The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 04-30-2016, 12:57 PM   #1
triplexxx
Mad Scientist

TMNT are official NYC ambassadors for 2016

NEW YORK (AP) — Cowabunga, dudes! The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles are New York City's official family ambassadors for 2016.

The city's tourism agency, NYC & Company, has announced that the sewer-dwelling reptiles will star in ads to encourage families to explore New York.

Agency CEO Fred Dixon says the turtles are "the perfect guides to help families discover the vibrancy and excitement throughout the five boroughs."

The crime-fighting ninja turtles — Donatello, Michelangelo, Leonardo and Raphael — started out in comic books in the 1980s before branching out to TV and film. The latest movie came out in 2014 and a sequel is set for release in June.

They succeed Dora the Explorer, who served as last year's ambassador.
Please don't shoot me Mr. Big Mike. I'm too young and good-looking to die, well too young. I got a father, I got a mother, I got a grandmother, I got a little sister...and a little brother this high (raises hand), and a little brother this high (lowers hand), and little brother this high (lowers hand), and a little brother this high (lowers hand), and a little brother this high (lowers hand) and then I got a great big brother this high (slaps gun and runs).
"Fright Night" - Three Stooges
triplexxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 05:55 PM   #2
The Deadman
Foot Elite

Do they get a key to every pizza place in the city?

Last Movie Watched: Hell House LLC (2015).
Last TV Show Watched: Adventures of Sonic The Hedgehog (S1:E29).
The Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 08:09 PM   #3
Shark_Blade
Emperor

More promo for the 2016 movie!
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 08:28 PM   #4
TonySiegel
Stone Warrior

and not a single alley or sewer was explored...

"...Color or creed, is no need for a man to bleed/ I believe, we all breathe the same seed/ Unless it's diluted, for somethin to intrude it..." - Kool G. Rap
TonySiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 04:05 PM   #5
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Guess who is being kept on to be the Ambassadors again this year!

Quote:
http://blog.timesunion.com/travelgal...ssadors/15643/

The first-ever Ambassador to embark on a two-year partnership, the new campaign features new Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles artwork, exciting family-friendly itineraries across all five boroughs, interactive SMS messaging with exclusive content, and more.

“We’re excited to have the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles welcome family travelers to NYC for a second year, this time with richer NYC travel content and interactive features for visitors,” said Fred Dixon, president and CEO of NYC & Company. “Just as each family visiting NYC has their own unique interests, each Turtle has their own favorite activities across the five boroughs, and we’re pleased to bring those itineraries to life for our visiting families.”

“We are thrilled to continue our partnership with NYC & Company, with the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles assuming the mantle of New York City Family Ambassadors for a milestone second consecutive year,” said Pam Kaufman, Global Chief Marketing Officer and President of Consumer Products, Nickelodeon Group. “New York is a family vacation hotspot, jam-packed with exciting things to do on every corner so it’s a no-brainer to have the beloved Turtles who know the ins and outs of the city, serving as ambassadors and representing the fun and adventure that can be found on these iconic city streets.”

With personalities ranging from adventurer to foodie, each of the four Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles has their own favorite destinations to discover across NYC, and now family visitors can to. Itineraries and maps catered to each turtle are featured on nycgo.com/family, providing families with tools and inspiration to plan their own NYC adventures. Five new creative posters feature itinerary-style illustrations of each Turtle’s tours across the five boroughs, from Leo’s adventurous side enjoying Staten Island’s Chinese Scholar Garden, to Donnie learning at the Hayden Planetarium at the American Museum of Natural History.

https://www.nycgo.com/maps-guides/family-friendly

Also, there's some cute Nick Turtles art on its site.

Spoiler:

IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 05:27 PM   #6
Powder
So tired of this place

Sweet! I believe the artist is Patrick Spaziante.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 05:28 PM   #7
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

That art is pretty great. I also like that they're been kept on even though the IP's public light is waning at the moment (no movie to promote, cartoon winding down and a new one starting next year)...
Old 06-08-2017, 05:37 PM   #8
Powder
So tired of this place

The turtles will always be NY staples. They get a lotta love in their "home state"!

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 05:40 PM   #9
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
The turtles will always be NY staples. They get a lotta love in their "home state"!
Absolutely. Kinda surprises me it took until 2016. Or was this a thing back in Turtlemania, too?
Old 06-08-2017, 06:14 PM   #10
ranger_scout
Foot Elite

This is a nice little surprise. I was expecting it to be the characters from The Secret Life of Pets since their movie was such a huge blockbuster and it was set in New York.
ranger_scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 08:41 PM   #11
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
Absolutely. Kinda surprises me it took until 2016. Or was this a thing back in Turtlemania, too?
Article (in a part I didn't copy/paste) mentions the family ambassador program started in 2009, and mentions a few previous characters, but couldn't find a list of all of them. Likewise I'm surprised it took as long as it did, and that far into Nick's series.

But at least some smart person finally figured out their #1 guys for the job.

If anyone finds that 5th piece of art of all of them, sans the rest of the site header stuck as part of the same file, share please. Article has it and clickable, but its tiny.

edit: Never mind... remembered Google's reverse image search. (At least the article version.)
Spoiler:

Old 06-08-2017, 08:42 PM   #12
sdp
Megan Fox = April

What other fictional characters have been NYC ambassadors?

Many fictional heroes and icons have lived in NYC. I hope Godzilla 98 makes it.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 08:50 PM   #13
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
http://blog.timesunion.com/travelgal...ssadors/15643/

The Teenage Mutant Nina Turtles are the eighth Family Ambassador after Dora and Friends in 2015, Curious George in 2014, Where’s Waldo? in 2013, The Muppets in 2012, The Smurfs in 2011, Dora the Explorer in 2010 and Sesame Street in 2009.
Never mind, I guess that was all of them, I feel like there should have been more already.

Er, yeah... not sure Godzilla is gonna fit what they're looking for. Reptar might be the closest if Rugrats ever came back.

I guess we're just ignoring that Dora has done it twice and not counting it since it was separate series. lol
Old 06-09-2017, 12:21 AM   #14
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
NYC seems to be the home of many fictional characters, from cartoon/comic to live action ones, so it can't be the Turtles every year
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 06:04 AM   #15
BubblyShell22
Leo-holic

This is pretty awesome and I'm glad the Turtles have gotten recognition two years in a row.

"Embrace your inner a**holiness."-Mr. Anderson.
BubblyShell22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 08:07 PM   #16
Machias Banshee
Super Moderator

Very nice! I love the artwork...
Machias Banshee is offline   Reply With Quote