But a lot of people say, "Yeah, the Bible's inconsistent." and haven't read the Bible cover to cover.

If you're going to debate someone, make sure you actually know what you're talking about so you don't make yourself look like an idiot or an a-hole.
To this end I would highly recommend the book, "Religious Literacy."
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 01:54 PM   #185
Commenter 42
Banned

Respect genital mutilation. it's perfectly normal.

Respect molestation. again, totally normal.

Respect me and drink this kool-aid, you'll be with us in the afterlife.

We all have a right to 72 virgins, if you blow yourself up for Allah.

Anyone who doesn't follow these rules is damned. Better be good.

Sex is wrong, until you get married, then figure it out.

Gays are going to hell.

No such thing as Global warming.

The day the red heifer is born will bring about the end times.

Fighting the infidels on our own land, will bring judgement day.

Pay your penance, and all sins are forgiven.

The path to good intentions, is always paved in gold:

But Plastron is right, secular folks are guilty too.
Old 08-18-2016, 02:55 PM   #186
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
And yet religion of ALL kinds has also given us some of history's most magnificent works of art, not to mention great works of charity, and wasn't this country FOUNDED on freedom of religion? It's truly a double-edged sword to speak of it as simply dangerous or "bad" because then you also discount all the GOOD that can come of it. Like the Sistine ceiling. Commissioned by the Pope, no less. (And Michelangelo's feelings toward DOING it notwithstanding, it WAS a labor of love, and his greatest masterpiece.) And there are countless other examples. Walk through any museum of art or culture, and I guarantee that half (if not more) of what is there will have religious themes, or have been created for or by a member of a particular faith. Hindu, Buddhist, Catholic, Islamic, etc.....

Our greatest cultural achievements have always walked hand-in-hand with our beliefs. As it should be, for such works are inspiring to others to make such achievements themselves. How many aspiring artists first picked up a paintbrush or chisel because they saw the depictions of ancient gods, or of biblical figures, and were awed? Or how many humanitarians were inspired to their deeds by their faith? One can't just say faith is dangerous without also looking at the OTHER side of that coin. At the good it can do when used properly.

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 03:00 PM   #187
ToTheNines
[sic]

Quote:
Respect genital mutilation. it's perfectly normal.

Respect molestation. again, totally normal.

Respect me and drink this kool-aid, you'll be with us in the afterlife.

We all have a right to 72 virgins, if you blow yourself up for Allah.

Anyone who doesn't follow these rules is damned. Better be good.

Sex is wrong, until you get married, then figure it out.

Gays are going to hell.

No such thing as Global warming.

The day the red heifer is born will bring about the end times.

Fighting the infidels on our own land, will bring judgement day.

Pay your penance, and all sins are forgiven.

The path to good intentions, is always paved in gold:

http://d28septx7rf3dp.cloudfront.net...714843_m_0.jpg

https://thestockandpillory.files.wor...ld-pearls1.jpg

But Plastron is right, secular folks are guilty too.
I love you, man.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 02:16 PM   #188
Commenter 42
Banned

Proof of Irony, nothing more.

Still I'm sure the deists in the room will pin it on Sky Dad's sense of humor.
Old 08-20-2016, 12:47 PM   #189
BubblyShell22
Leo-holic

Duckie, yes, I tend to see things from both a logical and karmic point of view in why things happen for a reason and it seems to work out pretty well for me. I also strongly believe that bad things come in threes because it has happened more than once in my life so I definitely don't dismiss it though I do believe good things come in threes as well.

Commenter, life definitely isn't fair, but we just have to roll with the punches the best we can and do what we feel is best and karma will reward us in the end. That's how I feel anyway and thanks for the sympathies as this definitely isn't easy for us to deal with.

I do feel that even if you take away religion, there are still political wars that can happen in life and that's never a good thing so think about that for a minute.

"Embrace your inner a**holiness."-Mr. Anderson.
BubblyShell22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 02:45 PM   #190
ToTheNines
[sic]

Quote:
Proof of Irony, nothing more.

Still I'm sure the deists in the room will pin it on Sky Dad's sense of humor.
Lol, what a knucklef*ck. He probably beat one of his kids since surely one of them was the homo responsible for that.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 03:05 PM   #191
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

My apologies for bumping this thread.

