The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2017, 03:01 PM   #2141
drewizzle88
Hench Mutant
 
drewizzle88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: SW Missouri
Posts: 487
Also just got my Leo from Coro, thanks bro! A+ service as always.

I am loving Leo, his joints are great compared to the Don and Raph I have. He looks awesome. I am super disappointed in his "katana" though. They look rediculous being so long. I really didn't want to modify them but I'm going to have to or I won't be totally happy with the figure. I'm probably going to shorten the top of his scabbards as well.
__________________
drewizzle88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 03:08 PM   #2142
Candy Kappa
Passive-Aggressive Snob
 
Candy Kappa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Vikingland
Posts: 12,496
I don't remember the size of Leo's swords in-movie, but a katana should roughly be the length of your shoulder to the tip of your other arm's fingers.
Candy Kappa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 05:09 PM   #2143
drewizzle88
Hench Mutant
 
drewizzle88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: SW Missouri
Posts: 487
Very interesting...I had read 33" on www.ninjarap.com I'm sure Geoff could tell us as well. 33" would be 8.25" in 1/4 scale and these are right at 12.25"

I shortened mine to 9" total length and took off a bit of the scabbard and he looks much better to me. I have a bit of sanding and painting to do now and I'll post some finished photos later.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1620.jpg (85.8 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1624.jpg (98.9 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1625.jpg (97.6 KB, 44 views)
__________________
drewizzle88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 11:44 PM   #2144
Levi
Random Punk
 
Levi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 23
Bmaga123,
One of my Raph's came in with the knot tie off as well. It just pops back on with a little bit of force. I'm sure you figured this out already... enjoy your figure.
Levi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 11:45 PM   #2145
Meow
Hench Mutant
 
Meow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: EU/Austria
Posts: 449
I found it also weird that the scabbards are half open at the upper tip and all of it it super long including the swords but I didn't really worry much as I thought NECA knows what they are doing but all this talk about it with people shortening their swords (!) made me this nervous I pulled out my Turtles 1 dvd and went through it to find relevant shots.

So here we are, as attached, NECAs work all authentic
timestamps: 1st around 27m:41s, 2nd at about 1h:15m:51s
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tmntleo1.jpg (13.5 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg tmntleo2.jpg (8.4 KB, 28 views)
__________________
Meow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 11:58 PM   #2146
Bmaga123
Stone Warrior
 
Bmaga123's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: WA
Posts: 785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
Bmaga123,
One of my Raph's came in with the knot tie off as well. It just pops back on with a little bit of force. I'm sure you figured this out already... enjoy your figure.
Thanks buddy, Unfortunately for me the little tab on the head must have broke off a bit because it was too short to pop on so I had to glue it. I cannot spin the knot now and one bandana strand is longer than the other which actually bothers me so I ordered a new Leo and will give this one away to a friend.
Bmaga123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 11:59 PM   #2147
Bmaga123
Stone Warrior
 
Bmaga123's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: WA
Posts: 785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meow View Post
I found it also weird that the scabbards are half open at the upper tip and all of it it super long including the swords but I didn't really worry much as I thought NECA knows what they are doing but all this talk about it with people shortening their swords (!) made me this nervous I pulled out my Turtles 1 dvd and went through it to find relevant shots.

So here we are, as attached, NECAs work all authentic
timestamps: 1st around 27m:41s, 2nd at about 1h:15m:51s
Nice work with this Neca nailed all the details
Bmaga123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:34 AM   #2148
tmntgeoff
Foot Soldier
 
tmntgeoff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: seattle washington
Posts: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewizzle88 View Post
Very interesting...I had read 33" on www.ninjarap.com I'm sure Geoff could tell us as well. 33" would be 8.25" in 1/4 scale and these are right at 12.25"

I shortened mine to 9" total length and took off a bit of the scabbard and he looks much better to me. I have a bit of sanding and painting to do now and I'll post some finished photos later.


I've had a few people ask in PM's about the length etc so I figured I'd post pics. As stated in my previous post the Katanas are about 1 3/4"- 2"too long. I've emailed Neca but never got a response. Since mine are the only known movie 1 Katanas I will help Neca in any way if they ever plan to make modifications etc. I doubt it though.






tmntgeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:32 AM   #2149
LeoRaDoMic
Foot Soldier
 
LeoRaDoMic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meow View Post
I found it also weird that the scabbards are half open at the upper tip and all of it it super long including the swords but I didn't really worry much as I thought NECA knows what they are doing but all this talk about it with people shortening their swords (!) made me this nervous I pulled out my Turtles 1 dvd and went through it to find relevant shots.

So here we are, as attached, NECAs work all authentic
timestamps: 1st around 27m:41s, 2nd at about 1h:15m:51s
Great find! Thanks.

