The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

View Poll Results: Which name going forward do you prefer?
TMNT III 12 70.59%
TMNT III Turtles in Time 5 29.41%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-21-2019, 02:10 PM   #21
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pferreira View Post
Now I better argument would be what to call the third Highlander movie: The Final Dimension (boo!) or The Sorcerer (the correct title that makes sense).
Both are correct. It was called "The Sorcerer" overseas largely, but always "The Final Dimension" here in the states and in the "Producer's Cut."

I don't like "The Sorcerer" because there's no actual sorcery in the movie. Yet "The Final Dimension" doesn't really make sense, unless it's a reference to the Power of Illusion in the movie.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 06:25 PM   #22
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Plus, it seems a bit disrespectful to the SNES game since it was, you know, actually a quite solid game.

That being said, I cannot hate TMNT III now that the Bay Turtle films exist. Not that I ever hated TMNT III in the first place despite it being a bad movie, but at least I feel like it had good intentions. Bay films however... I'm still convinced someone had it for Turtle fans or held a grudge against the property and wanted to make it the possibly worst thing ever. And it could have been even worst since Shredder was originally supposed ot be White and the Turtles aliens. It was still garbage, but to think it could have been EVEN WORSE really says something about it.

TMNT III was bad, but rather harmless in the grand scheme of things. I don't think people behind it meant any harm with it.
Well put. It wasn't maliciously bad, it was just a misfire. It had that whole "Superman IV" syndrome happening: A story that was somewhat intriguing and, as you said, had the best of intentions, but ruined by the fact that they just didn't want to spend more than the absolute bare-minimum on it, and did nothing to hide that fact. You can't do an "effects movie" - whether the main character can fly or is just wearing an elaborate costume - without spending a lot of money. If it looks cheap, then nothing else you do matters.

Conversely, they had all the money they needed on the BayTurtles films, but absolutely zero good intentions. "This is a garbage brand like G.I. Joe and Transformers, let's just slap it together and put the brand name sticker on it. They're idiots, they won't know." And that attitude shows through in the final product.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 09:10 PM   #23
Xav
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
And it could have been even worst since Shredder was originally supposed ot be White and the Turtles aliens.
Shredder wasn't just supposed to be white, before that they wanted to make him an alien disguised as an army colonel.
Xav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 12:05 AM   #24
Chet
Thug

I think one of the lamest bits about the 2014 movie was that, the only reason the turtles were ninjas is because they happened upon a ninjitsu book in the sewer. Gee.

I actually thought their hip-hop interest was a neat idea to update the ninja turtles from the surfer lingo for a more current version of teenagers, but it just wasn't executed in an interesting way.
Chet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 10:06 AM   #25
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Well put. It wasn't maliciously bad, it was just a misfire. It had that whole "Superman IV" syndrome happening: A story that was somewhat intriguing and, as you said, had the best of intentions, but ruined by the fact that they just didn't want to spend more than the absolute bare-minimum on it, and did nothing to hide that fact. You can't do an "effects movie" - whether the main character can fly or is just wearing an elaborate costume - without spending a lot of money. If it looks cheap, then nothing else you do matters.

Conversely, they had all the money they needed on the BayTurtles films, but absolutely zero good intentions. "This is a garbage brand like G.I. Joe and Transformers, let's just slap it together and put the brand name sticker on it. They're idiots, they won't know." And that attitude shows through in the final product.
Precisely where I was trying to get at

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xav View Post
Shredder wasn't just supposed to be white, before that they wanted to make him an alien disguised as an army colonel.
Maybe not in the first ever draft, but eventually it became an idea. Hence why a lot of people here argued about it for months. It was only confirmed like a few weeks before the movie came out that Shredder was gonna be Japanese after all.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 04:47 PM   #26
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
I don't like "The Sorcerer" because there's no actual sorcery in the movie. Yet "The Final Dimension" doesn't really make sense, unless it's a reference to the Power of Illusion in the movie.
I think it should be called The Sorcerer because the main villain was originally trained to create illusions or manipulate dimensions. The latter of course in that case makes sense as well however it makes the movie sound like a sci-fi one. The Sorcerer makes it sound like a fantasy movie. Just my two cents as it were.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
Because they both involve time travel.
I know but the subtitle tagged onto the third TMNT movie makes it sound like the tie-in to the Konami Snes game when it wasn't meant as such.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
In my opinion I'm okay to go back and rewatch Superman IV any time because the characters are still the same cast while in TMNT III it's always been a slightly more difficult thing to rewatch because the lead characters in that movie aren't presented as well as in previous movies. Not saying the Christopher Reeve movie is better just my opinion.

To fair though the third movie has great cinematography and good world building. I just wish I cared more about the guest characters that just Casey or more specifically Whit. Wasn't a problem in the previous two movies where the guest characters interested me.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote