The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 10-02-2017, 05:19 PM   #1
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Sonic The Hedgehog Movie from Paramount

Paramount Pictures raced to nab the movie rights to Sonic the Hedgehog, the popular SEGA videogame franchise.

Neal H. Moritz, whose Original Film banner recently signed an upcoming first look deal with Paramount, will produce the project, which is coming to the studio after Sony Entertainment put it into turnaround.

Much of the team that was developing it at Sony remains: in addition to Moritz, Deadpool director Tim Miller is executive producing, while his longtime Blur Studio collaborator Jeff Fowler will make his feature directorial debut on the film. Also executive producing is Toby Ascher, while Dmitri Johnson and Dan Jevons will serve as co-producers.

Sonic the Hedgehog centers on Sonic and his friends, such as Tails and Knuckles, who run around collecting items and points as they attempt to foil the global domination plans of Doctor Eggman Robotnik. The game was first released by SEGA in 1991, with the character becoming one of the world’s biggest gaming icons. More than 360 million copies, including both packaged and digital games, have been sold on various platforms.

The studio plans on making a movie that will blend live action and CGI animation as it brings Sonic to the big screen for the first time.

Fowler previously wrote and directed the 2005 Academy Award-nominated best animated short, the animal-centric Gopher Broke, which Miller executive produced.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hea...amount-1044819
Old 10-02-2017, 05:24 PM   #2
The Deadman
Foot Elite

This was announced last year, just with Sony attached

http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/sho...ighlight=sonic

Last Movie Watched: Hell House LLC (2015).
Last TV Show Watched: Adventures of Sonic The Hedgehog (S1:E29).
The Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 05:26 PM   #3
Shark_Blade
Emperor

I hope the live action is done well like the Sonic Adventures games. If not it might be another dreadful live action Smurf 1 & 2 from Sony all over again..
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 05:29 PM   #4
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

How is Sonic going to look like, are they gonna go with the realistic looking Hedgehog? cause they are pretty small creatures.

Old 10-02-2017, 05:57 PM   #5
Powder
So tired of this place

Considering it's Paramount, God, maybe you're right... Eugh.

If it looks promising though I'd totally go see it.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 06:09 PM   #6
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
Considering it's Paramount, God, maybe you're right... Eugh.

If it looks promising though I'd totally go see it.
Sony Pictures originally had the movie rights, I wonder what made them decide to hand it over to Paramount Pictures?
Old 10-02-2017, 06:55 PM   #7
Papenbrook
*The King of Nothing*

Huh.

I wonder how well the production process is going.
Papenbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 07:39 PM   #8
ProactiveMan
Spooky ghost

"Sonic the Hedgehog centers on Sonic and his friends, such as Tails and Knuckles, who run around collecting items and points" -Sounds like the greatest story ever told.
ProactiveMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 09:03 PM   #9
TurtleTitan97
Space Cowboy

This is gonna suck so hard.

TurtleTitan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 09:35 PM   #10
DarkFell
A Crusty Bob Fan

I half-way wonder if it'll some-what resemble looking like this flick.

Blue Core Studios tried their hand at making a live action / CG Sonic the Hedgehog movie a few years ago.

~ John Adams
DarkFell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 10:24 PM   #11
Wildcat
Foot Elite

There’s been a lot of delays. Makes me think there’s no real time frame for being made. Just eventually
Old 10-03-2017, 08:16 AM   #12
ProactiveMan
Spooky ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkFell View Post
I half-way wonder if it'll some-what resemble looking like this flick.

Blue Core Studios tried their hand at making a live action / CG Sonic the Hedgehog movie a few years ago.

I have so many questions. Is that Doug Walker?... and why is Stefan Urkel's voice coming out of that blue pot scourer?
Old 10-03-2017, 12:15 PM   #13
TMNT_Guy
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
Sony Pictures originally had the movie rights, I wonder what made them decide to hand it over to Paramount Pictures?
If I had to guess, I'd say it's due to the failure of the Ratchet & Clank movie. They already cancelled their plans for a Sly Cooper movie, though he will be getting a TV series by Technicolor Animation Productions(Formerly OuiDo! Productions)...who incidentally also works on the Sonic Boom cartoon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProactiveMan View Post
1. Is that Doug Walker?
2. Why is Steve Urkel's voice coming out of that blue pot scourer?
1. Yes. Here's a clip of him on set...and I personally find it harder to watch then the fan film.

