The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

View Poll Results: Have you read the Archie series?
Yes, I've read most/all of it and still own the series 39 67.24%
I read it as a kid, but don't remember most of it 6 10.34%
I only read a handful of issues here and there 5 8.62%
I've never read any of it 8 13.79%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2011, 10:53 PM   #1
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 33,936
Have you read the Archie TMNT Adventure series?

Just curious. As popular as this series is with fans, its very old now and some people here have probably never read it.

I sometimes wish they made a cartoon adaption of TMNT Adventures, it was really good. We got some of the best villains in TMNT history out of this series, such as Null, Armaggon, Malinga, Verminator-X and a few others. As well as some of the best storylines.

I recently re-visited the series to see if the stories still hold up, and aside from the eco-preaching and some one-off bad issues, this series is actually still a fun read.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 10:55 PM   #2
Powder
Endless Screw
 
Powder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Shell Ri La
Posts: 25,450
I missed a few issues (I think like, mid fifties up until FST, and the seventies) but I have read most of it. Love it.
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 11:31 PM   #3
gobo
Wacky Action
 
gobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: on Earth
Posts: 12,787
I'm starting to wonder if there are some issues that I just never read. I honestly can't remember anything about the end of the run.
__________________
Live and let live... or go to hell.

gobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 11:34 PM   #4
DrSpengler
TMNT Entity guy
 
DrSpengler's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 4,775
Own it all but I still haven't read the Specials. Working my way toward them, though.
__________________
TMNT Entity
Ninja Turtle comic reviews, essays, articles and more!


-Mark Pellegrini
DrSpengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 11:34 PM   #5
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 33,936
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobo View Post
I'm starting to wonder if there are some issues that I just never read. I honestly can't remember anything about the end of the run.
The last couple of arcs were the Cyber Turtles in the future dealing with Verminator X, the Mooneyes saga where Ninjara and Raphael break-up, a couple of Turtle toddler stories, and then Year of the Turtle where Shredder tries to become immortal and Splinter and Mike de-mutate.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 11:43 PM   #6
Matches Malone
Stone Warrior
 
Matches Malone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: California
Posts: 954
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
The last couple of arcs were the Cyber Turtles in the future dealing with Verminator X, the Mooneyes saga where Ninjara and Raphael break-up, a couple of Turtle toddler stories, and then Year of the Turtle where Shredder tries to become immortal and Splinter and Mike de-mutate.
I found it slightly ironic that Dean Clarrain was kicked off the Archie series for injecting a mature tone when what immediately followed with Year of the Turtle certainly felt like a more mature tone. Surprisingly I actually did enjoy Year of the Turtle, despite the very 90's superheroey feel to it.
Matches Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 11:47 PM   #7
LeoNerdo
Stone Warrior
 
LeoNerdo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 872
I own almost all of it and have read it all except for a few of the side mini-series'. When it was good, it was very good. It really hit it's stride, and that lasted for a good number of issues.
LeoNerdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 11:49 PM   #8
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 33,936
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matches Malone View Post
I found it slightly ironic that Dean Clarrain was kicked off the Archie series for injecting a mature tone when what immediately followed with Year of the Turtle certainly felt like a more mature tone. Surprisingly I actually did enjoy Year of the Turtle, despite the very 90's superheroey feel to it.
Speaking of that, has Murphy officially given up on the "Forever War?"

I remember hearing something was supposed to be done with it after the Nick buy-out...even if it was only fan-made.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 07:23 AM   #9
marcelangelo
Mad Scientist
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,411
I have never read any of this...after finding out about it I was a little afraid the stories may be better suited for a younger audience...but from what I have read all over this forum here it might be worth checking them out(maybe even very much so)...anyone knows if the future tense book can be read without any knowledge fo the rest of the series?....I understand it collects later issues....
a thing comes to my mind now, I have read teenage mutant hero turtles comics of course when the ot was around and still have three issues of that one at home...any chance that these were part of the archie series in original form?....
marcelangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 08:01 AM   #10
Candy Kappa
Passive-Aggressive Snob
 
Candy Kappa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Vikingland
Posts: 13,416
Read a decent chuck of it from the Norwegian print, which I think had some of the UK hero stories as well.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 08:09 AM   #11
CrazySquirrel
Foot Soldier
 
CrazySquirrel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 147
It is an awesome read. Great characters other than the Turtles!
CrazySquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 08:53 AM   #12
Master Splinter
幸 - 愛 - 思う
 
Master Splinter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 2,819
I haven't read all of the specials and some of the other mini-series from Archie... I am waiting on the last 10 comics to come in to finish off my reading of the main series...

-ms
__________________
Master Splinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 09:45 AM   #13
Donnie
Something from the Past
 
Donnie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 3,090
Yes, have most of it and have read most of it. Missing a few issues. My favorite arc was by far the Future stories with Donnie and Raph, although my favorite issues were #49 and #52. Michelangelo: Blind Sight was pretty cool, too.
__________________
Click the banner above to read the first nine pages of SPIRIT GUILD: Issue #1!

