The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Everything Else

Notices

Old 10-08-2017, 04:13 PM   #1
Prowler
Emperor

What is the thing you've been a fan of or doing for the longest?

Like, what are the video game/cartoon/movie/etc properties that you've been a fan of for the longest time as of today? And also hobbies you've had the longest? Like I dunno, have you been fishing for 10 years now or something?

For me the answer is easy: video games. been into them as long as I remember. My earliest memory in life even involves video games when I was 3-4 years old. So yeah, that's about 22-23 years in a row of playing video games. It's only been interrupted by a sabbatical that went from late 2009 to early 2011 or so.

Second would be football/soccer. Liked it since... 1998 or so? The 1998 World Cup was my first major tournament. I was 7 years old and still remember Zidane's France annihilating Ronaldo Fenómeno's Brazil in that final.

TMNT would be 3rd, I guess. Or maybe even tied in 2nd place with football/soccer. And wrestling probably comes shortly after, although I don't really consider myself a fan anymore.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 04:30 PM   #2
CyberCubed
Overlord

Probably TMNT and/or videogames in general. Had an NES since I was like 4, watched the original TMNT cartoon as a 3 year old in 1988 or something.

My first videogame was the original Super Mario Bros. on NES, so I've also been a fan of Mario or Nintendo in general for 30 years.

Besides that, everything else came later. Got into Batman in the 90's, Pokemon has been around 20 years but it didn't start till 1998 and I was already a teenager by then, etc.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 04:30 PM   #3
Powder
So tired of this place

TMNT is #1. I lost my sh*t as an infant when I saw a Michelangelo figure my half-brother had. I wouldn't let up until it was given to me (along with Ace Duck). My mom, seeing that nothing got a reaction out of me like the TMNT, would then help to introduce me further. I took my actual first steps because of them, we were watching the first movie on VHS & I wanted to be closer to the screen. They are an integral part of me & my upbringing, no doubt the single greatest influence in my life, for the better. They are why I got into art, & things come more & more full circle each year as I get to meet/befriend/collaborate with Mirage artists.

Second to that would be playing Nintendo games/the arts.

I started on SNES when I was 3 or 4, it was my mom's console. She'd let me "help" her play A Link To The Past & soon enough I was playing TMNT, SMW, DKC, etc. Gameboy, too. I've been an almost exclusively Nintendo-only "gamer". Don't have a Switch yet but you can bet I want one.

I've tinkered with most art forms for the same amount of time, starting with normal kid stuff like fingerpainting. Coloring books were a big thing but I always loved making my own drawings too. I'd paint sculptures (you could buy cheap blanks of all sorts of cool stuff at Michaels back then), stain glass, use clay, draw, you name it. Throughout my life I've made clothing designs, logos, album covers, comic books, pin-ups, community murals (both official & graffiti, haha), sculptures, (crude) 3D models, you name it. Also been a music lover since the beginning, though I didn't take up an instrument until I was 11 or 12 (guitar). I would go on to play drums & keyboards, rap, sing, produce beats, blah blah blah. I can create a song in almost any style, & it was all self taught, I'm proud to say. My drive and skill led to working with some of my all time favorite rappers/producers on my own group's albums.

That's where my passion's at. Real passion, properly nurtured, can lead to beautiful things. If nothing else, it's good to have stuff that motivates you to keep truckin' in this wicked world.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 04:33 PM   #4
dl316bh
Stone Warrior

TMNT might be the earliest, with me as a little kid in the early 90's watching the eighties cartoon in syndication, though my interest would wax and wane at different periods of my life. I'd always come back though.

Batman just as long. Interest has been continual my whole life.
Old 10-08-2017, 04:48 PM   #5
Ninjinister
無問題

Turtles are all the way at #3 for me. I forget which came first though: video games or ALF. Both of them I was super into since I was cognizant of what was going on (considering I was reading at 18 months, it was pretty early on). Turtles weren't until December of 87 so I was 2 at the time.
Old 10-08-2017, 05:22 PM   #6
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
I'd say my earliest "fandom" would be Star Wars and then Pern and Xanth. TMNT came later. But as for hobbies that would be writing, hands down. Been doing it since I wrote my first story in 2nd grade. I like to draw or paint once in a while but not like I do with writing.

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 05:37 PM   #7
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Has to be TMNT. There were other things I liked here and there as a kid, but not nearly as much or for nearly as long. Anything else was relatively short lived.

Last edited by IndigoErth; 10-08-2017 at 06:08 PM.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 05:47 PM   #8
Spike Spiegel
See You Next Mission

In terms of fandom, probably the DCAU/larger DC Comics universe, followed by the Metroid series, TMNT (Mirage and 2k3), and Star Wars (the original six, anyway).

