The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 10-03-2017, 12:20 PM   #41
ChosenOne
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruz View Post
I liked it as far as Stan Sakai’s style goes, but I think we need one more IDW TMNT/Usagi crossover, this time by the IDW writers/artists.

Every crossover has Sakai’s complete control it seems. I’d love to see Usagi drawn by one of the main IDW illustrators and involved in a story in the turtles world, instead of them being dragged back to his world (again).
Agreed. Santolouco's Usagi is outrageously good, I really want to see that in canon one day.
ChosenOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 08:04 AM   #42
Mutant Ninja Anole
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruz View Post
I liked it as far as Stan Sakai’s style goes, but I think we need one more IDW TMNT/Usagi crossover, this time by the IDW writers/artists.

Every crossover has Sakai’s complete control it seems. I’d love to see Usagi drawn by one of the main IDW illustrators and involved in a story in the turtles world, instead of them being dragged back to his world (again).
Normally I'm fine with things like this but something about this gives me pause. That, at this point, seeing anyone but Sakai writing for Usagi in comic form seems, I don't know, 'sacrilegious' or something.
Old 10-04-2017, 03:37 PM   #43
ToTheNines
[sic]

Peter Laird did it.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 04:59 PM   #44
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

I'm so late to the party I think everyone has packed up and gone home. But I was waiting for the HC. Sadly I can't double dip on everything. Anyways here are some of my thoughts.

The last panel on the fourth page was hilarious with the finger in the ear. The big center fold was an unexpected treat. The extras made this book worth every penny of the $11.99 I paid. The inclusion of the story outlines, thumbnail layouts and the first crossover between TMNT and Usagi being a few of my favorites.

Looking at the colors by Tom Luth was like cake for my eyeballs. I also enjoyed reading the afterward by Sakai. The image of a Catfish being used on emergency information in Japan was particularly cool to discover. And the Ciro Nieli page right before the afterword is fantastic.

Any fan that doesn't plan on grabbing this edition is definitely depriving themselves of a great time.
TurtleWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 04:13 AM   #45
Mayhem
Foot Elite

I had the softcover for a while, but I only just got the hardcover this week. Didn't realise it would still be comic sized but that definitely helps storage! And I agree, all the extras are great, and well worth picking up this if no other edition. There's always a lot of fascination in Stan's creation process, and how he thumbnails out stories when writing. Some of us fans (hint hint!) have even been the subject of his thumbnail process

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleWA View Post
Looking at the colors by Tom Luth was like cake for my eyeballs.
There was a time Tom did hand colouring as well, I consider myself fortunate to own a piece that was drawn and inked by Stan, and then hand coloured by Tom...

http://www.comicartfans.com/galleryp...p?piece=873137
Old 10-11-2017, 12:23 PM   #46
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
Some of us fans (hint hint!) have even been the subject of his thumbnail process
Would you mind telling me a little more about this?

Quote:
There was a time Tom did hand colouring as well, I consider myself fortunate to own a piece that was drawn and inked by Stan, and then hand coloured by Tom...

http://www.comicartfans.com/gallery ...p?piece=873137
brilliant!!!
Old 10-11-2017, 04:53 PM   #47
Mayhem
Foot Elite

Quote:
Would you mind telling me a little more about this?
At some conventions, Stan has put on a panel about Usagi. During said panel, he may go into his process for how he creates each issue, starting with research, plotting the story, breaking it down so it will fit into the requisite number of pages, and plotting out thumbnail sketches for how he is going to lay out the artwork for each panel. This way he can accurately fit the story into however much space he has got.

For the thumbnail part, he has often demonstrated this by taking a member of the audience and using them as the subject matter instead. So I was called upon one time as said subject matter, but given Stan knows me pretty well, he was able to just launch into the process without having to ask me any questions or pick an interest to cover

(yes, obviously I got to keep it!)

Having said that, it doesn't quite, almost but not quite, beat the fact I've actually been drawn in an issue of Usagi as well...!
Old 10-11-2017, 06:19 PM   #48
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

Quote:
At some conventions, Stan has put on a panel about Usagi. During said panel, he may go into his process for how he creates each issue, starting with research, plotting the story, breaking it down so it will fit into the requisite number of pages, and plotting out thumbnail sketches for how he is going to lay out the artwork for each panel. This way he can accurately fit the story into however much space he has got.

For the thumbnail part, he has often demonstrated this by taking a member of the audience and using them as the subject matter instead. So I was called upon one time as said subject matter, but given Stan knows me pretty well, he was able to just launch into the process without having to ask me any questions or pick an interest to cover

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3432/...f83ca48d29.jpg

(yes, obviously I got to keep it!)

Having said that, it doesn't quite, almost but not quite, beat the fact I've actually been drawn in an issue of Usagi as well...!
Dude, that's awesome! Would you say the story depicted in the photo you just posted is an accurate representation?
Old 10-12-2017, 03:16 AM   #49
Mayhem
Foot Elite

Quote:
Dude, that's awesome! Would you say the story depicted in the photo you just posted is an accurate representation?
Well it was done at San Diego, so in the context of the event (and that I had bought a fair bit from Stan prior to that point), probably so

(the "Stan Sakai is a genius" part he does with everyone mind you!)
Old 10-12-2017, 12:47 PM   #50
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

Quote:
(the "Stan Sakai is a genius" part he does with everyone mind you!)
Sakai seems to have a great sense of humor.