The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 05-05-2019, 04:26 PM   #21
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Happy Birthday guys! (The publication-based one at least.)

Likewise I was only 5, and had been for less than two weeks. Would still be a long time until I was aware of Mirage since comics weren't a thing I was exposed to much in general.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 04:45 PM   #22
The-Shredder
Hench Mutant

Happy Birthday TMNT! Love the original cartoon, the original movies, the 4Kids show, and even the Nick show has it's moments.
The-Shredder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 09:33 AM   #23
Wesley
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Shredder View Post
Happy Birthday TMNT! Love the original cartoon, the original movies, the 4Kids show, and even the Nick show has it's moments.
Same, aside from TMNT 2: Secret of the Ooze. I wasn’t even born when the comics came out.
Wesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 10:29 AM   #24
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
Same, aside from TMNT 2: Secret of the Ooze. I wasn’t even born when the comics came out.
Secret of The Ooze is still my favorite. It has Shredder and evil mutants. What don't you like about? We all have different opinions and its a part of what makes the franchise so great,but its my favorite when I am 4 and still at 30.
Old 05-06-2019, 10:52 AM   #25
Wesley
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
Secret of The Ooze is still my favorite. It has Shredder and evil mutants. What don't you like about? We all have different opinions and its a part of what makes the franchise so great,but its my favorite when I am 4 and still at 30.
It just seemed too kiddish to me. Doesn’t help that I never saw it as a kid (aside from bits of it on tv) and only finally watched it nearly a year ago. Unpopular opinion: I prefer the third film over it, maybe due to nostalgia (TMNT 3 was the only TMNT film I saw when I was younger). 1990 is my favourite, though it only clicked with me in 2018 (didn’t like it when I first watched it in 2016).
Wesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 04:53 PM   #26
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Rahzar and Tokka

Quote:
Rahzar and Tokka aren't exactly evil. Just two infants used for evil purposes by the bad guys.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 05:17 PM   #27
SS Kakarot
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
Rahzar and Tokka aren't exactly evil. Just two infants used for evil purposes by the bad guys.
BABIES! THEY'RE BABIES!

Sorry, I couldn't resist.
SS Kakarot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 05:05 AM   #28
Sharman
Foot Soldier

Yeah, the nick TMNT video has a number of errors, but hey-ho.

And whilst Kevin Eastman has made note of the anniversary on his social media it's a little telling that Peter Laird's blogs remain silent.

Nonetheless, I'm grateful that the TMNT have had something of a resurgence in the last couple of years (for good or ill).

Here's to the future ...
Sharman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 07:28 AM   #29
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharman View Post
Peter Laird's blogs remain silent.
Most blogs remain silent these days.
Old 05-07-2019, 09:52 AM   #30
pferreira
Foot Elite

Happy Birthday TMNT! Loved the 80s cartoon and the first two live action movies. Great times!

Quote:
One difference is that in the 2010's, the Internet is the main source for modern entertainment. At least in the early-2000's it was still radio and scheudled television, as well as home audio (CD) and video (DVD).
Yeah that is sad.

Quote:
Thumbs up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Kakarot View Post
BABIES! THEY'RE BABIES!

Sorry, I couldn't resist.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 11:40 AM   #31
Sharman
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Most blogs remain silent these days.
That is very true. And given it was PL's only public presence ...
Sharman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 11:30 AM   #32
Overlord

Quote:
What don't you like about?
I don't like Secret of the Ooze because it removes the extraterrestrial origin of the mutagen.
Old 05-13-2019, 04:25 PM   #33
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

https://www.comicsbeat.com/35-years-tmnt-exhibit/

Quote:
Nickelodeon Celebrates 35 Years of TMNT with a Paley Center Exhibit

The Paley Center for Media is celebrating 35 years of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles with two exhibits in New York and Los Angeles. Fans will be able to attend special screenings, meet the Turtles themselves and get a first look at new TMNT-themed apps and games.

The 35 Years of TMNT exhibit is free to the public and, on its opening day, will enter the first 100 kids in line into a special giveaway. Afterwards, the Paley Center has a full schedule for attendees.

“Your journey through the Turtleverse begins with a dynamic art piece showcasing the comic-book origins of our half-shell heroes. Turn around for a ‘shellfie’ with a Turtles standee, then take in the installation of iconic posters and products. Sewer surf through a visual timeline of the evolution of the Turtles from the very first comics to the current series, Rise of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Gear up with a Turtles mask to play TMNT apps, sit back for shell-shocked screenings, express your inner Turtle with craft activities, and get in on some gnarly giveaways!”

On Saturdays and Sundays starting this week, the Paley Center turns into a TMNT nostalgia machine with themed selections of episodes from each of the three series. The screening kicks off with each show’s pilots and finishes, like any TMNT celebration should, with Turtles <3 Pizza.

