The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2018, 03:34 PM   #361
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 33,924
The series won't sell enough to continue with new issues from scratch. It's why it ended in the first place. And the comic book market now in 2019+ is even worse than it was in 1998-1999 when they originally planned to end it. We're lucky we're even getting 3 new issues as it is.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 08:13 PM   #362
AquaParade
Big Boss
 
AquaParade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 3,530
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
The series won't sell enough to continue with new issues from scratch. It's why it ended in the first place. And the comic book market now in 2019+ is even worse than it was in 1998-1999 when they originally planned to end it. We're lucky we're even getting 3 new issues as it is.
Good point. Plus, it’s more expensive to produce now that it has color.

Although, say it sells better than TMNT Universe? Hard to conjure a reason why they wouldn’t keep it going, assuming they can work out a pay rate with the creators.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 09:12 PM   #363
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 13,691
Looking at the numbers, it looks like sales began around 16,000 in 1996 and dropped to about 5,000 by around #21 in 1999.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 10:45 AM   #364
CJStyles
Hench Mutant
 
CJStyles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 273
From what I read, it also doesn’t help there were delays and what not that ruined sells.
__________________
CJStyles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 08:03 AM   #365
pferreira
Mad Scientist
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1,599
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
The series won't sell enough to continue with new issues from scratch. It's why it ended in the first place. And the comic book market now in 2019+ is even worse than it was in 1998-1999 when they originally planned to end it. We're lucky we're even getting 3 new issues as it is.
Not sure if this has been asked already so apologies in advance but does anyone have sales figures comparisons for the original prints of Volume 3 and the reprints we're getting now?
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 08:42 AM   #366
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Black Order Initiate
 
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 12,914
Quote:
Originally Posted by pferreira View Post
Not sure if this has been asked already so apologies in advance but does anyone have sales figures comparisons for the original prints of Volume 3 and the reprints we're getting now?
A little too soon to tell, man. #1 issues always skew high. Wait a few months.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Technodrome Member: Why’s CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy running?

Technodrome Moderator: Because we have to chase him.

Technodrome Member: He didn’t do anything wrong.

Technodrome Moderator: Because he’s the hero Technodrome Forums deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So we’ll hunt him because he can take it. Because he’s not our hero. He’s a silent guardian. A watchful protector. A dark knight.
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 09:55 AM   #367
DrSpengler
TMNT Entity guy
 
DrSpengler's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 4,772
IDW's release of The Maxx: Maxximized was the same deal as Urban Legends (recolors of decades old material released monthly) and ran about the same length of time that Urban Legends is planned to (35 issues rather than 26, but close).

Wasn't a huge seller, but IDW stuck it out and completed the run. The Color Classics for Mirage Vol. 1 weren't big sellers either, but they always completed the arcs they went for. I'm not too worried about Urban Legends getting canned early.

And in regards to Urban Legends #1, I picked my copy up last Saturday and was really impressed with the colors, especially on the page where Raph reveals his hamburger face. This looks WAY better than the Color Classics stuff, though I kind of expected it to. This run will definitely be worth double-dipping.
__________________
TMNT Entity
Ninja Turtle comic reviews, essays, articles and more!


-Mark Pellegrini
DrSpengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 10:21 AM   #368
CJStyles
Hench Mutant
 
CJStyles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 273
The colors were fantastic. With some of the black and white issues I have, I didn’t enjoy them quite as much. The color definitely accentuates the horror that happened to Raph’s Face and Donatello being shot.
__________________
CJStyles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 10:24 PM   #369
DK2
Stone Warrior
 
DK2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 538
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJStyles View Post
From what I read, it also doesn’t help there were delays and what not that ruined sells.
TMNT Vol. 3 ran almost 2 years as a monthly title from Image and almost its final year went bi-monthly. It wasn't delays but more of a tactic to try to keep the title running instead. Though I think Eastman & Laird helped put money into the book to keep it afloat. Eventually Erik Larson told them it wasn't worth their efforts anymore with the poor sales numbers.
DK2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 10:48 AM   #370
AquaParade
Big Boss
 
AquaParade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 3,530
You also have to wonder if comic fans were in a strange place with TMNT at the time. Perhaps there was an element of betrayal or over-saturation from the comic book community. The 90's were bringing in fresh and edgy characters aimed at teenagers. Although this book adapted to that path, maybe it was too late in the eyes of that audience. The turtles were on lunchboxes, backpacks, and probably even diapers. Was the franchise entering it's first "downtime" era?

I was too young and had no community or resource to track this sort of thing, so I'm just having fun speculating.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 11:40 AM   #371
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 33,924
Yeah, by the mid/late 90's the original TMNT fad was pretty much dead and all the original kid fans were early teenagers. Likewise most of the adult Mirage fans probably lost interest by then.

I was only like 12 when Image came out, so I got whatever issues I could because my TMNT interest never died. Same reason Next Mutation bombed at the time because TMNT was "uncool" back then.