As for hobbies, probably my art.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomancer View Post
Mirage [is]...a comic about life and how life and the people closest to you just absolutely suck sometimes. It's "adult" in a very real sense, in that it deals with heavy themes that resonate more with adults, not that it's full of blood and titties or whatever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_osborn View Post
[TMNT 1990 director Steve] Barron recognized the early Mirage issues as perfect storyboards. It's a shame no other filmmaker has.
Spike Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 06:08 PM   #9
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

Gargoyles . Ever since 2000, at the least. Saw it in a hotel in Las Vegas when I was there for my grandmother's wedding.

Bone is a close second, which I've been following since high school.
Old 10-08-2017, 06:19 PM   #10
snake
Disgusting

Star Wars. Fan since I was 2.
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 07:15 PM   #11
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjinister View Post
Turtles are all the way at #3 for me. I forget which came first though: video games or ALF. Both of them I was super into since I was cognizant of what was going on (considering I was reading at 18 months, it was pretty early on). Turtles weren't until December of 87 so I was 2 at the time.
Oh man, I remember ALF rerunning all the time on TV here throughout 2002-2003. That's when I first laid my eyes on it. I became a big ALF fan at the time. I never got around to watching the last episode though.

Haven't watched ALF in years. As an 11-12 year old kid at the time, ALF was pretty fun to watch. I wonder if I'd still enjoy watching it as an adult. Willie and ALF had GREAT chemistry. Some of the best I've seen in a family tv show.
Old 10-08-2017, 07:19 PM   #12
Vegita-San
Emperor

Either Gadget, or He-Man would have to be the earliest action figure line.

TMNT i stuck with the longest, although that is finally running it's course due to all the endless reboots with the same material.
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 07:23 PM   #13
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

Turtles might be my longest running fandom, but cartoons and animation....in particular voice over, was my first passion.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 07:26 PM   #14
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
Either Gadget, or He-Man would have to be the earliest action figure line.

TMNT i stuck with the longest, although that is finally running it's course due to all the endless reboots with the same material.
My interest in TMNT comes and goes. It never fully goes away. It's always there, buried deep in the back of my mind.

I honestly think, at this point, that I'll like the Turtles forever. Even if the property died out in the next few years or something, I'd always have enough stuff to go back to in case I'd need yet another nostalgia fix.
Old 10-08-2017, 08:44 PM   #15
GoldMutant
Control Your Narrative

When I was a pre-school student, I remember getting into movies due to my class and I getting into a talk off with The Incredibles. That inspired my number one favorite thing: my love for theater and film. Over time by not only watching movies, but also starring in some plays, it heightened what I want to do in a few years time.

At the same time, it also is what got me into Spider-Man as my main franchise. Spider-Man 2 was the first movie I ever saw in theaters and it got me hooked on film, superheroes, and the wall-crawler himself.

Outside anything film related, I do owe my sister some thanks for getting me into video games as well as my grandparents. My sister owned a Playstation 2 and some Playstation 1 games whereas my grandparents owned an NES and original X-Box.
Old 10-08-2017, 11:12 PM   #16
DestronMirage22
Yukipedia

TMNT’s always been my favorite franchise. And it always will be.

As for other things I’ve been into for a long time are reading and playing video games. Ever since I learned to read, I’ve been an avid reader. You would almost always find me with my nose in a book, and the same holds true today. And the same goes for video games. Loved them as a little kid and I’ve never stopped playing them my entire life.
DestronMirage22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 11:15 PM   #17
TurtleTitan97
Space Cowboy

Marvel & DC Comics for me.

TurtleTitan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 11:20 PM   #18
Papenbrook
*The King of Nothing*

Spoiler:

I have also been drawing/sketching art for as long as I can remember.
Papenbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 11:51 PM   #19
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

I've been a tmnt fan for about 10 years, but a Pokemon fan since I was born, so I practically grew up with Pikachu dolls in the cradle.

Also been a fan of animated Disney films (e.g. Jungle Book and Lion King) seemingly forever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papenbrook View Post
I knew you were gonna say Sonic, but I thought you were gonna use THAT sonic picture
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 12:14 AM   #20
newfan
Mad Scientist

There are franchises that I've been a fan of for years but I find I go in and out of phases with them, so sometimes they go off to the back ground and then I'll have a phase where I watch them a lot again. so...

I would have said Star Trek as I liked that from a very young age but my interest in that one has been sleeping for a while, okay I did like the new movies and still like the older movies but I'm not interested in the new show and haven't cared about ALL shows..maybe I'll still say it's that as it's the longest running for me, but the interest has dropped.

Last edited by newfan; 10-09-2017 at 12:57 AM.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote