The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Nick TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

View Poll Results: Uh... dumb that down a notch?
The heart is a soft muscle... squish. 43 46.24%
That is so adorable, and sad. It's... sadorable. 22 23.66%
Kraang is that which is called Idiotic. 22 23.66%
Listen to the silence... find a giant pearly ball thing. :\ 2 2.15%
....did Raph fart on Don in the opening scene? 4 4.30%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-31-2013, 11:12 PM   #221
Shark_Blade
Emperor

I'm sure he's lurking around, not posting anything though.
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 01:48 AM   #222
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

I liked the characterizations but basically the episode was sh*t. A lot of episodes I've seen that people have called "filler" I have defended for one reason or another, but this one literally served no purpose other than that last tidbit with April's dad possibly looking evil.

"Newtralizer" was a one dimensional character with no motivation provided and added nothing to the episode. Were there no "Donatello wuvs April" subplot the plot would literally be nonexistant beyond springing Mr. O'Neil (which they are finally worried about). The strongest moment for me was when Raphael stood up for Don at the end in front of April... that was a nice character moment.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 08:00 AM   #223
BubblyShell22
Leo-holic

Well, to be fair, I'm sure we'll learn more about Newtralizer in season 2 as he's being voiced by Danny Trejo. It was stated in the ep that Newtralizer is an experiment of the Kraang, so it'll be interesting to see how they found him and mutated him.

As for the plot, I thought it was pretty good and a good way to showcase Don going solo, even if his motivation was to impress April. I really feel that Don has a good heart and wanted to rescue Kirby also because he knows April misses her dad.

But now that Kirby may be under some mind control, it's going to get interesting in the finale.

"Embrace your inner a**holiness."-Mr. Anderson.
BubblyShell22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 08:36 AM   #224
Electric
Epic Hiatus

Have to disagree with you Andrew, the episode actually move the plot along and set up for the finale, with April recovering that orb and the turtles recovering Kirby, who definitely has something up with him. And don't be so quick to judge newtralizer, he's only been in one episode, and he will be in more. You can't just call him one dimensional based on his intro episode, I'm sure there is more to him to come
Old 08-01-2013, 08:49 AM   #225
Captain PunchYouHard
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubblyShell22 View Post
As for the plot, I thought it was pretty good and a good way to showcase Don going solo, even if his motivation was to impress April. I really feel that Don has a good heart and wanted to rescue Kirby also because he knows April misses her dad.
You know, despite Raph's cynical remark, I really didn't think Donnie was trying to impress April at that point at all. I thought he was really just trying to ease her pain. I'm not much of a shipper, but I really had some feels when he said "No!" and shoved Dr. O'Neill out of the way of whatever bad thing was going on at the moment.

(GIF by Martinf)
Captain PunchYouHard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 10:02 AM   #226
snake
Disgusting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom View Post
Just finished watching this ep and so, uh, what's with the plug in the back of Kirby's neck?

You can spot it clearly at 18:21 and a couple more times at the end of the show; it reminds me of the conduit humans had in the Matrix.
Oh! I'll have to look for that when it re-airs.
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 11:24 AM   #227
BubblyShell22
Leo-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doom Cookie View Post
You know, despite Raph's cynical remark, I really didn't think Donnie was trying to impress April at that point at all. I thought he was really just trying to ease her pain. I'm not much of a shipper, but I really had some feels when he said "No!" and shoved Dr. O'Neill out of the way of whatever bad thing was going on at the moment.
Well, yeah, that, too. I think at first it was about impressing April until he realized that he just wanted her to be reunited with her dad. So, you're definitely right on that point. But Raph did make up for it in the end.

"Embrace your inner a**holiness."-Mr. Anderson.
BubblyShell22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 11:59 AM   #228
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricN View Post
You can't just call him one dimensional based on his intro episode, I'm sure there is more to him to come
I absolutely can, and am. He was absolutely one dimensional in this episode. I don't know/don't care what may or may not be coming up on the horizon in subsequent episodes... the episode I watched, he was a pointless character that might as well have been a robot or any kind of generic monster or mutant.

Also kind of eye-rollable how the trope continues at the end of each episode where when a mutant apparently "dies," there needs to be a quick scene at/near the end where they go, "Look! See?! He's alive, he's all right!" And on that, just how the hell are we to believe that Newtralizer survived getting a car dropped on his head/face? He isn't wearing that much armor and it's not like newts are known for having durable skin (and I'm pretty sure any Ninja Turtle couldn't survive having a car dropped on their head).
Old 08-01-2013, 12:35 PM   #229
Martin
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Also kind of eye-rollable how the trope continues at the end of each episode where when a mutant apparently "dies," there needs to be a quick scene at/near the end where they go, "Look! See?! He's alive, he's all right!" And on that, just how the hell are we to believe that Newtralizer survived getting a car dropped on his head/face? He isn't wearing that much armor and it's not like newts are known for having durable skin (and I'm pretty sure any Ninja Turtle couldn't survive having a car dropped on their head).
Or how he got to back of the van when he was actually squashed by the front of it.

I think this ep suffered from trying fit an excessive amount of narrative into a 20 minute show. I remember that this was actually praised in the IGN review, but I honestly think that it was detrimental since a lot of things didn't get the exposition they needed.

Maybe if the whole 'April finding a weird metal ball' part of the story had been shown in parasitica (in other context of course), the main plot of the ep would have standed up more. Overall it was a good ep, but forgettable at that. I mean, if we ignore the fact that Parasitica didn't have any sort of relevant plot points connected to the main narrative of the show, it was a much better ep than this one IMHO.
Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 01:51 PM   #230
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinf View Post
Or how he got to back of the van when he was actually squashed by the front of it.

I think this ep suffered from trying fit an excessive amount of narrative into a 20 minute show. I remember that this was actually praised in the IGN review, but I honestly think that it was detrimental since a lot of things didn't get the exposition they needed.

Maybe if the whole 'April finding a weird metal ball' part of the story had been shown in parasitica (in other context of course), the main plot of the ep would have standed up more. Overall it was a good ep, but forgettable at that. I mean, if we ignore the fact that Parasitica didn't have any sort of relevant plot points connected to the main narrative of the show, it was a much better ep than this one IMHO.
Parasitica was an excellent standalone episode, and pretty creepy. This episode is just treading water while only throwing a tiny breadcrumb toward the overall narrative.
Old 08-01-2013, 02:02 PM   #231
JTH
"ME"

Quote:
I absolutely can, and am. He was absolutely one dimensional in this episode. I don't know/don't care what may or may not be coming up on the horizon in subsequent episodes... the episode I watched, he was a pointless character that might as well have been a robot or any kind of generic monster or mutant.

I guess you thought Darth Vader was a stupid, pointless, one dimensional character that had no meaning after watching the Star Wars IV, and thus didn't watch another Star Wars after that. Right?

Seriously, the "I saw this character for 10 minutes, so he's a one dimensional, pointless character" is one of the dumbest things I ever hear.

Last edited by JTH; 08-01-2013 at 02:20 PM.
JTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 02:22 PM   #232
demonsweat
Stone Warrior

Quote:

Eh, I have to disagree. I think Newtralizer has a lot of potential, but I rather enjoyed his intro episode. The fact that he's on neither side is a first, for one. He clearly saw the turtles fighting the kraang and didn't care - he just tried to waste everybody. I'm really digging his punisher-esque design too.

Oh yeah, and the dude eats kraangs whole and has their severed tentacles on his belt as trophies (or snacks, as someone else suggested). Come on, you gotta admit that's pretty cool. He's a bounty hunter, so his so his allegiance will shift to whoever he's working for, I guess. I like to see more characters in that grey area. It's gets us away from the hardcore good vs. evil crap a lot of toons fall into - now that ****'s one dimensional.

On that note, I do agree that the episode end "look he's alive" cliche is a little tired. That might have something to do with Nick standards, I'm not sure (apparently killing kraang is okay though...)
Old 08-01-2013, 03:21 PM   #233
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

The fundamental difference of opinion here is that everyone seems to be coloring their views on Newtralizer on his potential, and how he may or may not be a pretty compelling character 5 episodes from now, or 20. I'm just saying his introductory episode painted him as entirely one dimensional -- I'm not hedging my bets on what I think he will be later on because those episodes don't exist yet.

Quote:
I guess you thought Darth Vader was a stupid, pointless, one dimensional character that had no meaning after watching the Star Wars IV, and thus didn't watch another Star Wars after that. Right?
That's a pretty nonsensical statement. Vader is one of the most iconic screen villains there's ever been, even without Episodes V and VI. Cold, calculating, yet also in the pocket of guys like Grand Moff Tarkin... and we're given just enough about him (he killed Luke's father somehow, at some point in the past) that our imagination can run wild.

Newtralizer... um... he just attacks everything and everybody for no reason. And has some blasters that he wanted to get back. He doesn't even appear to be sentient.
Old 08-01-2013, 03:30 PM   #234
CyberCubed
Overlord

I'm kinda confused as to why all of Nick's mutants don't speak right away. They keep them silent for some reason.

I think Spiderbitez was the only one outside of Dog/Fishface that spoke right away in the same episode.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 03:37 PM   #235
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I'm kinda confused as to why all of Nick's mutants don't speak right away. They keep them silent for some reason.

I think Spiderbitez was the only one outside of Dog/Fishface that spoke right away in the same episode.
Depends. If they mutated right away from being an animal, then how would they know or be able to speak English right off the bat? If they mutated from a human, then yeah... they should probably be able to speak (though them having to take some time to figure out their new mutated vocal chords would make some sense).
Old 08-01-2013, 03:39 PM   #236
Karai Samurai
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricN View Post
Can you link that please
Done.
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/sho...t=39758&page=6

Karai Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 03:41 PM   #237
Martin
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Newtralizer... um... he just attacks everything and everybody for no reason. And has some blasters that he wanted to get back. He doesn't even appear to be sentient.
I get your point but I think you are being a bit too rough on the character. The introduction of the Newtralizer wasn't the main focus of the ep and that's why he got relegated to a secondary role. Besides, who knows, maybe the only way he'll be able to communicate with the turtles is through some sort of translator device that will be introduced later on. After all, the utroms/kraangs can only speak english when they are inside their robot bodies.

EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karai Samurai View Post
Ok, I hadn't really read that before. C'mon, Cubed did get pretty insistent, but Ciro overreacted diva style. He just acted like a little child who can't handle criticism. I wonder what he'd think about some of the things I've said about the show...

PS: In hindsight, maybe someone should have told him about user filters when he joined the forums

Last edited by Martin; 08-01-2013 at 03:55 PM.
Old 08-01-2013, 04:14 PM   #238
Luckyday
Mad Scientist

Geez, you guys made it look as if he had been harassed by CyberCubed. Was reason for his reaction was that he final snap from his 100th insult of the day or was this guy a real piece of work with the ego of Phil Fish?
Luckyday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 04:31 PM   #239
Martin
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyday View Post
Geez, you guys made it look as if he had been harassed by CyberCubed. Was reason for his reaction was that he final snap from his 100th insult of the day or was this guy a real piece of work with the ego of Phil Fish?
I'll call a mea culpa on this one since I was talking about something based on other people's opinions without really looking into it. I mean, honestly, based on what I'd heard, I was expecting something completely different.
Old 08-01-2013, 04:57 PM   #240
Luckyday
Mad Scientist

Great, now I owe Cyber an apologize.
Luckyday is offline   Reply With Quote