The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 01-04-2011, 07:54 PM   #341
ToTheNines
[sic]

That's just one segment of it. It eventually pops back in time, showing Shadow as a kid.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 08:02 PM   #342
DrSpengler
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Unless I'm reading this wrong, Tales #69 (the one with adult Shadow) doesn't seem to be listed under, "The Future" section of the timeline.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
That's just one segment of it. It eventually pops back in time, showing Shadow as a kid.
Yep.

"Dark Shadows" was framed by a story involving young Raph deciding whether to teach teen-Shadow martial arts and the outcome it might have. With that in mind, I placed the story in the "Prelude to Vol 4" era with the other teen Shadow stories.

Sort of like how I placed "Loops" in the "Early Years" era even though young Leo was only one of 4 perspectives (though i felt his POV was the strongest, hence the placement).
DrSpengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 06:32 PM   #343
DrSpengler
Foot Elite

Looks like my timeline has made it all the way to Russia.

Looks like they're using a slightly outdated version; I've adjusted it a bit since. And they omitted all of Vol. 3.

Still; it's flattering (and I'm grateful they creditted me; at least they're keping it honest!).

My manga translations have been translated into Russian recently, too. Oldmanwinters sent me a link. Didn't realize Russia had such a strong TMNT fandom.
Old 01-09-2011, 09:06 PM   #344
John Pannozzi
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSpengler View Post
Looks like my timeline has made it all the way to Russia.

Looks like they're using a slightly outdated version; I've adjusted it a bit since. And they omitted all of Vol. 3.
Look carefully at that site and there's a link (labeled "Image", I think) to a version of the timeline that includes the Image stuff.

Anyway, what are the reasons that TMNT v.1 #41, "Turtle Dreams" by Matt Howarth, isn't considered canon (and don't be too spoilerish, as I haven't read it yet)?

Could Savage Dragon #41 (in which the Turtles attend the Dragon's wedding alongside a slew of other comics characters) and the Savage Dragon/Destroyer Duck special be added, since all the other TMNT/TSD crossovers have been?
Originally Posted by Bergerjacques
It was definitely not a kid's book.
That was the thing that always mystified me about the turn the franchise took when Eastman and Laird licensed the cartoon and the parallel comic book published by the same outfit that gave us Archie. The turtles' original origin story? The whole thing hinges on a for-Christ's-sake rape-murder!!!!
from here.
John Pannozzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 09:20 PM   #345
DrSpengler
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Pannozzi View Post
, what are the reasons that TMNT v.1 #41, "Turtle Dreams" by Matt Howarth, isn't considered canon (and don't be too spoilerish, as I haven't read it yet)?
Lemme fish my copy out and I'll get back to you on that. I recall having a good reason...

Quote:
Could Savage Dragon #41 (in which the Turtles attend the Dragon's wedding alongside a slew of other comics characters) and the Savage Dragon/Destroyer Duck special be added, since all the other TMNT/TSD crossovers have been?
Didn't know about those and actually haven't read them yet. I'll see if I can't get ahold of some copies.
Old 01-09-2011, 09:45 PM   #346
Powder
So tired of this place

I knew about the Destroyer Duck crossover, but not SD #41. Gonna have to pick that up!

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 12:27 AM   #347
CyberCubed
Overlord

The only reason the Image superheroes being in Turtles doesn't feel, "out of place" or "shark jumping," is because superheroes have always been established as part of the Turtles universe since #15 back in Vol. 1.

The Turtles running across some Image superheroes is no different than Nobody, Radical, Raptaar, or so forth.

You don't even have to know the history of those characters, its entirely irrelevant. They're just other superheroes to me, I don't give a **** who Vanguard is otherwise.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 12:07 AM   #348
CyberCubed
Overlord

Does Leatherhead wanting the transmat rebuilt in Image really not make sense anymore after those Tales issues? We know Leatherhead goes crazy in both series, but I can't remember if the Turtles act like they didn't help him with the transmat.
Old 02-06-2011, 07:24 AM   #349
DrSpengler
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Does Leatherhead wanting the transmat rebuilt in Image really not make sense anymore after those Tales issues? We know Leatherhead goes crazy in both series, but I can't remember if the Turtles act like they didn't help him with the transmat.
When Leo recalls their last encounter with Leatherhead during TMNT (Vol. 3) #17, his memories end with TMNT #45 (as that had been, at the time, the last time Leatherhead was ever seen).

It is discontinuity and would porbably require a No Prize or two to rectify it.
Old 02-07-2011, 12:31 AM   #350
CyberCubed
Overlord

So its really not worth thinking about right? This is what happens when you try to make new stories back when they didn't originally appear.

