The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Video Games

Notices

Old 07-17-2017, 09:54 AM   #21
The Deadman
Foot Elite

New Atari Console Will Bring "Current Gaming Content" As Well As Classic Titles
https://www.gamespot.com/articles/ne.../1100-6451738/

Last Movie Watched: Hell House LLC (2015).
Last TV Show Watched: Adventures of Sonic The Hedgehog (S1:E29).
The Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 12:35 PM   #22
Ninjinister
無問題

It's sounding more and more like just another Android box, maybe with its own storefront like OUYA and Gamestick.
Old 07-17-2017, 10:22 PM   #23
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Yup, looks like it's exactly what I thought it was going to be. Which I already posted here and I also put it up on my website when the console was first announced. Anything else would be impossible for them. I wouldn't compare it to the Ouya though.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 10:43 PM   #24
Ninjinister
無問題

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
Yup, looks like it's exactly what I thought it was going to be. Which I already posted here and I also put it up on my website when the console was first announced. Anything else would be impossible for them. I wouldn't compare it to the Ouya though.
Of course not. To compare the two would imply I had interest in the Ataribox.
Old 07-18-2017, 11:42 AM   #25
sdp
Megan Fox = April

The Ouya looked like trash to me since it was first announced, I don't know what people were expecting. They delivered exactly what they said they would.

If marketed correctly, sold at a decent price and powerful enough I think Ataribox can find a niche of impulse casual gamers.

The only reason I won't say it will is because they just showed what the console will look like through a CG render, that doesn't speak well for the development of this product, I'm guessing they'll throw the potential away and release something really bare bones.
Old 07-18-2017, 12:52 PM   #26
Ninjinister
無問題

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
The Ouya looked like trash to me since it was first announced, I don't know what people were expecting. They delivered exactly what they said they would.
It delivered more than I expected and that's why I enjoyed the hell out of it. Of course, maybe it doesn't hurt that I got it for $18. But still, when I see people disparage it, especially when they seem to understand what they were actually going for as it looks like you do... I have to wonder what their threshold for relative quality is. How can something be "trash" if it did exactly as it was supposed to (you know, except for actual trash)?

Like the Wii U and the Vita, I feel like the main reason it failed was because enough people expected it to to where it affected it.
Old 07-18-2017, 05:10 PM   #27
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjinister View Post
Like the Wii U and the Vita, I feel like the main reason it failed was because enough people expected it to to where it affected it.
I don't know how to read that sentence, but it sounds deep, man!

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 02:43 PM   #28
Logan
Hench Mutant

The second coming of Atari will bring another market crash apocalypse.

In all seriousness, Atari's got an uphill battle. Console gaming in general seems to be taking a backseat to PC. That's my experience, anyway. They'll have to do something to advance gaming rather than being tangential to it.

-Leonardo

Logan the Layman Critic, a youtube channel for movie reviews and animation appreciation.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjn...xrKPml1WlYh6Mw
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 03:13 PM   #29
tmntfannumerouno
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
Some do, from following "retro gamers" on Youtube. Prolly doesn't matter though, I suspect Atari will be targeting a bit of an older demo anyway.
Not only that but they had to of seen all the flashback plug and plays too.
tmntfannumerouno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 01:22 PM   #30
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Quote:
A few new details on Atari’s upcoming Ataribox console have leaked out today. The company has revealed that it’s planning on selling the Ataribox through an Indiegogo campaign this fall for a vague $250 to $300 price range ahead of a spring 2018 release date, according to a report by VentureBeat.

The report also revealed some more information about what to expect from the hardware and software for the Ataribox, which will run a custom AMD processor with Radeon graphics. It will also run Linux as an operating system, with a custom UI on top that will presumably make things a little more user-friendly for a TV interface and controller.

Atari also clarified what gamers will be able to play on the Ataribox. It plans on offering a mix of classic Atari titles and more modern PC games, although the company is cautioning that the Ataribox will only be able compete with more midrange computers — so think smaller titles like Minecraft, not larger AAA ones like Call of Duty.
It's mostly what I thought it would be but more expensive than what I was expecting it and it will also go through crowdfunding, so it has a few hurdles that I don't think it'll be able to pass but I would love if if it did. It'd be nice if it ran Windows 10 so steam was already compatible, make a decent machine and boom you have every hackers perfect emulation machine that can play mid range Steam games.

Last edited by sdp; 09-26-2017 at 02:47 PM.
Old 09-26-2017, 02:15 PM   #31
Ninjinister
無問題

So it's just a Linux box preinstalled with Atari games?

(Also did they really "leak" if Atari themselves said it in an article?)
Old 09-26-2017, 02:49 PM   #32
sdp
Megan Fox = April

well that's the verge's "reporting" for you.

But yeah just a linux steambox it seems, if they don't sweeten the deal I think it won't even reach funding if they don't market this correctly.