The katana's are still a bit too long in my opinion but great choice by NECA to make the scabbards open in the top. So the swords only a bit shorter and they are perfect.
__________________

Last edited by LeoRaDoMic; Yesterday at 04:38 AM.
LeoRaDoMic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:57 AM   #2150
djmajin
Random Punk
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewizzle88 View Post
Very interesting...I had read 33" on www.ninjarap.com I'm sure Geoff could tell us as well. 33" would be 8.25" in 1/4 scale and these are right at 12.25"

I shortened mine to 9" total length and took off a bit of the scabbard and he looks much better to me. I have a bit of sanding and painting to do now and I'll post some finished photos later.
I did the exact same thing and im SOOOOO much happier with him now, the swords and scabbards were just wait too long (even tho the open scabbard is accurate, the length seemed off)


djmajin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:40 AM   #2151
tmntman
Mad Scientist
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 1,980
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Kappa View Post
I don't remember the size of Leo's swords in-movie, but a katana should roughly be the length of your shoulder to the tip of your other arm's fingers.
As someone who owns a pair of the prop swords from the movie, albeit a set of stunt sword for the Foot, they are 34 inches long. Compare as you wish.
__________________


Check out my site at http://www.tmnttoys.com/
or follow me on Twitter, @TMNTtoys
tmntman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:40 AM   #2152
LeoRaDoMic
Foot Soldier
 
LeoRaDoMic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmajin View Post
I did the exact same thing and im SOOOOO much happier with him now, the swords and scabbards were just wait too long (even tho the open scabbard is accurate, the length seemed off)
http://i.imgur.com/Ox36LTX.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/Ejb0z7W.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/GOUPO0y.jpg
Very good! Only the closed scabbards is a pity

Damn, I think the Katana's are not much shorter than Don's Bo staff.

Overall I'm a bit dissapointed Leo comes with such long weapons. Also the TCRI canister. I know this one is unbroken, but why do we need 2 canisters? After all, one canister caused the mutation of the turtles.

I think NECA could have tried a tiny bit harder with the accessoires, especially for Raphael and Leonardo. Also since each figure comes with only 1 pizza slice, so we only have an half pizza in total.

Don't get me wrong the figures are beyond amazing imo, but the accessoires are dissapointing.
__________________

Last edited by LeoRaDoMic; Yesterday at 05:56 AM.
LeoRaDoMic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:01 AM   #2153
drewizzle88
Hench Mutant
 
drewizzle88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: SW Missouri
Posts: 487
I chopped off that portion of Leo's scabbard because I found it made his sword handles sit so high above his head it didn't look good to me. Plus with the swords being way too long the open end is also too long. It depends on the shot but his handles aren't much over the top of his head and that was the look I was going for to match.

Since these are 1/4 scale the swords are too far off to overlook IMO, I hope they make changes going forward off Geoffs dimensions. At 33" long, in 1/4 scale the NECA sword should only be 8.25", they are off a total of 4" which is equililant to them being off 16" full size. I assume NECA just didn't know the correct size because they sure have done an overall awesome job at accuracy on these guys.

I posted some pictures in the spoiler tag. I ended up shortening the handles by 3/4 of an inch and 3 inches off the blades. Even at that mine are too long for a true 1/4 scale but with the hilt being the size it is I didn't want to go any smaller. I also repainted and weathered the blades and hilts and touched up where I cut and reattached the handle. After a couple of little things I enjoyed changing I will add I am 100% happy with this guy, and I can't wait for Mikey to come and complete the set. NECA has given us such amazing turtles for such a fair price.

Spoiler:



Stock length vs what I shortened mine too.


Another one showing length difference.


The combination of sword blade, handle, and scabbard being too long made his handle sit way too high above the head.


It's awesome NECA nailed the open end on the scabbards, but I happily chopped it off to help bring the handles down to a more realistic height.


Finished photos.







__________________
drewizzle88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:09 AM   #2154
LeoRaDoMic
Foot Soldier
 
LeoRaDoMic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewizzle88 View Post
I chopped off that portion of Leo's scabbard because I found it made his sword handles sit so high above his head it didn't look good to me. Plus with the swords being way too long the open end is also too long. It depends on the shot but his handles aren't much over the top of his head and that was the look I was going for to match.

Since these are 1/4 scale the swords are too far off to overlook IMO, I hope they make changes going forward off Geoffs dimensions. At 33" long, in 1/4 scale the NECA sword should only be 8.25", they are off a total of 4" which is equililant to them being off 16" full size. I assume NECA just didn't know the correct size because they sure have done an overall awesome job at accuracy on these guys.