It made sense to wait till the early 2000's to revive TMNT again with Volume 4 and the 2k3 series.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 09:26 AM   #372
BartAllen
Stone Warrior
 
BartAllen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 773
I think the numbers began to fall because they kept mutilating the turtles. I remember collecting the book as it was being released and people at my shop would talk about how the book didn't feel like a real TMNT book. I think the term 'gore porn' was thrown around.

I didn't agree with that sentiment, but I do remember hearing it.

I always liked the Image series. I remember loving the two issues where the Dragon appeared.
__________________
Presented without comment. Make up your own mind about this situation.

http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=59001
BartAllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 09:47 AM   #373
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 13,691
Quote:
Originally Posted by BartAllen View Post
I think the numbers began to fall because they kept mutilating the turtles. I remember collecting the book as it was being released and people at my shop would talk about how the book didn't feel like a real TMNT book. I think the term 'gore porn' was thrown around.
I never minded it on the outset. The doubling down with Leo losing a hand late into things was kind of a... stretching point, though. Like, "Really, guys? Really? You're going to do this now, after all this?"
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 10:30 AM   #374
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Black Order Initiate
 
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 12,914
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
I never minded it on the outset. The doubling down with Leo losing a hand late into things was kind of a... stretching point, though. Like, "Really, guys? Really? You're going to do this now, after all this?"
I think, in the letter column, they explained that Leo losing his hand was the first step towards Don getting decyborgized...

But yeah, given that the writing may have already been on the wall...
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Technodrome Member: Why’s CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy running?

Technodrome Moderator: Because we have to chase him.

Technodrome Member: He didn’t do anything wrong.

Technodrome Moderator: Because he’s the hero Technodrome Forums deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So we’ll hunt him because he can take it. Because he’s not our hero. He’s a silent guardian. A watchful protector. A dark knight.
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 11:13 AM   #375
AquaParade
Big Boss
 
AquaParade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 3,530
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
I never minded it on the outset. The doubling down with Leo losing a hand late into things was kind of a... stretching point, though. Like, "Really, guys? Really? You're going to do this now, after all this?"
When you say "after all this?", do you mean after backlash they received for going overboard with mutilations, or that narratively it felt like things were supposed to be wrapping up?

Or maybe you mean neither of those things.

Personally, I really liked the lost limbs, and other visual changes to the characters (Other than Donatello - cool concept, but the design was very abrasive, and, frankly, ugly) .
I know to a lot of people, that sort of thing comes off as "shock value" or a shallow attempt to be edgy, but that's sort of what I like about this comic - you never really knew what to expect.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 11:15 AM   #376
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Black Order Initiate
 
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 12,914
Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
When you say "after all this?", do you mean after backlash they received for going overboard with mutilations, or that narratively it felt like things were supposed to be wrapping up?

Or maybe you mean neither of those things.

Personally, I really liked the lost limbs, and other visual changes to the characters (Other than Donatello - cool concept, but the design was very abrasive, and, frankly, ugly) .
I know to a lot of people, that sort of thing comes off as "shock value" or a shallow attempt to be edgy, but that's sort of what I like about this comic - you never really knew what to expect.
I loved it all. I'll take Volume 3 mutilations over Volume 4 mutilations any day.

Cyborg Donatello > Micro Donatello
Two Face Raphael > Gamera Raphael
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Technodrome Member: Why’s CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy running?

Technodrome Moderator: Because we have to chase him.

Technodrome Member: He didn’t do anything wrong.

Technodrome Moderator: Because he’s the hero Technodrome Forums deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So we’ll hunt him because he can take it. Because he’s not our hero. He’s a silent guardian. A watchful protector. A dark knight.
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 04:55 PM   #377
pferreira
Mad Scientist
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1,599
Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
A little too soon to tell, man. #1 issues always skew high. Wait a few months.
Okay thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
I was too young and had no community or resource to track this sort of thing, so I'm just having fun speculating.
Well if you look back we had Volume 3 on sale which was very different in tone to the kids friendly FW cartoon series and around the same time you had The Next Mutation which was also completely different to Volume 3. TMNT found itself in a crisis as the now teenage TMNT fans found TNM too juvenile while they found Volume 3 far too off what they were used to.

Saban was also trying to bring in new TMNT fans with TNM but it didn't work as the popularity of the TMNT was fading. To reiterate the only people who would want to tune into the TNM were fans who had grown up with Volume 1 and the FW series but the show was just too childish to watch. Just speaking from my own experience growing up.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 10:50 AM   #378
bushido
Stone Warrior
 
bushido's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: France
Posts: 573
Preview for issue 002. https://13thdimension.com/exclusive-...ban-legends-2/
__________________
bushido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 06:09 PM   #379
Sabacooza
Mad Scientist
 
Sabacooza's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,826
I got my issue early. I'm enjoying seeing these in color.
Sabacooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cyborg donatello, image tmnt, shredder raphael, urban legends

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:16 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.