You know its kinda funny thinking Leatherhead was only ever in two issues before he appears in Image. The character was really underused back then.
Old 02-07-2011, 08:09 AM   #351
ToTheNines
[sic]

Yeah, I don't think there's really any No Prize needed. From what I recall, Leo was just inner-monolouging to breif the audience, so there's isn't any damage done to the actual plot.
Old 02-07-2011, 01:08 PM   #352
CyberCubed
Overlord

I wonder how much reading of Vol. 1 did Gary actually do. Did he have all the books in front of him for proper continuity, or did PL just give him a brief outline of everything that happened in Vol 1 and 2 so far?
Old 02-07-2011, 02:20 PM   #353
John Pannozzi
Stone Warrior

Now this is interesting. There's a Savage Dragon timeline out there, which may help to remedy where certain Image/TSD titles involving the Turtles fall in. (I'll just assume the entirety of TMNT vol. 3 including the forthcoming fan-made finisher took place just before Mars Attacks IMAGE, based on this timeline).

You also might want to copy the way they explain stories that overlap with one another.

Example from the Savage Dragon timeline:
Quote:
Originally Posted by the Image Comics message board
The Dragon 5 (Pages 1-16)
Savage Dragon: Blood & Guts 1
Savage Dragon: Blood & Guts 2
Savage Dragon: Blood & Guts 3
ShadowHawk 3
ShadowHawk 4
Bombast 1
The Dragon 5 (Pages 17-22)
And here's my own modification of one section of the TMNT Mirage timeline:

Quote:
Originally Posted by me
TMNT Vol. 1 #1 – The Turtles’ Origin is Told (Pages 1-23) (review)
Turtle Soup Vol. 2 #4 – Fifteen Years Later...† (review)
TMNT Vol. 1 #1 – The Turtles’ Origin is Told (Pages 24-40) (review)
That was the thing that always mystified me about the turn the franchise took when Eastman and Laird licensed the cartoon and the parallel comic book published by the same outfit that gave us Archie. The turtles' original origin story? The whole thing hinges on a for-Christ's-sake rape-murder!!!!
from here.
Old 02-08-2011, 10:18 AM   #354
DrSpengler
Foot Elite

I'll see about implementing that.

My fear is overloading the timeline with too much text and notation, but off the top of my head, only two comics take place between pages ("Dants Fever" and "15 Years Later"), so it shouldn't be much of a problem.

I make sure to also include such info in the Turtle Tips for each review, so if folks click the "review" link, they can find that placement info there. Though it mayrequire too much digging on the rader's part and counterproductive to the point of the timeline to have all the necessary info in one spot.
Old 02-12-2011, 07:15 PM   #355
John Pannozzi
Stone Warrior

And I found an earlier Savage Dragon timeline that includes more of TMNT vol.3.
from here.
Old 04-21-2011, 06:49 PM   #356
ToTheNines
[sic]

I feel like "The Survival Game" should take place after "Not Forgotten". The didn't seem to have much freedom in "Not Forgotten".

Just nit-picking... cause I haven't in a while lol.
Old 04-22-2011, 03:08 PM   #357
DrSpengler
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
I feel like "The Survival Game" should take place after "Not Forgotten". The didn't seem to have much freedom in "Not Forgotten".

Just nit-picking... cause I haven't in a while lol.
Good call.

I moved "Not Forgotten" to after "The Passing". I also bumped "The Survival Game" to after "Bottoming Out". In "Bottoming Out", their street-level excursion was being monitored by Splinter, whereas in "The Survival Game" and stories afterward, they're allowed above ground unsupervised.
Old 04-27-2011, 08:59 PM   #358
ToTheNines
[sic]

So I'm thinking "The Proposal" needs to be moved before The Gang Wars. First of all it's awfully close to the Image series for Shadow to be so young. Secondly, it features Karai leading The Foot (her faction, at least), it's hinted at in the Image series that something could have happened to Karai during the The Gang Wars, since she'd been missing for a while. And I realize the ninja in this issue are not Shredder Loyalists, but anything with treaty-abiding Foot Ninja works better before The Gang Wars.

Plus Casey and April could have been engaged in "Hun", there's no evidence against it.

If you agree and make the change, you might as well put those second Savage Dragon cross-over issues under the Image Volume 3 section, even though they'll be missing the green highlights. And of course remove the "(cont.)" from the second part of the "Mirage Volume 3" section.

Also, is there any room for a gap in the narrative of the Image run to allow a winter season? The 23 issues span a whole year, but there's never any evidence of snow. Obviously this isn't going to effect the timeline in any way, I'm just curious and I thought I'd ask you since I don't want to read through the Image series until I'm about to recieve # 24 from Andrew.

Last edited by ToTheNines; 04-28-2011 at 06:34 AM.
Old 04-29-2011, 09:57 AM   #359
ToTheNines
[sic]

Looking at it more, I feel like the second Savage Dragon crossover should be before The Gang Wars.

Leo says that Raph has just been itching for a fight for weeks, which could tie in to the fact that even though weapons were drawn, there was no fight with the Foot in "The Proposal", and I feel like Raph would have been all fought out after the Gang Wars conclusion lol
Old 05-14-2011, 07:05 PM   #360
ToTheNines
[sic]

Like I said in the other thread: Now that Image # 24 is out, "Change of Power" feels way better else where on the timeline. Might I suggest the tail end of the Volume 2 era?

Moving it there solves the little problem of Hattori's issues being so close to one another. If you're iffy about it, perhaps you could run it by Ross.

Tags
comics, timeline, tmnt entity