I posted some pictures in the spoiler tag. I ended up shortening the handles by 3/4 of an inch and 3 inches off the blades. Even at that mine are too long for a true 1/4 scale but with the hilt being the size it is I didn't want to go any smaller. I also repainted and weathered the blades and hilts and touched up where I cut and reattached the handle. After a couple of little things I enjoyed changing I will add I am 100% happy with this guy, and I can't wait for Mikey to come and complete the set. NECA has given us such amazing turtles for such a fair price.

Spoiler:


http://i1253.photobucket.com/albums/...psxornznpu.jpg
Stock length vs what I shortened mine too.

http://i1253.photobucket.com/albums/...psrzu08vqd.jpg
Another one showing length difference.

http://i1253.photobucket.com/albums/...psdf3gahvo.jpg
The combination of sword blade, handle, and scabbard being too long made his handle sit way too high above the head.

http://i1253.photobucket.com/albums/...psxv4jqmqi.jpg
It's awesome NECA nailed the open end on the scabbards, but I happily chopped it off to help bring the handles down to a more realistic height.

http://i1253.photobucket.com/albums/...ps5dzvzznx.jpg
Finished photos.

http://i1253.photobucket.com/albums/...psep0ocgg5.jpg

http://i1253.photobucket.com/albums/...psjaujvxcv.jpg

http://i1253.photobucket.com/albums/...ps2ku0t8sj.jpg

WOW. Perfect. Great work. Thanks for sharing!
__________________
LeoRaDoMic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:29 AM   #2155
Meow
Hench Mutant
 
Meow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: EU/Austria
Posts: 449
I also came to the conclusion that the swords in length are the only thing really off but cutting 2,5 inches down from the blade - isn't that a bit _too_ much? Again I put in the dvd and watched out for 2 things:
- Scabbards length, height, lowest point and position
- Sword (blade) length

Unfortunately I could not get a clear/crisp shot of Leo holding swords in a not-to-be-mistaken perspective making blade length in Leos hands crystal clear. Yes we do have the length of the official movie prop but I wanted to see it what it looks in comparison with Leo. But I think half of the previously cut off 2,5 inches would do the entire thing more justice.

For the scabbard you guys who cut it down might have been a bit too fast on your decision, see pictures attached, timestamps as given around:
1st 07m:29s, 2nd 59m:40s, 3rd 1h:00m, 4th 1h:03m
Notice the 4th picture which is actually a lower angled camera point with Leos scabbs still standing out high


Final conclusion anyway: I guess I see what NECA did here. They got the scabbards aligned totally perfect in size and position but did not put full attention to the sword length in their own instance, therefore leading to swords being matched against scabbard inner space available. That makes sense, right?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tmntleo3.jpg (15.8 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg tmntleo4.jpg (20.3 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg tmntleo5.jpg (17.7 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg tmntleo6.jpg (20.4 KB, 7 views)
__________________
Meow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:59 AM   #2156
Psycho50501
Foot Soldier
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Iowa
Posts: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meow View Post
I also came to the conclusion that the swords in length are the only thing really off but cutting 2,5 inches down from the blade - isn't that a bit _too_ much? Again I put in the dvd and watched out for 2 things:
- Scabbards length, height, lowest point and position
- Sword (blade) length

Unfortunately I could not get a clear/crisp shot of Leo holding swords in a not-to-be-mistaken perspective making blade length in Leos hands crystal clear. Yes we do have the length of the official movie prop but I wanted to see it what it looks in comparison with Leo. But I think half of the previously cut off 2,5 inches would do the entire thing more justice.

For the scabbard you guys who cut it down might have been a bit too fast on your decision, see pictures attached, timestamps as given around:
1st 07m:29s, 2nd 59m:40s, 3rd 1h:00m, 4th 1h:03m
Notice the 4th picture which is actually a lower angled camera point with Leos scabbs still standing out high


Final conclusion anyway: I guess I see what NECA did here. They got the scabbards aligned totally perfect in size and position but did not put full attention to the sword length in their own instance, therefore leading to swords being matched against scabbard inner space available. That makes sense, right?
Question is with the shortened hilt on the sword is leo still able to pull off the two handed sword pose? Probably not...
Psycho50501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:13 AM   #2157
Meow
Hench Mutant
 
Meow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: EU/Austria
Posts: 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho50501 View Post
Question is with the shortened hilt on the sword is leo still able to pull off the two handed sword pose? Probably not...
Good point raised! Which could actually conclude on the last open question why the hilts are this long assuming my previous assumption isn't off: NECA wanted to make sure the two-hand-pose works out with the figure knowing this requires a longer but not 100% movie accurate hilt; for the sakes of fans posing their figures. Also sounds conclusive, right?
__________________
Meow is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:01 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.