2. Because his actor Jaleel White voiced Sonic in all three of the Dic cartoons and he was awesome at it...though his voice has definitely changed since then and not for the better.
Old 10-03-2017, 03:23 PM   #14
Prowler
Emperor

I'm honestly surprised this might be the first ever Sonic movie. You'd think they'd have made a Sonic movie at some point in the 90s just like Mario, SF and MK got movies. Although maybe because the trend back then was for video game adaptations to be in live action the trigger was never pulled on Sonic since... you know. Unless they'd combine live action with animation like Space jam did.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 04:53 PM   #15
TMNT_Guy
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
I'm honestly surprised this might be the first ever Sonic movie. You'd think they'd have made a Sonic movie at some point in the 90s just like Mario, SF and MK got movies. Although maybe because the trend back then was for video game adaptations to be in live action the trigger was never pulled on Sonic since... you know. Unless they'd combine live action with animation like Space jam did.
Sega did pitch an animated Sonic movie in the 90s but it never went far. Then of course there's the awful pitch by the more awful Ken Penders.

Don't know who Ken Penders is? Just in case your not a big Sonic fan or somehow managed to avoid all his controversy, heres' the short version: Basically he was a hack writer for the Archie Sonic comics that latter sued Archie and Sega for the copyright of all the characters and concepts he created for the book...and some how won. Want to know why Knuckles can't wear his hat from the Sonic OVA? It's because Ken owns the concept of that idea even though the OVA was made years before he put it into the comics. I wish I was kidding, but I'm not. There's more to it, but that's enough for now.

Back to "his" movie. It all started when Ben Hurst, head writer for the SatAm Sonic the Hedgehog series, tried contacting Sega with the possibility of creating a finale for the series. Here's what he had to say:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Hurst
I did consult with DiC to see if there was a way to generate some enthusiasm for a feature film to be the "Third Season" of SatAM. I was given the name of a SEGA executive and had a most pleasant conversation. She had to go to a meeting, but said she would like to talk to me more about the idea. The next day, I got a call from Ken Penders, who had been alerted by his contact in their office that I was interested in getting a Sonic movie going. I generously offered to include him in the effort and told him my strategy. Get SEGA to become invested in the idea by hiring us to interview their creative game designers, execs, etc and see if we could develop a story line that would fulfill the third season - and simultaneously give them creative ideas to develop new games. A win-win, situation.

Then, I called SEGA back, but I was shocked when the exec "lit" into me, telling me, "People pay US to develop Sonic product, we don't pay them!" Then she hung up on me. Obviously, Penders had related my strategy to them in a less-than-flattering way. Thanks for the knife, Ken. So, I gave up. Later, I was informed by friendly fans that Penders had written in his message board or some such place that "Ben Hurst doesn't know how movies are made in Hollywood." (Hey Ken, read "Adventures in Screenwriting" by William Goldman and get some humility) Then he dropped hints that HE would be the writer for a big Sonic Feature Film. That was three years ago. So, if you're reading between the lines, you can see I don't hold out much hope for seeing the third season of SatAM - or being the one who does it if it happens. And that makes me sad. Because if it were to happen, those 13 episodes would sizzle.
Here's that awful pitch Ken made, a pitch Ken was so proud of that he back-stabbed Ben Hurst over it. I have to remind you all because I myself sometimes have trouble believing all the horrible and crazy things about that man: This. Is. Real.

Old 10-03-2017, 06:29 PM   #16
ProactiveMan
Spooky ghost

I like his Floating Island ident. Maybe he could have made the whole movie in Flash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMNT_Guy View Post
1. Yes. Here's a clip of him on set...and I personally find it harder to watch then the fan film.
He's got a high tolerance for embarrassment, I'll give him that.
Old 10-03-2017, 07:04 PM   #17
The Deadman
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Technically there was one

http://sonic.wikia.com/wiki/Sonic_th...hog:_The_Movie

Last Movie Watched: Hell House LLC (2015).
Last TV Show Watched: Adventures of Sonic The Hedgehog (S1:E29).
The Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote