The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Old 09-02-2017, 02:18 PM   #161
RaphaelinSTL
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSkeletonMan939 View Post
Source? That seems really unlikely to me; vinyl is doing unusually well but I can hardly imagine an album (film score or not) on vinyl selling better than its CD counterpart.
I remember this from 2015 - but I know that vinyl sales are still on the rise for 2017.

I mean ... maybe something like Taylor Swift's newest album might have more CD sales compared to vinyl, but generally I've seen the shift in popular music favor more towards wax.
Old 09-02-2017, 04:02 PM   #162
TheSkeletonMan939
A New Day, A New Headache

I didn't see anything in those articles explicitly saying that vinyl records are flat-out outselling CDs. It could be a situation where, in 2015, you sell 1 record for every 10 CDs, but in 2016, 2 records for every 5 CDs. Sales are increasing and decreasing respectively in that scenario, but CDs are still the better-selling format.

There was an "incident" a year ago though wherein a Bernard Herrmann score - Twisted Nerve - was released on vinyl only. Well actually it was a vinyl/CD/digital download set all in one package, which everyone thought was ridiculous. I don't know how well the release did, but it gave the company - Stylotone - a bit of a bad rep in the film score community. People here are die-hard turtle fans and if the music is released on some weird format, they'll buy it. Other people won't. Film score geeks are very comfortable with CDs and even digital downloads, but in a time where complete scores are released every single month on 2+CD sets, I don't think many want to return to vinyl.

Now granted there are some scores that do well on vinyl. LLL, Intrada, and even Varese have tried their luck and I think it's generally paid off, provided they choose the titles carefully. I think Star Trek: The Motion Picture on vinyl was a knockout for LLL, for instance.

Last edited by TheSkeletonMan939; 09-02-2017 at 06:53 PM.
TheSkeletonMan939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 11:58 PM   #163
d_osborn
Mad Scientist

Quote:
I didn't see anything in those articles explicitly saying that vinyl records are flat-out outselling CDs. It could be a situation where, in 2015, you sell 1 record for every 10 CDs, but in 2016, 2 records for every 5 CDs. Sales are increasing and decreasing respectively in that scenario, but CDs are still the better-selling format.

There was an "incident" a year ago though wherein a Bernard Herrmann score - Twisted Nerve - was released on vinyl only. Well actually it was a vinyl/CD/digital download set all in one package, which everyone thought was ridiculous. I don't know how well the release did, but it gave the company - Stylotone - a bit of a bad rep in the film score community. People here are die-hard turtle fans and if the music is released on some weird format, they'll buy it. Other people won't. Film score geeks are very comfortable with CDs and even digital downloads, but in a time where complete scores are released every single month on 2+CD sets, I don't think many want to return to vinyl.

Now granted there are some scores that do well on vinyl. LLL, Intrada, and even Varese have tried their luck and I think it's generally paid off, provided they choose the titles carefully. I think Star Trek: The Motion Picture on vinyl was a knockout for LLL, for instance.
A TMNT score will be going after a far different audience than Bernard Herman.
d_osborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 06:50 AM   #164
TheSkeletonMan939

I know, but a release like this can't be expected to capture the interests of TMNT fans alone. And if they want to make a profit, or at least make up for cost of production, they'll almost certainly want to branch out beyond only our fandom. I was just thinking of the last time a "vinyl-only" release happened for a score (which isn't even that well-known) and the reaction to it from the film score aficiandos. I'm saying this from the perspective of "a TMNT score release is probably expensive".

Last edited by TheSkeletonMan939; 09-03-2017 at 06:55 AM.
Old 09-03-2017, 01:16 PM   #165
d_osborn
Mad Scientist

Current TMNT licensee Mondo seems to do very well with vinyl pressings of extremely niche movie scores.

https://mondotees.com/collections/music
Old 09-03-2017, 01:47 PM   #166
TheSkeletonMan939

Those all look like the same program you'd find on CD, except on vinyl; those have less hurdles to jump. They're reissues. I think only one track from the whole TMNT score has ever been officially released, but even this might require a need to negotiate with Geffen Records for its use (unless that track was a suite or something) before moving on to acquiring the other legal necessities.

Anyway, I'm not trying to be a party pooper or anything, just making conversation about the viability of "special presentations" of film scores on vinyl.
Old 09-03-2017, 06:18 PM   #167
d_osborn
Mad Scientist

I think there's a huge viability in special releases of movie scores on vinyl. See above. The market seems to be doing very well. Gorgeous jacket art, to boot. Just because it's released on vinyl doesn't mean there won't be a CD release.

Time will tell! I'm buying either way, but I would prefer vinyl.
Old 09-05-2017, 08:07 PM   #168
at478
Random Punk

huh

someone named andy sent this to me in a private message
Hi,

I'm trading the sessions for Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2 and 3 by John du Prez, because they are not allowed to be shared here.

John du Prez:
TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES 2
45 tracks - 51 min
true recording sessions
completely unreleased

John du Prez:
TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES 3
43 tracks - 67 min
true recording sessions
completely unreleased

Drop me a line if you are interested. Jack be quick, as I'll only be here tonight!
at478 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 02:47 AM   #169
Leonardo87
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by at478 View Post
someone named andy sent this to me in a private message
Hi,

I'm trading the sessions for Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2 and 3 by John du Prez, because they are not allowed to be shared here.

John du Prez:
TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES 2
45 tracks - 51 min
true recording sessions
completely unreleased

John du Prez:
TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES 3
43 tracks - 67 min
true recording sessions
completely unreleased

Drop me a line if you are interested. Jack be quick, as I'll only be here tonight!
It's a scam. Don't buy into it. Just wait until it's officially released when it does.
Leonardo87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 05:54 AM   #170
TheSkeletonMan939

'Andy' is a scalper who gets the bootlegs that all the normal traders have and tries to re-sell them to people who don't waste their time with that. He does this on other websites too and it's pretty annoying.
Old 09-06-2017, 06:16 AM   #171
at478
Random Punk

oh

thx for the heads up. i knew it would be a scam. if i didnt have anything to trade, he wanted me to give give him $50 bucks for both scores through paypal. that's shady.
Old 09-06-2017, 05:11 PM   #172
sgtfbomb
Stone Warrior

Quote:
'Andy' is a scalper who gets the bootlegs that all the normal traders have and tries to re-sell them to people who don't waste their time with that. He does this on other websites too and it's pretty annoying.
I got two messages from the guy on another forum. So this person's also bugging people here?
sgtfbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 05:43 PM   #173
at478
Random Punk

trade

no this is from ffshrine sgft
Old 09-07-2017, 12:39 PM   #174
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtfbomb View Post
Vinyl would be cool, but it's not very practical for me. I don't own a record player, so an LP would just be something cool to look at. Heck, soundtracks are the only albums I still buy in CD format.
i tend to find whenever a video game soundtrack is released on vinyl someone buys it, doesn't have a record player and so just leaves it as a collector's item gathering dust. With CD soundtracks at least you feel tempted to actually use them.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 12:23 PM   #175
TheSkeletonMan939

Well, something finally leaked over at a certain website...

Spoiler:
TMNT II

1m1 Opening
1m2 Keno Interrupts Robbery
1m2 Turtles Arrive
1m3 Main Titles
2m1 Turtles Disappear
2m2 Aprils Apartment
2m4-5 Junkyard
2m6 Shredders Revenge
2m7 Splinter Sees the News
3m1 Mutant Dandelions
3m2 New Mission
3m3 Splinters Decision
3m3Alt Splinters Decision
3m5-6 Ooze Football
4m1 Keno Finds the Boys
4m2 New Recruit
4m3-4 Professors Protest
4m5 New Home
4m6 Shredder Grows Impatient
5m1 Mutants Revealed
5m2 Professor Pleads
5m3 Keno and Ralph
5m4 Keno's Test
6m1-2 Escape from Junkyard
6m3 Junkyard Ambush
6m4 Junkyard Fight
6m5 A Way Out
6m6 This Little Tokka
7m3 Meet Your Maker
7m5 Donatello's Troubles
7m6 Teeth and Claws
8m1 Shredders Message
8m2 Weird Science
8m3 Mickey's Idea
8m4 Warehouse Ambush
8m5 Tokka and Rahzar
9m1 Keno and Splinter
9m2 Pt. 2 Guitar Shredder
9m2 Shredder Crashes the Party
9m4 Cowabunga
9m5 Super Shredder
10m1 Dock Aftermath
10m2 Boys Return Home
10m2Alt Boys Return Home
Bells and Timpani Roll

TMNT III
1m1 Prologue
1m3 April Brings Gifts - The Sceptre
1m4-2m1 Walker Arrives at Norinaga Castle - A Present from the Past
2m2 Out Cold
2m3 April & The Guards
2m4-2m5 Some Sort of Witch
2m7a She Has No Power
2m7b I Want Her To Suffer
2m8 Heavy Artillery
3m1 April Caged
3m3 Turtles Back In Time
3m4 ''We're In Shogun''
3m5 Michaelangelo Taken - Back to the Future
3m6 Turtles at Norinaga Castle
4m1 The Three Stooges
4m2 Prison Breakout
4m2a Mud Bath
4m5 Serenity
4m6 Ambush
4m7 Good News
5m1-5m1a Burning the Village
5m2 Rescuing Yoshi
6m1 Guns for Gold
6m2 Lighthorse'turtle'
6m3 April Showers
6m4 Kenshin's Demands
6m5 Hockey Match
6m6 Running Out Of Time
6m7-6m8 Yoshi Plays - Firing Range
7m2 Cultural Exchange
7m3 The Deal is Signed
7m4 Butter Fingers
7m5 Sceptre Found
7m6-8m1 Mitsu and the Sceptre Taken
8m2 Getting Totally Vertical
8m3-8m4 Ancient Us - Good Job Us
9m1-9m2 Fight at Norinaga
9m3-9m4-9m4a Leonardo's Bluff
9m5-9m5a Walker's End
10m2 Kenshin Activates the Sceptre
10m4 Destiny, What A Drag
10m5-10m6 History Restored
10m7 Yo, Dude!
I don't know if I'm allowed to post a link here or even talk about it, given the dubious legality of it. Just, er, PM me with any questions.
Old 10-08-2017, 03:27 PM   #176
sgtfbomb
Stone Warrior

Looking at that site, they're listing it as "recording sessions." Is that accurate? I believe SOTO isn't technically complete. IIRC "A Way Out" should have included the "Step up to the bar boys!" bit. Unless it appears somewhere else?
Old 10-08-2017, 04:10 PM   #177
TheSkeletonMan939

I believe TMNT II is missing a cue or two. No clue about the compeleteness TMNT III, but both should be more than enough for people to enjoy. The term "recordings sessions" is very, very loosely used for just about any of these leaks. I've only ever actually seen one set of honest recording sessions leak.
Old 10-08-2017, 07:27 PM   #178
Sabacooza
Mad Scientist

I got them but the 3rd film score is all flac files. I have to look into how to convert them.

All we need now is the holy grail of film scores that being the 1990 movie.
Sabacooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 08:46 PM   #179
TheSkeletonMan939

According to the rumor mill, the original score is on analog rather than DAT, which makes transferring the elements a little harder. Plus it's probably more "valuable" since it's the original (no one cares about II or III as much as the first) and wouldn't leak as quickly.

btw... there are seven missing cues from II. The DAT tape was apparently damaged and they were un-salvageable.

Last edited by TheSkeletonMan939; 10-09-2017 at 11:24 AM.
Old 10-09-2017, 07:42 AM   #180
sgtfbomb
Stone Warrior

I guess time will tell on those missing tracks. I feel like an official release for some of these scores, if not all, isn't too far off.