When the silver-tongued spirit Pan escapes from Rancientia to Earth, possesses a British officer, and sparks the American Revolution, spirit warriors Blaken, Marston, Rowen, and Seddus take long-tailed weasels as hosts and develop extraordinary powers to counter Pan and his apocalyptic vision for Earth. Check out the first nine pages of SPIRIT GUILD #1 at spiritguildseries.com.
Donnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 10:23 AM   #14
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 33,936
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcelangelo View Post
I have never read any of this...after finding out about it I was a little afraid the stories may be better suited for a younger audience...but from what I have read all over this forum here it might be worth checking them out(maybe even very much so)...anyone knows if the future tense book can be read without any knowledge fo the rest of the series?....I understand it collects later issues....
a thing comes to my mind now, I have read teenage mutant hero turtles comics of course when the ot was around and still have three issues of that one at home...any chance that these were part of the archie series in original form?....
Its not really aimed at younger audiences. While it isn't "adult" its pretty much aimed at something everyone can enjoy.

There's also lots of action, and even some violence and deaths.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 10:52 AM   #15
DrSpengler
TMNT Entity guy
 
DrSpengler's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 4,775
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcelangelo View Post
I have never read any of this...after finding out about it I was a little afraid the stories may be better suited for a younger audience...but from what I have read all over this forum here it might be worth checking them out(maybe even very much so)...anyone knows if the future tense book can be read without any knowledge fo the rest of the series?....I understand it collects later issues....
The best way to describe TMNTA is that it aged with the audience. It started out as cartoon episode adaptations and when it began new material it was good stuff but nothing shocking or controversial and there are a few early arcs that I cannot stand.

But the series gets very cerebral and even dark toward the end and it has the most solid ongoing narrative of any TMNT comic; it flows very well.

It isn't blood and nudity and cursing; not that kind of "mature". But the stories are very smartly written, the characterization is strong and the arcs are suitably epic. It's a very well-rounded series suitable for all ages, but that doesn't mean it is insipidly kiddy, either.

I dunno if I can recommend the "Future Tense" trade. It was a very poorly put together book, collecting random issues around a "theme", but the arcs lose their strength without any of the build up or context from the preceding issues. Its also in black and white, but more importantly, it's missing a page of content. Again, a very poorly put together trade. The missing page was posted on TMNT.com for a while, but when Viacom took the site over they removed it. So yeah.

It's vertainly better than nothing, and it collects some of the later issues that can be hard/expensive to track down. So if there's no other alternative, then go for it. But I honestly think TMNTA is a series best read from beginning to end to get the full impact.

Quote:
a thing comes to my mind now, I have read teenage mutant hero turtles comics of course when the ot was around and still have three issues of that one at home...any chance that these were part of the archie series in original form?....
The Technodrome's own Demon Alucard made This very hand guide to the Fleetway series, detailing which issues contained reprints and which contained original material.

So if you can recall the covers, that should tell you what you got.
__________________
TMNT Entity
Ninja Turtle comic reviews, essays, articles and more!


-Mark Pellegrini
DrSpengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 10:56 AM   #16
Hermano Dyvas
Hench Mutant
 
Hermano Dyvas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Europe
Posts: 355
I've read all of it and it only got better as it went on. A great series.
Now release the forever war!
Hermano Dyvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 11:04 AM   #17
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 33,936
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSpengler View Post
But the stories are very smartly written, the characterization is strong and the arcs are suitably epic. It's a very well-rounded series suitable for all ages, but that doesn't mean it is insipidly kiddy, either.
And don't forget, the sense of continuity is amazing. Nothing is forgotten, old characters and arcs are constantly brought back and expanded on. It really was an amazing universe and Muprhy kept digging back to old things thought to be forgotten.

Funnily enough, the only character who never made a return or got any follow-up is Vid Vicious, who just flies off after Shredder releases him from the computer when he captures Donatello and is never seen again.

My guess is Muprhy realized what a terrible character Vid Vicious was and decided to just forget about him. LOL.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 11:10 AM   #18
Hermano Dyvas
Hench Mutant
 
Hermano Dyvas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Europe
Posts: 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Funnily enough, the only character who never made a return or got any follow-up is Vid Vicious, who just flies off after Shredder releases him from the computer when he captures Donatello and is never seen again.

My guess is Muprhy realized what a terrible character Vid Vicious was and decided to just forget about him. LOL.
And don't forget about those three mutants that took over Innsmouth, Massachussets in #26! They were still alive at the end of their issue though never heard from again.
Hermano Dyvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 11:40 AM   #19
wilddiverse
Stone Warrior
 
wilddiverse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Chicago-ish
Posts: 697
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSpengler View Post
I dunno if I can recommend the "Future Tense" trade. It was a very poorly put together book, collecting random issues around a "theme", but the arcs lose their strength without any of the build up or context from the preceding issues. Its also in black and white, but more importantly, it's missing a page of content. Again, a very poorly put together trade. The missing page was posted on TMNT.com for a while, but when Viacom took the site over they removed it. So yeah.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermano Dyvas View Post
And don't forget about those three mutants that took over Innsmouth, Massachussets in #26! They were still alive at the end of their issue though never heard from again.
Never heard from again in an issue that was printed-- as seen in Coney Island Days (paid for/unpublished Archie story by Milton Knight): http://www.miltonknight.net/cid.html
__________________
Great Typo, Unfortunate Truth:
"The once gritty, satirical, hard-hitting Turtles became cuddly, fun-loving, pizz-swirling heroes to little kids"
<Picture of a dead turtle>
wilddiverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 11:42 AM   #20
Master Splinter
幸 - 愛 - 思う
 
Master Splinter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 2,819
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSpengler View Post
The missing page was posted on TMNT.com for a while, but when Viacom took the site over they removed it. So yeah.
Do you (or anyone for that matter) have that page? I have the Future Tense trade and I don't remember ever saving that page.

-ms
__________________
Master Splinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
archie comics

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:24 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.