The 35 Years of TMNT exhibit, presented by Nickelodeon, takes place May 18 through July 14 at Paley Center Los Angeles and New York locations. Since admission is free, no advance ticketing is available. For more details on the exhibit, check out the Paley Center page.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 08:45 AM   #34
Overlord

To give some more perspective of this, TMNT has now existed as long as

Batman in 1974

Spiderman in 1997

Superman in 1973 (not counting Reign of the Superman from 1933, where he was a villain)
Old 05-14-2019, 05:35 PM   #35
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
I don't like Secret of the Ooze because it removes the extraterrestrial origin of the mutagen.
Where in the film does it say the mutagen is not alien? Curious to know which line says this.
Old 05-14-2019, 07:47 PM   #36
Leo656
The Franchise

It also never says that it IS.

That means that it's not. It doesn't matter what happens in other canons and continuities. The ooze in the live-action movie universe is simply a lab accident and nothing more. Deleted scenes and/or things that were scripted but never filmed don't count.

I'm well aware that at one point it was intended for Perry to be revealed as an Utrom, and in turn for the Ooze to be of alien origin. But it didn't happen, and the third film ignored the Ooze plotline completely. So regardless of what was originally intended, it doesn't count for anything but headcanon.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 06:01 AM   #37
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post

That means that it's not. It doesn't matter what happens in other canons and continuities. The ooze in the live-action movie universe is simply a lab accident and nothing more. Deleted scenes and/or things that were scripted but never filmed don't count.

I'm well aware that at one point it was intended for Perry to be revealed as an Utrom, and in turn for the Ooze to be of alien origin. But it didn't happen, and the third film ignored the Ooze plotline completely. So regardless of what was originally intended, it doesn't count for anything but headcanon.
Jordan Perry doesn't need to be an Utrom. Just make him an ally or friend of the Utroms and their link to Human society, like April O'Neil is for the turtles.
Old 05-20-2019, 06:28 PM   #38
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:

My point in asking that question is how do we know it's not alien? The lab accident didn't have to be the result of the scientists creating the ooze, it could of them just mishandling the alien liquid.
Old 05-20-2019, 08:29 PM   #39
Leo656
The Franchise

Simply put, because there's absolutely no reason to assume such a thing based on the material presented in the film itself.

Anyone who's familiar with the comics, cartoons, whatever, can easily make any and all kinds of assumptions about This or That based on those materials, but the fact is, those materials have NOTHING to do with the film(s) except in instances where it's explicitly stated that things are the same. The films' only obligation is to be consistent within its own universe, NOT whatever is presented in other media. Thus, the fact that in the Mirage comics, the "ooze" is of alien origin has nothing to do with the origin of the ooze in the second film, in which it is explicitly stated to be a simple lab accident with no extra-terrestrial trappings whatsoever. Again, deleted scenes, excised portions of earlier scripts, story details that occurred in comics and cartoon shows - NONE of it is ultimately relevant to the finished film itself. The film explains itself succinctly; the rest is fanfiction.

You may as well ask, "Well, how do we know that the Movie Turtles DIDN'T fight Baxter Stockman and the Mousers? Or that Shredder didn't come back yet again, and create Bebop and Rocksteady? They did in the comics/cartoons/misc., after all... we can just pretend that it happened off-screen, between movies!" Sure, if you want to pretend that, knock yourself out. But that's all you're doing is pretending; the movies don't give you any reason at all to suspect that those events happened in this specific and unique version of the story.

Once more, in summation: We know the ooze in the second movie isn't of alien origin because the movie in its complete and final state never says so or even hints at it, not even a tiny little bit. We know they almost did, but for whatever reason, they ultimately didn't. The story we have is The Story We Have. You can pretend otherwise if it makes the movie more enjoyable for you, but it's still headcanon and fanfiction, NOT the official story.

It's pretty cut-and-dry. Sure, they could have added as much as a single throw-away line of dialog from some scientist talking about "We don't know where it came from", but they didn't. And since it was never followed up on anyway, it would have been pretty silly, given that the following film had nothing to do with aliens and so forth. It's quite obvious to me that the people handling the film series at the time simply wanted to present a more "grounded" version of the TMNT story with sci-fi and extra-terrestrial shenanigans kept to a minimum, probably for budget reasons. Thus, they purposely never tried to steer to story in that direction. It is what it is.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 10:36 AM   #40
Overlord

Quote:
It's quite obvious to me that the people handling the film series at the time simply wanted to present a more "grounded" version of the TMNT story with sci-fi and extra-terrestrial shenanigans kept to a minimum, probably for budget reasons. Thus, they purposely never tried to steer to story in that direction. It is what it is.
With the TMNT franchise bringing so much money at the time, budget reasons must have been the worst excuse ever.

Last edited by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan; 05-22-2019 at 09:36 AM.