Recently, there's been alot of off topic religious discussion in other threads and while there's nothing wrong with it as long as it is done in a civilized way, there is a time and place for everything.

So if you wanna have a religious discussion here (no bashing of course), then this is the place to do it rather than clogging up other threads.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 03:11 PM   #192
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

I'm impressed that a thread of this topic managed to get to 10 pages and still remains unlocked.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 03:12 PM   #193
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

This thread was dead for more than three days.

Oh, and I'm sorry I thought you were C42, FWL.
Old 06-15-2017, 03:12 PM   #194
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
I'm impressed that a thread of this topic managed to get to 10 pages and still remains unlocked.
And got Machias' approval

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
This thread was dead for more than three days.

Oh, and I'm sorry I thought you were C42, FWL.
So I debated myself extensively for 5 pages?

Last edited by FredWolfLeonardo; 06-15-2017 at 03:19 PM.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 07:30 PM   #195
Machias Banshee
Super Moderator

Well, the first ten pages were actual discussion and not mud slinging and arguments. If it continues that way, we can keep it going. After what I just saw happen in a couple other threads, I'm not so sure...

It's up to you, people...
Machias Banshee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 08:35 PM   #196
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
And got Machias' approval

So I debated myself extensively for 5 pages?
Imagine how much more paranoid I'd be if I ever smoked weed.

In my defense, we HAD been going through a rash of bogus accounts...

But yeah, you seem to be on the up and up and I owed you a "sorry" earlier. So, sorry.
Old 06-15-2017, 08:44 PM   #197
Coola Yagami
Overlord

I'm Catholic, and I do believe in God and that He is the ultimate in all that is good. I belief all the crimes and violence caused 'in the name of God' is due to humans being... well... stupid humans that choose to interpret the Bible as they see fit.

I don't think any of us knows the meaning of life until we meet our maker, but for the time being, the meaning is just to live it because you truly only get one chance to live it.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 12:29 PM   #198
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
I'm Catholic, and I do believe in God and that He is the ultimate in all that is good. I belief all the crimes and violence caused 'in the name of God' is due to humans being... well... stupid humans that choose to interpret the Bible as they see fit.
During the Middle Ages, it was wealth and money (Crusades). Today's there's inter-Christian violence, usually Protestants against Roman Catholic.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 11:41 PM   #199
turtle1237
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie View Post
And yet religion of ALL kinds has also given us some of history's most magnificent works of art, not to mention great works of charity, and wasn't this country FOUNDED on freedom of religion? It's truly a double-edged sword to speak of it as simply dangerous or "bad" because then you also discount all the GOOD that can come of it. Like the Sistine ceiling. Commissioned by the Pope, no less. (And Michelangelo's feelings toward DOING it notwithstanding, it WAS a labor of love, and his greatest masterpiece.) And there are countless other examples. Walk through any museum of art or culture, and I guarantee that half (if not more) of what is there will have religious themes, or have been created for or by a member of a particular faith. Hindu, Buddhist, Catholic, Islamic, etc.....

Our greatest cultural achievements have always walked hand-in-hand with our beliefs. As it should be, for such works are inspiring to others to make such achievements themselves. How many aspiring artists first picked up a paintbrush or chisel because they saw the depictions of ancient gods, or of biblical figures, and were awed? Or how many humanitarians were inspired to their deeds by their faith? One can't just say faith is dangerous without also looking at the OTHER side of that coin. At the good it can do when used properly.
Yeah I collect a lot of Greek statues. Zeus, Athena, Hercules, Venus, Apollo, even dying Achilles. Niko was my lateness. Today we look at the ancient Greek status as art, but back in the day these status were pretty much the Roman Greek bible so to speak.
The Greeks believe Man was made in the image of the Gods hench why most Greek Gods have human form, not Dogs on the bodies of man, or Bulls on the bodies of Lions or something like that. But the Gods were Human like beings and thus had human flaws which I find impressive. Zeus and his women, Hera and her rage. ETE. Not even the Heroes were perfect, all had a human flaw.
turtle1237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 12:24 PM   #200
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Yup and some people still do! (Like me.) Religious images are among some of the most inspiring and beautiful artworks ever created. Who could see Da Vinci's Last Supper or Michelangelo's David or Pieta and not be awed and moved? Or the Venus de Milo (it was Aphrodite after all) or the triptychs (sp?) of the Middle Ages?

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jesushtapdancingchrist